Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's a lot harder to make the argument that it is a good faith calculation of public health necessity to shut down 30 person church gatherings when you've been allowing and encouraging (hell, even participating in) gatherings of tens- and hundreds of thousands of people crammed together yelling.

This could get Cloak Room real fast, so discussion probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I doubt the epidemiologist were thrilled with the protests dude.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Sorry I wasn’t clear. 

I meant that the timeline appears to be case numbers up, small lag then hospitalization numbers up then...

We are seeing spikes in various states, but the daily deaths number nationwide is well off the peak. I’ll be curious to see if/when it starts creeping back up based off these new states. Are we getting better at treating these patients?

I would think there has to be some improvement as far as treatment goes,  but I believe I recall reading previously that death typically lags hospitalization by around 2 weeks give or take.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

So far they are.  Also:

Houston and Dallas confirmed COVID hospitalizations make up around 60% of the hospitalizations in the state. In each of those metros, fewer than 10% of their total beds are used by COVID patients. Statewide, COVID patients occupy less than 5% of total beds.

This is good to hear. Where’d you get the data for this? I haven’t been able to find anything tracking these numbers. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

This could get Cloak Room real fast, so discussion probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I doubt the epidemiologist were thrilled with the protests dude.

agree, but keeping cloak room out of this, the perception (whether true or not, whether justified or not) I've read, is that media and public figures have been very against and concerned about quarantine/lockdown protests, Trump rallies and church gatherings, while giving favorable coverage to BLM protests and the like. I think that perception of a political nature regarding social distancing is going to make a lot of people take it less seriously, which is partially the cause of what we're seeing the last week or two with spikes in cases and hospitalizations. 

Everyone can go to the cloak room to argue whether the perception is true or not, but I think it's out there and causing issues.

My hope is that if we can improve treatment, and keep it out of nursing homes, we can weather these spikes without corresponding spikes in deaths. I (perhaps unfortunately) think that this is more realistic than having everyone go back on lockdown absent some huge prolonged increase in deaths. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's a lot harder to make the argument that it is a good faith calculation of public health necessity to shut down 30 person church gatherings when you've been allowing and encouraging (hell, even participating in) gatherings of tens- and hundreds of thousands of people crammed together yelling.

Don't forget campaign events.

spacer.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think that perception of a political nature regarding social distancing is going to make a lot of people take it less seriously, which is partially the cause of what we're seeing the last week or two with spikes in cases and hospitalizations. 

Everyone can go to the cloak room to argue whether the perception is true or not, but I think it's out there and causing issues.

Possibly. I mean it certainly didn't help perception wise, that's for sure, and I agree likely there is some impact.  But based on my observations, it felt like a lot of people stopped giving a fuck beginning MDW before the protests begin.  So maybe the protests reinforced and/or accelerated things, but I think it had already started.  We started relaxing some then as well although we're probably more careful than the vast majority of people and still keep a pretty small circle and aren't out much.  But I'll say I was shocked when I went to Specs Friday afternoon and barely anyone was wearing a mask.  The only other public place I've been is Costco where it's required but I figured other places would be over 50% coverage.  I just don't understand how hard it is to throw on a mask if going in an indoor retail business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I just don't understand how hard it is to throw on a mask if going in an indoor retail business.

I'm no doctor or anything, but I wish we could get mask mandate from some form of government when in public. The shutdowns shouldn't happen again as the costs are too high. But for the love of god just wear a fucking mask. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm no doctor or anything, but I wish we could get mask mandate from some form of government when in public. The shutdowns shouldn't happen again as the costs are too high. But for the love of god just wear a fucking mask. 

Businesses should also require it.  Obviously at restaurants you take them off at the table.

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The only other public place I've been is Costco where it's required

Went to Costco for the first time myself on Sunday (picked up some prime filet mignon, did a reverse sear on the Primo, holy shit it was amazing).  But, as I was walking in, a pretty redneck-ish family (there may have been a "Salt Life" t-shirt in the crowd) was bunched up outside the door, none of them wearing masks.  It was pretty obvious that they were fuming at being refused entry.  As I walked in, one of the daughters (a Karen in-training) left the group and walked to the entrance and told the door person "get the manager, so he can bring us masks!"  The door person just said "ma'am, you have to bring your own," and she pouted and stormed back out...I didn't stick around to see any of the rest of the exchange that followed.  But fucking Christ, people.  You're not just dumbasses for not wearing masks, you're fucking criminally uninformed.  Costco's mask policy has been all over all news media for weeks.

We the people have a raging case of the stupids, and it's gonna kill us before it's all said and done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

the timing for protesting was REALLY unfortunate. it's a shame so many people had to choose between putting their health and the health of their loved ones at risk and doing nothing and allowing racial injustices to continue.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the timing for protesting was REALLY unfortunate. it's a shame so many people had to choose between putting their health and the health of their loved ones at risk and doing nothing and allowing racial injustices to continue.

It's also unfortunate government leaders decide that first amendment speech for a cause they support and join  >>>>>>> first amendment religious freedom or first amendment freedom of association.

• Like 3

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

It's also unfortunate government leaders decide that first amendment speech for a cause they support and join  >>>>>>> first amendment religious freedom or first amendment freedom of association.

we're not here to discuss the decisions of political leaders. let's head over to CR where we can have a reasonable debate on the subject.*

*read: me calling you the biggest sack of shit on this site.

• Like 2

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

we're not here to discuss the decisions of political leaders. let's head over to CR where we can have a reasonable debate on the subject.*

*read: me calling you the biggest sack of shit on this site.

I hold the same opinion about you.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Wait...you've got fitlump at 2? Dude...

18 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I don’t know what that means, but it was a struggle.

No blondes made it feel like I was judging the Special Olympics. 

Username checks out

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If only people were able to choose between keeping their livelihoods going vs going bankrupt back in March and April.

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

If only people were able to choose between keeping their livelihoods going vs going bankrupt back in March and April.

yes, it's been an incredibly painful event, both for businesses and for families. sometimes we all have to make painful sacrifices to try help our society. unfortunately, and predictably, those in the most pain continue to take the brunt of the sacrifice.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Based on what I know about you, I’d tend to agree.

Zing!  You're on a roll lately, man!  I love how you think any of this is real life.  Let me guess, your wife goes to a different high school in Canada?  

Edited by Lobo

On 5/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Here’s the deal, outbreaks ARE GOING TO HAPPEN.  They are unavoidable. It requires a basic understanding of human behavior and science to come to this conclusion. The virus is not going to magically go away.

The hard questions we are dealing with now:

1. How do we best minimize the intensity of outbreaks without going into a full lockdown?  We wear masks, we physically distance, we wash hands, we keep the population informed with accurate information, we stay vigilant, we test and trace quickly to isolate outbreaks when they happen so grandma doesn’t die. 

2. Are we as a society prepared to work together to do this? 

3. Do we have all the resources available to quickly test and trace when outbreaks occur? 

4. If we choose not to take these precautionary measures, what will be the consequences?  

I fear we’re going to find out the answer to #4 the hard way. 

6501c973d81d.gif

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away