2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am using a vacation day for November 4. No matter the outcome, I will be drinking heavily. 

17 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Me too.

Me three. I've already put it on the shared work calendar as a "vacation" day.

Mail in voting in CA. Against my better judgment, I'm going straight D this time. Screw Trump and ALL his enablers.

My wife will vote Biden, but won't care about down ballot. I'll fill those in for her.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You're a bartender, Ted, and should know the calendar. Election Day is November 3. Get Drunk Day is November 4.

He’s on the Love Boat though so he has to vote before all the olds jump on his cruise ship for a month vacay. 

5 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

In Texas, this only works for early voting. On Election Day you have to vote at your precinct voting location. Not sure about rules in other states. 

Perhaps sports should go on a hiatus for several days before Election Day for this very purpose. 

Counties that are part of the "Countywide Polling Place Program" in Texas allow you to vote at any polling place in your county.  Here is the list from the July 2020 runoff election:

https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/laws/countywide-polling-place-program.shtml

I count 72 counties on that list, including most of the highly populated counties.

Edited by Texas Jeff

16 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

For those of you that need a reason to stay motivated:

Trump has just passed Biden on my book and is now the favorite. Biden was -190 just a few weeks ago.

That’s just dumb but then again there are a lot of fucking dumb trumpkins who only digest Fox News all day and think all the polls are “fake news.” 

We just got our second dotard yard sign on our street, so fuck it; I went and ordered a couple of Biden / Harris signs.  Going to put one up in my yard and another at the entrance to the subdivision.  I know the second will be taken down (hell, both of them probably will) post haste, but it makes me feel better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ok, flame away; but who the fuck is Jim Gaffigan?

Stand-up comedian who's best know for his "clean" humor. Never cusses. Jokes are usually about family kind of stuff. He is funny though.

Edited by bolverk
Also, he's a devout Catholic with multiple kids.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

Bolverk summed it up well. He hasn't been very political before last night. 

I guess that explains why his use of an f-bomb was so significant.  I was genuinely wondering what all the fuss was about but it makes sense now.  I'll check out some of hist shit stuff sometime when I'm sober.  Might be a few weeks.

Thanks to both; I'm always looking for good comedians even though I typically fall more towards the old school "Def Comedy Jam" / BET's "Comic View" types.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess that explains why his use of an f-bomb was so significant.  I was genuinely wondering what all the fuss was about but it makes sense now.  I'll check out some of hist shit stuff sometime when I'm sober.  Might be a few weeks.

Thanks to both; I'm always looking for good comedians even though I typically fall more towards the old school "Def Comedy Jam" / BET's "Comic View" types.

he's pretty fucking funny.  his standups are hilarious, but there are a bunch of them, so ymmv.

this is probably his most famous bit:

he also had his own show for a couple of seasons.  it was ok.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

No. The media needs a horse race to keep up interests and profits. Its all bullshit.

Trump is losing badly and everyone knows it. There is literally nothing he can do to change that either. The country is in the toilet and only his dipshit supporters don’t care because they got theirs and fuck everyone else.

The problem is his supporters alone cant win an election so trump will try to steal it. The problem with that is he is so fucking incompetent and stupid and fucks everything up just like he’s fucked up this country and everything else he touched in the past. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There’s still 2 good categories for Biden that Trump hasn’t reversed and probably won’t.

Trump won independents last time. He should lose them by 5 points this time.  Trump also won the “ voters who hate both Hilary and trump” vote by about 20-30 points last time. He’s losing that category right now too. Biden is also doing better with the olds then Clinton ever did.

Biden has some leeway with his huge national margin too.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Like 1

Not according to this (you have to watch the video):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/opinion/2020-election-prediction-allan-lichtman.html

Really wish people would stop saying this is going to be a blowout or massacre.  It’s not.  It’s very very possible Trump wins again, and I’ve been leaning that way for the last week or so actually. 

BIden is going to do traditional campaigning after Labor Day, so let’s see polls then. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Neither one really got the traditional post-convention bump, probably because in part---there were no traditional conventions.  

Also, how did Gaffigan get painted as this comedian who never swears like Jeff Foxworthy who actually doesn't swear?  Jim swears all the fucking time.  Overall, yeah he's a very clean comedian by today standards but listen to him on XM radio or comedy channel.  He swears a few times per set.  That said, his twitter rant was fucking fantastic.  Gaffigan has previously been sort of "cast out" from the cool comics club.  They saw that "audience voice" thing he does throughout his set as gimmicky and only slight less bad than "Get 'er done" or "Now, dat's funny right 'der."  But he did pay his road dues, 30 years before he got offered a show, and even then it was online or some shit.  Not like he skated by on his good looks or badboy persona.  But the past few days, comics are coming out of the woodwork to say how awesome he is and glad he's taking a stand and all that.  /rant 

As stated above, I think the media suddenly freaked out and realized there wouldn't be much drama in their election reporting.  So it pivoted to mail-in ballots, etc.  Now it's back to "race is tightening up."  That'll be the narrative for a few weeks, along with the Kenosha shitshow.  I think the next Covid-19 flareup which is about ~3 weeks away will then take over the news for a few weeks.  And then October will be relatively quiet (compared to now anyways), and the narrative will tilt to Trump's "Two Week Promises" to fix everything, but only if you support him.  He and Miller are going to dump this incredible panacea agenda in front of America and promise to deliver it when re-elected.  He's been saying, and will continue to say for the near term, that Biden's America will be this horrifying place of disarray and death.  When people finally stop and think, "Oh shit, is that going on right now?"....that message will lose its luster.  So he'll then pivot to how great a Trump America will be if elected.  That's it, that's his third act.  

Really wish people would stop saying this is going to be a blowout or massacre.  It’s not.  It’s very very possible Trump wins again, and I’ve been leaning that way for the last week or so actually. 
BIden is going to do traditional campaigning after Labor Day, so let’s see polls then. 

Many Democratic posters on surly constantly insist that there are few if any independent voters that can truly be swayed to vote for Biden or Trump by now. They even get angry if you imply it’s possible.

They claim that almost all Independent voters have already made up their minds and that anyone in the Independent group still considering to vote for Trump were never going to vote for Biden anyway.

The argument is that Trump and the Republicans are so bad that anyone still pondering Trump is just a complete idiot, and just a Republican hiding as an Independent.

I agree with the Democrats that there is more than enough evidence that Trump is terrible. I also agree that the Independents still theoretically on the fence aren’t the smartest of voters.

Where I differ in viewpoint is that I believe the Democrat argument is way too simplistic. There are many, many factors that cause a person to cast a vote for someone or not. We’ve seen in elections throughout history that campaign messaging, influential voters, advertising, etc. changes people’s minds, even late in a campaign. The entire multi-billion dollar advertising industry is based upon this premise.

Where I also differ with Democrats is their belief that their offering is so superior to Trump and the Republicans in every way that anyone not already automatically decided for Biden will never vote Biden.

This is where the Democratic Party lack of self awareness hurts. Without getting into details of the Party’s policies, there are some legitimate questions about some of those policies that do frighten independents. Many times it’s because they don’t truly understand the policies. They just hear buzzwords like Defund the Police and assume the worst.

They aren’t educated voters, but they can still be won over. It’s not too late. Everyone should be fighting to the last hour to sway friends, colleagues, etc. to think hard about voting Biden. I believe this election, like many others in the past, will be decided by the Independents and that the die is not yet cast. I know this is an unpopular viewpoint on Surly, but if people just want to assume the race is done, then fine have fun watching at 3 in the morning like in 2016 where the unthinkable happened.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Many Democratic posters on surly constantly insist that there are few if any independent voters that can truly be swayed to vote for Biden or Trump by now. They even get angry if you imply it’s possible.

They claim that almost all Independent voters have already made up their minds and that anyone in the Independent group still considering to vote for Trump were never going to vote for Biden anyway.

The argument is that Trump and the Republicans are so bad that anyone still pondering Trump is just a complete idiot, and just a Republican hiding as an Independent.

I agree with the Democrats that there is more than enough evidence that Trump is terrible. I also agree that the Independents still theoretically on the fence aren’t the smartest of voters.

Where I differ in viewpoint is that I believe the Democrat argument is way too simplistic. There are many, many factors that cause a person to cast a vote for someone or not. We’ve seen in elections throughout history that campaign messaging, influential voters, advertising, etc. changes people’s minds, even late in a campaign. The entire multi-billion dollar advertising industry is based upon this premise.

Where I also differ with Democrats is their belief that their offering is so superior to Trump and the Republicans in every way that anyone not already automatically decided for Biden will never vote Biden.

This is where the Democratic Party lack of self awareness hurts. Without getting into details of the Party’s policies, there are some legitimate questions about some of those policies that do frighten independents. Many times it’s because they don’t truly understand the policies. They just hear buzzwords like Defund the Police and assume the worst.

They aren’t educated voters, but they can still be won over. It’s not too late. Everyone should be fighting to the last hour to sway friends, colleagues, etc. to think hard about voting Biden. I believe this election, like many others in the past, will be decided by the Independents and that the die is not yet cast. I know this is an unpopular viewpoint on Surly, but if people just want to assume the race is done, then fine have fun watching at 3 in the morning like in 2016 where the unthinkable happened.

3am? It was over when Ohio went for Trump. I went to take a shower and came back to find out it was done and sure enough it was. 

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Agree with the first point, but disagree with the second.  The Dems are offering a ticket that believes in the law and the constitution.  The Republicans are not.  The Republicans are offering a ticket that is so fundamentally at undercutting our laws and so adamantly shameless at lying that voting for that ticket is simply a non-starter.  Period.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The other party doesn’t have a platform. Policies? GOP stands for nothing but owning libs. 

I also hate how everyone ignores 2018 and special elections. In April of this year Wisconsin elected a dem to the state Supreme Court - despite closing about 175 polling locations in their biggest city, and forcing in person voting in a pandemic. Look, I get it - ignore the polls. But this pandemic is devastating. My parents can’t see their grandkids. Kids can’t go to school. People are dying in the streets. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Agree with the first point, but disagree with the second.  The Dems are offering a ticket that believes in the law and the constitution.  The Republicans are not.  The Republicans are offering a ticket that is so fundamentally at undercutting our laws and so adamantly shameless at lying that voting for that ticket is simply a non-starter.  Period.

True but this requires a pretty educated voter to understand that. It’s much easier for the low educated voter to understand the simple concept of supporting your police department or not.

The low educated voters are being swayed by simplistic (and false) messaging and more needs to be done to tear down that messaging so that lower educated voters realize they are getting duped.

If Trump wins, it will send a pretty clear message that’s the majority of Americans don’t give a shit about truth, science, equality, rule of law as long as their team is winning. All of which will further erode the foundations of democracy, not just in America, but around the globe. It will expose the flaw of democracy, that people having the power is bad if the majority of the people are fucking idiots. 

The good news is I’m getting older, and hopefully will die before Rome falls 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

If Trump wins, it will send a pretty clear message that’s the majority of Americans don’t give a shit about truth, science, equality, rule of law as long as their team is winning. All of which will further erode the foundations of democracy, not just in America, but around the globe. It will expose the flaw of democracy, that people having the power is bad if the majority of the people are fucking idiots. 
The good news is I’m getting older, and hopefully will die before Rome falls 

That’s the cynical view that I often also fall into believing as well, but then when I talk with specific people that are truly independent and haven’t decided and hear their views, I realize a lot of them just aren’t educated voters. It’s extremely difficult to change them because they’ve been hammered over and over with law and order, god, country, etc.

And then there are others that fully understand what’s going on and because of their own selfishness they don’t care. Those are probably never flippable.

I think there’s a ton of independents out there that just don’t follow it nearly as closely as those of us who regularly read the politics forum on a UT, sports-oriented message board.  If they don’t live in a protesting city, their lives have continued on normally outside of Covid and likely just assume all the flutter over Trump is ‘just politics’.  

Well under Obama it was mostly just politics...tan suits, mustard on burgers, obamaphone, even a lot of the attacks of the healthcare proposal.  

I don’t think a lot of these independents pay enough attention to realize just how many laws have been broken, efforts underway to limit voting, damage to NATO, pandering to repressive regimes, appointment of terribly under qualified candidates to key positions, active limitations to freedom of speech, thinly veiled racism, undermining of health commissions during a pandemic, dozens of lies each public appearance, embracing QAnon, blocking legislation, etc...the list just goes but I bet tens of millions are either dismissive of bothering to learn the issues or feel politics is in a normal state of affairs right now.  It’s sad, and scary.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1