Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Most of the protesters I saw were wearing masks anyway. So maybe those events won’t cause any increase.

Agree, but for every protestor in a mask there is a group heading off to play billiards. Hell, I had to hand out masks at our local protest. It was about 70% with. What sucked was a lot of the organizers were the ones without masks. 

This is very personal to me. My friend is face to face everyday with the public. It is her job. I got her and her team face shields. But the amount of at risk people who refuse to wear a mask is baffling. How do we deal with stupidity? Community transmission is upon us. Time to suck it up and be smart. Decisions we have made. 

1- My daughter is not going to her first semester at college. (No Pics you Epstein wannabes) 

2- We have halted going out. Our concern is if my friend is COVID positive, well the food bank has to close. Fuck that. 

3- All beer is sanitized before it goes into the fridge.  

4- Mouthwash is required prior to any oral sex. (UK standards). 

Yep, doing my part. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

A doctor friend of mine in Dallas had 7 cases yesterday.  All of whom were Hispanic.  5 of them had been to Mexico to see family in the last 10 days.  

Our folks do a little survey on their company device every morning and one of the questions is "Have you been out of the country in the past 14 days( Mexico not included?)

WTF?

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Texas with 25 deaths today.  67 deaths per million.  New York with 63 deaths.  1,580 deaths per million.  

Your math seems to be off.  If Texas has 25 deaths today, and has 29 million people, that is .862 deaths per million.  NY has 19.45 million.  So that means 3.24 per million. Basically, 4 times higher than Texas.  

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Most of the protesters I saw were wearing masks anyway. So maybe those events won’t cause any increase.

By that logic, and this is not a shot at you but rather the prescription for alleged prevention;   why not make masks mandatory and open shit right the fuck up?

If people are throwing social distancing to the wind( lolz) and the risk is still minimal, then WTF?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Iceman said:

By that logic, and this is not a shot at you but rather the prescription for alleged prevention;   why not make masks mandatory and open shit right the fuck up?

If people are throwing social distancing to the wind( lolz) and the risk is still minimal, then WTF?

This is my opinion.  We don't have spikes due to the mass protests in NYC, there is ZERO excuse to keep shit closed.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can’t disagree. If the protests don’t lead to a large spike then there is no excuse to not be fully opened with mandatory masks. Social distance would be irrelevant. 

What percentage of the population participated in these marches? Seems to me it is a rather minuscule subset. I guess it could be meaningful but I'm doubtful. Memorial Day is a different story imho.

Just now, El Diablo said:

What percentage of the population participated in these marches? Seems to me it is a rather minuscule subset. I guess it could be meaningful but I'm doubtful. Memorial Day is a different story imho.

So you think 100,000 people screaming and yelling and packed in together is not a different story than small pockets of gatherings all over the place? 

• Like 1

The majority of people still practiced social distance durning Memorial Day To some extent, and the density of that doesn’t approach some of the marches/gatherings seen in large cities.  These mere mass gatherings. Not a bunch of people on a beach or on a float in the river. This was like Mardi Grad packed in some areas. 

Also, no reason fans can’t return to the stands in masks at 50-75% capacity for sports. 

Protests will provide the data. Either they support the bans on large gatherings or they proved they are completely unnecessary. 

Los Angeles protest drone photo

49997382033_e8862dc523_b.jpg

6/7/20 Austin Texas

America Protests Texas

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

Also, no reason fans can’t return to the stands in masks at 50-75% capacity for sports. 

Protests will provide the data. Either they support the bans on large gatherings or they proved they are completely unnecessary. 

Los Angeles protest drone photo
49997382033_e8862dc523_b.jpg  
I'm not sure a single person on this thread would argue with you here, so I'm not sure who you are arguing with. Do you think football games are actually going to have the fans masked up?

So you think 100,000 people screaming and yelling and packed in together is not a different story than small pockets of gatherings all over the place? 

Depends if the gatherings are indoors or out. I don't think the packed bar in the ozarks that everyone flipped out about is any worse than the protests. Or floating the river, crowded beach, etc.

All of the data has shown that outdoor activity is much less dangerous than indoor. I'd rather float the river on a holiday weekend than go to a restaurant, honestly.

In Austin?  Sure. 

*in response to Travis and Harris counties extending stay at home orders and bans on large gatherings. 
Look at how many people on this board refuse to wear masks. And this board as a whole is smarter and more informed than the average of all the fans in DKR on a Saturday. There's no way a Texas game is going to be majority masked. No chance.

I’m saying if the University made it mandatory people would comply. Now proper and continued use throughout the game? Hit or miss. 

*Also assuming games restricted to season ticket holders etc. Students would pose the biggest resistance from anecdotal evidence around campus.  

I’m saying if the University made it mandatory people would comply. Now proper and continued use throughout the game? Hit or miss. 

*Also assuming games restricted to season ticket holders etc. Students would pose the biggest resistance from anecdotal evidence around campus.  
I doubt they'll make it mandatory and the enforcement will be laughable. But we'll see. Hope you're right, empty stadium football will suck.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Your math seems to be off.  If Texas has 25 deaths today, and has 29 million people, that is .862 deaths per million.  NY has 19.45 million.  So that means 3.24 per million. Basically, 4 times higher than Texas.  

Aggie claims another NC

I'd be okay with making every business venue have mandatory-mask rules.  I do it anyway.  That includes bars, restaurants, retail, office spaces, clinics, and stadiums.  Sure it would suck wearing a mask in the August/September heat at a football game, but it's better than the Coronas.

BUT-- I'd also like to see actual studies on transmission rates through ALL the mask materials I've seen out there.  Bandannas, scarves, ski masks (yup I've seen this).  Because if we're going to do this, there needs to be a reason, and we need to do it right.  Telling someone to put a scarf over his face, if it does little or nothing to stop transmission, isn't going to cut it.

This is the type of study that should have begun by March 1, all over the globe, and we should have plentiful data returned by now.  But as far as I can tell. nobody's done shit, other than what was already out there on March 1 which honestly isn't particularly helpful and doesn't encourage people that it's worth a damn to wear one.

If a scarf really inhibits prevention, great.  If not, then stop telling people they can wear one.  Tell people exactly what kind of mask they can make/buy that is worthwhile, and work to get them openly available to the public.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is cumulative.  

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If a scarf really inhibits prevention transmission, great.  If not, then stop telling people they can wear one.  Tell people exactly what kind of mask they can make/buy that is worthwhile, and work to get them openly available to the public.  

...is what I meant to type.  Not enough coffee yet this morning.

If a scarf really inhibits prevention, great.  If not, then stop telling people they can wear one.  Tell people exactly what kind of mask they can make/buy that is worthwhile, and work to get them openly available to the public.  

This. And the rules on restaurants patrons and staff should be clear as day and have some science behind them.

If the guy standing over the griddle has a bandana over his mouth but not his nose, what are we doing? If the unmasked patrons come in and breath all over each other huddled at the hostess stand before moving to their distanced tables outdoors, what are we doing?

Crazy that we’re in June and opening up and don’t have best practices figured out.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

This. And the rules on restaurants patrons and staff should be clear as day and have some science behind them.

If the guy standing over the griddle has a bandana over his mouth but not his nose, what are we doing? If the unmasked patrons come in and breath all over each other huddled at the hostess stand before moving to their distanced tables outdoors, what are we doing?

Crazy that we’re in June and opening up and don’t have best practices figured out.

1+ to this, the number of boomers with their noses poking over masks and taking them off to talk at you is too damn high. Folks just don't give a fuck about doing the right thing, just appearing to do it

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I'd be okay with making every business venue have mandatory-mask rules.  I do it anyway.  That includes bars, restaurants, retail, office spaces, clinics, and stadiums.  Sure it would suck wearing a mask in the August/September heat at a football game, but it's better than the Coronas.

BUT-- I'd also like to see actual studies on transmission rates through ALL the mask materials I've seen out there.  Bandannas, scarves, ski masks (yup I've seen this).  Because if we're going to do this, there needs to be a reason, and we need to do it right.  Telling someone to put a scarf over his face, if it does little or nothing to stop transmission, isn't going to cut it.

This is the type of study that should have begun by March 1, all over the globe, and we should have plentiful data returned by now.  But as far as I can tell. nobody's done shit, other than what was already out there on March 1 which honestly isn't particularly helpful and doesn't encourage people that it's worth a damn to wear one.

Yeah. The lack of studies and data collection to give people decision support is mind bottling. It's been three and a half months. I've seen some unofficial articles that talk about what you're saying, but why the hell aren't the CDC, WHO, and other countries' versions of the CDC doing this? Maddening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Hays county has largest single day growth in case counts, driven by cases in the 20-29 age range.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/06/12/hays-county-reports-82-new-cases-of-covid-19/ 

Bad/shock value reporting. That age group was already 36% of Hays' positive cases prior. A 6% difference over one data point isn't statistically important or that much of a change.

• Like 1

Just found out my sister and her family (husband and two kids) all have been confirmed w/Rona. They live a rural town in the middle of KS and I know these turds have been in contact with my mom and my other siblings who live outside of KC. My world done got flipped overnight. Fuuuuuck.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah. The lack of studies and data collection to give people decision support is mind bottling. It's been three and a half months. I've seen some unofficial articles that talk about what you're saying, but why the hell aren't the CDC, WHO, and other countries' versions of the CDC doing this? Maddening.

Yeah, I've seen anecdotes and unofficial reports.  And intuitively, it makes sense.

Now that many of us are past the idea that the mask doesn't protect us, but rather others, from globs of snot spilling out of our own faces, I think many are onboard with the idea.  But does a scarf or a ski mask really do much to prevent those globs from escaping?  I have my doubts.  And I'm using the exact same intuition that tells me 2-4 layers of cotton most likely helps, but a few threads of coverage that come from a scarf or ski mask, does not.  

It's unbelievable to me that this hasn't been studied in earnest, by official entities, and then widely publicized.  It's a complete failure on the part of the organizations that are chartered to support public health and are supposed to be doing these things for the general population.

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Hays county has largest single day growth in case counts, driven by cases in the 20-29 age range.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/06/12/hays-county-reports-82-new-cases-of-covid-19/ 

I think it was Inka who posted above that several of their businesses have also had to shut back down because of cases among workers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kvue.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/workers-test-positive-covid19-san-marcos-businesses-hays-county/269-4fd1cc14-ae2a-4ddd-86f3-90c26e817f50

"We've seen a huge increase in the cases across the county just in the last couple of days," said Nicole Ingle, Emergency Management coordinator. "We've had an increase in over 70 cases. At least 25 Hays County businesses have come forward with an employee testing positive."

Here's a list of the San Marcos locations that made social media posts for temporary re-closures due to COVID-19:

Texas State Tubes
Louie's Beer Garden
Mochas and Javas
Grins
Kobe Steak House
Crafthouse
The Vault
Pure Barre

San Marcos city officials held a special meeting on Thursday to address the recent uptick of cases.

"That's something that I've been asking for – is this our front line workers? It turns out it is," said Mayor Jane Hughson. "Keep in mind for San Marcos, a lot of the people testing positive is in the 20-29 age group."

1+ to this, the number of boomers with their noses poking over masks and taking them off to talk at you is too damn high. Folks just don't give a fuck about doing the right thing, just appearing to do it

Look, I know you hate old people but the failure to wear masks knows no age, race, or political affiliation. Anecdotally, I see more young people not wearing masks that older people.

Now, back to your old people bashing party.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Depends if the gatherings are indoors or out. I don't think the packed bar in the ozarks that everyone flipped out about is any worse than the protests. Or floating the river, crowded beach, etc.

All of the data has shown that outdoor activity is much less dangerous than indoor. I'd rather float the river on a holiday weekend than go to a restaurant, honestly.

That’s fair enough.  I just think a lot of people bitching and moaning about Memorial Day gatherings are being pretty damn disingenuous 

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I think it was Inka who posted above that several of their businesses have also had to shut back down because of cases among workers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kvue.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/workers-test-positive-covid19-san-marcos-businesses-hays-county/269-4fd1cc14-ae2a-4ddd-86f3-90c26e817f50

"We've seen a huge increase in the cases across the county just in the last couple of days," said Nicole Ingle, Emergency Management coordinator. "We've had an increase in over 70 cases. At least 25 Hays County businesses have come forward with an employee testing positive."

Here's a list of the San Marcos locations that made social media posts for temporary re-closures due to COVID-19:

Texas State Tubes
Louie's Beer Garden
Mochas and Javas
Grins
Kobe Steak House
Crafthouse
The Vault
Pure Barre

San Marcos city officials held a special meeting on Thursday to address the recent uptick of cases.

"That's something that I've been asking for – is this our front line workers? It turns out it is," said Mayor Jane Hughson. "Keep in mind for San Marcos, a lot of the people testing positive is in the 20-29 age group."

The number of places has closed. We went out for a walk last night and strolled past my favorite watering hole. They are trying to do the right thing with tables being spaced out, etc, but after a few beers ya need to take a piss. Most people in town are not wearing masks at all. 

Concerning masks. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

The number of places has closed. We went out for a walk last night and strolled past my favorite watering hole. They are trying to do the right thing with tables being spaced out, etc, but after a few beers ya need to take a piss. Most people in town are not wearing masks at all. 

Concerning masks. 

Sure does seem to be on target.  And I truly don't get why so many people are still going with bandanas and whatnot.  You can get a cheap surgical mask at Walgreens now for $2.  And you can reuse it -- remember, it's mostly to protect others from YOU.

For that matter, good cloth masks are available all over for less than $5.  My family has probably a dozen masks of different types floating around -- a couple of leftover N95s from work projects, a few dust masks, a couple of surgical masks, and several cloth masks.  We keep some in our car, some in the house to grab.  It's so damned easy, and they aren't too obtrusive at all.  Really, I've gotten used to it -- I've had to visit my dad in the hospital lately, so I've had periods where I've worn a mask for hours.  It doesn't really bother me.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hate said:

Look, I know you hate old people but the failure to wear masks knows no age, race, or political affiliation. Anecdotally, I see more young people not wearing masks that older people.

ok boomer

• Haha 1

Sure does seem to be on target.  And I truly don't get why so many people are still going with bandanas and whatnot.  You can get a cheap surgical mask at Walgreens now for $2.  And you can reuse it -- remember, it's mostly to protect others from YOU.
For that matter, good cloth masks are available all over for less than $5.  My family has probably a dozen masks of different types floating around -- a couple of leftover N95s from work projects, a few dust masks, a couple of surgical masks, and several cloth masks.  We keep some in our car, some in the house to grab.  It's so damned easy, and they aren't too obtrusive at all.  Really, I've gotten used to it -- I've had to visit my dad in the hospital lately, so I've had periods where I've worn a mask for hours.  It doesn't really bother me.

I get very claustrophobic wearing the mask. I still do it, but I absolutely hate it. The moment I am out of the store I take the mask off. I feel like I am breathing at a very reduced capacity when I wear it, but I will continue to do it for the foreseeable future.
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah I'll call BS.  I see the majority of folks over 50 wearing masks everywhere, and wearing them properly.  Stupidity knows no age, just look at some of the posters on this site alone.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I'm still just not seeing a big explosion in cases in the numbers. And deaths continue to decline. There's always going to be the chance to cherry-pick a spot here or there that hits some spike; that's just how things will work with how large and varied the nation is.

If there actually were some big spike going on right now (which I don't believe), this would be the worst time, because ain't nobody going back to anything remotely resembling a shutdown.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away