Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Clearly you're an optimist.  I knew a Trump presidency would turn out just like it has.  You don't have to be a psychic to know DJT would never work for the common good...he's way too self-centered.  It was always going to be just about him and he can NEVER be wrong about anything. 

He's a fat, boorish bully who was lucky enough to be born filthy rich.  If he'd been born poor, he'd either be in prison, dead, or a Trumpkin in rural WV

5 minutes ago, retread said:

He has very few discernible core beliefs outside of what can you do for me.

So I went back looked at some of my posts just before and after the election...

Me from 7/24/2016

“What's scary, if true, is the Russians now control the narrative to some degree by choosing what to release and not release. They could also easily fabricate documents and pass them off to wikileaks. Tragically the vast majority on forums like this would accept them as fact as long as it fits the agenda.  

Let that sink in for a moment.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=64420915&s=2&p=64420835

Me from 7/30/2016

“Hillary is 10 times better at saying the right thing in an effort create what she considers positive change. And Obama is better than Hillary on this. All politicians engage in "truthful hyperbole" (bullshitting). However, I think there is a limit of bullshitting you can get away with before you lose all credibility on everything. I know Hillary has past that point with many.  

Trump hasn't had the opportunity to break a promise yet politically but most intellectually objective/honest observers know he is a fraud/con man that cares more about winning the election than lifting a finger for Americans.”

Me from 7/20/2016

“I don't love Hillary, I never voted for Obama. But I would vote for Obama if he were running in this election. Hillary represents the continuation of the Obama administration which isn't perfect but acceptable to me. I feel like my life has been pretty good during the Obama years, I'd like that to continue will little drama: no bullshit wars, no economic collapses, little disruption. Trump brings extreme volatility and uncertainty to the table. I feel he has the potential to do waaay more harm than good despite whatever good intentions he may have. He lacks political sophistication and that can be dangerous internationally. 

I'm not afraid of Muslims or Mexican rapists in my community. If that is a problem for some Americans, I'd hope they seek solutions on a more local level and not look to a person in Washington D.C. 

I like my taxes low like anyone else. I like my guns too. I also prefer presidents that stay out of my life. As far as the Supreme Court goes, I'm socially liberal like Trump and Clinton so either way you're looking left there. 

Hope that answers your question.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=64342135&s=2&p=64341607#64342135

Me on 11/9/2016

“I'm not going to lie, waking up to President Trump is a difficult pill to swallow today. He wasn't my choice but he is now my President and I accept it. I didn't expect him to even come close to winning, I was wrong. 

However, I believe I understand why he was elected yesterday and it's not because he's some amazing candidate that will fix America's problems, make America great again, or even that Hillary was that bad of a candidate. He was chosen by the heart and soul of America, the working class people that feels our government has abandoned them. They want a president that sends a very clear and powerful message to the elites on both sides that everyday Americans can not be ignored anymore and if they are ignored, there will be consequences. I find myself oddly reassured that the American people hold this power and can exercise it when needed, like last night. 

Trump has an extraordinary opportunity as President to actually work for the American people in a way that transcends political parties and ideology. Truthfully, as our president I want him to succeed, I want America to succeed. I hope he rises above the pettiness and vindictiveness he demonstrated in his campaign. I acknowledge he said and did things he needed to get elected. I don't expect him to keep all his campaign promises and I think it's naive to expect him to.  

As Hillary said in her concession speech, we need to approach Trump with an open mind and he has earned the chance to lead. I will give him a fair shot and I know he will make mistakes, every President does but I think he is capable of accomplishing far more good than bad. 

However, my optimism is cautious. If he abuses his power at the expense of the rights and freedoms we all hold sacred (first amendment, freedom of the press), he will need to be held accountable and the people that have supported him from the beginning will need to be there to keep him in check. 

Moreover, what's unique about Trump is he really doesn't have a proven ideology. We still don't know who he really is or what he would be as the leader of the free world. This was my largest concern with him and why I couldn't vote for him. Ironically, this could prove to be his greatest strength because he can play on all sides, liberal and conservative, and work towards governing in the best interests of America. I hope he makes the most of his responsibility.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/election-2016/hugos-melt-at-the-reality-of-president-donald-trump-long/66836205/

Me on 12/9/2016

Okay, you don't see any potential danger in a significantly stronger Russia?  

Right now they aren't a significant threat because the West has been successfully containing them to a certain degree. Russia and China also try to contain the United States economic hegemony. It's basic geopolitical balance of power.  

Sure working with Russia for common interests is a good idea but let's not forget who we're dealing with. Putin is a kind of a facist thug, not the type you really want to cozy up to.”

“No surprise the majority of Western Europe wanted Hillary to win. 

My best speculation is Russia views Trump as a destabilizing force in the American political system and destabilizing your primary opposition is always preferred to congruent stability. This gives Russia some room to work on expanding their hegemony in Europe and Asia.”

Me on 12/30/2016

Well, assuming he doesn't get us in another war and other than him embarrassing us on the global stage: 

Massive incompetence in appointed positions. Creating more division among the classes, religion, and races. The mega rich will get more mega rich while the middle class pays the bill. 

The fracturing of diplomatic relationships that took decades to build. Inability to be decisive in a complex crisis or take responsibility for mistakes. Calling out people/corporations/media outlets personally by name on twitter as POTUS because someone hurt his feelings is pretty fascist. 

But yeah, it might not be that bad.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?p=67877190&sp=67880350&bkm=1&s=2&#67880350

27 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

His son and everybody around him will be indicted and he will be recommended by Mueller for an impeachment trial and a post presidential indictment. 

This is coming, with absolute certainty! Just you wait .

trump-were-doomed.jpg

I have a relative who said he voted for Trump because “he’s a real fighter who is not afraid.”

this has to be one of the worst comparisons I’ve ever heard. 

Based just on his twitter feed, if Trump was in a boxing match, the moment somebody popped him on the nose and drew a little blood, he’d be squealing like a pig and screaming at the ref to end the fight because his opponent was cheating. 

Even Jimmy Carter wasn’t a wimp like Trump is. 

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Clearly you're an optimist.  I knew a Trump presidency would turn out just like it has.  You don't have to be a psychic to know DJT would never work for the common good...he's way too self-centered.  It was always going to be just about him and he can NEVER be wrong about anything. 

He's a fat, boorish bully who was lucky enough to be born filthy rich.  If he'd been born poor, he'd either be in prison, dead, or a Trumpkin in rural WV

If Trump had been born poor in West Virginia, he'd be Boss Hogg today.

I have a relative who said he voted for Trump because “he’s a real fighter who is not afraid.”
Based just on his twitter feed, if Trump was in a boxing match, the moment somebody popped him on the nose and drew a little blood, he’d be squealing like a pig and screaming at the ref to end the fight because his opponent was cheating. 

Trump is what pathetic losers THINK a tough guy is. The guy who talks a big game in the bar, brags about what a tough guy he is, etc.

Problem is, he’s also the guy hiding in the john when the shit hits the fan, then comes out talking about how he totally WOULD have kicked ass, had he known what was happening.
  • Like 3

Trump is a blowhard. He is a corrupt narcissist, lies to protect himself, and has too many associates that have connections to Russia for it not to true that there was collusion. 

His tweets indicate that he is unhinged and unstable. He needs to go.

Trump is unpresidential in every way. As is, frankly, every single conservative voter in America. These people are a gang of ignorant, duplicitous, sociopathic bags of crap. They're all Sean Hannitys and Paul Ryans (at their very best). They elected a boiled pumpkin president.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So I went back looked at some of my posts just before and after the election...

Me from 7/24/2016

“What's scary, if true, is the Russians now control the narrative to some degree by choosing what to release and not release. They could also easily fabricate documents and pass them off to wikileaks. Tragically the vast majority on forums like this would accept them as fact as long as it fits the agenda.  

Let that sink in for a moment.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=64420915&s=2&p=64420835

Me from 7/30/2016

“Hillary is 10 times better at saying the right thing in an effort create what she considers positive change. And Obama is better than Hillary on this. All politicians engage in "truthful hyperbole" (bullshitting). However, I think there is a limit of bullshitting you can get away with before you lose all credibility on everything. I know Hillary has past that point with many.  

Trump hasn't had the opportunity to break a promise yet politically but most intellectually objective/honest observers know he is a fraud/con man that cares more about winning the election than lifting a finger for Americans.”

Me from 7/20/2016

“I don't love Hillary, I never voted for Obama. But I would vote for Obama if he were running in this election. Hillary represents the continuation of the Obama administration which isn't perfect but acceptable to me. I feel like my life has been pretty good during the Obama years, I'd like that to continue will little drama: no bullshit wars, no economic collapses, little disruption. Trump brings extreme volatility and uncertainty to the table. I feel he has the potential to do waaay more harm than good despite whatever good intentions he may have. He lacks political sophistication and that can be dangerous internationally. 

I'm not afraid of Muslims or Mexican rapists in my community. If that is a problem for some Americans, I'd hope they seek solutions on a more local level and not look to a person in Washington D.C. 

I like my taxes low like anyone else. I like my guns too. I also prefer presidents that stay out of my life. As far as the Supreme Court goes, I'm socially liberal like Trump and Clinton so either way you're looking left there. 

Hope that answers your question.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=64342135&s=2&p=64341607#64342135

Me on 11/9/2016

“I'm not going to lie, waking up to President Trump is a difficult pill to swallow today. He wasn't my choice but he is now my President and I accept it. I didn't expect him to even come close to winning, I was wrong. 

However, I believe I understand why he was elected yesterday and it's not because he's some amazing candidate that will fix America's problems, make America great again, or even that Hillary was that bad of a candidate. He was chosen by the heart and soul of America, the working class people that feels our government has abandoned them. They want a president that sends a very clear and powerful message to the elites on both sides that everyday Americans can not be ignored anymore and if they are ignored, there will be consequences. I find myself oddly reassured that the American people hold this power and can exercise it when needed, like last night. 

Trump has an extraordinary opportunity as President to actually work for the American people in a way that transcends political parties and ideology. Truthfully, as our president I want him to succeed, I want America to succeed. I hope he rises above the pettiness and vindictiveness he demonstrated in his campaign. I acknowledge he said and did things he needed to get elected. I don't expect him to keep all his campaign promises and I think it's naive to expect him to.  

As Hillary said in her concession speech, we need to approach Trump with an open mind and he has earned the chance to lead. I will give him a fair shot and I know he will make mistakes, every President does but I think he is capable of accomplishing far more good than bad. 

However, my optimism is cautious. If he abuses his power at the expense of the rights and freedoms we all hold sacred (first amendment, freedom of the press), he will need to be held accountable and the people that have supported him from the beginning will need to be there to keep him in check. 

Moreover, what's unique about Trump is he really doesn't have a proven ideology. We still don't know who he really is or what he would be as the leader of the free world. This was my largest concern with him and why I couldn't vote for him. Ironically, this could prove to be his greatest strength because he can play on all sides, liberal and conservative, and work towards governing in the best interests of America. I hope he makes the most of his responsibility.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/election-2016/hugos-melt-at-the-reality-of-president-donald-trump-long/66836205/

Me on 12/9/2016

Okay, you don't see any potential danger in a significantly stronger Russia?  

Right now they aren't a significant threat because the West has been successfully containing them to a certain degree. Russia and China also try to contain the United States economic hegemony. It's basic geopolitical balance of power.  

Sure working with Russia for common interests is a good idea but let's not forget who we're dealing with. Putin is a kind of a facist thug, not the type you really want to cozy up to.”

“No surprise the majority of Western Europe wanted Hillary to win. 

My best speculation is Russia views Trump as a destabilizing force in the American political system and destabilizing your primary opposition is always preferred to congruent stability. This gives Russia some room to work on expanding their hegemony in Europe and Asia.”

Me on 12/30/2016

Well, assuming he doesn't get us in another war and other than him embarrassing us on the global stage: 

Massive incompetence in appointed positions. Creating more division among the classes, religion, and races. The mega rich will get more mega rich while the middle class pays the bill. 

The fracturing of diplomatic relationships that took decades to build. Inability to be decisive in a complex crisis or take responsibility for mistakes. Calling out people/corporations/media outlets personally by name on twitter as POTUS because someone hurt his feelings is pretty fascist. 

But yeah, it might not be that bad.”

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?p=67877190&sp=67880350&bkm=1&s=2&#67880350

Nobody fucking cares.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Trump's border killers just murdered a 16 year old.

Yeah right, you people are about as pro life as the Nazi guards leading the red coated girl to the dumpster in Schindler's list. I mean for goodness sakes, you monsters are pro school shooting.

You've lost all your moral principles. You elected a bribe taking rapacious 1 percenter to flock leader.

Trump is a blowhard. He is a corrupt narcissist, lies to protect himself, and has too many associates that have connections to Russia for it not to true that there was collusion. 
His tweets indicate that he is unhinged and unstable. He needs to go.

So basically, Trumps an aggy.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Jimmy Carter thought too hard about shit, but I bet he could kick some ass, especially if it was only the next few presidents fighting him. 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Jimmy Carter honorably served his country in the military.  Trump cried about his bone spurs to avoid doing just that, even though he crows about what a great athlete he was in his youth.  Carter in his prime could have knocked Trump to the mat, as could most Presidents.  Hell, I'd wager FDR could give Trump some trouble.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was very willing to give him an opportunity to lead after the election but his true colors are just too dark to overcome.

I was more like the engineer that looks at a native built bamboo bridge over a 1000ft gorge and thought "there's no fucking way".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

You might want to take a quick peak on when that photo was originally taken. It has nothing to do with Trump.

* peek

Also, the buses were obtained and created for that company for use for field trips of children being housed at one of the immigration detention centers.  The link in the tweet is pretty clear about that.

Edited by scottsins

It's simple on a day like today. You honor those who have died in service to the country, you remember families that have lost loved ones, and you thank those who  served in the past and the ones who are currently serving. But no, it has to be about him. Just disgusting. 

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It's simple on a day like today. You honor those who have died in service to the country, you remember families that have lost loved ones, and you thank those who  served in the past and the ones who are currently serving. But no, it has to be about him. Just disgusting. 

I know.  Can you imagine if Republican's posted something like this in today's world?

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

When my grandpappy stormed the beaches of Normandy, he could only dream of a day when PMIs were at 57 and unemployment was sub 4%. Semper Fi

Visited there a couple of months ago, not sure if he's still living or not but either way he has my profound respect and admiration!  We likely wouldn't be having these discussions if not for those brave souls that stormed those beaches that day (and those fighting/involved in the overall effort).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Visited there a couple of months ago, not sure if he's still living or not but either way he has my profound respect and admiration!  We likely wouldn't be having these discussions if not for those brave souls that stormed those beaches that day (and those fighting/involved in the overall effort).

Yup, but now the president and the gop thinks there good Nazis, and have made them a cornerstone of their base.  Makes me sick to my stomach... 

Yes. I'm sure my cousin Manley, had he not been shot down in his bomber over Leipzig, Germany, in 1944, would be very proud of how well the economy is doing.  That's why he was fighting: to make sure the economy would be doing 74 years later. 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

Rick Wilson on the current state of affairs. 

TL:DR It's like a Groundhog Day of Infrastructure Week

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/trump-land-delusion-article-1.4010243

Trump’s land of delusion: Disregard the sycophants; the wheels are coming off, if they were ever on

Bluffers bluff, and President Trump just tried to bluff his way through one of the worst weeks of his administration.

It's not working. Donald Trump is a terrible poker player. His tells are so clumsily obvious and that we mistakenly give him credit for guile where none exists, and for some cinematic, supervillain cunning where there is only a howling, feral mass of insecurity and need.

The delta between reality and spin with Trump is always broad, and last week it was unspinnably vast. It's also been a stunning illustration of just how powerful the division between reality and fantasy has become in the two hermetic media silos that now exist in America.

For some Americans — a minority, I pray — Trump is a pied piper luring the credulous and the uninformed into accepting lies over truth, comfort over reality and conspiracy over fact. In Trump's world and that of his angry minions, the winning doesn't stop, the vast left-wing conspiracy's witch-hunt against him is both broad and insidious, and the truth is what he wants it to be on any given day.

Maintaining the Trump illusion requires an endless suspension of disbelief; denying facts, logic, reason, the law and the utterly evident cluster-you-know-what that this administration represents. The pinnacle of that illusion-at-all-costs philosophy came after the revelation that an FBI informant followed up on leads that Trump campaign foreign policy aides Carter Page and George Papadopoulos had been playing footsie with the Russians.

On Fox News, talk radio and in the Trump-right online media armies, the innocent Trump campaign was the victim of FBI spying against them, ordered by notorious Kenyan Muslim sleeper agent Barack Obama, evil sorceress Hillary Clinton and their army of Deep State apparatchiks.

The President wants you to call the FBI's Russian counterintelligence program Spygate, but rational people have declined to indulge him. Stupidgate is instead just a ludicrous new chapter in the long chronicle of Trump dumbassery.

It's only one of the many examples of Trump's behavior of which historians in the far future will look upon with the same stunned disbelief and discomfort as we now consider tulip manias, Beanie Baby investment schemes, Milli Vanilli and acid-washed jeans. There might have been a moment where those ideas were intriguing, but in the hard light of history, they're grim reminders that fads and passions are fleeting.

For the FBI actions Trump calls Spygate to be a real concern, it would require malice. Instead, we've seen justification after justification for a robust counterintelligence response to Russian malfeasance. Drawn to the Trump campaign like flies to the biggest manure pile in the universe, the FBI wasn't after him, but rather — quite properly — the Russians who sought to (and may have succeeded) in subverting American democracy and corrupting our elections.

There's a line in the 1990s film "Grosse Point Blank" where John Cusack's assassin character defends his line of work. He says, "If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there."

It couldn't have been that an FBI counterintelligence investigation against the Russians kept finding lead after lead headed straight back to Trump associates, family members, friends, business partners and his senior campaign officials, could it? It couldn't have been because Trump advisers were boasting they had the Russian goods on Hillary Clinton, that his sons were taking meetings in Trump Tower with platoons of Russians tied to Vladimir Putin, or that his attorney Michael Cohen was signing letters of intent to build a Trump Tower in Moscow, right? And there's no way it was the opinion of every American intelligence agency that the Russians were all in with a program of information warfare in support of Donald Trump. No way? Way.

The central unspinnable story of the past week is the one over which Trump feels the most pressing anxiety. Three new stories reported on Michael Cohen's latest avenues of legal jeopardy, all of which increase the risk Cohen flips on Trump to Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

First, Cohen's longtime business associate Evgeny "The Taxi King" Freidman copped a plea deal and agreed to cooperate with the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York against Cohen. This development is bad news from every angle for both Cohen and Trump.

There's not a chance in hell Freidman would have been given an easy plea deal unless he had something to provide prosecutors on Cohen, and by extension, Trump.

Freidman comes from the same Russian circles as Cohen and Trump partner Felix Sater. I know you're asking the same question I do all the time: for a President who claims to have never had anything to do with Russia, Russian business interests or Russian money, why are there so many Russians and so much Russian money tied to him?

As if that wasn't bad enough, the BBC's Paul Wood delivered another hard blow. In an impeccably sourced piece, Wood revealed this week that Cohen (along with the aforementioned Sater) worked illegally on behalf of Ukraine, adding "lobbyist" to his usual roles as the fixer for and conduit to Trump. The BBC reports that Cohen took a $400,000 to $600,000 payoff from Ukrainian interests without bothering the register under the Foreign Agents Registration Act. Oh, that Foreign Agents Registration Act. You know, the law that requires anyone doing paid work on behalf of a foreign government to register with the United States Department of Justice.

On Friday, one more piece of bad news ratcheted Cohen's stress level even higher when it was revealed that he met with Viktor Vekselberg, a Russian oligarch deeply tied to Putin, in January of 2017, just before Trump's inauguration.

The denials from Team Trump that they have anything to do with Russia, their assertions that they have no business in Russia, didn't collude with Russia, didn't coordinate with Russia, never borrowed money from Russians, didn't accept dirt on Hillary Clinton from Russia, don't know any Russians, have never met any Russians and have never heard of the country of Russia ring more hollow with every revelation.

The vise squeezing Cohen is tightening, and every day that passes increases the chances he'll turn Judas on his friend and boss. Trump knows what Cohen knows, and what Cohen knows about Trump's business dealings, finances, taxes, serial infidelities, hush money to adult film stars (and Lord knows who else) isn't pretty.

Something else happened last week, and it wasn't just bad for Trump. It was bad for the world.

Trump's diplomatic pratfall on North Korea forced a pullout from the summit he had sold as the best thing since Trump University, and came just weeks after his breathless followers demanded that the Nobel Institute give Trump the Peace Prize. They did everything but fuel up Air Force One for a trip to Oslo, believing the deal to strip North Korea of its nuclear arsenal and intercontinental ballistic missiles to be done (Trump had basically tweeted as much), with nothing left to do but raise a champagne toast in Singapore.

Almost no one in the diplomatic, military or intelligence community believed for a moment that Kim Jong Un would fulfill his promises; Kim is a con man, conning a con man. Trump never understood that he is the mark in this con game, played by Kim with a helpful assist from Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Of course, North Korea never, ever intended to give up its nuclear arsenal, to end its long history of murderous oppression of its suffering people, or in any other way give Trump a diplomatic win. Kim's bad faith was never a question to anyone but Trump. It was a certainty. Furthermore, China never intended to help Trump win a major diplomatic victory, or to unify Korea.

No, Trump fans, it's not 87-dimensional chess. There's no secret plan, no hidden strategy. Trump is a man who sees everything through the dumb lens of reality television, New York tabloid spritzing, professional wrestling kayfabe and an utterly misplaced belief that he is a master negotiator.

He's a man of notably grotesque ignorance who refuses to read even the crayon picture-book version of the President's Daily Brief, and who is contemptuous of both the intelligence community and American diplomats.

Of course the Multi-dimensional Chess Club is insisting that even Trump's most evident and egregious failures are part of some subtle, esoteric master plan that only he can perceive. While earlier this month they were cheering for the Trump Nobel Peace Prize, last week they were cheering his "my nuke is bigger than your nuke" threats and claiming this was his plan all along.

His North Korean reaction was pure emotion, all impulse and no judgment. Just like his responses to Cohen's new perils, the looming Mueller investigation, the failures of his superstar legal team to close down the Russia probe, his desire to corrupt and suborn the Justice Department and the intelligence community to protect him from the special counsel are all signs of his contempt for the rule of law.

Your rational mind knows why Trump is doing all of this, but the stress of seeing him lure 40% of the American people into a trap from which there is no escape is often painful to watch. As an anthropologist of Trump and Trumpism, sometimes I feel as if the best thing I do is to remind you that it's all a lie.

No matter how much he spins it, no matter how many cute brand names and catchphrases he tries to jam into the media flow, at his core, Donald Trump is a man in a rising sea of legal peril, political risk and catastrophic failures. This explains his increasingly erratic behavior and dangerous efforts to corrupt the special counsel process, the Justice Department, and American institutions more broadly.

We can be dragged down into Trump's wilderness of mirrors , or we can take a deep breath and appreciate just how truly terrible his week was. With Trump, it's always the worst week, since the last week.

At least next week is Infrastructure Week. We'll always have Infrastructure Week.

Wilson is a Republican political strategist.[/quote]

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pods said:

Rick Wilson on the current state of affairs. 

TL:DR It's like a Groundhog Day of Infrastructure Week

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/trump-land-delusion-article-1.4010243

Reveal hidden contents

Trump’s land of delusion: Disregard the sycophants; the wheels are coming off, if they were ever on

Bluffers bluff, and President Trump just tried to bluff his way through one of the worst weeks of his administration.

It's not working. Donald Trump is a terrible poker player. His tells are so clumsily obvious and that we mistakenly give him credit for guile where none exists, and for some cinematic, supervillain cunning where there is only a howling, feral mass of insecurity and need.

The delta between reality and spin with Trump is always broad, and last week it was unspinnably vast. It's also been a stunning illustration of just how powerful the division between reality and fantasy has become in the two hermetic media silos that now exist in America.

For some Americans — a minority, I pray — Trump is a pied piper luring the credulous and the uninformed into accepting lies over truth, comfort over reality and conspiracy over fact. In Trump's world and that of his angry minions, the winning doesn't stop, the vast left-wing conspiracy's witch-hunt against him is both broad and insidious, and the truth is what he wants it to be on any given day.

Maintaining the Trump illusion requires an endless suspension of disbelief; denying facts, logic, reason, the law and the utterly evident cluster-you-know-what that this administration represents. The pinnacle of that illusion-at-all-costs philosophy came after the revelation that an FBI informant followed up on leads that Trump campaign foreign policy aides Carter Page and George Papadopoulos had been playing footsie with the Russians.

On Fox News, talk radio and in the Trump-right online media armies, the innocent Trump campaign was the victim of FBI spying against them, ordered by notorious Kenyan Muslim sleeper agent Barack Obama, evil sorceress Hillary Clinton and their army of Deep State apparatchiks.

The President wants you to call the FBI's Russian counterintelligence program Spygate, but rational people have declined to indulge him. Stupidgate is instead just a ludicrous new chapter in the long chronicle of Trump dumbassery.

It's only one of the many examples of Trump's behavior of which historians in the far future will look upon with the same stunned disbelief and discomfort as we now consider tulip manias, Beanie Baby investment schemes, Milli Vanilli and acid-washed jeans. There might have been a moment where those ideas were intriguing, but in the hard light of history, they're grim reminders that fads and passions are fleeting.

For the FBI actions Trump calls Spygate to be a real concern, it would require malice. Instead, we've seen justification after justification for a robust counterintelligence response to Russian malfeasance. Drawn to the Trump campaign like flies to the biggest manure pile in the universe, the FBI wasn't after him, but rather — quite properly — the Russians who sought to (and may have succeeded) in subverting American democracy and corrupting our elections.

There's a line in the 1990s film "Grosse Point Blank" where John Cusack's assassin character defends his line of work. He says, "If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there."

It couldn't have been that an FBI counterintelligence investigation against the Russians kept finding lead after lead headed straight back to Trump associates, family members, friends, business partners and his senior campaign officials, could it? It couldn't have been because Trump advisers were boasting they had the Russian goods on Hillary Clinton, that his sons were taking meetings in Trump Tower with platoons of Russians tied to Vladimir Putin, or that his attorney Michael Cohen was signing letters of intent to build a Trump Tower in Moscow, right? And there's no way it was the opinion of every American intelligence agency that the Russians were all in with a program of information warfare in support of Donald Trump. No way? Way.

The central unspinnable story of the past week is the one over which Trump feels the most pressing anxiety. Three new stories reported on Michael Cohen's latest avenues of legal jeopardy, all of which increase the risk Cohen flips on Trump to Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

First, Cohen's longtime business associate Evgeny "The Taxi King" Freidman copped a plea deal and agreed to cooperate with the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York against Cohen. This development is bad news from every angle for both Cohen and Trump.

There's not a chance in hell Freidman would have been given an easy plea deal unless he had something to provide prosecutors on Cohen, and by extension, Trump.

Freidman comes from the same Russian circles as Cohen and Trump partner Felix Sater. I know you're asking the same question I do all the time: for a President who claims to have never had anything to do with Russia, Russian business interests or Russian money, why are there so many Russians and so much Russian money tied to him?

As if that wasn't bad enough, the BBC's Paul Wood delivered another hard blow. In an impeccably sourced piece, Wood revealed this week that Cohen (along with the aforementioned Sater) worked illegally on behalf of Ukraine, adding "lobbyist" to his usual roles as the fixer for and conduit to Trump. The BBC reports that Cohen took a $400,000 to $600,000 payoff from Ukrainian interests without bothering the register under the Foreign Agents Registration Act. Oh, that Foreign Agents Registration Act. You know, the law that requires anyone doing paid work on behalf of a foreign government to register with the United States Department of Justice.

On Friday, one more piece of bad news ratcheted Cohen's stress level even higher when it was revealed that he met with Viktor Vekselberg, a Russian oligarch deeply tied to Putin, in January of 2017, just before Trump's inauguration.

The denials from Team Trump that they have anything to do with Russia, their assertions that they have no business in Russia, didn't collude with Russia, didn't coordinate with Russia, never borrowed money from Russians, didn't accept dirt on Hillary Clinton from Russia, don't know any Russians, have never met any Russians and have never heard of the country of Russia ring more hollow with every revelation.

The vise squeezing Cohen is tightening, and every day that passes increases the chances he'll turn Judas on his friend and boss. Trump knows what Cohen knows, and what Cohen knows about Trump's business dealings, finances, taxes, serial infidelities, hush money to adult film stars (and Lord knows who else) isn't pretty.

Something else happened last week, and it wasn't just bad for Trump. It was bad for the world.

Trump's diplomatic pratfall on North Korea forced a pullout from the summit he had sold as the best thing since Trump University, and came just weeks after his breathless followers demanded that the Nobel Institute give Trump the Peace Prize. They did everything but fuel up Air Force One for a trip to Oslo, believing the deal to strip North Korea of its nuclear arsenal and intercontinental ballistic missiles to be done (Trump had basically tweeted as much), with nothing left to do but raise a champagne toast in Singapore.

Almost no one in the diplomatic, military or intelligence community believed for a moment that Kim Jong Un would fulfill his promises; Kim is a con man, conning a con man. Trump never understood that he is the mark in this con game, played by Kim with a helpful assist from Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Of course, North Korea never, ever intended to give up its nuclear arsenal, to end its long history of murderous oppression of its suffering people, or in any other way give Trump a diplomatic win. Kim's bad faith was never a question to anyone but Trump. It was a certainty. Furthermore, China never intended to help Trump win a major diplomatic victory, or to unify Korea.

No, Trump fans, it's not 87-dimensional chess. There's no secret plan, no hidden strategy. Trump is a man who sees everything through the dumb lens of reality television, New York tabloid spritzing, professional wrestling kayfabe and an utterly misplaced belief that he is a master negotiator.

He's a man of notably grotesque ignorance who refuses to read even the crayon picture-book version of the President's Daily Brief, and who is contemptuous of both the intelligence community and American diplomats.

Of course the Multi-dimensional Chess Club is insisting that even Trump's most evident and egregious failures are part of some subtle, esoteric master plan that only he can perceive. While earlier this month they were cheering for the Trump Nobel Peace Prize, last week they were cheering his "my nuke is bigger than your nuke" threats and claiming this was his plan all along.

His North Korean reaction was pure emotion, all impulse and no judgment. Just like his responses to Cohen's new perils, the looming Mueller investigation, the failures of his superstar legal team to close down the Russia probe, his desire to corrupt and suborn the Justice Department and the intelligence community to protect him from the special counsel are all signs of his contempt for the rule of law.

Your rational mind knows why Trump is doing all of this, but the stress of seeing him lure 40% of the American people into a trap from which there is no escape is often painful to watch. As an anthropologist of Trump and Trumpism, sometimes I feel as if the best thing I do is to remind you that it's all a lie.

No matter how much he spins it, no matter how many cute brand names and catchphrases he tries to jam into the media flow, at his core, Donald Trump is a man in a rising sea of legal peril, political risk and catastrophic failures. This explains his increasingly erratic behavior and dangerous efforts to corrupt the special counsel process, the Justice Department, and American institutions more broadly.

We can be dragged down into Trump's wilderness of mirrors , or we can take a deep breath and appreciate just how truly terrible his week was. With Trump, it's always the worst week, since the last week.

At least next week is Infrastructure Week. We'll always have Infrastructure Week.

Wilson is a Republican political strategist.[/quote]

Sounds like something a commie liberal cuck would write.

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Why is this in the Trump thread?  Pic is from Obama admin.  

I thought it seemed weird that Trump would care enough about immigrant children to provide them with car seats.  I figured it was an oversight, and someone got reamed for spending money on these "animals".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Why is this in the Trump thread?  Pic is from Obama admin.  

No it isn't.  This picture is from the Geo Group's website.  

The Geo Group is the private prison company that actually wrote the Texas bill that extended how long children could be detained for:

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/02/private-prison-corporation-wrote-texas-bill-extending-how-long-immigrant-children-can-be-detained/

They also made a 225 thousand dollar donation to the Trump campaign. 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 2