2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:
30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
even mandatory doesn't mean mandatory as I don't believe they ever force someone to leave.  Staying on galveston and especially bolivar makes no sense. Weren't they still finding bodies from Bolivar residents a few years after Ike?

I've always thought mandatory means that when shit gets real, they won't come and save you with fire or police.

Doesn't stop people from calling 911 when the shit hits the fan. That happened with Harvey.

4 minutes ago, twosheds said:

keep trying.  Tyler or Longview will be full in short order.  why people would go north is beyond me.  we don't have the infrastructure necessary to support sudden influxes of people in east Texas.  

Yeah, as unappealing as it sounds, safer bet would to head towards Aggieville or Waco. With the projected path after it moves onshore, heading NE makes little sense to me. 

We rebuilt our house on Bolivar with insurance money.  After fighting with the flood over wind and wind over flood for months and months.  We pay for the insurance, why not use it.

And if the new house gets knocked down, well, thats going to be one hellllll of a storm.

Yeah it’s almost certainly headed to Beaumont area. The models are almost in perfect agreement. UKmet is outlier to the west showing Houston getting blasted. Couple other less reliable models also showing west movement

All that being said - the TX/LA border is only 60ish miles from Galveston, very much within the error range. And obviously Beaumont is even closer

3 minutes ago, huge said:

We rebuilt our house on Bolivar with insurance money.  After fighting with the flood over wind and wind over flood for months and months.  We pay for the insurance, why not use it.

And if the new house gets knocked down, well, thats going to be one hellllll of a storm.

tenor.gif?itemid=13825333

3 minutes ago, huge said:

Yeah, the new construction down there is far ahead of the decades-old places that got nuked by Ike. Most new houses are on at least 12 foot pilings. 

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

An Interstate 10 warning

I finished a trip at 10pm last night at IAH and thought I could drive 85 all the way to the hill country. Everything is proper fucked west of Brookshire for thousands of miles due to construction. Try another direction.

If I’m going west from Sugar Land, I usually take 90A all the way to Eagle Lake and then cut up to Columbus. I try to completely avoid Austin County. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I made one last run to A couple of stores this morning. Lowe’s for an AC and H-E-B for final groceries and wine for the wife. I’m hoping the purchase of an AC is enough to cause Laura to shift back to the East, but at least I have it if she doesn’t. H-E-B was starting to get a little crazy. I’m sure by tonight it will be a full on disaster.

6 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

If I’m going west from Sugar Land, I usually take 90A all the way to Eagle Lake and then cut up to Columbus. I try to completely avoid Austin County. 

Yep.  Plus, you get to stop at Vinceks in East Bernard and pick up some barbecue, bacon, and hocks for a kickass pot of beans.  They also have some homemade dried egg noodles for sale sometimes that are fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

An Interstate 10 warning

I finished a trip at 10pm last night at IAH and thought I could drive 85 all the way to the hill country. Everything is proper fucked west of Brookshire for thousands of miles due to construction. Try another direction.

but there's a Buc-ee's you can stop at before you hit the construction!!!1!1

54 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

anyone with golden triangle / swamp people thinking of heading west...

10, 90 and 105 are all trending to screwed.  96 north to jasper is the bomb, then re-assess.

lufkin and nac would be my first targets for hotels.

40 minutes ago, twosheds said:

keep trying.  Tyler or Longview will be full in short order.  why people would go north is beyond me.  we don't have the infrastructure necessary to support sudden influxes of people in east Texas.  

I would not be heading north at this point, especially not to Lufkin, which is still pretty close to Beaumont. This bitch is going to hit land and head northeast, going in around the same place Rita did, and if Laura also comes in strong a bunch of people up the TX/LA border are going to lose power and get stuck there. All those felled pine trees are going to block the roads and it'll be a mess. I'm sure traffic is awful but heading west and inland is the best bet at this point.

4 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I would not be heading north at this point, especially not to Lufkin, which is still pretty close to Beaumont. This bitch is going to hit land and head northeast, going in around the same place Rita did, and if Laura also comes in strong a bunch of people up the TX/LA border are going to lose power and get stuck there. All those felled pine trees are going to block the roads and it'll be a mess. I'm sure traffic is awful but heading west and inland is the best bet at this point.

I agree with you on this.  If my son wasn't already with his grandparents, I would be heading west.  Since he's up there, we need to go get him.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, austingirl said:

If it comes in like Rita did and moves northeast after landfall (as they often tend to do), Tyler will be on the clean side.  We got some high winds and a bit of rain from Rita, but nothing catastrophic.  Definitely didn't lose power.  Main problem was the traffic getting here since so many people evacuated Houston (having just watched what happened in N.O. during Katrina).  Both 45 and 59 north were jammed even with contraflow.  My mom and sister spent 19 hours in the car driving from the Memorial area in Houston to Tyler.  They took 45 and it was slow going until they turned off in Buffalo.

Edited by dcbc

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Plus, you get to stop at Vinceks in East Bernard and pick up some barbecue, bacon, and hocks for a kickass pot of beans.  They also have some homemade dried egg noodles for sale sometimes that are fantastic.

Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

If it comes in like Rita did and moves northeast after landfall (as they often tend to do), Tyler will be on the clean side.  We got some high winds and a bit of rain from Rita, but nothing catastrophic.  Definitely didn't lose power.  Main problem was the traffic getting here since so many people evacuated Houston (having just watched what happened in N.O. during Katrina).  Both 45 and 59 north were jammed even with contraflow.  My mom and sister spent 19 hours in the car driving from the Memorial area in Houston to Tyler.  They took 45 and it was slow going until they turned off in Buffalo.

I was living in Tyler when it it. My roommate was from Woodville and his parents evacuated to our place. They were not able to find a room at all in Tyler. 

6 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I was living in Tyler when it it. My roommate was from Woodville and his parents evacuated to our place. They were not able to find a room at all in Tyler. 

It's grown a bit since then.  There's a common law Hilton and some other newer hotels on the ground now. 

I only mention it because it's got the advantage of being farther north and east than Lufkin/Nac as far as high wind avoidance goes given the current expected storm track. 

One downside of Rita is that a lot fewer Houstonians were too eager to evacuate after the nightmarish traffic and the fact that the storm missed Houston.  My family rode out Ike and Harvey (the flood side of it).  Finally got mom moved into assisted living up here.  So now I only have to try to convince my sister to bounce.

Edited by dcbc

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
22 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:
Days like today I am glad I live in Iraq, I mean Lubbock.

People in Iraq are glad they don't live in Lubbock.

My brother was in the Marines and went to Kuwait somewhere along the way and said he could have just stayed in Andrews and had the same experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My wife gets food from there often. Her warehouse is two miles from East Bernard on 90. Vinceks fried catfish Friday’s are awesome.