Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Because that’s how you become undraftable. By not meeting a requirement. Not draftable means not drafted which means no negotiations or offers, so no chance of being swayed by money and changing his mind. 

Something Josh Bell would have done if he had been as serious about playing college baseball as FJLA thought he was.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/91648-Josh-Bell/page2

• Like 1

Haha.

NORMAN, Okla. — Sooner center fielder and presumptive quarterback favorite Kyler Murray left Thursday’s Big 12 Tournament game against Texas in the first inning with an apparent left hamstring injury. He stole second base, popped up awkwardly out of it, and then didn’t even attempt to go to third on third baseman Brylie Ware’s ground ball up the middle, sending a deep gasp around Sooner Nation.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Kyler-Murray-injures-hamstring-in-Oklahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-baseball-game-at-Big-12-Tournament-118498792

6 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Haha.

NORMAN, Okla. — Sooner center fielder and presumptive quarterback favorite Kyler Murray left Thursday’s Big 12 Tournament game against Texas in the first inning with an apparent left hamstring injury. He stole second base, popped up awkwardly out of it, and then didn’t even attempt to go to third on third baseman Brylie Ware’s ground ball up the middle, sending a deep gasp around Sooner Nation.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Kyler-Murray-injures-hamstring-in-Oklahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-baseball-game-at-Big-12-Tournament-118498792

Would even a moderate hamstring injury push him one way or another? Seems to me that would potentially scare away some mlb scouts.

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Would even a moderate hamstring injury push him one way or another? Seems to me that would potentially scare away some mlb scouts.

Why?  No MLB is expecting him to help this year or even next...... I don't really think it has any impact on status, either way.  May simply limit his PA's vs better pitching if his season is shorted.

If anything an injury will remind him/his family that a guaranteed mlb draft payday beats trying to convince the NFL to allow midgets in. I'm just not sure he is a top 5 round take. Jimmy Rollins was around the same height but Jimmy's talent was beyond anything Murray has ever flashed and Jimmy did not throw like a bitch.

23 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I would think it may cause him to think a bit harder on taking the potential earnings from the MLB, as opposed to being injured for free in football this fall...

Based off of what I've heard, don't expect him to get an offer high enough to leave, unless a team comes out of nowhere or he comes down off his number some. There's a gap between the number he wants to forego football and the MLB consensus number. A couple of teams have an opportunity to underslot their first pick and overslot for Kyler, and those are probably the ones to watch for.

He's an idiot for passing this up again and waiting another year to start his career. 

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

He's just not a good enough baseball player to get the dollars he wants, fb is not going to scare mlb if he had the talent but he has major work to do in baseball and his leverage is minimal with his age.

I've been wondering when someone would just point out that he's not that great of a baseball player.  He may have the potential to be great.  Maybe some scouts think so.  But he's not even a top ten prospect in the Big 12.

People at Tech thought Pat Mahomes would have to make a similar decision.  Then we saw him play baseball against major college competition and realized that his baseball ability picked football for him.  Kyler is a better baseball player than Mahomes, but I think we tend to overrate a player we've heard of versus one that may have better baseball skills that we don't know

43 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I've been wondering when someone would just point out that he's not that great of a baseball player.  He may have the potential to be great.  Maybe some scouts think so.  But he's not even a top ten prospect in the Big 12.

People at Tech thought Pat Mahomes would have to make a similar decision.  Then we saw him play baseball against major college competition and realized that his baseball ability picked football for him.  Kyler is a better baseball player than Mahomes, but I think we tend to overrate a player we've heard of versus one that may have better baseball skills that we don't know

Baseball is a whole different ballgame.  'Scuse the pun. Most prospects are in the farm system for 4-6 years before being called up so it changes how you draft.  Since there's 40 rounds to the MLB draft, and the avg pick is not expected to be MLB  ready for 4-6 years, they have a lot of leeway to draft on potential.   All that said, since it takes time to develop they draft often on where they think a person will be in a few years. Maybe in the first round they expect to see more out of them sooner than 4 years.  So in Murray's case, he had a pretty dismal .122 batting average last year  but in 2018 he's up to .296 and has shown power too.  So project his improvements over the next 2-4 years to go along with his undeniable athleticism and that's not getting into his fielding. I dont envy the jobs of a baseball scout though.

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

🙄

Come on, man.

Keith Law has him ranked #36 in the draft.  BA has him ranked #77.

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

So he may have great potential, and maybe even some scouts believe he has high potential, but he's not even a top ten Big 12 prospect according to...? 

Kyler Murray was the best athlete in the 2015 Draft, and he would have landed first-round money had he not opted out due to his desire play two sports at Texas A&M because he was the nation's top-rated dual-threat quarterback prospect. Draft-eligible again but poised to succeed Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma (where he tranferred in '16), Murray remains a tantalizing talent -- but one whom teams thought it would be nearly impossible to get him to commit to baseball.

Think again.

On the night before the Draft, word began to circulate within the industry that for the right price, Murray would agree to focus on baseball after playing football this fall for the Sooners. If true, he could command a bonus of $3 million or more.

Other teams believe that the Reds (whose first two picks are at Nos. 5 and 48) and the Padres (whose top two selections are at Nos. 7 and 38) are the leading contenders to cut a discount deal in the first round so they can splurge on Murray with their second choice. Officials with both Cincinnati and San Diego denied that's the case.

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-2018-mlb-draft-news-from-callis-mayo/c-277888816

Wow. During one of their games the commentator was comparing him to the other OU outfielder who was projected to be taken high and they said the other guy had close to 1000 ABs between college and summer leagues and Murray had less than 300 at that point. So basically very raw but per the commentator big upside. Looks like the A’s agree

This was this morning from Callis.....

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-2018-mlb-draft-news-from-callis-mayo/c-277888816?tid=167757330

Think again.

On the night before the Draft, word began to circulate within the industry that for the right price, Murray would agree to focus on baseball after playing football this fall for the Sooners. If true, he could command a bonus of $3 million or more.

He was still projected in the 2nd or as a sandwich pick but that crazy Billy Beane.....

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Well then the A’s are idiots. 

They aren't going to risk a $4.8 million dollar investment by letting him play football.  He can choose not to sign if he wants to pass on that money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fud said:

So he may have great potential, and maybe even some scouts believe he has high potential, but he's not even a top ten Big 12 prospect according to...? 

someone obviously hacked my surlyhorns account

But really, the A's are taking a huge risk.  But they always seem to pick talent pretty well, so we'll see.  I just think that the hype made his value higher.  He seems like a pretty good kid and I would not be upset if he proves me wrong.