CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Italy reported 793 new corona deaths in 24 hours? Well thats not terrifying at all.

Especially since the US is about 3 weeks behind Italy I heard.

our trains are on the same track.  we're a couple weeks behind but the stops are all the same.

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Quite the Black Swan, that

These shows are happening every day now and they're filled with Trump repeating the same talking points over and over, and lies, and just a little new useful information. You could've missed that presser and not really be any less informed. I'm much less offended by someone asking about the Olympics than I am by some OAN stooge (I assume that's who blondie was working for) asking Trump why the Washington Post is so mean to him.

These briefings will go on. You won't like every question asked by reporters. It gets tedious when people look for every opportunity to bitch and moan about the press at these events. Sure, it would be great if they stood up, shouted, "You're a fucking liar!" and walked out of the room. But that's not their job. As a reporter, dealing with a narcissistic sociopath and pathological liar has to be extremely tough. I don't envy any of them their job. There but for providence go I, so I'm hesitant to be too judgmental. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes. 

12 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Italy reported 793 new corona deaths in 24 hours? Well thats not terrifying at all.

I’ve said this before but we should prepare for a 9/11 sized death toll on a daily basis for awhile. 

16 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

2 weeks (at least as far as deaths go). Italy was at 49 daily deaths on 3/6. We were at 49 yesterday (exactly 2 weeks from the 6th). Here is how it progressed for Italy. 

• March 6 = 49; 
  • March 9 = 97;
  • March 12 = 189
  • March 15 = 368
  • March 18 = 475
  • March 20 = 627
  • March 21 =  793 (with 4 more hours to go). 

Given that deaths represent people infected 3-5 weeks ago, we should expect our trend to continue for at least another 2 weeks and probably more like 3. Which means 6,000 dead a day is possible before we start to see any slowing in the trend. 

Edited by Dahobbs

16 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I've been telling my cadre of particularly stupid friends that we'll top the H1N1 death toll (12K+) within two weeks.  None of them believe me.

I just say "watch".  

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been telling my cadre of particularly stupid friends that we'll top the H1N1 death tool (12K+) within two weeks.  None of them believe me.

I just say "watch".  

Yeah, our host canceled our poker game this week because he was afraid to play cards with four other guys sitting at the table (one of whom is his nephew who he sees all the time). I told him if we didn't play this week then we probably won't play again in quite a while. He said, nah, he thinks we'll be good to go again in 2-4 weeks. I assured him he wouldn't feel any safer 4 weeks from now. 

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The best part is when they start joking and laughing. 

Well, Bobblehead (Pence) isn't going to be laughing if they didn't get his office quarantined and disinfected in time. You only get so many second chances even if you have the good Lord on speed dial.

26 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/fda-coronavirus-test/index.html

(CNN)The US Food and Drug Administration announced it has approved the use of the first rapid diagnostic test that could detect coronavirus in approximately 45 minutes.

The authorization was made Friday 

Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. We hope it does. We'll see what happens. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Its mostly 80+ year olds and people with comprised immune systems dying right?

Do you know what the real correlations are as far as underlying health conditions go?

High blood pressure, obesity, diabetes.

That's a little more broad-based than "comprised (sic) immune systems".  33% of Americans have high blood pressure, 40% are obese, and 10% have diabetes.

Let's just assume a little shy of pure overlap and say that half of Americans are in the bucket of "much more likely to die of COVID-19".  Feel better now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you know what the real correlations are as far as underlying health conditions go?

High blood pressure, obesity, diabetes.

That's a little more broad-based than "comprised (sic) immune systems".  33% of Americans have high blood pressure, 40% are obese, and 10% have diabetes.

Let's just assume a little shy of pure overlap and say that half of Americans are in the bucket of "much more likely to die of COVID-19".  Feel better now?

And in the ultimate irony, the majority of that half are probably dotard supporters.

19 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The Churches aren't closed already? WTF. 

Texans you have to help yourselves. Please.

Whitley is not fucking around. I'm sure it was specifically at churches that he issued the order. The Dioceses around the country have been ahead of the curve. It's the Kenneth Copelands of the county that need to be told. Whose HQ just so happens to be in Tarrant county. It's not like the evangelical Christians are unfamiliar with televangelism. My old church in Dublin shut down before Wednesday. I think I remember seeing posts from a local imam last week too that they were shutting down. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

(Chick in white shorts goes by "Crystal".)

Yeah, she does.  Take away that bitchy resting face, and...would.  Her sign says Donald Trump Cares!"  But we all know what DTC means to Crystal when ma and pa ain't around.

Just now, washparkhorn said:

If that's her mom and dad in front of her - there isn't enough booger super in the world to bend that curve. 

In college I worked with a girl we called Tootie because she did so much coke in the employee bathroom.  

31 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

They are claiming the James Carville/Mary Matalin Brand - as their stylists recommended.

DC - all fake - all the time. 

actually Carville and Matalin seem genuinely in love in person, and he was all over her like a drunken cajun.  

I've never met the Conways but yeah, they both seem very disconnected from other humans so being around one another isn't that weird to them,  Nobody's sex life between two consenting adults is anybody's business.....but yeah, if ever there was a couple who enjoyed watching their spouse bang a stranger...it's totally these two.  

If we get to the point where doctors have to make a decision on who gets a ventilator and potentially lives and who doesn’t and dies, I sincerely hope that they check patient’s social media accounts and factor that into their decision. If you’ve been tweeting about this being a hoax or liking Dotard’s speeches about this being an overblown flu, maybe you should move to the back of the ventilator line.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If we get to the point where doctors have to make a decision on who gets a ventilator and potentially lives and who doesn’t and dies, I sincerely hope that they check patient’s social media accounts and factor that into their decision. If you’ve been tweeting about this being a hoax or liking Dotard’s speeches about this being an overblown flu, maybe you should move to the back of the ventilator line.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the Hippocratic oath.

What I do think will be interesting is of we do reach that scenario and it comes down to choosing between an older person with comorbidities and insurance and a younger healthy person without insurance.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk