Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

17 minutes ago, drt said:

Interesting.  On my trips to the grocery store here in Austin anecdotally it's the olds that aren't wearing masks, not the youths.  Talked to more than one cashier about it

This has been my experience as well. I've really only been going to grocery stores and picking up food curbside, but in my (anecdotal) experiences in the Spring Branch area of Houston, it's been mainly olds not wearing their masks. Granted it's mainly olds that are out and about so there's some sampling bias in my anecdote, so fair point to @Hate that all ages are capable of making selfish choices

• Like 1

Meanwhile in Houston....

Harris County Judge Hidalgo Warns "The Precipice of a Disaster" Might Be Approaching

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/harris-county-judge-hidalgo-unveils-new-covid-19-threat-level-system-11476464?fbclid=IwAR26vu7xJ_g1mU1tzZzgj4ZIiQn2vzviG21UDR87qzCdYYlmrz3l6H2YKvc

Here are the cliff notes:

The final annihilation of the life form known as "MAN" is now about to begin.

5 minutes ago, Stella Link said:

Here are the cliff notes:

The final annihilation of the life form known as "MAN" is now about to begin.

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, justhookit said:

Port A has been updating. We were truly stuck on 7 cases for two months. And right on cue, we just officially announced our 8th case today. I should know the details fairly soon.

Ok that case was an employee at Crazy Cajun restaurant. Since then 4 more people have tested positive. So 5 new cases of community transmission this week after having none for about 2 months.

Texas COVID hospitalizations fell yesterday.  And since more people are being admitted for non-COVID reasons (finally, thankfully), but are being tested for COVID, of course there will be more “COVID” patients in the hospitals, whether they were admitted for COVID or for some unrelated reason and are asymptomatic but positive for COVID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

we've been over this several times, but the cases spike, then the hospitalizations spike, then the deaths spike. here's the hospitalizations:

spacer.png

may 1: re-opening

14 days later, hospitalization rates start to climb.

Studies vary but most agree symptoms show up as early as 2-3 days after exposure and the average is closer to 5-6 days. 14 days is thought to be the max time for incubation.

1 minute ago, John Lawrence said:

Studies vary but most agree symptoms show up as early as 2-3 days after exposure and the average is closer to 5-6 days. 14 days is thought to be the max time for incubation.

thanks, john. probably all pretty coincidental and can be easily explained by other factors.

13 hours ago, 3adays said:

I read an article this morning in the New York Times advising people to set up glory holes during COVID-19. Reminded me of when my Great Grandmother use to say “she’d lived too long and seen too much” 

aggy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5972319

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

we've been over this several times, but the cases spike, then the hospitalizations spike, then the deaths spike. here's the hospitalizations:

spacer.png

I think we all know he’s going to just keep ignoring stuff like this and cite stats that aren’t actually indicative of his claims. 

Edit: well sunuvabitch, he already did it before i could even hit submit on my post.

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure does seem to be on target.  And I truly don't get why so many people are still going with bandanas and whatnot.  You can get a cheap surgical mask at Walgreens now for $2.  And you can reuse it -- remember, it's mostly to protect others from YOU.

For that matter, good cloth masks are available all over for less than $5.  My family has probably a dozen masks of different types floating around -- a couple of leftover N95s from work projects, a few dust masks, a couple of surgical masks, and several cloth masks.  We keep some in our car, some in the house to grab.  It's so damned easy, and they aren't too obtrusive at all.  Really, I've gotten used to it -- I've had to visit my dad in the hospital lately, so I've had periods where I've worn a mask for hours.  It doesn't really bother me.

FWIW I use a gaiter most of the time I'm out and about.

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

The number of places has closed. We went out for a walk last night and strolled past my favorite watering hole. They are trying to do the right thing with tables being spaced out, etc, but after a few beers ya need to take a piss. Most people in town are not wearing masks at all. 

On the first day bars opened 25%, I went through downtown on a run.  Louie's was completely packed, no one wearing masks.  Not coincidentally, Louie's is now closed.  Zelick's had a guy out front wearing a mask, regulating how many people were inside.  

I'm in Ruidoso for a month now.  At the stores here, probably a little over half the people are wearing masks.  They've had 5 cases in the entire county.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think we all know he’s going to just keep ignoring stuff like this and cite stats that aren’t actually indicative of his claims. 

Edit: well sunuvabitch, he already did it before i could even hit submit on my post.

you'd think the best stance to take would be to simply say 'yes, we're going to see a spike in cases/hospitalizations/deaths but it's an acceptable risk and we need to just deal with it as best we can.' then again, when your default response is to completely reject any information that you don't like, @John Lawrence's current stance makes perfect sense.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

On the first day bars opened 25%, I went through downtown on a run.  Louie's was completely packed, no one wearing masks.  Not coincidentally, Louie's is now closed.  Zelick's had a guy out front wearing a mask, regulating how many people were inside.  

I'm in Ruidoso for a month now.  At the stores here, probably a little over half the people are wearing masks.  They've had 5 cases in the entire county.

I went up to Z's for a beer when they opened. Chase had his protocols down. But, you still had to walk through the bar area to go to the restroom. Hence, a beer. 

And yeah, bunch of places closed down both downtown and along I35. Plus the river places. That is the one that made me laugh since they pushed to open and said they were so secure, etc. The little HEB is the worst place for me. About 20% wearing masks. I have stopped going and am back at curbside. 

Spend the morning volunteering and was impressed with the protocols at the food bank. The person who developed them reached out to a doctor friend of mine and he assisted. Hot as hell in their warehouse and everyone is wearing masks. 100% compliance. 

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure does seem to be on target.  And I truly don't get why so many people are still going with bandanas and whatnot.  You can get a cheap surgical mask at Walgreens now for $2.  And you can reuse it -- remember, it's mostly to protect others from YOU.

For that matter, good cloth masks are available all over for less than $5.  My family has probably a dozen masks of different types floating around -- a couple of leftover N95s from work projects, a few dust masks, a couple of surgical masks, and several cloth masks.  We keep some in our car, some in the house to grab.  It's so damned easy, and they aren't too obtrusive at all.  Really, I've gotten used to it -- I've had to visit my dad in the hospital lately, so I've had periods where I've worn a mask for hours.  It doesn't really bother me.

I’ve spoke with a fewl M.D.s and scientists on the mask topic and it’s really damn simple. Wear a mask and you won’t spread. The humidity created by a cotton mask or ‘medical’ mask will stop you from creating airborne Corona if you have it. And wash your hands.

Anyone anti-mask is truly an idiot.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you'd think the best stance to take would be to simply say 'yes, we're going to see a spike in cases/hospitalizations/deaths but it's an acceptable risk and we need to just deal with it as best we can.' then again, when your default response is to completely reject any information that you don't like, @John Lawrence's current stance makes perfect sense.

This. Team #fuck the olds (sorry Brat)

25 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I’ve spoke with a fewl M.D.s and scientists on the mask topic and it’s really damn simple. Wear a mask and you won’t spread. The humidity created by a cotton mask or ‘medical’ mask will stop you from creating airborne Corona if you have it. And wash your hands.

Yeah, I mean, I don't think it takes a whole lotta science.  I wear a basic cotton mask most of the time.  The other day, I coughed in it (allergies).  And I felt the mask puff a bit, but it seemed to hold.  So, I coughed in it a few more times on purpose, with my hand nearby to feel if anything came through.  It really didn't.  It's pretty effective at blocking droplets.

Just spoke with our director... looks like a lot of Houston hospitals are full or almost full for covid space. Methodist med center and st lukes both considering stopping elective cases this next week due to covid (same thing as a couple of months ago). 

Many hospitals on divert for possible covid/icu space. Fire up the tent next to the astrodome

I just simply don't get the anti mask position. Is it really that much of an inconvenience?
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I just simply don't get the anti mask position. Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

Honestly, I think the resistance is much more based on some ideological "nobody tells me what to do" and/or "it's all a hoax" position.  Sure, there's a mix of ignorance, laziness, and "they don't feel great" in the mix, but there's a lot of resistance based on ideology.  Which baffles me.

• Like 3

SIAP 

This is fucking gnarly

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/health/coronavirus-lung-transplant.html

A young woman whose lungs were destroyed by the coronavirus received a double lung transplant last week at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, the hospital reported on Thursday, the first known lung transplant in the United States for Covid-19.

The 10-hour surgery was more difficult and took several hours longer than most lung transplants because inflammation from the disease had left the woman’s lungs “completely plastered to tissue around them, the heart, the chest wall and diaphragm,” said Dr. Ankit Bharat, the chief of thoracic surgery and surgical director of the lung transplant program at Northwestern Medicine, which includes Northwestern Memorial Hospital, in an interview.

He said the patient, a woman in her 20s who had no serious underlying medical conditions, was recovering well: “She’s awake, she’s smiling, she FaceTimed with her family.”

But she has a long way to go. She is still on a ventilator because even though the transplanted lungs are healthy, her long illness has left her chest muscles too weak for breathing, and it will take time for her strength to return....

Here's one of her covid fucked lungs

merlin_173405046_88df6b25-1de2-4a38-9d63

Obviously no reason for us young folks to be concerned...

Update 6/12/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

6/3: 93 deaths

6/4: 95 deaths

6/5: 97 deaths

6/8: 97 deaths

6/10: 99 deaths

6/11: 99 deaths

6/12: 101 deaths

Last 10 Days: +8

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/3: Hp - 93, ICU - 41, Vent - 21

6/4: Hp - 91, ICU - 38, Vent - 20

6/5: Hp - 88, ICU - 37, Vent - 22

6/8: Hp - 87, ICU - 40, Vent - 25

6/10: Hp - 91, ICU - 36, Vent - 26

6/11: HP - 104, ICU - 44, Vent - 27

6/12: Hp - 112, ICU - 46, Vent - 26

Last 10 Days: Hp: +9, ICU: +5,Vent: +5

Ten Day Average HP (rolling): 93 (6/6,6/7,6/9 used 88 so not 100% accurate)

10 Day Avg on 6/11 - 91.5

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/12/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 57,657 (54.6%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           47,913

Total:                                                         105,570

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,442

NJ: 12,489

Mass: 7,538

Pennsylvania: 6,162

Illinois: 5,795

Total: 56,426 (53.4% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

17 minutes ago, B00M said:

SIAP 

This is fucking gnarly

A young woman whose lungs were destroyed by the coronavirus received a double lung transplant last week at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, the hospital reported on Thursday, the first known lung transplant in the United States for Covid-19.

The 10-hour surgery was more difficult and took several hours longer than most lung transplants because inflammation from the disease had left the woman’s lungs “completely plastered to tissue around them, the heart, the chest wall and diaphragm,” said Dr. Ankit Bharat, the chief of thoracic surgery and surgical director of the lung transplant program at Northwestern Medicine, which includes Northwestern Memorial Hospital, in an interview.

He said the patient, a woman in her 20s who had no serious underlying medical conditions, was recovering well: “She’s awake, she’s smiling, she FaceTimed with her family.”

But she has a long way to go. She is still on a ventilator because even though the transplanted lungs are healthy, her long illness has left her chest muscles too weak for breathing, and it will take time for her strength to return....

Hide contents

merlin_173405046_88df6b25-1de2-4a38-9d63

Take it to the HEY STEELSHANK thread

• Like 1

Fuck. Just got off the phone with my 79 yo mother who lives out in the Permian Basin. She didn't really have much time to talk because she was too busy with the bridge game she had invited some of her friends over to play.

I asked her if she was wearing a mask, and she said "no" because she had been back to socializing with them since their church reopened for services a few weeks ago and thought they were safe. Of course, I told her to put one on and reminded her that her friends can get exposed to others and pass it to her without them knowing it, but she got annoyed by my distracting her game so I let her go. Oh, she also has another social engagement tonight with a separate group. smh

I hadn't checked their local numbers in the last couple of weeks because it was basically nonexistent locally (3 cases in a county of 35,000). Today, they're at 18 with half of them showing up since Monday, and in neighboring Midland/Odessa cases and hospitalizations have also increased significantly in the last week. It looks like it's finally hitting them out there.

I'm at a loss for words now. She and my dad are just going to do what they do no matter what my sister (pediatric PA in Denver) and I ask them to do to protect themselves.

Btw, that lung up above reminds me of something she told me about one of her patients: perfectly healthy 12yo whose lungs she described as becoming "liquefied" by Covid. The practice she works at has had ~200 kids test positive so far.

• Like 1

2012 Is Bullshit; 2020 Is When We’ll Really Be in Trouble

Scientist Peter Turchin's work suggests that the next state of upheaval in the US is set to hit in 2020 based on historical violence cycles.

What did that guy know?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gvbg5/2012-is-bullshit-2020-is-when-well-really-be-in-trouble-fob-0003000-v19n10?fbclid=IwAR3A6xddQWIy1geudDQhJfjmVlkN78-2GUnpb0RJPZau0r39JFhJBgVBzjQ

Honestly, I think the resistance is much more based on some ideological "nobody tells me what to do" and/or "it's all a hoax" position.  Sure, there's a mix of ignorance, laziness, and "they don't feel great" in the mix, but there's a lot of resistance based on ideology.  Which baffles me.

It baffles me too. The movie "Idiocracy" seemed ridiculous when it came out. It now appears to be more real than we care to accept.

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Yup my parents just left the Permian Basin to get away from the pure lack of care displayed by the vast majority in the area.

I can well imagine having grown up there and understanding their defiant attitudes, which has both its positives and negatives. My sister and her husband had just been down there last week to see my folks, and she remarked how insanely blase everyone was acting about not taking precautions. She did, at least, drop off a couple of N95s for our parents which they're apparently neglecting.

52 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

2012 Is Bullshit; 2020 Is When We’ll Really Be in Trouble

Scientist Peter Turchin's work suggests that the next state of upheaval in the US is set to hit in 2020 based on historical violence cycles.

What did that guy know?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gvbg5/2012-is-bullshit-2020-is-when-well-really-be-in-trouble-fob-0003000-v19n10?fbclid=IwAR3A6xddQWIy1geudDQhJfjmVlkN78-2GUnpb0RJPZau0r39JFhJBgVBzjQ

In your view, what causes these upheavals?
Historically, the trouble has always come from people with power, and the number of those people who want the most power. There are too many political entrepreneurs who are all trying to get power, and they get frustrated, which is how revolutions start: when members of the elite try to overturn the political order to better suit themselves.

Yeah, that dude nailed it. 

• Like 1

SIAP 
This is fucking gnarly

merlin_173405046_88df6b25-1de2-4a38-9d63-86d5669fea16-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale&width=600

Take it to the queso thread
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

spacer.png

So.......two weeks?

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not wanting to argue, but I figured you, if anyone, would understand the "Fuck them telling me what to do" mentality.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Not wanting to argue, but I figured you, if anyone, would understand the "Fuck them telling me what to do" mentality.

I get it to some degree....but when what's underneath it is "but even if it's not required, for fuck's sake, it's the decent and considerate thing to do," godfuckingdammit.  I mean, nobody tells me by force of law that I have to return my grocery cart, but I do because I choose not to be a fucking asshole.

I don't care if it's a gov't decree of "don't be a fucking asshole," or simply a social entreaty of "please, don't be a fucking asshole," the result should be the same: DON'T BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE.  Choose not to be one.  Just do that.

• Like 6

I don't usually post over here, but among some of the grim news, I hadn't seen this posted although I didn't look very far. It's perhaps a way to promote masks for the younger crowd, and it's kinda cool. Short video but you can see some of the designs. I wonder if I can get a Deadpool or Groot.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I get it to some degree....but when what's underneath it is "but even if it's not required, for fuck's sake, it's the decent and considerate thing to do," godfuckingdammit.  I mean, nobody tells me by force of law that I have to return my grocery cart, but I do because I choose not to be a fucking asshole.

I don't care if it's a gov't decree of "don't be a fucking asshole," or simply a social entreaty of "please, don't be a fucking asshole," the result should be the same: DON'T BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE.  Choose not to be one.  Just do that.

That's fair, but...

when I see 10-20% of the folks not wearing it, and that's an extremely conservative estimate; it might as well be nobody wearing them.

That's been my position the whole time-  If we all aren't doing it; it might as well be nobody doing it.

• Fuck You 2

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't usually post over here, but among some of the grim news, I hadn't seen this posted although I didn't look very far. It's perhaps a way to promote masks for the younger crowd, and it's kinda cool. Short video but you can see some of the designs. I wonder if I can get a Deadpool or Groot.

Which grim news are you referring to?

• Like 1

Interesting social experiment at the HEB this afternoon.

I’m walking out behind a woman with all her shit, including a bunch of stuff on the bottom rack of the shopping cart. She gets to the bottom of the ramp and it all dumps out. I and to other guys take a step to help her pick it up. And then we see that she’s not wearing a mask.

All at the same time, the three guys go “nah” and walk away. Fuck her—if she’s not going to help us by wearing a mask, we’re not gonna help her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away