CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

My college student daughter just went OFF on politicians getting the vaccine. “Who the fuck do they think they are? They’re not better or important than anyone else!” She did concede that the POTUS and the immediate line of succession as CINC should get them as a matter of national security....but that’s it. “Congressman and senators and governors? Who the fuck are you? You’re just us - you’re literally our representatives. Lead by example and get in line with the rest of us.” She went on to explain that no matter how hard she’s worked for Dems the past four years, she’s happy to rip into them for failing to lead by example.

What the fuck happened to leading by example? To showing the virtue of sacrifice and patience by your example? To putting yourself at risk to show the troops that they can and should follow you to the gates of hell? We have an absolute across the board crisis of leadership. Adler, Newsome, Rubio....all of them. Who has the fucking integrity, honor, and courage to lead from the front? Fucking nobody. We’re a nation of selfish, stupid cowards....and I guess we’re getting the leadership that matches our character.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My college student daughter just went OFF on politicians getting the vaccine. “Who the fuck do they think they are? They’re not better or important than anyone else!” She did concede that the POTUS and the immediate line of succession as CINC should get them as a matter of national security....but that’s it. “Congressman and senators and governors? Who the fuck are you? You’re just us - you’re literally our representatives. Lead by example and get in line with the rest of us.” She went on to explain that no matter how hard she’s worked for Dems the past four years, she’s happy to rip into them for failing to lead by example.

What the fuck happened to leading by example? To showing the virtue of sacrifice and patience by your example? To putting yourself at risk to show the troops that they can and should follow you to the gates of hell? We have an absolute across the board crisis of leadership. Adler, Newsome, Rubio....all of them. Who has the fucking integrity, honor, and courage to lead from the front? Fucking nobody. We’re a nation of selfish, stupid cowards....and I guess we’re getting the leadership that matches our character.

what happened? the 80's and "greed is good" happened. there was some shit before and after that, but that's when it gained momentum. it has been "fuck you, pay me" ever since

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Casting party line votes on pre-produced bills is an essential business!

9 minutes ago, Xian said:

I thought the logic was we wanted these high profile trumpers to get it in order to prove to the wackos it is safe. Is that no longer true?   

They should get it in line with the rest of us.  Roll Pence and Karen Ice Cube out to get their shot for the cameras.  Rubio can fuck right off. 

I thought the logic was we wanted these high profile trumpers to get it in order to prove to the wackos it is safe. Is that no longer true?   

We do....in due order.

Rubio is no more important - fuck that, he’s LESS important - than millions of hardworking men and women his age. Get in line, fucksticks. This isn’t a monarchy. And if you want to keep acting like it is, we should do what we do with monarchs - kick them all the fucking way out of the country. I hate royals, and I hate those who would pretend to be royals. “We the people” are at the top of this org chart, motherfuckers. Get behind US, bitches. You work for US.

We need more guillotines.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Xian said:

They need to see the Big Dog get it. They don’t give a shit if Rubio gets the vaccine. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Big dog not eligible for multiple reasons. Ab treatments and prior infection. Fuck him. Stick to the script. 

They don’t give a shit or understand. The God King hasn’t gotten it, so why should they?

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah this is the USA. 

New Zealand is that way ---------->

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

How will these vaccines work against that new strain?

BBC reporting should be good to go. But with this fucking thing who really knows. 

Will the vaccines work against the new variant?
Almost certainly yes, or at least for now.
All three leading vaccines develop an immune response against the existing spike, which is why the question comes up.
Vaccines train the immune system to attack several different parts of the virus, so even though part of the spike has mutated, the vaccines should still work.
"But if we let it add more mutations, then you start worrying," said Prof Gupta.
"This virus is potentially on a pathway for vaccine escape, it has taken the first couple of steps towards that."
Vaccine escape happens when the virus changes so it dodges the full effect of the vaccine and continues to infect people.
This may be the most concerning element of what is happening with the virus.
This variant is just the latest to show the virus is continuing to adapt as it infects more and more of us.
A presentation by Prof David Robertson, from the University of Glasgow on Friday, concluded: "The virus will probably be able to generate vaccine escape mutants."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55388846

New to this thread...first, I am happy to note that as a teacher, I fall into the 1b category....but, since I live in rural Alaska, am guessing the vaccine will not get here until February... anybody with intelligent guesses how long it will be?

Next question...Is there anybody else out there curious like I am about number of total deaths in U.S. in 2020 vs. 2019?

Last question...Anybody else curious about number of vaccines going into arms during Trump administration vs. vaccines in arms during equal number of days of Biden administration?

i know how u guys are, so let the beatings begin. Like Biden, I “choose truth over facts.”

1) who knows. Rural AK is basically Russia anyway 

2) 299,028 more deaths between January 26 and October 3 2020 than the average of the same dates from 2015-2019. Well over 300k by now but official reported numbers haven't caught up yet

3) weird question. It'll be more during early Biden admin because the supply of vaccine will be higher and rollout larger by late January than now. It's just getting started now

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 1

And just as an “of course they are!” aside, anti-vaxxers/Covid deniers/conspiracy nutjobs/5G truthers etc. are now starting to claim that the new variant in the UK is being CAUSED by the vaccine.

I’ve also started seeing some vague unsourced screenshot supposedly from the Pfizer clinical trial data that claims thousands of the participants are now “disabled” after receiving the vaccine.

I help manage my hospital’s Facebook page and I can’t even count the number of absolutely nutjob comments I’ve had to hide on our posts promoting our front line clinical workers getting the vaccine.

I find out tomorrow if I’m high enough on the list to get the vaccine tomorrow. We got ~400 doses last Monday and we’ll see how many we get in the next shipment tomorrow.

Not going to lie and say I’m not a little nervy about getting it but I think that’s just because I’m a worrier by nature and a pessimist by experience.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And just as an “of course they are!” aside, anti-vaxxers/Covid deniers/conspiracy nutjobs/5G truthers etc. are now starting to claim that the new variant in the UK is being CAUSED by the vaccine.

I’ve also started seeing some vague unsourced screenshot supposedly from the Pfizer clinical trial data that claims thousands of the participants are now “disabled” after receiving the vaccine.

I help manage my hospital’s Facebook page and I can’t even count the number of absolutely nutjob comments I’ve had to hide on our posts promoting our front line clinical workers getting the vaccine.

I find out tomorrow if I’m high enough on the list to get the vaccine tomorrow. We got ~400 doses last Monday and we’ll see how many we get in the next shipment tomorrow.

Not going to lie and say I’m not a little nervy about getting it but I think that’s just because I’m a worrier by nature and a pessimist by experience.

Not that a single (or any small number) anecdotal experience means diddly, but I got mine approximately 48 hours ago and I feel completely fine. My arm was a little sore yesterday and the injection site is still sore to touch today, but big whoop. That is literally any IM injection. All of my coworkers who wanted it have gotten it, and I haven't heard of any one of them having any problems either. 

I've heard that the second shot often produces more of an antibody response (with corresponding symptoms) than the first, so we'll see what happens. Can't wait for dating to include your vaccination status.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Also, if anyone had any delusions that 3K dying a day would deter holiday travel. 

Well duh, you show me a holiday season where upgrades have never been easier.  dead people can't fly.  I mean, they can.  But they can't take the economy+ seat I had my eye on while browsing orbitz.

And subliminal---that's what the wife and I tell ourselves each day.  We're not spending nearly the money we would during a normal holiday so we can donate more to those truly in need in our community.  And we're not hosting, visiting, or traveling in person.  it sucks, we're probably a little paranoid, but we think of it...as you said...as doing out little part.  Our small part.  Due to an esophageal thing, I clear my throat (which already has a very deep bass-baritone) several times per hour.  Just me not doing that in public for a few hours probably halts transmission in some small way.  It's a little thing I can do to not go into public for sustained periods of time.  Even though I clear with my mouth closed and with mask on, who knows just because of the frequency with which I have to do it?  That's me hanging back this Christmas to try to help save old people from choking out to death.  I wish old fatties would do the same for one another. 

You've heard of the Great Unwashed?  Lemme tell you about the 2020 holidays and the plague of the Great Unmasked. 

Edited by Lobo

Not that a single (or any small number) anecdotal experience means diddly, but I got mine approximately 48 hours ago and I feel completely fine. My arm was a little sore yesterday and the injection site is still sore to touch today, but big whoop. That is literally any IM injection. All of my coworkers who wanted it have gotten it, and I haven't heard of any one of them having any problems either. 
I've heard that the second shot often produces more of an antibody response (with corresponding symptoms) than the first, so we'll see what happens. Can't wait for dating to include your vaccination status.

Username does not check out