CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Make the connection for me.  It's political because Collins and Fauci are bureaucrats?

Fauci and Collins are political animals operating in a political environment, and have been doing so for decades. Maybe the problem here is that you don't know what the word "political" means?

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Fauci and Collins are political animals operating in a political environment, and have been doing so for decades. Maybe the problem here is that you don't know what the word "political" means?

I get and respect you have educated concerns with his scientific messaging.  But Dr. Fauci is now a political animal operating behind the scenes for decades?  That's the new story?  This was all a long-game for 50 years by Fauci to get himself as the faceman for the NIH?  That's what we're going with now?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I get and respect you have educated concerns with his scientific messaging.  But Dr. Fauci is now a political animal operating behind the scenes for decades?  That's the new story?  This was all a long-game for 50 years by Fauci to get himself as the faceman for the NIH?  That's what we're going with now?  

Fauci has been Director of NIAID for nearly 40 years. You know how these things work, and you know what 4 decades in the bureaucracy does. What I don't understand is your knee jerk response to criticism of what amount to life long bureaucrats.    

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Stepson just popped positive, as I suspected.  Fully vaxxed, no booster.  Symptomatic Wednesday morning (fever, headache, chills), mostly better by Thursday night.  Negative test Wednesday.  Inconclusive test this morning, positive test this afternoon.

I haven't spent much time around him this week, but 3-4 other family members have been closer than I over that time frame.  Two of them aren't vaccinated (one isn't eligible, the other is an idiot).

Merry f'n Christmas!  We all feel fine, but that means nothing.  No fevers.  Fingers crossed.

It’s not worth testing for up to 4 weeks after he starts feeling better. It could take awhile for the dead virus cells to leave his body. I was a bit concerned about this after my positive test, until informed about this from the nurse (duh). 

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Stepson just popped positive, as I suspected.  Fully vaxxed, no booster.  Symptomatic Wednesday morning (fever, headache, chills), mostly better by Thursday night.  Negative test Wednesday.  Inconclusive test this morning, positive test this afternoon.

I haven't spent much time around him this week, but 3-4 other family members have been closer than I over that time frame.  Two of them aren't vaccinated (one isn't eligible, the other is an idiot).

Merry f'n Christmas!  We all feel fine, but that means nothing.  No fevers.  Fingers crossed.

Update for anyone who cares:  wife, other son, and stepdaughter have tested negative (so far).  I haven't tested.  If I get it, it's gonna be through my wife or our other son, whom I take to school every day (now over) and ferry all over the state for soccer (also over).  I'll just wait until I either start feeling crummy or one of them flips positive.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Layman’s terms @Anastasis?

38535BD6-F0A9-49E1-A7BE-F249B652BB01.gif

Omicron spike not as good as delta spike, and even less effective than wild type/wuhan COVID spike.  Have to do booster shot to neutralize it, but the data points suggest that it is less infective.    

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Fauci has been Director of NIAID for nearly 40 years. You know how these things work, and you know what 4 decades in the bureaucracy does. What I don't understand is your knee jerk response to criticism of what amount to life long bureaucrats.    

What does 4 decades in bureaucracy do? And how would you know? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Update for anyone who cares:  wife, other son, and stepdaughter have tested negative (so far).  I haven't tested.  If I get it, it's gonna be through my wife or our other son, whom I take to school every day (now over) and ferry all over the state for soccer (also over).  I'll just wait until I either start feeling crummy or one of them flips positive.

Why haven’t you tested bro? I woke up with a hell of a hangover from a Christmas last night and had a sore throat. Ran a test right before I headed out to pick up crepes for breakfast. 

the reality is that regular testing needs to be a way of life as we head into the holidays. 

oh, negative. Just too many dirty martinis  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

The greatest failing of our Covid response has been wrt scaling up at home testing. 

yes. the initial failing of not prioritizing testing, followed by the not wanting to get vaccinated. a lot of this could have been mitigated here if one single person wasn't against testing and was loud about it.

he did do a good job with operation warp speed. i'd love to see how that whole thing came about and who did what to make that happen.

• Hook 'Em 5

44 minutes ago, Satchel said:

If the recalcitrant would get vaccinated, we could get this thing under control.

Could we?  NFL, NBA, CBB and numerous highly vaccinated universities shutting down makes me believe it helps secure a healthy outcome, but we aren’t getting the spread under control. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Former GSK executive lead it. Biden replaced him in early 2021 with a former FDA bureaucrat. 

Led what?  Creating the vaccine?  Didn’t the pharma companies to that?  I recall that when the new admin took over they had to start the vaccination plan from scratch because it was basically non-existent. 

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Fauci and Collins are political animals operating in a political environment, and have been doing so for decades.

Thanks for clearing that up. The first time around you said it's political because they are bureaucrats.  I guess you realized that was a stupid assertion and I'm glad you changed it to this because this could actually be true/correct. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Why haven’t you tested bro?

Simple answer?  Couldn't find a test kit.  Wife grabbed the last 2 at CVS near Deep Eddy, and we used them all on the family (3 neg + 1 pos).  They had a few left at the Jewish HEB today and I grabbed one.  I'll test in a bit once I get this chili going.

Anyone know if there's a significant difference in specificity/whatever it is betwen BinaxNow and the others?  This is a different brand.

• Hook 'Em 1

Boosters for the young are not needed and are purely political - scathing review with receipts.  Bottom line - get a booster if you are old or fat but otherwise don't bother as the risk/reward calculus doesn't justify.

Edited by Cement

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Thanks for clearing that up. The first time around you said it's political because they are bureaucrats.  I guess you realized that was a stupid assertion and I'm glad you changed it to this because this could actually be true/correct. 

I hope that you feel better. 

Anyone know if there's a significant difference in specificity/whatever it is betwen BinaxNow and the others?  This is a different brand.

They are all fairly similar in terms of sens/spec but the abbot Binax tests are the easiest to administer imo. 

34 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey me too!  3 shots (J&J + 2 pfizer) and covid so far.  Going to get a pfizer booster in Jan to be sure.  But yes, I should be immortal.  Not the poster.  Thank god.

Me three!

although I still don’t have normal full taste and smell and am starting to give up on it. Oh well.  Beats dying some horrible intubated death.

• Hook 'Em 2

After a week+ back in Austin the Covid reaction between here and Singapore is pretty striking.

Singapore has roughly 100% of people in public in masks. There is a $500 fine and possible jail time.

Austin has around 10% in my estimation.

In Singapore there is mandatory contact tracing entering every store and restaurant via a govt trace app. I’ve had my phone die and had to go home to charge before I could order food. You have to show vax status if you want to dine in.

Here I have been asked to check in once (tile supply store in Plugerville).

There has been a recent surge in Singapore despite the measures (and a high vac rate) so I’m not sure what the answer is. But it just strange to see the differences.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Well, that's not encouraging.

I was gonna say, that while it sucks we have no national at home testing system, I’d argue it’s worse that we can’t even get accurate results from the tests we do have. It’s been two fucking years and tests are still this faulty?! What the fuck.

As for the below, what’s an essential bar or restaurant look like or serve that distinguishes it as a refined establishment?

43 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

1 minute ago, achooloco said:

I was gonna say, that while it sucks we have no national at home testing system, I’d argue it’s worse that we can’t even get accurate results from the tests we do have. It’s been two fucking years and tests are still this faulty?! What the fuck.

I *think* what is being claimed is that at-home tests fail to pick up asymptomatic disease some 40% of the time, not that a negative reading is incorrect 40% of the time.  In other words, if the positivity rate is 10%, tests will indicate 6% positive, 94% negative (90% of which would be correct readings).

Or maybe I'm interpreting that wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1