Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

The uptick we saw last week was primarily the Memorial Day weekend bump. This week when it hockey sticks up even harder, THAT's the bulk of the impact from protests.

But yeah, I'd consider protesting against unchecked police brutality, murders, and racism to be far more essential than overpaying for miller/coors/bud lite and shitty well cocktails.

2 hours ago, stone oak said:

I can't keep up, are we social distancing this week or not? Because last week and the week before, it was totally fine if we weren't.

It depends....on whether your a protester or trying to save your business and make a living     

• Like 4

After traveling through Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota over the last couple weeks, I can confirm that pretty much nobody in middle America gives a fuck about covid. Maybe that will change as they see more cases. Maybe not. 
Username kinda sorta maybe checks out
  • Like 1

Just now, gmr548 said:
2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:
After traveling through Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota over the last couple weeks, I can confirm that pretty much nobody in middle America gives a fuck about covid. Maybe that will change as they see more cases. Maybe not. 

Username kinda sorta maybe checks out

Oh it most definitely checks out

9 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

👀

imagine that 

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

The uptick we saw last week was primarily the Memorial Day weekend bump. This week when it hockey sticks up even harder, THAT's the bulk of the impact from protests.

But yeah, I'd consider protesting against unchecked police brutality, murders, and racism to be far more essential than overpaying for miller/coors/bud lite and shitty well cocktails.

What better way to accelerate the progressive movement than to kill all the olds?

• Haha 1

Kinda true. I was in the grocery yesterday and I’d say 50/50 masks where I live.. Also ended up “following” a family of 3 throughout the aisles that brought a less than 1 month old inside the store, no masks from mom and dad. Morans.

I think Mpls St. Paul is mandatory mask usage

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

This past weekend I went to my first restaurant and bar since early March. Saturday brunch at Tillery and Sunday pints at Woodrow’s on Burnet. Both were outdoors, and staff at both places wore masks. The tables at Tillery were about 10 feet apart. Woodrow’s wouldn’t let us come on site without a temperature reading, and we were at least 6 feet from other patrons.

I have to admit it felt so fucking good to finally experience a semblance of normalcy after being confined to my house for most of my walking minutes for the past three months. But with the number of Travis County cases and hospitalizations increasing, I’m also concerned it’s that kind of behavior contributing to the rise. I was considering a return to Woodrow’s later in the week, but am rethinking that now.

Judging from your experiences in recent months, I think more sexual intercourse is the answer.

• Haha 1

There was a justification for a first shutdown. The virus was a great unknown. Now we have the data necessary to manage our way around it. It's not going away, and we're not in danger of overwhelming any healthcare systems.

We can quickly add beds if needed.  Like the hospital at NRG that never got used.  There is going to be bigger spikes in states that have had low death rates as the virus just has not burned through yet.  California is spiking and has had pretty significant lockdowns in place.

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Honestly, the protests here have been massive.  There seems to be zero leg to stand on here by both NY State and NY City officials.  You have let protests do whatever the hell they want to do for 2-3 weeks.  It is time to let us go shopping and go sit at an outdoor bar if we so wish.  

This is the Black Trans Lives Matter protest in Brooklyn yesterday.  I am not seeing a lot of social distancing going on.

WHOOPSIE DAISY......

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They have a plan.  Crater the economy, rile up backlash against Trump. Win in November. It's funny how business owners are being threatened while protests are welcomed with open arms.  

What a co-inky-dink.

You forgot turn kids away from playgrounds. That can’t be allowed either. 

I figured I would post this article here about one of our closest family friends who died from COVID-19. It was in the WSJ on June 12 by Jason Gay.

Arnold the Grammarian

A tribute to a Journal reader who loved the way words can sing - but not always in my case

OG-EM306_202006_M_20200612113944.jpgThe best part of this job? That’s easy: readers. Some days, readers like me; other days, they can’t stand me; sometimes, they want me to quit the business and get a job knitting hand puppets.It’s all fair. I’ve been doing this for a long while, at a lot of different publications, and I know what it’s like to have nobody read what I’m doing. That anyone would take a moment to read my column feels like a blessing, for which I’m grateful.
For instance: Arnold Tenenbaum. A kindhearted gentleman from Savannah, Ga., who liked brightly patterned shirts and funky sunglasses, Arnold was the patriarch of an eccentric Southern family I’d known since I’d met Arnold and his wife Lorlee’s youngest daughter, Ali, while in college.

To know the Tenenbaums was to want to be one; it’s why a pair of family friends, Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson, borrowed the name when they wrote the screenplay for “The Royal Tenenbaums.”

Arnold seemed to catch everything. He had an appreciation for the way words were supposed to be.

The film was only very loosely based on the real Tenenbaums. But Arnold loved every second of the fuss.

Arnold was also a huge Journal reader, and when I got a job working here, he cheered me like I’d landed on the surface of the moon. With great regularity, he’d check in on me—always with a thoughtful comment about something I’d just written, and almost always with, well…a grammatical correction.

Here’s something you may already know about newspapers: We don’t always get the grammar so good. This especially applies to yours truly. My command of English is fungible at best; I have a copy of Strunk & White sitting somewhere in my house, uncracked since high school. I like to think that I’m being heretically modern and playful, but the truth is, I have zero idea what I am doing. My Journal editors are brilliant at saving me from my butchery, but they can’t catch everything, especially on deadline.

Arnold seemed to catch everything. He belonged to a certain type of old-school newspaper crowd. He didn’t mind technology, but he preferred to read print, a pen or a pencil nearby, just in case some egregious blunder had to be noted. Arnold wasn’t an English professor or writer—he’d gone to Dartmouth and taken over his family’s steel business not long after graduation—but he had an appreciation for the way words were supposed to be.

RV-BD199_GAY_P_20200612111044.jpg

Arnold and Lorlee Tenenbaum

Photo: Courtesy Alison Tenenbaum

“I don’t know where it came from,” Ali told me the other day. “It was natural to him.”

Arnold would write to me, his gentle fixes humanely wrapped in compliments:

Fun column but next to last paragraph: ‘None of them have’ should be ‘none of them has.’ None is short for no one (singular.) X Arnold

Excellent article, wonderful paragraphs…dare I point out…page 74, second column, second paragraph, second sentence: ‘Keep’ not ‘keeps.’ X Arnold

Good article on the Oscars but one grammatical correction: Next to last paragraph should begin with ‘Among,’ not ‘Between.’ Between is between two alternates. Among is more than two. I hope all is good. X Arnold

You might think that this sort of hen-pecking would get on my nerves after a while—who enjoys having their grammar corrected?—but I appreciated it so much. Readers who do this do it because they love words, but also the rules of words. They believe that structure is important and spelling counts.

Besides, Arnold was always sweet, fatherly. He was the opposite of a scold. He was a grammarian of style, but also grace.

A couple of months ago, the emails stopped. Arnold Tenenbaum died on March 24. Five days later, his beloved Lorlee passed away. Both of them died of complications from Covid-19. They are survived by four children and eight grandchildren. After a lengthy delay because of the pandemic, they will be buried in Savannah on Sunday—June 14, the day they would have celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary.

Ali told me the Tenenbaum children are still gently nudging the grandkids when they bungle a sentence. It’s what her father would have wanted, she said.

It sure is.

I miss hearing from Arnold, a reader who loved words as much as anyone ever has.

Or is it “anyone ever had’? Or should it be ‘did’?

Forgive me, Arnold. I miss you. X Jason.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Still need names or something to track. Would eat up time. 

would it not be important to know if the positive person attended a protest?  we are talking all of 5 seconds to ask and answer.

32 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Apparently Phase III of the reopening still prohibits jerking off in Olive Garden.

That's a damn shame, you keep giving me all that endless salad dressing that has the perfect oil consistency.  

Plus the "hey ladies, care for my breadstick" jokes just write themselves.  We're not supposed to make fun of Olive Garden though because it sounds elitist.  

dont understand why NYC wouldn't want to know if a positive person attended a protest but I suppose if you aren't asking if you went to a beach on memorial day or a family gathering at a park or a home depot its fine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

dont understand why NYC wouldn't want to know if a positive person attended a protest but I suppose if you aren't asking if you went to a beach on memorial day or a family gathering at a park or a home depot its fine.

The exposition in the article wasn't clear.  My assumption is that they ask for all activity and contacts within the appropriate "suspect" period of time, but not explicitly about any particular events or classification of events.  I'd be surprised if they asked specifically about Memorial Day get-togethers, or church gatherings, or anything else that definite.  So I'd also be surprised if they asked specifically about protests.

I'd expect that they ask something like "who have you been in contact with, within 6 feet, with or without face coverings, and are there any other details you can provide that would help us trace your contacts for the sake of public health and safety?"

It's going to be up to the individual to disclose that information, whether it was tubing on the river or attending a protest.

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The exposition in the article wasn't clear.  My assumption is that they ask for all activity and contacts within the appropriate "suspect" period of time, but not explicitly about any particular events or classification of events.  I'd be surprised if they asked specifically about Memorial Day get-togethers, or church gatherings, or anything else that definite.  So I'd also be surprised if they asked specifically about protests.

I'd expect that they ask something like "who have you been in contact with, within 6 feet, with or without face coverings, and are there any other details you can provide that would help us trace your contacts for the sake of public health and safety?"

It's going to be up to the individual to disclose that information, whether it was tubing on the river or attending a protest.

sure. I guess the answer could be none and then you call who you know you were with.

If you've updated your phone since around mid-May, you already have the technology in your pocket to do mostly automatic contact tracing.

If we all turned it on and we had the correct app for the health authorities to use, contract tracing would be as simple as pushing a button on a phone of someone who tests positive and everyone who was near that person for too long would get a message saying that they might have been exposed.

I am amazed that we are not pushing ahead with this as fast as possible.  States are refusing to use this technology and instead going with manual contact tracing.  Do you remember the names and phone numbers of everyone you stood near for too long at HEB a week ago?  No?  Maybe because you never met them?  Your phone met their phone, or at least it could have.

I understand there are privacy concerns (or maybe, Apple and Google's system provides too much privacy) but the numbers are rising and we have the technology on hand to make a dent, we just are choosing not to use it.  We can't even opt in to voluntarily joining a national system, because the system today requires a public health authority to release an app to cover an area, and most states have decided not to do that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

That's a damn shame, you keep giving me all that endless salad dressing that has the perfect oil consistency.  

Plus the "hey ladies, care for my breadstick" jokes just write themselves.  We're not supposed to make fun of Olive Garden though because it sounds elitist.  

Hey, that endless salad isn’t going to dress itself.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away