Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

59 minutes ago, Iceman said:

That's fair, but...

when I see 10-20% of the folks not wearing it, and that's an extremely conservative estimate; it might as well be nobody wearing them.

That's been my position the whole time-  If we all aren't doing it; it might as well be nobody doing it.

It's truly amazing that you don't see the logical problem with your long held "position"

9b351ad6-9377-44d4-8ffa-2123fe21c4eb_tex

Edited by B00M
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

That's fair, but...

when I see 10-20% of the folks not wearing it, and that's an extremely conservative estimate; it might as well be nobody wearing them.

That's been my position the whole time-  If we all aren't doing it; it might as well be nobody doing it.

That actually isnt true. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/modeling-the-impact-of-face-masks-on-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Screen-Shot-2020-06-11-at-3.04.49-PM.png

"In the graph above, the blue bars represent a high rate of infectivity (each infection results in four additional ones) and the second a more moderate rate (2.2 new infections for every one). Even low levels of use of ineffective masks were able to bring the rate of viral spread down toward a rate of 1, below which the pandemic would gradually stop spreading."

While masks by themselves dont solve the problem, even low level of mask use with low effectiveness (worse than just cotton masks) can significantly reduce the spread of the disease. 

The caveat is that this isnt a controlled experiment, but rather a model based on the varying levels of mask effectiveness and population compliance. But, as other studys have given us some indication that masks are actually effective, this sort of model gives a good idea of how different mask related actions could affect the spread. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Iceman said:

so they don't know...  they extrapolate what they think might happen.

Slorch, as an internet buddy who walked across the campus of Texas Tech the same time as you did ~25-30 years ago, please protect yourself, those whom you love, and your coworkers, by wearing s damned mask of some sort.

If it's just a bandana, it's still better than nothing. On the plus side, you get a chance to be the Masked Rider when you go to United.

We care about you and yours. Please, just cover your damned mouth when you're around others.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Slorch, as an internet buddy who walked across the campus of Texas Tech the same tone as you did ~25-30 years ago, please protect yourself, those whom you love, and your coworkers, by wearing s damned mask of some sort.

If it's just a bandana, it's still better than nothing. On the plus side, you get a chance to be the Masked Rider when you go to United.

We care about you and yours. Please, just cover your damned mouth when you're around others.

LOLz.

Thank you for the 'consideration.'

That being said, world isn't a disease free zone.   Stop being fucking skeered.

For reals.

as if I'm coughing on anyone, anyhoo...

Edited by Iceman
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Coughing on elderly people in public.  You are so brave ;)

Or not coughing...

Hey, they should be 6' away though.  They're safe.

If they aren't, what the fuck are we doing it for?   It's all so damned logical...

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

LOLz.

Thank you for the 'consideration.'

That being said, world isn't a disease free zone.   Stop being fucking skeered.

For reals.

Of course, it's not. But if you're okay with basically mouth-rawdogging everyone you interact with, that's on you and everyone you share air with 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Of course, it's not. But if you're okay with basically mouth-rawdogging everyone you interact with, that's on you and everyone you share air with 

so tell me... how was the world before Cv-19.

How the fuck did we live through it?

sharing air?  lolz.  airplanes....ooooh noes!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Hey man, it's a Tech tradition to spread infectious disease! Raider rash out front shoulda told ya

• Like 1

Just now, Iceman said:

so tell me... how was the world before Cv-19.

How the fuck did we live through it?

sharing air?  lolz.  airplanes....ooooh noes!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, I'm not going to argue with you like I'm Colin Robinson, but I will simply state that this is a new (novel) virus that we don't know a lot about.

That said, we have increasing evidence that simply wearing a mask helps prevent the spread of it. It's kind of like keeping deadly cow shit off your tongue from a stockyard and not breathily shitting it in other people's mouths.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Hey man, it's a Tech tradition to spread infectious disease! Raider rash out front shoulda told ya

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Actually, Slorch’s raider rash is in the back. 

10 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Fify.  

Counterpoint: I got my undergrad at Texas Tech too.

Edited by bolverk

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You really want that gif of the horse crash, really?

No34. Could you supply some tortillas instead?

Nvm: I just realized I responded for Slorch. Next time things are back to normal, I’ll run down the street and catch some Whataburger with you for breakfast.

Edit2: On second thought, let's make it Maudie's next door.

Edited by bolverk

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

so they don't know...  they extrapolate what they think might happen.

Ummm, unlike you, they have actual evidence and are relying on more than just a feeling. The fact that you cant seen the irony or the idiocy of your statement is hilarious, sad, and frightening all at the same time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Interesting social experiment at the HEB this afternoon.

I’m walking out behind a woman with all her shit, including a bunch of stuff on the bottom rack of the shopping cart. She gets to the bottom of the ramp and it all dumps out. I and to other guys take a step to help her pick it up. And then we see that she’s not wearing a mask.

All at the same time, the three guys go “nah” and walk away. Fuck her—if she’s not going to help us by wearing a mask, we’re not gonna help her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that woman was...Albert Einstein. 

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Glad to come back to this thread and see the stupid is strong, but it’s not anyone from UT.

What's awfully peculiar is that the neggers in this thread are the same motherfuckers who neg in CR. Weakass bitches, the lot of em.

It's just weird as fuck how the emotional equity is assigned to which side of the issue one falls on, regardless of what's happening in the real world.

"Slorch doesn't properly embrace the fear...   I hate him. "

LOLz.  Don't care.  Don't levy half measures as the way to save the world.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Ummm, unlike you, they have actual evidence and are relying on more than just a feeling. The fact that you cant seen the irony or the idiocy of your statement is hilarious, sad, and frightening all at the same time. 

"Yous are dumbers because you don'ts agrees with my side.  We have (fucked up skewed) science from hell.  Don't you use yours brains?"

Every fucking time.

Has anyone looked at the Austin City Limits musical festival from October? A bad bug swooped through that and infected a huge number of attendees including my kid. Theoretically this would have been too early to be coronavirus related but one person attending from Wuhan could have spread it. It was odd how contagious it was.

Has anyone looked at the Austin City Limits musical festival from October? A bad bug swooped through that and infected a huge number of attendees including my kid. Theoretically this would have been too early to be coronavirus related but one person attending from Wuhan could have spread it. It was odd how contagious it was.

I wonder if there is a way to check the hospital records for a “pneumonia” type illness that was widespread during that time? It seems to me that with an event that big there would have been at least a few at risk people that could have gotten sick enough to require hospitalization. It may not have been enough to really cause a stir back then though.

I would think that it is possible with some reports that the virus was known in China in early October.

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

"Yous are dumbers because you don'ts agrees with my side.  We have (fucked up skewed) science from hell.  Don't you use yours brains?"

Every fucking time.

You clearly dont have to worry about using your brain.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Several people in our social sphere had something that would likely be considered as COVID as early as November

5 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I'm trolling the thread.

You troll life.   Carry on good soldier...

Imagine waking up at 430AM just to troll a thread about an ongoing pandemic on a football board. All just to push the position that we shouldn't wear masks. 

That's some galaxy-brain shit

• Like 1

Just now, Captainant said:

Imagine waking up at 430AM just to troll a thread about an ongoing pandemic on a football board. All just to push the position that we shouldn't wear masks. 

That's some galaxy-brain shit

When did I say you shouldn't wear a mask?

You motherfuckers can't even read.  But those high IQ's are fucking cranking...

Just now, Iceman said:

When did I say you shouldn't wear a mask?

You motherfuckers can't even read.  But those high IQ's are fucking cranking...

You've repeatedly said that if we all aren't wearing a mask, then none of us should and that it's pointless without 100% compliance. 

• Like 3

Just now, Captainant said:

You've repeatedly said that if we all aren't wearing a mask, then none of us should and that it's pointless without 100% compliance. 

and it's true.  the social distancing is a joke and masks are a fucking joke, because a shit-ton of folks are not doing it.

It's a control mechanism.  You of all people should hate it, for consistency's sake; but you can't...because politics.

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

and it's true.  the social distancing is a joke and masks are a fucking joke, because a shit-ton of folks are not doing it.

It's a control mechanism.  You of all people should hate it, for consistency's sake; but you can't...because politics.

Don't let your kids go to tech, folks. They'll get slorch'd. 

Wearing a mask is a damper against the spread of COVID. In epidemiology it's impossible and unreasonable to expect 100% compliance and participation in mitigating behaviors, but individual efforts DO make an impact to reduce the overall transmission of the virus. Check out this vid I posted a couple months ago to explain it with a good visualization. 

I hope you change your mind on wearing a mask. It costs you next to nothing and could potentially save a stranger's life, or protect your family. 

Do you also think that seatbelts are just a "control mechanism"?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

One of the most serious issues with this virus is its killing of the younger and healthy. This fear is keeping the economy from recovering faster and causing significant numbers of people to not venture out.

Why isn’t the federal government setting up a process to contact the families of every person killed who was young and healthy to try and understand what piece of information is missing on this virus? If they could understand why it’s killing some younger healthy people but not others it could lead to a lot of potential improvements and processes that would make this whole situation less shitty.

24 minutes ago, Iceman said:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away