CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I'll take back everything I said about quinine and azith a couple of days ago. Is it the combination of the two that causes problems or is it one of them? 

It's the combination that is potentially problematic. Each can increase QTc individually.  With drug interactions, sometimes 1+1 does not always equal 2.  Sometimes it equals 4. Young healthy person, probably won't notice.  Old, frail elderly person with underlying cardiac problems?  Maybe different story.  The more global point being that we don't need the clown in chief trumpeting medical advice during this time from twitter. The health care system is already stressed. Let the healthcare professionals run point and shut the fuck up.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

It's the combination that is potentially problematic. Each can increase QTc individually.  With drug interactions, sometimes 1+1 does not always equal 2.  Sometimes it equals 4. Young healthy person, probably won't notice.  Old, frail elderly person with underlying cardiac problems?  Maybe different story.  The more global point being that we don't need the clown in chief trumpeting medical advice during this time from twitter. The health care system is already stressed. Let the healthcare professionals run point and shut the fuck up.    

Is it a fair statement to say the azith is prescribed to fight associated bacterial pneumonia?

Is there any potential value in just prescribing the anti-viral so as to attack what I assume is a more common viral pneumonia?

27 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I do believe we are about to find out in short order that these meds make a real difference.  Just my opinion, would hate to be wrong. 

100% on the same page.  I will acknowledge that my optimism is based on a "we're fucked in the near term if we can flush something out quickly" perspective. I want to believe. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Is it a fair statement to say the azith is prescribed to fight associated bacterial pneumonia?

Is there any potential value in just prescribing the anti-viral so as to attack what I assume is a more common viral pneumonia?

Azithromycin appears to promote some immune functions that have anti-viral effects

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

According to docs I’ve spoken to, the combination of an antiviral and antibiotic makes the antiviral more effective.  Essentially, antibiotic fights off any opportunistic bacteria that would take advantage of a stressed immune system.  That allows the immune system to focus on battling the virus.  

6 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

According to docs I’ve spoken to, the combination of an antiviral and antibiotic makes the antiviral more effective.  Essentially, antibiotic fights off any opportunistic bacteria that would take advantage of a stressed immune system.  That allows the immune system to focus on battling the virus.  

OK . . . any indication that there would be no value in the anti-viral alone for those patients with underlying heart issues that might be exacerbated by the combo treatment?

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK . . . any indication that there would be no value in the anti-viral alone for those patients with underlying heart issues that might be exacerbated by the combo treatment?

There are already various cocktail combinations being used in other countries with a head start on us.  That should allow for individual tailoring going forward.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

JFC, this.  No one needs to watch this bullshit.  It's propaganda and buffoonery.  

What? And miss ‘Pass the collection plate’ Pence? No wai.

We’ve been playing a different game than bingo. ‘Guess What Ben and Tony Are Thinking.”

I am understanding why many foreign officials were passing out, during their addresses I’ve seen on video. Someone should give Dr Fauci a chair.  

Re: meds. So since I am allergic to certain antibiotics I am probably going to see y’all on the other side. 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd defer to somebody who knows the ID aspects far better than I. I will say that the one study of H monotherapy vs. H+A has some significant limitations and people (aka the president) need to slow down until we get a good study.  

So, I saw some government projections for here in the Czech Republic this morning and it made me really worried about the US.  We currently have just under a 1,000 confirmed cases and have been under nationwide quarantine since we were under 50 cases. ...with easy access to testing mind you.  In other words they took it very seriously and implemented a strong response.

• full quarantine
  • requirement to have nose and mouth covered anytime you are outside
  • borders closed
  • special hours for older people to shop
  • 92+% approval of government actions...aka near full compliance
  • etc.

Even so, the government expects the number to top out at around 15,000 cases which is about 0.15% of the population. 

Those numbers extrapolated on the US population...would be over 450,000 cases with 4,500 dead (assuming 1% fatality rate).  And that's with a near perfect response.

Based on the total lack of urgency in the US...politicians and citizens...I can only imagine what those numbers will actually look like. 

I'm legitimately scared for my family and friends in the US.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Trump is a moron, and he will be out in November.  

Let's talk about the real sleezeballs here, all the Congresspeople who were briefed on what the hell was going on and them dumped stock.  That is insider trading, and is illegal.  They should be doing time like Martha Stewart did.

I would like to see some balls on the Ethics committees of our branches of govt, and I would like to see some strict fucking rules.  If you are an member of Congress, you cannot hold ANY stock in any company except through a 401K type instrument tied to the general health of the overall market (i.e. a general fund) with long term growth as its goal.  We have those in most 401Ks, a general growth fund tied to the anticipated year you turn 65.  Already over 65?  Then you get money market or bond funds.  Don't like those rules, don't be in Congress.

Some gal writing in The Atlantic proposed this.  Nothing but mutual funds and ETFs, no trading in individual names at all.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The study that is really driving the H+A thing was a comparison between H monotherapy and the combo.  Both performed better than control, there was a separation between the combo tx and monotherapy at day 3.  That is what has people excited.  But the N is 6, and there were some baseline differences among those 6 compared to the mono group that are not controlled for. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0924857920300996

Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA-24-102

Here is a discussion about it by people who should actually be tweeting about these things:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Again, why the hell are we concerned with cruise ship companies that incorporate offshore?

flagged overseas, built overseas, and staffed overseas.  fuck em.  the boats will still be there when this is all over, assuming anyone wants to go on a cruise ever again. 

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

$2T is just unfathomable.

According to Trump we got rid of the pandemic team because he wants to save money and not have people sitting around that are not needed. Maybe more test would have been done earlier if they were around. Maybe different strategies other then lets follow China's lead and shut it all down may have been available for consideration. Who knows but it would not be far fetched to say we did not save any money.

Edited by DanTheHorn

Was very discouraged to hear several people recently that have been relatively neutral politically say that they think Trump has been doing a good job. It’s unbelievable how his propaganda works on so many people.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk