Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

welp, one of my employees has covid. she has been at her house pretty much completely quarantined, but her sister is a bartender in downtown austin and she had gone to help her move for a day. sister was asymptomatic at the time, then got a fever. my employee has been wiped out for 10 days. her mom (who has COPD) was due to have surgery and she was the designated caregiver. based purely on the timing of the spread, her Mom's life probably got spared.

• Like 1

Just now, Hpara759 said:

you left out the protests when you listed to essentials

The uptick we saw last week was primarily the Memorial Day weekend bump. This week when it hockey sticks up even harder, THAT's the bulk of the impact from protests.

But yeah, I'd consider protesting against unchecked police brutality, murders, and racism to be far more essential than overpaying for miller/coors/bud lite and shitty well cocktails.

• Like 7

re: the MMR stuff, I read about this a few months ago, but refrained from posting it because I've yet to see anything on it from a "credible" source.  I wanted it to be true, trust me, but the evidence in favor of this hypothesis is thin at best. The "study" can be read here.  It's by an "independent researcher" at the "world organization," not the WHO.   The independent researcher owns the world organization.  

Anyhoo, if you actually look at the evidence offered, it's not terribly convincing.  For example, there's not much variation in MMR vaccination coverage across most developed countries (generally 80 - 90%), yet there are massive differences in deaths per capita.  See the 2nd figure.  Once I saw that, the idea that MMR was a key driver of fatalities, didn't hold much water for me.  The age cutoff evidence is also pretty shaky IMO.  

It would be fantastic if this were true though.  

52 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

WTF does any of this have to do with Covid?

It has everything to do with Covid and frankly, I take your silence up to this point as complicity with the oppression of Black Trans Homo sapiens.  Do better. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

We have a long, long way to go to catch either Spain or Italy in per capita deaths.

Never mind that the chart shows how poorly we’ve slowed the spread since the first wave and that Italy and Spain had way less warning before the virus hit them leading to the large initial death count, right John?

27 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

you left out the protests when you listed the essentials

Deaths from the protests likely haven’t factored in to that chart much at all based on the timeline. Regardless, cut that chart off before the first large protest in the U.S., it still shows what a poor job we’ve done since the first wave. 

29 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The uptick we saw last week was primarily the Memorial Day weekend bump. This week when it hockey sticks up even harder, THAT's the bulk of the impact from protests.

But yeah, I'd consider protesting against unchecked police brutality, murders, and racism to be far more essential than overpaying for miller/coors/bud lite and shitty well cocktails.

How do you know this?  Is there data somewhere?  The only thing I've seen is that lake party in missouri did not result in more infections.  I also saw the protests in Minneapolis only had a 1.3% positive rate of confirmed protest attendees.  Meaning, I don't believe outdoor parties or protests are giving us the spike.  I think it is something else and would be interested in finding out.

Because people don't get sick and then require hospitalization that quickly.  It is as simple as counting out days on a calendar.  There will be a hospitalization bump from the protests, but we aren't at that point yet.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, stone oak said:

It's also really interesting to me how "flatten the curve" quickly became "criticize the inevitable rise in cases after scheduled/planned reopening."

It’s weird because I’m sitting here watching the hoax crowd try to explain away the inevitable rise in cases.

why die on that hill?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s weird because I’m sitting here watching the hoax crowd try to explain away the inevitable rise in cases.

why die on that hill?

Maybe they're just trolling. Surely they have access to calendars and the hospitalization data.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

What's the fallback line when hospitals start running out of beds?  Because that's what is going to happen next.

? Did we already tear down all the temporary hospitals and arrangements we made at hospitals when we thought the 1st wave would hit the entire US at once? It would sure be embarrassing if the significantly delayed 1st wave caught us by surprise. That was, after all, the point of the lock downs... to buy time to prepare.

Edited by B00M
  • Like 1

The level of bad-faith posting in response to a simple graph is remarkable. Sorry the numbers don't support your narrative.

Yall are ignoring the MONTHS of sustained viral infection in the US compared to other first world nations. Fuck off with this "but muh protests" whataboutism. The US has not controlled or mitigated the spread of COVID. The protests certainly aren't helping, but to claim that our current state is directly and completely attributable to the protests is just fallacious.

• Like 7

People aren't doing those things at the same level.  It's why the numbers are increasing.  Avoiding unnecessary indoor gatherings is how we move forward, but that isn't going to happen.  This thing will keep going in the US until it burns itself out or there is a vaccine.

Edited by kevwun

I think there are currently around 2100 hospital beds taken by covid patients in Texas, and more than 5000 empty beds, so yes, I suppose eventually we could run out of hospital beds, but things would have to get considerably worse for that to happen.

Hold my beer.  More people in smaller spaces with fewer mitigation steps.  

How does the simplest math to ever come out of government continue to confuse people?  Texans have been lulled into thinking it's people per square mile.  It's not.  It's people per square foot.  The facts are so painstakingly obvious.  Can we quit being political for 5 goddamn minutes, this is supposed to be a website for people with affiliations to a school that I think least tested for maths.  

Llano-Why is your mom's menstrual gear near where I keep my beer, ya' hear?  

Pierce.  Bring Beers, Pierce!  

Edited by Lobo

This past weekend I went to my first restaurant and bar since early March. Saturday brunch at Tillery and Sunday pints at Woodrow’s on Burnet. Both were outdoors, and staff at both places wore masks. The tables at Tillery were about 10 feet apart. Woodrow’s wouldn’t let us come on site without a temperature reading, and we were at least 6 feet from other patrons.

I have to admit it felt so fucking good to finally experience a semblance of normalcy after being confined to my house for most of my walking minutes for the past three months. But with the number of Travis County cases and hospitalizations increasing, I’m also concerned it’s that kind of behavior contributing to the rise. I was considering a return to Woodrow’s later in the week, but am rethinking that now.

• Like 2

Ooof here we thought transmission would be minimal in the summer...didn’t think that ain’t nobody stepping out in 100 degree temps and this shit spreads inside air conditioned spaces with ease.

MN had our lowest case/death day in 2 months today but it’s the season where everyone’s outside.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My reading indicates that women who plan on getting pregnant are tested for rubella and given the mmr vaccine if they haven’t already had it, because rubella is bad for pregnancies. @oobe might weigh in if he’s still around. Maybe @ChiTownDoc has some experience in that area. 

That’s way out of my realm.  No OB for me.  Nobody wants that.  Ha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ooof here we thought transmission would be minimal in the summer...didn’t think that ain’t nobody stepping out in 100 degree temps and this shit spreads inside air conditioned spaces with ease.

MN had our lowest case/death day in 2 months today but it’s the season where everyone’s outside.

But why? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

What's the fallback line when hospitals start running out of beds?  Because that's what is going to happen next.

How many of the current cases are people that scheduled in patient surgeries and when they went in for the surgery they tested positive for COVID?  They were going there anyway.  How many of the hospital ICU beds in use right now are for things other than COVID?  There's a lot of data to factor here.  

So there's been pent-up non-elective ICU visit cluster in the national queue this whole time?  I get hospital visits in general, but ICU beds?  That was some backlogged group of people just waiting to finally get care for life threatening illness?  That seems weird.  

On 4/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Texas - that's hopeful that we can peak in the next two weeks:

Probability that the peak has already passed: 8%
Probability that peak will have passed within 7 days: 36%
Probability that peak will have passed within 14 days: 66%

This post was from April 19th. How'd that model work out? 

Nobody knows shit.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away