Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

That was almost 30 years ago.  At 300+million interactions/year.....you really want to do the math?  

In your estimation, what percentage of police would have stopped the assault on George Floyd if they were in the position of the other three officers who did not intervene?

Whatever that number is is the percentage of cops that are good. The remainder is your bad cop percentage.

My guess is about 5% of cops would have stepped in. What ya got?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay.  So, you really want us to pull up all of the recorded instances of cops abusing citizens, and no cop stopping them?  I mean, give me a few hours tonight, and you know I'm going to longcat the FUCK out of this post.  Come on.  I can do it.  You really, really don't want me to.

I started with Rodney King to show that this is a CONTINUING problem.  

Seriously, what are the odds that out of those 48 cops, not ONE was good?  And as for "in the middle of a riot," watch the goddamned video.  There was no riot there.  There were no bottles flying or any of that shit.  The area they were in was peaceful.

And please DO raise the fact that all four of George Floyd's murderers are going to jail.  That's the point.  They are going to jail NOT because a cop reported the murder, but because members of the public saw it happening and recording it.  THAT MAKES THE POINT.  If the public hadn't recorded that, do you think the rest of the world would have even known it happened?  Or would those cops all have filed CYA reports lying about what happened.

What I love most is that you won't let go of the logical fallacy of "there's lots of times they DON'T break the law."  That's fucking amazing.  I'm serious.  Every single criminal in the world can use that defense equally well.  "I've shopped thousands of times without stealing anything -- why are you freaking out because I lifted that necklace?"  It's that stupid, and the fact that you continue to hang onto it just makes you look absurd.

48 cops.  48.  Not one good one in the bunch.  Think about what the odds must be for that to happen WITHOUT the vast majority of cops being type 2 bad cops?

So very much on point. And if you went back 100 years, the sad reality is that the times cops have gotten away with abusing citizens(of all colors) is probably in the millions. Even now the only reason this incident and many others like it became known is due to smartphones. What if the Floyd's murder had been at night when it couldn't have been videoed, or not nearly so clearly? The answer is that the cops probably get away scott-free. The whole argument that "most cops are good" and there are always a "few bad apples" is just absurd. The truth is that their are a ton of dirty cops and 100x more of them that will help cover for the dirty ones, which makes them no better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I don't know if he's in Better Call Saul as I'm way behind on that show. This is Colin Robinson, the energy vampire from the hilarious hit comedy show WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, which airs on FX on Wednesday nights. 😆

In a recent Colin-centric episode he referred to himself as "C-Man."

And all episodes streaming on Hulu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It was irresponsible at the very least. I don't care that these are non-lethal rounds and charges (supposedly) you don't use them unless necessary. That wasn't necessary. The guys lighting up the dude's car in Denver with pepper bullets or whatever probably because they thought it was funny is irresponsible behavior at best. There's a guy in Dallas who was at a peaceful protest looking for his friend when he got blasted in the face with a rubber bullet. He lost an eye and had serious damage done to his face.

Here's the really idiotic thing on the part of the cops. 

These little actions, they turn those people, their family, and friends, completely against those cops.  They see those cops as the enemy and an occupying force.

And then people watch those videos in different parts of the country, and many of those people are turned firmly against the police, because they ask themselves if that would happen in their hometown, and the answer is more often than not, yes.

And so then you get folks who run for local and county officers whose platform is to rein in the police.  And they win.   And they implement restrictions on use-of-force.  And when those cops' contracts come up, they probably don't have the goodwill of the public behind them, so they may not get much out of those new contracts.   They sure as hell aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt from your average citizen.

These cops are truly their own worst enemy.  But that Minneapolis union chief, he's going to go down swinging for his murdering guys, and for those guys who "lit em up", because he doesn't give a shit about the citizens, he only cares about keeping the support of his union members.

4 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

So very much on point. And if you went back 100 years, the sad reality is that the times cops have gotten away with abusing citizens(of all colors) is probably in the millions. Even now the only reason this incident and many others like it became known is due to smartphones. What if the Floyd's murder had been at night when it couldn't have been videoed, or not nearly so clearly? The answer is that the cops probably get away scott-free. The whole argument that "most cops are good" and there are always a "few bad apples" is just absurd. The truth is that their are a ton of dirty cops and 100x more of them that will help cover for the dirty ones, which makes them no better

The lady EMT that was murdered in Kentucky - imagine if that had been caught on video.

• Like 1

For the Alex Jones fans, a Chinook just flew over a half hour ago or so, fairly low going due east from Mabry - normally they fly north (probably to Fort Hood) or south along Mopac and rarely come due east from Mabry (perhaps because of traffic patterns and all of the lifeflight traffic).

6 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Bingo. 

Think about how revolutionary the Rodney King situation was.  Not because a buncha LA cops beat up a black dude -- shit, that was SOP.  It was revolutionary because it occurred at a point in history where home video cameras had reached a point of reasonably wide distribution.  So, when someone nearby saw shit going down, all he had to do was go get his bulky video camera off the shelf and start recording.  It was a new day -- citizens could video cops performing their jobs (and violating the law).

Nothing was different or new except the ability to capture the incidents.

Fast forward to 2020 -- effectively everyone over the age of 12 has a high quality video camera in their pocket at all times.  Many stores have their own cheap cameras trained on the street etc.  If you are a cop engaging in shenanigans within view of the public, you are likely to be recorded.

Which, of course, is why the Fraternal Order of Police, a NATIONAL organization, representing ALL cops (not just a "few bad apples") actually worked to CRIMINALIZE citizens recording the cops (they got a law passed in Illinois - it was, unsurprisingly, found to be unconstitutional).  The organization that represents all cops made it illegal for us to record them while they worked for us.  Sound like just one in a million is bad?  Yeah, didn't think so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

The lady EMT that was murdered in Kentucky - imagine if that had been caught on video.

And by all rights it should have been. My dad(retired full bird Army) lives in Elizabethtown, not far from Louisville. He's pretty in the know about things going on up there, and told me that that police chief FINALLY got fired over the shooting death of a business owner where a bodycam was not "activated", even after numerous incidents and warnings from the city government. He obviously had an issue with his officers being required to use them. Fuck that guy. Sadly, he wil probably end up getting a job in LE in some small town somewhere 

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm not defending behavior in a riot.  Nor am I using it as evidence that the MAJORITY of cops are bad.  

So you want police behavior during the scenario where their ability to behave lawfully and calmly is MORE important than at any other time to be ignored when judging their behavior?

Who gives a shit that they can stay calm and act legally when things are easy? So can everyone. 

Your argument is essentially absolving all the looters and criminals of any wrongdoing as well. I mean my God it's a riot! People act crazy! You can't judge them for looting or assaulting officers during a riot, right? What a ridiculously terrible argument. 

Interdasting

https://www.kxan.com/austin-george-floyd-mike-ramos-protests/two-austin-city-council-members-call-for-resignation-of-apd-chief-over-response-to-protests/

Three Austin City Council members have called for the resignation of the city’s police chief, Brian Manley, over his department’s response to police brutality protests.

Only the Austin city manager has the authority to fire the police chief, not the city council. Council Member Jimmy Flannigan joined Casar’s call for Manley to resign, urging Manley to find an avenue to assist reform efforts in a civilian capacity.

“I have had many concerns long before this weekend and ultimately for me I would encourage you to consider a path in this movement for reform where your role is not in the seat that you are in right now,” Flannigan said.

Council Member Delia Garza also said Manley should step down.

It's easy for them to call for that resignation since they have no say in things, but still, they are putting their names down as wanting it.

• Like 1

From that article

On Friday, Manley said a new policy will require that officers will not target the head or neck area with a less-lethal round, unless in a deadly force situation. He said there is no indication that any rubber bullet rounds were used.

“We saw some horrific outcomes, outcomes no one expected,” Manley said. “I can tell you many on my team have seen the injuries that were caused by that. We’ve never seen that before.”

Ernesto Rodriguez, Austin-Travis County Emergency EMS chief, said 53 protester incidents involved emergency medical services. Twenty-nine patients had to be transported to the hospital, 11 of which had injuries caused by less-lethal weapons.

One patient, Rodriguez said, had an open skull fracture. Another had a bean bag round embedded in the lower cavity of their jaw. Another suffered a bean bag round to the temple, causing a hematoma.
“All of these injuries are potentially lethal,” Rodriguez said.

Fuck me.

The Office of Police Oversight, which accepts complaints against the police from the public, has submitted 159 vetted complaints related to protests to APD internal affairs for investigation.
OPO Director Farah Muscadin called the complaint volume “unprecedented.”

It’s up to APD, however, whether these cases will be investigated.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, this might not be popular to say right now...but I think some of the anti-police rhetoric is uncalled for (not completely, but some). 

But holy fucking shit, how do we say, with all that we know if physics and physiology in 2020, that certain weapons (bean bags, rubber bullets, et. al.) aren't lethal?  They cause brain damage and internal bleeding.  Both of which (checks notes from Biology class at UT he got a C- in ) are kinda fucking lethal to the human body.  

A nightstick is also lethal if you hit somebody hard enough with it.  A taser is lethal if you hit somebody in the right place with it, or they have a heart condition.  ECW's are all perfectly capable of killing most human beings in the hands of the wrong officer...which of course is where they typically find themselves. They're not non-lethal weapons.  They're just "not-usually-as-lethal" weapons.  Fuck a woman died in Columbus, OH this week from a tear gas/pepper spray mixture that fucked up her lungs.  

We're having a conversation about lethal vs. non-lethal weapons right now in this country because of a fucking knee-cap, which was classified as non-lethal in everything including UFC and the 1984 all-Valley Karate Tournament

Let that simmer for a minute.  

Edited by Lobo

I am not anti-police. Zero percent.

I am  pro liberty, due process, and accountability for both citizens and the police.

It's that simple.  I agree that some folks are piling on with aspects of their agendas, but at this point, the fucking cops begged for it.

Hold em accountable.  Fire their bosses when the processes/ expectations break down- just like about 98% of the rest of us have in our jobs.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Deej said:

If the chief of police didn't realize shooting any projectile at someone's head was a bad idea, he should be terminated immediately. 

This is an old tactic with LEOs - playing dumb when the shit hits the fan.  

Manley is simply "running home to momma" with his fake contrition.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, this might not be popular to say right now...but I think some of the anti-police rhetoric is uncalled for (not completely, but some). 

But holy fucking shit, how do we say, with all that we know if physics and physiology in 2020, that certain weapons (bean bags, rubber bullets, et. al.) aren't lethal?  They cause brain damage and internal bleeding.  Both of which (checks notes from Biology class at UT he got a C- in ) are kinda fucking lethal to the human body.  

A nightstick is also lethal if you hit somebody hard enough with it.  A taser is lethal if you hit somebody in the right place with it, or they have a heart condition.  ECW's are all perfectly capable of killing most human beings in the hands of the wrong officer...which of course is where they typically find themselves. They're not non-lethal weapons.  They're just "not-usually-as-lethal" weapons.  Fuck a woman died in Columbus, OH this week from a tear gas/pepper spray mixture that fucked up her lungs.  

We're having a conversation about lethal vs. non-lethal weapons right now in this country because of a fucking knee-cap, which was classified as non-lethal in everything including UFC and the 1984 all-Valley Karate Tournament

Let that simmer for a minute.  

I worked in security forces in the military for several years.  People that use these weapons in a professional capacity refer to them as “less lethal” weapons, or at least they should. Never, ever forget that they can be lethal, and the use of force guidelines for their employment should be nearly the same as other deadly force.   Calling them “non-lethal” (looking at you press and poorly trained police forces) results in less restraint in their use, leading to most of the BS we have seen in the last week and a half with people being badly injured or killed by these weapons.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB)–News 4 has learned the entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team has resigned from the team.

That’s a total of 57 officers.

We’re told this is a show of support for the officers who are suspended without pay after shoving 75-year-old Martin Gugino.

Maybe that hooker who was offering sex to any cop who quit, extended her reach.  She's probably worth it by Buffalo standards.

Edited by OU Sucks

8 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Maybe that hooker who was offering sex to any cop who quit, extended her reach.  She's probably worth it by Buffalo standards.

They're not quitting the force just that specific riot squad. I think that just gets them a hand job.  

• Like 1

Fuck those Buffalo cops. They should fire every POS one of them. Total horseshit. I am willing to bet with 40 million people unemployed that you can find 50 odd or so out of them:

A) willing to live in/near Buffalo

B) willing to be a cop (and probably do a better job than these shitstains)

• Like 1

Looking for links to on-the-street streamers and such?

Try this - worked for me, and the one for twitch.tv/woke is pretty good, as it shows a 3x3 matrix of other streamers, from various places.

Let me know whether this spreadsheet link works or not: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/9/d/e/2PACX-1vRwy_RmqgnDQiYnzJDpvQA3t_q1XgJB42L1PrzDj9yLhhoSf899fH51fSnIaWwNNX1qELmyH9I2qQhc/pubhtml

57 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/nyregion/coronavirus-leaving-nyc.html

79a67f589e0e78d535eaa8bdbe0bd9aa.jpg

They were leaving due to COVID, and now they are not coming back due to the civil unrest. Please don't come back. There will be a real estate correction, and housing might become more affordable.

Selfishly I’ve been hoping all of this upheaval would drive out the suburbanites and relieve us of at least some tourists. I was on a board call yesterday where this fuck head banker was complaining about protestors ruining “his city”. Made me smile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

^dcar

I get it.  I'm just a little more willing to allow for a modicum more of financial corruption if it would mean a few less white cops killing black people for no reason.  I can count the news stories of police corruption in the last year on one hand, but the murder of innocent black men is in 3-figures year in and year out.  

The amount of financial corruption in police departments has never really gone down anyway, it's just a lot quieter and more discreet.  We're 90 pages into this thread and we haven't even scratched the surface on financial crimes committed by police.  The amount of officers involved in the drug trade would surprise a lot of Americans.  

yes I get it too. 

there are not 3 figures of innocent black people being killed by white cops.  there are 3 figures of black people(i'm going to assume most are men) being killed by cops(some may be hispanic, black, asian or white).  how many of them are justified who really knows.  unarmed is 9 last year.  we hear the "I thought he had a weapon" and "I feared for my life" responses many times.  some maybe justified, some not.  there are 3 figures of white people killed by cops every year as well.

there were approx 1000 killings by cop last year.  someone should do a real analysis of every one.  Its 1K, it should be doable

here was a study done by Mich state professor that I posted above.  does the guy have an agenda?  probably.  every study does(CDC, FBI, University, Conservative think tank, liberal think tank, Fed govt, NASA, OSHA, etc)  they all do.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877

are some cops racist? yes. do some cops cover for other cops? yes. do they do it more when the person is white vs. black? likely not. do mayors and police chiefs and DA's sometimes look the other way?  yes.  do minorities get pulled over/checked/badgered more than white people on a per capita basis? I'm sure the answer is yes.  are there more arrests/incidents per capita in minority and lower income neighborhoods.  I am sure there are.

is there more crime in minority/low income neighborhoods or does it just seem that way because there is more attention by police.   maybe we should have everyone police their own, maybe every area of a city needs to have an even distribution of patrols.  everything even right? no white guys shooting black guys.  no hispanics shooting white guys.  guess who will be the first to scream that's not right if someone suggests it.

This really isn't in the big picture a race thing, this is a shitty cop, shitty training, shitty oversight, shitty policy, and most importantly a shitty leader thing.

Does the general pop of Black, Hispanics, Asians, etc have it harder than gen pop of caucasians in the US? yes they do. They almost always will in almost everything.  we can close the gap and have made decent strides but it starts with the leaders of cities who are in charge of the police if we want the police "fixed".

edit: this is my TLDR post in honor of Brisket;

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 3

Selfishly I’ve been hoping all of this upheaval would drive out the suburbanites and relieve us of at least some tourists. I was on a board call yesterday where this fuck head banker was complaining about protestors ruining “his city”. Made me smile.
He has obviously been fooled into thinking protestors = looters. Idiot.

If we could open up a bit, with people being gone and no tourists, this might be a nice summer.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

He has obviously been fooled into thinking protestors = looters. Idiot.

If we could open up a bit, with people being gone and no tourists, this might be a nice summer.

See you're not a true New Yorker. You're supposed to leave the city in the summer for a place in the Hamptons or Catskills.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't know who would know, maybe @Bozo_Casanova but the Austin Justice Coalition has a huge protest planned for Sunday.  Is it actually going to be as big as some are predicting?

No idea, but my kid seems to think it’s going to be pretty big. I really wish she wasn’t going.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

From that article

Fuck me.

I tell my kids not to shoot their siblings in the head with a nerf gun cause they could hurt each other. 

This common sense that my children are able to grasp quite simply is lost on these cops when they start shooting rubber bullets and bean bags at peoples heads. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Fuck those Buffalo cops. They should fire every POS one of them. Total horseshit. I am willing to bet with 40 million people unemployed that you can find 50 odd or so out of them:

A) willing to live in/near Buffalo

B) willing to be a cop (and probably do a better job than these shitstains)

Roughly half the country supports the manner in which cops are behaving (or think they should be more aggressive) and the other half don’t want any part of the brotherhood. Which pool do you think the candidates will come from?

No idea, but my kid seems to think it’s going to be pretty big. I really wish she wasn’t going.

We’re really torn. It’s exactly the kind of thing we would like to participate in: black voices will take the lead, we’d be there to listen and support. But I suspect it’s going to be unmanageably large.

21 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Roughly half the country supports the manner in which cops are behaving (or think they should be more aggressive) and the other half don’t want any part of the brotherhood. Which pool do you think the candidates will come from?

maybe I am an optimist. 40 million people I figure we can find 57 who could be better than the ones who "quit"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Douche biker who likes assaulting children arrested:

the stupid thing is if he was really all bent out of shape about it.  he could have just rode back by and taken them down.  what a dumbass.

• Like 1

I think yall are misinterpreting the actions of the second Buffalo cop; the cop who prevented the first cop from bending down over the old guy on the ground.  The second cop did not think he was stopping the first one from rendering aid.  The second cop was doing a good deed.  He was stopping the first cop from bending down to continue to beat the old guy.

[Slight sarcasm but who knows, maybe?]