Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I am curious how many people the Chinese couple infected in the Philippines as they traveled from Cebu, Dumaguette, and Manila. Most Filipinos spend any money they have within 24 hours, so keeping people from working  is not going to work for more than a couple days. Most families eat from the same spoon and drink from the same glass, so it will spread to an entire family quickly. That said, they have amazing immune systems.
There was a rumor that a patient had the virus at a local hospital and people stopped going. I took my gf there on Saturday and it had a third of the normal number of people there and her doctor did not show up. The medical facilities can't handle it and they can't handle the bodies. They are big on open casket funerals here, and not big on cremation.
Things will be very different here if thousands of people get sick.

Sounds like a great time to get into the local casket making business

On 2/2/2020 at 12:26 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

I want to see 2 more patients at "just contracted pneumonia stage" get treated with Remdesivir and respond the same way.

I plan on watching Gilead Sciences tomorrow morning when the market opens.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=exI3XoiUOua1tgWNnquwDw&q=gilead+sciences+stock+price&oq=Gilead+Sciences&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0i131l4j0l6.2217.2217..4512...0.0..0.79.79.1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.YcMzJh9t108

Gilead closed friday at 63, opened at 68 and promptly dropped to 66 (profiteers) then closed at 66 up 5%.  But the 52-week low is 60 and high is 70 so there's not much to see here.  Motley Fool also says that there's not enough time for a full approval cycle (which would enable profits):

""Should investors take advantage of this rapidly developing healthcare story? While there's a growing chance that this may in fact be a boon for one or more biotechs at the end of the day, it's still a long shot. Gilead (or any other coronavirus player for that matter) is highly unlikely to get a marketing approval for a coronavirus treatment before the outbreak simply peters out. In short, this breaking news story is not a solid reason to buy this top biotech stock today.""

• Like 1

This may be why the official numbers have remained so consistent.

In a Thursday statement, the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission said a total of ten biosafety labs, "with the corresponding protection levels," will be able to test nearly 2,000 samples every day when at full capacity. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-china-shortage-test-kits-lottery-2020-1

So I (stupidly) went along with a friend's suggestion last Friday to get some Sichuan food at a place in Alhambra, CA, which has a large Asian (and, specifically, Chinese) population.  We walk in and the servers are all wearing masks and surgical gloves.  The host (also attired the same way) comes up to us and asks us if he can check us for fever with a forehead thermometer.  

I don't know about you, but that's definitely what I want to see when I enter a restaurant.

Did we immediately flee?  Hell, no.  We got our temps taken and sat down to eat chicken stir-fried with chilis, toothpick lamb, and wonton in chili oil.

Now if I could just get over this fever, cough, and shortness of breath that developed over the weekend . . .

• Haha 1

Shitting yourself would work, too.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-may-transmit-through-digestive-tract.amp

In addition to respiratory droplets, the novel coronavirus that has sickened thousands globally may also transmit through the digestive tract, specifically the fecal-oral route, according to a report.

Scientists from the Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University and the Wuhan Institute of Virology of the Chinese Academy of Science recently discovered “virus genetic material” in stool samples and rectal swabs from some patients, Chinese state media reported, according to Bloomberg.

Don't want to interrupt the group fun, but.... 

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — The Chinese city of Hangzhou announced on Tue (Feb. 4) a series of drastic measures in a bid to contain the novel coronavirus that has sickened over 20,000 globally and claimed 426 lives.

According to a public notice by the city government, people’s movement will be strictly restricted across all villages and communities. Residents will have their temperatures measured at checkpoints and will be required to present their identity documents as part of tightened access control, wrote CNA.

Hangzhou is yet another city in Zhejiang Province implementing radical measures since the region became one of the most seriously affected areas following Hubei, the epicenter of the virus outbreak.

Wenzhou, a city 800 kilometers away from Wuhan, has been placed under lockdown since Feb. 2. Its 9 million population is prohibited from moving around the city, with only one member of each household permitted to go out for the purchase of food and necessities every other day.

A little good news, that doesn’t involve a midget, NTTIATWWT

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

Study claiming new coronavirus can be transmitted by people without symptoms was flawed

A paper published on 30 January in The New England Journal of Medicine(NEJM) about the first four people in Germany infected with a novel coronavirus made many headlines because it seemed to confirm what public health experts feared: that someone who has no symptoms from infection with the virus, named 2019-nCoV, can still transmit it to others. That might make controlling the virus much harder.

But now, it turns out that information was wrong. The Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the German government’s public health agency, has written a letter to NEJM to set the record straight, even though it was not involved in the paper. 

She took a fever-lowering medication, and the Germans didn’t realize it

But the researchers didn’t actually speak to the woman before they published the paper. The last author, Michael Hoelscher of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Medical Center, says the paper relied on information from the four other patients: “They told us that the patient from China did not appear to have any symptoms.” Afterward, however, RKI and the Health and Food Safety Authority of the state of Bavaria did talk to the Shanghai patient on the phone, and it turned out she did have symptoms while in Germany. According to people familiar with the call, she felt tired, suffered from muscle pain, and took paracetamol, a fever-lowering medication. (An RKI spokesperson would only confirm to Science that the woman had symptoms.)

Not all is rosy though

https://www.ksbw.com/article/san-benito-county-coronavirus-patients-transferred-to-out-of-county-hospital/30753550#

SAN BENITO COUNTY, Calif. —

The San Benito County Public Health Department announced on Sunday that a husband and wife were confirmed to have the novel coronavirus. 

According to public health officials, the couple are both 57 years old and had recently returned to China where husband had spent time in Wuhan. Both of them self-quarantined in their home when they returned to America where doctors had been monitoring their status.

Early Monday morning it was announced that due to worsening symptoms both patients were taken to an out of county hospital. 

“It was then determined that both patients needed to be admitted to a hospital equipped for a higher level of care. The patients have been transferred out of San Benito County by specialty ambulance,” said Dr. Marty Fenstersheib, San Benito County Health Officer.

57 minutes ago, davidg said:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-may-transmit-through-digestive-tract.amp

In addition to respiratory droplets, the novel coronavirus that has sickened thousands globally may also transmit through the digestive tract, specifically the fecal-oral route, according to a report.

Scientists from the Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University and the Wuhan Institute of Virology of the Chinese Academy of Science recently discovered “virus genetic material” in stool samples and rectal swabs from some patients, Chinese state media reported, according to Bloomberg.

OK. Avoid the fecal-oral route. Got it.

What else?

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Are you still talking about the midget?

I am talking about all of them. Unfortunately parasitic infections  are so common here that I gave up the habit of sticking my tongue up their ass, but I would hate to give up the other. Unfortunately the dwarf, she has a normal body type, has gotten chubby (39 kilos) since I saw her last year. She never lost the weight she gained when she had her son two years ago.

I have a cough now, but I think it is bacterial based on the sinus congestion so I am taking antibiotics and staying home. 

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

So I (stupidly) went along with a friend's suggestion last Friday to get some Sichuan food at a place in Alhambra, CA, which has a large Asian (and, specifically, Chinese) population.  We walk in and the servers are all wearing masks and surgical gloves.  The host (also attired the same way) comes up to us and asks us if he can check us for fever with a forehead thermometer.  

I don't know about you, but that's definitely what I want to see when I enter a restaurant.

Did we immediately flee?  Hell, no.  We got our temps taken and sat down to eat chicken stir-fried with chilis, toothpick lamb, and wonton in chili oil.

Now if I could just get over this fever, cough, and shortness of breath that developed over the weekend . . .

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for quite a while.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/nih-dr-anthony-fauci-25percent-of-china-coronavirus-cases-very-serious.html

NIH doctor says 25% of coronavirus cases in China are ‘very serious,’ requiring ‘intensive care’

I'm not one to argue with the NIH but that isn't what the numbers are showing. There is no easy calculation, but it looks like it is in the 10% range. Either way, that's not good.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away