Fitlump fucking won an Austin City Council seat

atomheartbevo

5 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I understand that there are more now than there were 8-10 years ago, but what good is a law if it is not enforced or only selectively enforced? It's not like if the ban is reinstated all of this is going to magically disappear. Especially when the elected leaders will not allow the Police Chief to enforce.

I support reinstating the ban, but just placing another law on the book won't fix this. Changing out the elected leaders that allow it will.

So basically, we're fucked because Austin voters are idiots.

Yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us.

8 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

The guys under the Ben White and Manchaca have upped their game over those near Strait Music.  The latter just have a big screen, the former now have a tv and pinball machine.  It's not a full sized one but still.  I don't see how they've gotten cable for either screen but with $65MM no reason we can't help them out there. 

Shelter.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

3 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Actually it takes about 12-24 hours for the Statesman to cover anything due to newsroom and operational cost cutting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

What is the best news source for local Austin?  The Texas Tribune? https://www.texastribune.org

The trib can be good. 
I read Austin Monitor for local government, Jack Craver’s https://austinpolitics.net for local politics, and a hodgepodge of good reporters on Twitter. The Chronicle does OK. Probably KVUE on television. And the statesman has good reporters who can do good work when given time, resources and space. 

The worst source is KLBJ-AM. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The trib can be good. 
I read Austin Monitor for local government, Jack Craver’s https://austinpolitics.net for local politics, and a hodgepodge of good reporters on Twitter. The Chronicle does OK. Probably KVUE on television. And the statesman has good reporters who can do good work when given time, resources and space. 
The worst source is KLBJ-AM. 

Thank you.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

Can we start paying elected leaders serious money, so that we can stop having fucking retards like fitlump represent people?

That honestly is one of the biggest problems we face.  The pay attracts the wrong kind of people and excludes lots of really good people who decide not to run on that basis.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That honestly is one of the biggest problems we face.  The pay attracts the wrong kind of people and excludes lots of really good people who decide not to run on that basis.

Yep. You wanna pay these people peanuts, don't be fucking surprised when the thing's a circus.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Nah, don’t live in an incorporated area. 
Have close family in Austin who don’t complain on the internet, so I do it for them.

unincorporated? So you leach off Austin Tax payers. Great.

Edited by Pasken
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

Austin sewage spill poisoned my entire neighborhood sickening thousands of us including my dog & cat, so tough shitski.

We have our own law enforcement, fire protection, & road maintenance and get nothing from Austin except the above.

4 hours ago, Pasken said:

Are all visitors to Austin leaches? When someone comes to town, pays for a hotel, eats in restaurants and buys stuff in stores are they a leach?

Should we close off Austin to anyone who doesn't pau property tax here?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Are all visitors to Austin leaches? When someone comes to town, pays for a hotel, eats in restaurants and buys stuff in stores are they a leach?

Should we close off Austin to anyone who doesn't pau property tax here?

That's not the same at all. Look at all the bonds that Travis County proposes. They all serve the unincporated areas because "no one else serves those areas" and yet they are financed on the backs of Austin tax payers. Tourists pay their own taxes and I don't understand how you think they are relevant at all.

5 hours ago, blacklab said:

Do any people from Austin drive on roads in the county but out of a city?

Taxpayers have to approve bonds, you city folk should gang up an vote any county stuff down to stick it to us rubes out in the country. 

Lol you mean the county roads they also pay for through county taxes???

16 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Can we start paying elected leaders serious money, so that we can stop having fucking retards like fitlump represent people?

It's hard to imagine the world where throwing more money at them is the right solution.

I mean, I totally get and agree with the notion that we are punching down selectively, but think maybe we need a more sophisticated approach to right the problem. 

10 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

wait, get the fuck out of here.  What page do i start on to get caught up.

There was this infected bat that somebody ate in something called a wet market.  Then Mackenzie Kelley heard the term "wet market" and thought that would be a good name for the donation tab on her site.  Then all the other shit in 2020 happened.  And her first Council meeting is 27 January. 

Edited by Lobo

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

It's hard to imagine the world where throwing more money at them is the right solution.

I mean, I totally get and agree with the notion that we are punching down selectively, but think maybe we need a more sophisticated approach to right the problem. 

Do you wanna know why smart, dynamic people don't do politics? Because the pay is shit and the job attracts idiots. If you make the job desirable then more people who are worth a fuck will be interested in competing for it.

Or you can maybe propose this super sophisticated approach you speak of. Whatever.