Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The Soviet Union

collapse-soviet-union.jpg

I don't want to sidetrack the thread, but didn't the USSR doom itself? Do you think foreign sanctions was such an important factor in the implosion? I won't argue with you, but I'm curious about what you think.

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The man you voted for is a complete moron. That does not bode well for negotiations of any kind.

He can't see that because his love for the Trumplicans is just too strong.  The investigation has been a long year if not two of indictments and criminal activity.  I doubt his presidency goes 4 years and certainly will not extend into 8 years.  The votes for reps in the fall will reveal more but my guess is it's going to be ugly for the Reds.    

30 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

What makes you think China and USA can’t agree on anything?  Maybe they have the same interests here?  Does it benefit China to have deteriorating vassal state with millions of potential refugees next door?  I don’t think so.  I think it benefits their entire region to have North Korea more compliant and less dangerous.  I think it benefits the entire world to have one less rogue state with nukes if possible. 

I guess I’m just amazed at people’s inability to see any kind of potential positive outcome.  Your hatred for Trump is just too strong.  It’s gonna be a long 4, probably 8 years for y’all.

What makes you think China need anything from us? More to the point, what makes you think that China needs the US in order to bring their vassal to heel?

I'm fairly certain that if it looks completely ridiculous and weak, which it would, that would be something China would want to avoid.

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't want to sidetrack the thread, but didn't the USSR doom itself? Do you think foreign sanctions was such an important factor in the implosion? I won't argue with you, but I'm curious about what you think.

They fucked themselves but it was largely due to their inability to open up and compete with the United States/West.

In their overextension they couldn’t hold their grip or support their population and change happened from within.

The Soviet Union wouldn’t have collapsed without external pressure.

With North Korea and China, it’s like we’ve completely forgotten who we are.  We are the motherfucking United States and we’re doing this Super Power thing all wrong.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

24 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Maybe the isolationist movement has been embedded in us because of these feelings that are being handed down generation to generation now.  Everybody looking out for themselves now. 

And it is everywhere, not just rural Texas, but the rust belt is hit just as hard.  Watch the Flint special on Netflix. 

Personally, I think one of the first steps in righting the ship will be to readjust the income distribution, make the middle class strong again.  But that same middle class we  should be making stronger is voting for people like trump who keep tipping the scales the other way.   So brainwashed.  

There was a great piece on Marketplace yesterday about Ankerpak -- an outfit that does all it can to manufacture here in the US.

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/05/31/business/guy-will-make-anything-long-he-can-make-it-america

It was a fantastic segment.  There's a way for more Americans to get a start, build themselves up, and make a decent living.  But it requires the heads of enterprises to be willing to build businesses that do that, and maybe the CEO of this enterprise doesn't make $1 million a year....he only makes $600k.  Sure, he could save a penny here and there (which adds up) by moving the operation to Mexico or China....but instead, he keeps those jobs here.

We can keep jobs here, but we won't have the profit margins, and concentrations of wealth at the top, like we do right now.  We're all in this together.  If we follow only the laws of economics (more profit, higher profit margins, anything to squeeze out an extra penny), but not the laws of community, we'll eventually destroy ourselves from within.  There's a collective, common good that's necessary for this SYSTEM to survive long-term.  We're seeing the tragedy of the commons writ-large: those with the ability to milk the system for every drop do so, accumulating great success and wealth, but at the cost of the long-term health of the metaphorical field and soil.  Long term, it's not sustainable.

• Like 3

If Trump is going to pay for a genocidal lunatic's hotel he should at least buy everyone on this board a margarita or something.  I've never really patted myself on the back for not feeding any of my relatives to ravenous dogs, but I'm starting to feel like insisting on recognition for my never-having-fed-my-relatives-to-ravenous-dogs prize.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chooky said:

If Trump is going to pay for a genocidal lunatic's hotel he should at least buy everyone on this board a margarita or something.  I've never really patted myself on the back for not feeding any of my relatives to ravenous dogs, but I'm starting to feel like insisting on recognition for my never-having-fed-my-relatives-to-ravenous-dogs prize.

Important distinction: POTUS isn’t paying for shit. We are. 

9 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

“The kids are going to vote this time!” might as well be inscribed on the side of Lucy’s football.  

There is no doubt you are right and I’ve been hearing it for as long as I’ve lived as well. My generation never really gave a shit about voting because it never seemed to matter what we voted for.  But my first year of life was in 1973. What did the GI generation vote for when they got the vote and by how much? Do you know? Does anyone? That matters to me more than what my generation did or perhaps your own. 

17 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Y'all do know he didn't really feed his uncle to starving dogs, right? That was some old school fake news. Some Chinese satirist just made it up, a shitty paper in Hong Kong ran with the story, and now we think he's an even bigger asshole than he really is. 

Yes, because he only executes people with antiaircraft guns.  He's just misunderstood.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Y'all do know he didn't really feed his uncle to starving dogs, right? That was some old school fake news. Some Chinese satirist just made it up, a shitty paper in Hong Kong ran with the story, and now we think he's an even bigger asshole than he really is. 

Yep.  He's good dude from an even better family.  

I think Trump’s foreign policy with China, Russia and NK will focus on foreign policy theater, whereby Trump secures symbolic “wins” for his administration and his family fortune. Because Trump is as corrupt as it comes, these three anti-democratic nations can secure deals under the table that benefit them while weakening democracy, global diplomacy and the world’s economy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I think Trump’s foreign policy with China, Russia and NK will focus on foreign policy theater, whereby Trump secures symbolic “wins” for his administration and his family fortune. Because Trump is as corrupt as it comes, these three anti-democratic nations can secure deals under the table that benefit them while weakening democracy, global diplomacy and the world’s economy.

Fully agree.  And all three will try and suppress the press while running criminal enterprises.  

51 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

2q6a.gif

13 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

He can't see that because his love for the Trumplicans is just too strong.  The investigation has been a long year if not two of indictments and criminal activity.  I doubt his presidency goes 4 years and certainly will not extend into 8 years.  The votes for reps in the fall will reveal more but my guess is it's going to be ugly for the Reds.    

A couple quick things. 

1) I’m not a “Trumplican”.  I don’t support everything he or his party do. Not even close to it. 

2) “Trumplican” might be even worse than “libtard”. When you use it, it looks juvenile and signals a lack of intelligence. You’d do best to polish up your language if you want to be taken seriously. Maybe not on the internet, but in the real world.

Be careful out there, Trump is watching you everywhere. 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

A couple quick things. 

1) I’m not a “Trumplican”.  I don’t support everything he or his party do. Not even close to it. 

2) “Trumplican” might be even worse than “libtard”. When you use it, it looks juvenile and signals a lack of intelligence. You’d do best to polish up your language if you want to be taken seriously. Maybe not on the internet, but in the real world.

It’s fun to toss out “trumpkin” or “trumpanzee” or whatever to trigger people.  Even I do it, but more of a half-assed effort to try and separate them from the more rational Republicans  

But honestly, we just need to call them Republicans. At this point, the GOP deserves every bit of responsibility for Trump’s bullshit that we put off on Trump and his biggest supporters.

Until they start trying to hold Trump accountable, the GOP is 100% Trump. 

• Like 8

Not all Trump supporters are Republicans and not all Republicans are Trump supporters.

I feel like Trumpkin is good shorthand for Trump supporter without alienating conservatives.

I’ll try to refrain from the Trumpkin term going forward and just call them Aggies. 

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not all Trump supporters are Republicans and not all Republicans are Trump supporters.

I feel like Trumpkin is good shorthand for Trump supporter without alienating conservatives.

I’ll try to refrain from the Trumpkin term going forward and just call them Aggies. 

Republican leaders are supporting (and defending) Trump, both with opinions, and with actions.  The GOP deserves to be fully tied to Trump. 

Conservatives are a different story.  But until the GOP party (and Congressional) leadership holds Trump accountable for his stupid shit, they deserve to be labeled as the Party of Trump. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

A couple quick things. 

While you're out there posturing as a highly intelligent grown up, all the actual highly intelligent grown ups are noticing that Trump is dismantling the checks and balances that hold our Republic together.

So, there's that.

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Republican leaders are supporting (and defending) Trump, both with opinions, and with actions.  The GOP deserves to be fully tied to Trump. 

Conservatives are a different story.  But until the GOP party (and Congressional) leadership holds Trump accountable for his stupid shit, they deserve to be labeled as the Party of Trump. 

You're on the money. There's no reason to pretend like there's some split between Trump supporters and some other conservatives of higher moral standing or whatever. At this point in time, the GOP is mostly behind Trump and pretending like #NeverTrump people matter is ridiculous. 

Like look at what happens to a Republican that goes against the dear leader, Flake and McCain are now hated by both parties.  Gowdy is currently getting blackballed.

If Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell actually stood up to Trump, would anyone give them praise? The Trumpkins would lable them traitors and the democrats would bash them for taking too long and “muh voting record!”

There’s absolutely nothing to gain politically for a Republican to go against Trump.  It’s a hostage situation.

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Like look at what happens to a Republican that goes against the dear leader, Flake and McCain are now hated by both parties.  Gowdy is currently getting blackballed.

If Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell actually stood up to Trump, would anyone give them praise? The Trumpkins would lable them traitors and the democrats would bash them for taking too long and “muh voting record!”

There’s absolutely nothing to gain politically for a Republican to go against Trump.  It’s a hostage situation.

I prefer to think of it more as Stockholm syndrome.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 2