Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Nearly everything they did fostered the spread of the virus instead of mitigating it. Aiming nursing home staff who were positive towards those most vulnerable to it was like euthanasia day. And requiring nursing facilities that did not have any Covid cases to take Covid cases was also insane....no way they emerge from this unscathed.  Or the statement from their administration admonishing reports that the subways were unsafe - actually encouraging their use and telling riders there was no danger.   

Oh, I didn't say that they emerge unscathed.  It's just that the mechanisms for punishment are political, not in the courts.

Immunity applies or it doesn't.  It doesn't matter how angry the wrongful acts make us.  Little mistakes -- immunity.  Big mistakes -- also immunity.

But if these are bad enough decisions and actions, they'll pay at the ballot box.  That's just the way the law works and again, it's not some new "loophole" some jerkoff bureaucrat came up with.

william-blackstone-quote-lbk3z1x.jpg

Note, however, that in most jurisdictions, the Legislature could choose to waive immunity for any specific claim.  So, the lege could waive immunity for claims for nursing home deaths as a result of these actions (likely with a damages cap in some amount).

Edited by Brisketexan

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Because anyone against illegal immigration and wanting to take measures against it hates brown people. You're drive by posts always add so much to the discussion.

I don't know whether you're lying to us or yourself, but you said that you wanted to personally shoot people who were legally coming to seek asylum. That's not "wanting to take measures" against illegal immigration.

• Like 2

Well, let's log this in the "who could have seen this coming" category....

This will do wonders if there is a 2nd round

So because of a mismanaged budget, volunteers from around the country will have to pay in-state taxes.  Assume a second round?  This is going to devastate volunteer workers, etc that might come from other regions.  What a cluster....

Health care workers that came to New York to help fight the coronavirus pandemic at its epicenter will have to pay state taxes, according to the governor.

He addressed the issues Tuesday at a news conference.

"We're not in a position to provide any subsidies right now because we have a $13 billion deficit," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "So there's a lot of good things I'd like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do, but it would be irresponsible for me to sit here looking at a $13 billion deficit and say I'm gonna spend more money, when I can't even pay the essential services."

Even though the state government asked thousands of people to come to New York from out of state to help fight coronavirus, they will have to pay New York state taxes, even on income they might make from their home states that they're paid while in New York.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Health care workers that came to New York to help fight the coronavirus pandemic at its epicenter will have to pay state taxes, according to the governor.

Thanks for putting your life on the line, heroes!! We are all in this together! Remember the health workers!

Oh...and here's your bill.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My mortgage is fha so federally backed, so i just had to ask.  Figured why wait until our situation gets bad, just do it now.  I can undo it in 6 months if it turns out I didn’t need it. Or explore more advantageous resolutions. 

got it. thanks.

Even though the state government asked thousands of people to come to New York from out of state to help fight coronavirus, they will have to pay New York state taxes, even on income they might make from their home states that they're paid while in New York.

W.  T.    F

• Like 2

So because of a mismanaged budget, volunteers from around the country will have to pay in-state taxes.  Assume a second round?  This is going to devastate volunteer workers, etc that might come from other regions.  What a cluster....

He addressed the issues Tuesday at a news conference.

"We're not in a position to provide any subsidies right now because we have a $13 billion deficit," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "So there's a lot of good things I'd like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do, but it would be irresponsible for me to sit here looking at a $13 billion deficit and say I'm gonna spend more money, when I can't even pay the essential services."

Lol. Such a shit thing to do. But I need to remember.. NY first, the rest of us are a distant second

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

They'll use sovereign immunity, and unless NY law creates some really odd exceptions, it will prevail.  As it should.  Any number of gov't decisions can result directly or indirectly in physical harm/death.  See my example used elsewhere -- the gov't decision to raise a speed limit on a road from 55 to 65 will result in some number of increased deaths.  But long-established law (seriously, back to England) is that the King is immune from the results of his decisions except in very limited circumstances (takings law, that sort of thing).

So, even though the other 49 states were busy locking down their nursing home right away, preventing visitation. Testing etc, and here they were throwing foxes in the hen house and there are no consequences?  Will they at least be bothered to be asked what science they were using to go against conventional wisdom?

What are we doing this for?': Doctors are fed up with conspiracies ravaging ERs

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/what-are-we-doing-doctors-are-fed-conspiracies-ravaging-ers-n1201446

At the end of another long shift treating coronavirus patients, Dr. Hadi Halazun opened his Facebook page to find a man insisting to him that “no one’s dying” and that the coronavirus is “fake news” drummed up by the news media.

Hadi tried to engage and explain his first-hand experience with the virus. In reply, another user insinuated he wasn't a real doctor, saying that pictures from his profile showing him at concerts and music festivals proved it.

“I told them: ‘I am a real doctor. There are 200 people in my hospital’s ICU,’" said Halazun, a cardiologist in New York. "And they said, ‘Give me your credentials.’ I engaged with them, and they kicked me off their wall."

“I left work and I felt so deflated. I let it get to me.”

Halazun, like many health care professionals, is dealing with a bombardment of misinformation and harassment from conspiracy theorists, some of whom have moved beyond posting online to pressing doctors for proof of the severity of the pandemic.

And it's taking a toll. Hazalun said that dealing with conspiracy theorists is the “second-most painful thing I’ve had to deal with, other than separation of families from their loved one."

Several other doctors shared similar experiences, saying that they regularly had to treat patients who had sought care too late because of conspiracy theories spread on social media, and that social media companies have to do more to counteract the forces that spread lies for profit.

(More in the link)

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

So, even though the other 49 states were busy locking down their nursing home right away, preventing visitation. Testing etc, and here they were throwing foxes in the hen house and there are no consequences?  Will they at least be bothered to be asked what science they were using to go against conventional wisdom?

Did I say there would be no consequences?  I said that Cuomo and other officials would likely be immune from civil suit.  If this is as big a fuckup as it's being presented, there will be significant political consequences (or there should be, if the voters are paying attention).

Again, immunity applies regardless of the degree of the fuckup.  If a state wants to make the speed limit 100 mph everywhere, resulting in a crapload of deaths, they would still be immune.  If they want to repeal the fire code, letting slumlords build firetraps that kill people, they would be immune.  

It's a policy decision that our system of law made long ago, and has retained for centuries.  The penalties for such failures are political -- all that immunity means is that they aren't dealt with at the courthouse (the underlying reason is that it's not Cuomo's money at stake -- it's the state of New York's money).  And again, if the legislature decides that the circumstances merit, they could waive immunity (either completely or to a limited dollar amount) to allow such claims.  But yes, all of this is how immunity works.  Arguing "but the fuckup here is REALLY bad" doesn't change anything (hint: that's what EVERY plaintiff argues/would argue in a case where immunity applies).

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

W.  T.    F

What can they do to you if you don’t go back to NY if you don’t pay your state taxes?  

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm pretty sure this is some shoddy reporting. First, are they truly volunteers? Volunteers don't get paid, and as a result don't get taxed. Second, to the extent they are being paid for work in New York, they technically owe New York taxes. As far as I know, the 14-day rule relates to whether employers are required to withhold wages, but I don't think it actually changes an individual's tax liability. Third, they aren't taxing ALL income, just the income derived from the work in New York. Finally, this is mainly a paperwork hassle for those companies that sent their employees to work in New York (e.g., withholding New York taxes). But a lot of the healthcare workers came in response to specific contracts/offers to work in New York, so those entities should have known from the get go that New York taxes were in play.  

Edited by Dahobbs

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

W.  T.    F

NY state income tax laws are draconian, in their favor. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm pretty sure this is some shoddy reporting. First, are they truly volunteers? Volunteers don't get paid, and as a result don't get taxed. Second, to the extent their being paid for work in New York, they technically owe New York taxes. As far as I know, the 14-day rule relates to whether employers are required to withhold wages, but I don't think it actually changes an individual's tax liability. Third, they aren't taxing ALL income, just the income derived from the work in New York. Finally, this is mainly a paperwork hassle for those companies that sent their employees to work in New York (e.g., withholding New York taxes). But a lot of the healthcare workers came in response to specific contracts/offers to work in New York, so those entities should have known from the get go that New York taxes were in play.  

You seem fun....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

They'll use sovereign immunity, and unless NY law creates some really odd exceptions, it will prevail.  As it should.  Any number of gov't decisions can result directly or indirectly in physical harm/death.  See my example used elsewhere -- the gov't decision to raise a speed limit on a road from 55 to 65 will result in some number of increased deaths.  But long-established law (seriously, back to England) is that the King is immune from the results of his decisions except in very limited circumstances (takings law, that sort of thing).

I had some vague recollection from working with a lawyer who did ambulance chasing in the Bronx that at least the City had mostly waived sovereign immunity or had a generous tort claims procedure.

Looking it up, it seems the entire state has waived sovereign immunity.  There is a short window on claims, though.  Probably some damage caps too.

https://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-help/article/personal-injury-and-accidents/suing-government/

Holy shit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

First, are they truly volunteers?

Are they?  That's a good question Bernstein.  We should dig into this mystery...

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Volunteers don't get paid

Ah, your mommy bought you a dictionary but didn't teach you about vernacular

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

they technically owe New York taxes

Again, you seem fun....

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Third, they aren't taxing ALL income

Those sweethearts!  Aren't they just the best, golly, what swell guys they are....

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Finally, this is mainly a paperwork hassle for those companies that sent their employees to work in New York

Yeah, a hassle.  For those willing to literally (an oft overused word, not this time) risk their life to battle this.....but yeah, a paper work hassle and red tape to fuck over people that willingly put their lives in harms way because the chuckle-fucks in NY can't balance a budget.  Jesus you are a fucking beating...

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

so those entities should have known from the get go that New York taxes were in play.  

Did you see what she was wearing?  She SHOULD HAVE KNOWN......such a boot-licking little turd.  The point, of course is that now, if there is a second wave, these same companies and their people will tell NY to rightly fuck off.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I had some vague recollection from working with a lawyer who did ambulance chasing in the Bronx that at least the City had mostly waived sovereign immunity or had a generous tort claims procedure.

Looking it up, it seems the entire state has waived sovereign immunity.

https://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-help/article/personal-injury-and-accidents/suing-government/

Holy shit.

It looks like a limited waiver, both as to time and circumstance (on municipal property, etc.).  Texas has some analog in the Tort Claims Act -- mostly related to use of motorized equipment, and with a damages cap.  So, if a city garbage truck runs a red light and hits you, you can sue and recover damages, but only up to 250k (can be 500k, depends on other things).  But I freely admit to having no expertise in the specifics of NY immunity waivers.

Edited by Brisketexan

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It looks like a limited waiver, both as to time and circumstance (on municipal property, etc.).  Texas has some analog in the Tort Claims Act -- mostly related to use of motorized equipment, and with a damages cap.  So, if a city garbage truck runs a red light and hits you, you can sue and recover damages, but only up to 250k (can be 500k, depends on other things).  But I freely admit to having no expertise in the specifics of NY immunity waivers.

About 60 years ago my brother had a fender bender while he was driving a bookmobile for the Austin Public Library. Driver of the slightly damaged car received restitution from the City.

Brother was relegated to shelving books at a branch library.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

About 60 years ago my brother had a fender bender while he was driving a bookmobile for the Austin Public Library. Driver of the slightly damaged car received restitution from the City.

Bookmobiles....serious business.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

In Texas, sovereign immunity is waived for a few types of torts.  One is motor vehicle accidents.  So you can sue or claim damages.

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Gee, sorry to interrupt your ignorant and not politically motivated at all bitch fest with actual information. 

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/income/m12_5i.pdf

It is like this in any state with a state income tax.  If you have been a consultant, you know this.  And as a non-resident, you do get most of it back.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Are they?  That's a good question Bernstein.  We should dig into this mystery...

Ah, your mommy bought you a dictionary but didn't teach you about vernacular

Again, you seem fun....

Those sweethearts!  Aren't they just the best, golly, what swell guys they are....

Yeah, a hassle.  For those willing to literally (an oft overused word, not this time) risk their life to battle this.....but yeah, a paper work hassle and red tape to fuck over people that willingly put their lives in harms way because the chuckle-fucks in NY can't balance a budget.  Jesus you are a fucking beating...

Did you see what she was wearing?  She SHOULD HAVE KNOWN......such a boot-licking little turd.  The point, of course is that now, if there is a second wave, these same companies and their people will tell NY to rightly fuck off.  

I'm honestly perplexed by your response. The article is shoddy.

(1) It ambiguously uses the term "volunteer" to suggest to the reader that people who volunteered without pay are somehow getting taxed on their non-New York income. That isn't happening. Full stop. 

(2) Why exactly is it shocking or unfair that people who get paid to work in New York should pay New York taxes? 

(3) Some of those "volunteers" were from larger employers that already had a presence in New York. They essentially moved to New York short time to work there. Their employers may not have appreciated that the 14-day rule would come into effect and require them to withhold New York taxes from the wages.

(4) Many of the healthcare workers came specifically in response to lucrative offers for work in New York. The entities making those offers would have likely been prepared to withhold New York taxes from the word go. I really can't even fathom why, for these folks, you'd think New York taxes shouldn't apply. 

(5) The workers only owe taxes if their income exceeds the New York standard deduction (8,000 for single, 16,050 for married). 

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/standard_deductions.htm

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

I'm honestly perplexed by your response. The article is shoddy.
(1) It ambiguously uses the term "volunteer" to suggest to the reader that people who volunteered without pay are somehow getting taxed on their non-New York income. That isn't happening. Full stop. 
(2) Why exactly is it shocking or unfair that people who get paid to work in New York should pay New York taxes? 
(3) Some of those "volunteers" were from larger employers that already had a presence in New York. They essentially moved to New York short time to work there. Their employers may not have appreciated that the 14-day rule would come into effect and require them to withhold New York taxes from the wages.
(4) Many of the healthcare workers came specifically in response to lucrative offers for work in New York. The entities making those offers would have likely been prepared to withhold New York taxes from the word go. I really can't even fathom why, for these folks, you'd think New York taxes shouldn't apply. 
(5) The workers only owe taxes if their income exceeds the New York standard deduction (8,000 for single, 16,050 for married). 
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/standard_deductions.htm

Early on weren’t they offering like 20 grand to come help them?
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

then where the fuck does seattle get off telling tenants they get 6 more months of not paying rent.

I think IT already worked out a deal for April and May, which happens to be you know...2 months.

The reason we have courts for evictions is because in the old days the landlord or his hired muscle would show up and physically toss you off.  So we have courts for evictions is to stop breaches of peace and landlord self help. 

I mean I don’t really need too much government help to evict.  I can shut off utilities as a self help measure.  I don’t think that’s a great idea.  Tenants will trash my shit.  They’re miserable in the interim.  We both lose.  Most of my renters are blue collar types who are still working in the petrochemical plants. I’m working on deferments for the folks who have lost their jobs.  I’m going to eat some or most of that.  That’s fine as I’ll get paid some back when they do start back.  We are in horrible time economically and there aren’t any great solutions.  I’m glad I’ve avoided debt and don’t have to have the cash flow. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is like this in any state with a state income tax.  If you have been a consultant, you know this.  And as a non-resident, you do get most of it back.

Yeah, nothing about this is unusual or surprising or even unfair. I mean, fuck, the IRS has similar rules: 

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/taxation-of-nonresident-aliens-1

Nonresident aliens are generally subject to U.S. income tax only on their U.S. source income. They are subject to two different tax rates, one for effectively connected income, and one for fixed or determinable, annual, or periodic (FDAP) income.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Nearly everything they did fostered the spread of the virus instead of mitigating it. Aiming nursing home staff who were positive towards those most vulnerable to it was like euthanasia day. And requiring nursing facilities that did not have any Covid cases to take Covid cases was also insane....no way they emerge from this unscathed.  Or the statement from their administration admonishing reports that the subways were unsafe - actually encouraging their use and telling riders there was no danger.   

Subways should have been shut down.  Bike.  Walk.  Uber.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Agreed. Discussion and denigration of liberal housing and economic policies in Seattle is totally good, but suggesting that shooting brown people is bad is CR.

We only talk about white people shooting brown on Surly.  Crickets for the rest. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

So you're saying cramming millions of people into underground train cars was a bad idea? Ridiculous.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah, that isn't feasible.  There are a lot of people who cannot afford to get to work any other way.  Bikes cost money, ubers cost money.  But shutting them down every night to clean them should have been happening from the beginning.  

There has been a significant amount of mishandling this shit from both BdB and Albany.

• Like 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, that isn't feasible.  There are a lot of people who cannot afford to get to work any other way.  Bikes cost money, ubers cost money.  But shutting them down every night to clean them should have been happening from the beginning.  

There has been a significant amount of mishandling this shit from both BdB and Albany.

So the marginal cost between an Uber and subway was more than the cost of this virus going nuts in the tri-state area?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

So you're saying cramming millions of people into underground train cars was a bad idea? Ridiculous.

Nah. That’s okay.  Cramming people into subways is fine.  As is sending infected people into nursing homes packed with our most vulnerable.  

But those dumbass hicks getting out in the fresh air on beaches in Florida and Georgia are the real problem.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

So the marginal cost between an Uber and subway was more than the cost of this virus going nuts in the tri-state area?

If you don't have the money, you don't have the money.  Uber rates in NYC are about the same as a taxi, even more so with bad weather.  I live .7 miles from my office. The average Uber trip is 11-14 each way.  Most folks commuting in are coming from outer boroughs.  They cannot fucking afford it.  I don't know how you propose to squeeze blood from a turnip.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Nah. That’s okay.  Cramming people into subways is fine.  As is sending infected people into nursing homes packed with our most vulnerable.  

But those dumbass hicks getting out in the fresh air on beaches in Florida and Georgia are the real problem.  

I think we are going to find that this thing has to be pretty close quarters/indoors to really spread.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Is there a 20% bump from medicare if a hospital treats a covid patient?  heard this today.  wonder if it applies to maybe covids

Hospitals are losing their lunch on Covid. And I can almost guarantee you Medicare pays less than private insurers (many provider/insurer contracts establish rates as a multiple of Medicare rates, usually something like 200-300%). But, it does appear Medicare made a retroactive increase in payments last month. 

https://www.hfma.org/topics/news/2020/04/increased-medicare-payments-for-covid-19-care-to-stretch-back-to.html

Edited by Dahobbs

I think we are also going to find, and already have in early studies, that there are a shitload more cases in NYC than we thought.  And it may actually be even higher than those initial studies.  

Ultimately, the state and city are looking down the barrell of massive budget shortfalls because of this shutdown.  Venerable institutions like the Met are staring down a 100M budget shortfall for their fiscal year that ends June 30.  So far, I am not impressed with the efforts of Cuomo and BdB to try and get people back to work.  Again, the goal of the shutdown was to get the hospitals breathing room.  They have that.  

• Like 1

Nothing builds goodwill and a willingness to help in times of need quite like forcing your onerous taxes on the people who came to help you - but hey, see the tax laws, right here....here they are.  I mean all the Oregon firefighters.  All 300 of them that helped battle the CA wildfires.  That was different.  It's not like there isn't a precedent of subsidies and relaxation of regulations for those that are willing to put themselves in harms way for your state.  Cuomo even admits it with his admission that it was their $13B deficit that "forces" his hand.....but hey, this next round, everyone will be willing to come back again and risk their lives to pay NYC income taxes on top of the New York state taxes.

Yeah, exactly my point. Why shouldn't that be taxed?

No idea. No idea what so ever. Lol

if MN was an epicenter and there were nurses volunteering because my governor was on TV with his daily conference whining about not having help, I wouldn’t care if they weren’t taxed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away