2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

6 minutes ago, Smax said:
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:
I dunno guys, I've been checking out a lot of spaghetti models pages, and I just can't get a good read on things:
Caroline-Vreeland.jpg
93c4e738f61153a23731272084d5b99f.jpg
a7d3e24bc3e8d87a528f2d9d48cd1a13.jpg
e92cc88418c24d948f8f344731f2ac8f5f63214c.jpg

I mean....NONE of those scream "Beaumont" to me.

#2 kind of says Beaumont

If she had a cigarette in her hand as she ate, she'd say Port Arthur.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Oh, I dunno, power might go out? Risk for last minute evacuation? Potential to have to take in friends/family causing disruption in the home...where the kids have to be able to focus on online instruction?

Shit, the teachers themselves may not live in the district and would typically commute from places closer to the current path and might also have to evacuate or lose power. 

There's a number of good reasons just off the top of my head.

Stop making sense 

22 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Oh, I dunno, power might go out? Risk for last minute evacuation? Potential to have to take in friends/family causing disruption in the home...where the kids have to be able to focus on online instruction?

Shit, the teachers themselves may not live in the district and would typically commute from places closer to the current path and might also have to evacuate or lose power. 

There's a number of good reasons just off the top of my head.

Take that shit to the C.......nvmd.

Back in, didn't really care about Marco (got the name wrong a few times), knew the shear would mess it up.  Said the other day that Laura would be the big one.  And it is.

Some dry air being pulled in right now in Laura's SW quadrant, inhibiting development.  But Laura is going to get bad, could hit Rita proportions.  Not a good setup.  Will do major damabe in Galveston or places with people.  

Track has moved a bit west last 24 as has been said here, but hopefully fwd speed will shoot this thing off quickly making minimal damage.

Laura will get a retirement namewise I think.

So why isn't Laura being sheared up like Marco, they're in the same general area.  Answer:  weather is dynamic; a ridge pushing mid-level air into Marco has broken down and Laura now has calm skies to plow through unhindered.  The situation you don't want.

Not much else to say since everyone's chiming in here.  We'll see.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I dont understand why I10 from Houston to SA isn't just six lanes each way. The ROW is there and its straight as an arrow. 

That’s what the construction between Brookshire and Sealy is. They have to widen a few bridges so it will take a while.

Edit: not 6 lanes each way but they are at least adding one each way.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Left Beaumont at 1030, approaching Austin now. Traffic wasn't even heavy. On 290 and its light.

My stepbrother/SIL, Mom, Dad, Stepmom all stayed. My dad is actually more scared of getting covid than enduring the coming shitstorm.

I urged them all to leave. This morning I called my only sibling and told her that they have free will and resources so i don't have guilt in leaving. Plus ya know, im still 25 days after a bad case of Covid and am still healing. Plus I'm out of PTO at work due to the illness and my job is remote, so I need to work. Staying with friends in Leander.

Be safe bud.  I brought my computer to work remotely but doubtful I’ll get much done in a hotel room with a 7 and 2 year old.  About to go drop my dog off at a boarding facility for the next 3 days.  She’s going to hate me

Just hope my house isn’t pierced with 2x4s from the 2 new builds going up across the street when I get back.

Mom and Dad are planning on riding it out in Fannett, old people are stubborn 

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Back in, didn't really care about Marco (got the name wrong a few times), knew the shear would mess it up.  Said the other day that Laura would be the big one.  And it is.

Some dry air being pulled in right now in Laura's SW quadrant, inhibiting development.  But Laura is going to get bad, could hit Rita proportions.  Not a good setup.  Will do major damabe in Galveston or places with people.  

Track has moved a bit west last 24 as has been said here, but hopefully fwd speed will shoot this thing off quickly making minimal damage.

So why isn't Laura being sheared up like Marco, they're in the same general area.  Answer:  weather is dynamic; a ridge pushing mid-level air into Marco has broken down and Laura now has calm skies to plow through unhindered.  The situation you don't want.

I feel like i just heard this exact same explanation from the aggy weatherman on abc13 just 2 minutes ago. Are you the aggy weatherman in real life?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

When is Laura expected to hit?

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Many of you are discounting the 2020 factor. Take a given situation, add a ton of liquid feces, then set it on fire as it reaches its worst possible iteration. 
Taking that into account, my prediction is the entirety of the state ends up under water and we all have to move to Oklahoma. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Duke Silver said:

I live in Columbus.  I-10 traffic on a normal day due to construction is ridiculous.  Came out of Houston on 90-A through East Bernard and Eagle Lake this afternoon and there is already a decent amount of traffic on it.  Long backups at any stop signs.

Any evac on I10 west will be impossible 

6 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Latest Euro model has shifted East to the TX/LA border

Assuming this all goes as we now expect, hats off to the folks at the NHC.  So many other mets were aggressively pushing this west based on the Euro for the past couple of days, and those NHC guys didn’t really budge.  Even when a metro area of 6 million+ was potentially in the crosshairs.  Balls of steel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Assuming this all goes as we now expect, hats off to the folks at the NHC.  So many other mets were aggressively pushing this west based on the Euro for the past couple of days, and those NHC guys didn’t really budge.  Even when a metro area of 6 million+ was potentially in the crosshairs.  Balls of steel.

Yep. If this had followed the Euro today and NHC was forced to adjust to Galveston, they would have lost some serious credibility. Instead the opposite happened