Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Tamiflu also reportedly causes hallucinations.  Not sure if it was the flu or the medicine, but the last time I took it I had very intense visions while falling asleep.  Not sure I’d take it again.  

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Dude, just put on Dark Side of the Moon and lean into that MF'er.

54 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It wasn’t like they were fun visions. More like aggressive, hostile faces.  The kind of thing that makes you jolt awake.  

So then you needed The Wall instead?

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo

Again, broken record, we have no idea how many they are testing everyday, but with today's total of 23,865, we have these increases:

• Jan 28 - 32% increase, 1,459 new cases
  • Jan 29 - 29% increase, 1,737 new cases
  • Jan 30 - 26% increase,  1,981 new cases
  • Jan 31 - 22% increase,  2,099 new cases
  • Feb 1 - 22% increase,  2,589 new cases
  • Feb 2 - 20% increase,  2,825 new cases
  • Feb 3 - 19% increase,  3,233 new cases
  • Feb 4 - 17% increase,  3,427 new cases

Edit: Similar results with the death increases - the % is around 15 now, which is lower than previous days.

The percentage increase seems to be slowly dropping, while we are seeing more diagnosed cases, which sounds like either A) the testing is better or B) they are able to test more, or C) Both A and B.

And we are just a few days away from Wuhan hitting its 14-day shutdown, and only 5% of infected make it the full 14 days without symptoms.

So Surly mathematicians and epidemiologists, are we close to seeing a drop in new cases, day-over-day?  And are these drops indicative of the various shutdowns finally kicking in and limiting the spread?

Or to put it another way, the Chinese have shutdown a shitload of stuff until February 9th (at the earliest, depending on province).  Is that a magical date that their wizards came up with, where things would be slowing down?

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

I was searching this thread for pharma stock tips,  nothing.  Gilead for anyone interested.  You're welcome.  

Published: Feb 4, 2020 4:14 p.m. ET

Gilead Sciences Inc. GILD, -1.48% shares declined in the extended session Tuesday after the drug maker's quarterly results and outlook fell short of Wall Street estimates.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

So then you needed The Wall instead?

spacer.png

Exactly!  This isn't that hard.

Like I'm playin' cards with my sister's kids or somethin'.

Right here brah...

Edited by Cajun

So the Chinese government said their testing capacity has increased, and they are getting through their backlog, and so we will see a big rise in confirmed numbers.    In theory, given the quarantines and working through the backlogs, the suspected cases should stabilize, and even start dropping.  

If the quarantines/travel bans have been effective, and if the testing improved   Big if.

Those who came down with it between January 19-22 should be entering the recovered phase.   There was a big jump in new cases around the 24th, so hopefully we are a few days away from a big jump in recovered.  

• Like 1

I can’t find an official source, but some are claiming that “suspected” means they did a quick scan of their lungs looking for pneumonia, and they switch to the confirmed list when they get a positive coronavirus test.  

Makes a lot of sense.  They could crank through a lot of scans if the hospital was going full-tilt 24/7.   And those whose scans are clean are probably sent home, even if they haven been tested or show other signs.  

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can’t find an official source, but some are claiming that “suspected” means they did a quick scan of their lungs looking for pneumonia, and they switch to the confirmed list when they get a positive coronavirus test.  

Makes a lot of sense.  They could crank through a lot of scans if the hospital was going full-tilt 24/7.   And those whose scans are clean are probably sent home, even if they haven been tested or show other signs.  

saw similar things, but not on sources I would count on. Local newspapers, etc. I anticipate a slight increase in international cases but with the isolation protocols (and everyone sitting at home listing to Floyd tripping on TamiFlu) these cases can be contained. Ecuador had a negative hit today. Lets just keep this fucking thing out of Africa and the Earth's refugee camps. The False Ecuador report came out on Reuters just showing even the pro's are having a hard time with this one. 

@RayDog What is the latest on the Pilipino midget population? It shrinking due to this? 

8 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This is shitty fucking writing/journalism.  So 1 passenger tested positive on 1/25.   Now 10 passengers tested positive.   Was the ship quarantined in the interim immediately?  For the new positives, any travel to China or relation to the initial patient or is the implication that he infected random people on board?  Potentially interesting story with lack of basic facts.

Tokyo (CNN)Japanese authorities are racing to contain a possible outbreak of the Wuhan coronavirus after it was revealed that an infected passenger flew into Tokyo and spent a few days aboard a Princess Cruises ship, forcing authorities to lock down the vessel and quarantine thousands of people on board.

The ship, the Diamond Princess, ended its planned 14-day itinerary early and is currently docked off the coast of Yokohama, not far from the Japanese capital. Medical officials are going room-by-room to check each guests' temperature and medical condition, Japan's health ministry said in a statement. Several passengers have reported feeling ill, and the tests to check if they contracted the virus will take four to five hours, the ministry said.
Of the 31 people who have been tested for the virus, 10 cases tested positive for the virus, Japan's Health Ministry said. Authorities are still waiting for the results of more than 100 other samples.
Passengers and crew were initially required to stay on board until at least Tuesday night, but it appears they may be there longer. Japanese health officials said more passengers than expected need to be temporarily quarantined while being tested, and it could take another day to finish the screenings.

There are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members on board, Princess Cruises said in a statement.

Tokyo (CNN)Japanese authorities are racing to contain a possible outbreak of the Wuhan coronavirus after it was revealed that an infected passenger flew into Tokyo and spent a few days aboard a Princess Cruises ship, forcing authorities to lock down the vessel and quarantine thousands of people on board.
The ship, the Diamond Princess, ended its planned 14-day itinerary early and is currently docked off the coast of Yokohama, not far from the Japanese capital. Medical officials are going room-by-room to check each guests' temperature and medical condition, Japan's health ministry said in a statement. Several passengers have reported feeling ill, and the tests to check if they contracted the virus will take four to five hours, the ministry said. Of the 31 people who have been tested for the virus, 10 cases tested positive for the virus, Japan's Health Ministry said. Authorities are still waiting for the results of more than 100 other samples. Passengers and crew were initially required to stay on board until at least Tuesday night, but it appears they may be there longer. Japanese health officials said more passengers than expected need to be temporarily quarantined while being tested, and it could take another day to finish the screenings.     There are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members on board, Princess Cruises said in a statement.

Reason number eleventy billion why I’m never setting foot on a giant cruise ship. Their goddamned Petri dishes of disease for people who don’t know how to actually travel.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Reason number eleventy billion why I’m never setting foot on a giant cruise ship. Their goddamned Petri dishes of disease for people who don’t know how to actually travel.

Yep.  Need a few from the northern hordes to launch arrows and turn that bitch into a full on pyre.   

The 2nd and 3rd place provinces are about where Wuhan was on Jan 23, with just under 900 cases.  ( Zhejiang province : 895 ) and ( Guangdong province :  870 ).

It took Wuhan 3 days to go from that level to about 4,000 cases.   

Wuhan went  Jan 23: about 900,  Jan 24: about 1900,  Jan 25: about 2700,   Jan 26: about 4000

That seem like a good bench mark to see if China is getting a hold of this.  If on Friday afternoon those two provinces are in the 4K range it's not a good sign.   On the other hand, the  jump from yesterday to today was less than a 1000.  A surprisingly low number.... but an encouraging sign

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

The ship, the Diamond Princess, ended its planned 14-day itinerary early and is currently docked off the coast of Yokohama, not far from the Japanese capital. Medical officials are going room-by-room to check each guests' temperature and medical condition, Japan's health ministry said in a statement. Several passengers have reported feeling ill, and the tests to check if they contracted the virus will take four to five hours, the ministry said.
Of the 31 people who have been tested for the virus, 10 cases tested positive for the virus, Japan's Health Ministry said. Authorities are still waiting for the results of more than 100 other samples.
Passengers and crew were initially required to stay on board until at least Tuesday night, but it appears they may be there longer. Japanese health officials said more passengers than expected need to be temporarily quarantined while being tested, and it could take another day to finish the screenings.

There are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members on board, Princess Cruises said in a statement.

Finally we get a worthy adversary for the Norovirus!  Let the games begin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So this is kind of bizarre....

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — As many experts question the veracity of China's statistics for the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Tencent over the weekend seems to have inadvertently released what is potentially the actual number of infections and deaths, which were astronomically higher than official figures.

On late Saturday evening (Feb. 1), Tencent, on its webpage titled "Epidemic Situation Tracker", showed confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019nCoV) in China as standing at 154,023, 10 times the official figure at the time. It listed the number of suspected cases as 79,808, four times the official figure.

The number of cured cases was only 269, well below the official number that day of 300. Most ominously, the death toll listed was 24,589, vastly higher than the 300 officially listed that day.

Moments later, Tencent updated the numbers to reflect the government's "official" numbers that day. Netizens noticed that Tencent has on at least three occasions posted extremely high numbers, only to quickly lower them to government-approved statistics.

Netizens also noticed that each time the screen with the large numbers appears, it shows a comparison with the previous day's data which demonstrates a "reasonable" incremental increase, much like comparisons of official numbers. This has led some netizens to speculate that Tencent has two sets of data, the real data and "processed" data.

Some are speculating that a coding problem could be causing the real "internal" data to accidentally appear. Others believe that someone behind the scenes is trying to leak the real numbers.

More (incl. screenshots):  https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

Just now, BrickHorn said:

That makes no sense.  If the fatality rate is closer to 1 in 5, then why aren’t we seeing a rate even remotely close to that outside of China?

I'm not saying the speculation in the Taiwan News bit is legitimate, but I'm not sure if your question makes much sense when no country (besides China of course) even has ten people infected. 

4 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I'm not saying the speculation in the Taiwan News bit is legitimate, but I'm not sure if your question makes much sense when no country (besides China of course) even has ten people infected. 

That is incorrect.  There are over 200 cases confirmed outside of China, and several countries have reported more than 10 cases.

7 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The 2nd and 3rd place provinces are about where Wuhan was on Jan 23, with just under 900 cases.  ( Zhejiang province : 895 ) and ( Guangdong province :  870 ).

It took Wuhan 3 days to go from that level to about 4,000 cases.   

Wuhan went  Jan 23: about 900,  Jan 24: about 1900,  Jan 25: about 2700,   Jan 26: about 4000

That seem like a good bench mark to see if China is getting a hold of this.  If on Friday afternoon those two provinces are in the 4K range it's not a good sign.   On the other hand, the  jump from yesterday to today was less than a 1000.  A surprisingly low number.... but an encouraging sign

It's so adorable that you believe numbers coming from China.  

• Like 1

OK.  The last numbers I saw were a week old, so let's run with your numbers (devil's advocate mode engaged).  200 cases outside of China.  Is it possible that the 200 cases outside of China are not special?  ie. not representative of the average (so you wouldn't expect outcomes to represent the average within China)?  Is the standard of care better outside of China?  Has the window of danger already passed for the non-China cases?  Could there be other mitigating variables?  I don't know, but it seems possible to me.  Even 200 cases is really small compared to the overall China sample.

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

OK.  The last numbers I saw were a week old, so let's run with your numbers (devil's advocate mode engaged).  200 cases outside of China.  Is it possible that the 200 cases outside of China are not special?  ie. not representative of the average (so you wouldn't expect outcomes to represent the average within China)?  Is the standard of care better outside of China?  Has the window of danger already passed for the non-China cases?  Could there be other mitigating variables?  I don't know, but it seems possible to me.  Even 200 cases is really small compared to the overall China sample.

I'm wondering what happens when it gets to India.

53 minutes ago, bernorange said:

So this is kind of bizarre....

More (incl. screenshots):  https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

My only problem with that, besides the fact that there should be bodies in the trees at those numbers, and we should have seen a much worse situation outside of China, is there is no reason for the Chinese government to be sending out such top secret numbers to a multinational social media platform.

It’s like if the US government owned a part of twitter or Facebook, and sent some top secret numbers, along with the fake numbers, to the service and said “here’s the actual numbers, but don’t use them, use these fake numbers instead!”

Any real numbers are locked up tighter than Xi’s current location.  

• Like 2

So the baby born to the woman with the virus, is testing positive.  

Some good news: Recoveries shot up to 892, and should continue rising sharply.  

A new lab opened up in Wuhan, that is supposed to process up to 10,000 tests a day.   Suspected cases should drop, confirmed cases should shoot way up.  

Lovely:

This dickhead needs a good ass-kicking, so he can "go viral" on Worldstar

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/02/03/coronavirus-plane-prank/

Peel police have arrested a man for mischief after he reportedly told a plane full of people bound for Jamaica that he had coronavirus, forcing it to return to Toronto.

The WestJet flight, headed to Montego Bay, departed Toronto around 10 a.m. Monday and was about halfway there when the man reportedly stood up and told crew and passengers he had coronavirus.

The pilot radioed back and returned the flight to Toronto Pearson Airport. The plane landed at around 2:10 p.m. and the man was assessed by medical staff and deemed symptom free. He was then arrested.

“It would be something else if I said hey guys I have a bomb strapped to me … I have a weapon on me …  people blew it out of proportion. To me it was simply a joke,” he says.

“About mid-way through the flight I stood up, pulled my video camera out – I was going to post it to Instagram, send it to 6ixbuzz so it goes viral,” he explained. “I looked around, I said ‘can I get everybody’s attention please’ and … I followed up by saying, word-for-word, I said ‘I just came back from Hunan province, the capital of the coronavirus…I’m not feeling too well. Thank you,’” adding that nobody laughed and about 15 minutes later all the airline staff were wearing masks and put him in a mask and gloves as well.

When the plane started turning back, he says he began to second guess his actions.

https://www.hk01.com/政情/430130/武漢肺炎-林鄭口罩-戴咗都要除返-論-前線公務員-令人費解

Carrie Lam announced a mask ban for all government workers. Unless the worker is showing symptoms, workers may not wear masks. Even if a mask is already worn, it must be removed. Government workers are shocked and angered by the increased risk of infection and spread. Hong Kong CDC advises the general public to wear masks due to the dense population.

What the fuck.  It’s like she wants more demonstrations.  

You remember her, right?  This lady:

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

This dickhead needs a good ass-kicking, so he can "go viral" on Worldstar

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/02/03/coronavirus-plane-prank/

This fucking guy should have to reimburse 100% of everyone's travel costs/hotel bills etc. Total horseshit. As a frequent traveler, fuck this guy in the goat ass.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.hk01.com/政情/430130/武漢肺炎-林鄭口罩-戴咗都要除返-論-前線公務員-令人費解

What the fuck.  It’s like she wants more demonstrations.  

You remember her, right?  This lady:

spacer.png

Well, it fucks up their facial recognition software, so they can't catch dissenters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well, it fucks up their facial recognition software, so they can't catch dissenters.

It was thrown out by their courts supposedly, and this does affect only government workers, but that puts them on the side of hating her.  

The theory is the government is short on masks, but she manages to fuck up a simple idea, that could have been used to portray the government as bravely going without masks so that the civilians have more. 

But she apparently loathes masks, because of the whole protest thing.  

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was thrown out by their courts supposedly, and this does affect only government workers, but that puts them on the side of hating her.  

The theory is the government is short on masks, but she manages to fuck up a simple idea, that could have been used to portray the government as bravely going without masks so that the civilians have more. 

But she apparently loathes masks, because of the whole protest thing.  

This is total bullshit.  She's a terrible leader

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
typo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away