COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

21 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Online learning is a great option for kids of wealthy parents and high-achieving high schoolers.

But for poor kids, or kids of parents who don't give a shit, or special ed kids (especially younger)?  Tantamount to child abuse or neglect.

I mean, how the hell is a dyslexic kid going to get his needs met online?

i don't have kids, but one of my best friend's daughters is dyslexic and is a high school junior this year...and the switch to online schooling has actually been terrific for her. she was always tremendously stressed and a ball of anxiety in school, emotional distress daily, to the point where it made her physically ill at times...online, my friend says she is able to take her time, the inter-personal stress associated with having a 'disability' is completely removed, and she's actually flourishing. friend said she's even working ahead at times. her grades have improved and the special ed teacher has given really positive feedback.

all-in-all, she's more worried about having to go back in the classroom, not b/c of covid but b/c she has done tremendously well online this year. 

granted, they are very involved parents and have the necessary resources (good internet and technology, etc.)...but going online seems to have done wonders for her dyslexia. just a counterpoint to say it's not all 'child abuse or neglect'.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i don't have kids, but one of my best friend's daughters is dyslexic and is a high school junior this year...and the switch to online schooling has actually been terrific for her. she was always tremendously stressed and a ball of anxiety in school, emotional distress daily, to the point where it made her physically ill at times...online, my friend says she is able to take her time, the inter-personal stress associated with having a 'disability' is completely removed, and she's actually flourishing. friend said she's even working ahead at times. her grades have improved and the special ed teacher has given really positive feedback.

all-in-all, she's more worried about having to go back in the classroom, not b/c of covid but b/c she has done tremendously well online this year. 

granted, they are very involved parents and have the necessary resources (good internet and technology, etc.)...but going online seems to have done wonders for her dyslexia. just a counterpoint to say it's not all 'child abuse or neglect'.

Good perspective - thanks.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

If ya'll think we're not opening up basically fully at that point, ya'll are insane. Memorial Day is going to be the biggest party weekend our country has seen in a long time.

I want one helluva July 4th party.  That's when we really need to throw the The Shindig.

It'll be 245 years after the Declaration of Independence, that's got to be grounds for some big fucking party, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

544 cases today in Travis County. Down from a week ago's numbers by ~140 or so. Admits were 68 today after the 5 previous days all >70.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 1/25 vs  vs 1/24 3 22 61 129 115 85 57 37 23 12 544
% of Daily Change 0.55% 4.04% 11.21% 23.71% 21.14% 15.63% 10.48% 6.80% 4.23% 2.21%  
% of Total Cases 0.58% 3.79% 9.78% 26.22% 20.94% 15.08% 11.42% 6.74% 3.25% 2.20%  
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I just don't understand the continued idea that we're not going to be back to (fairly) normal very soon. Just back of the napkin math:

Right now a conservative estimate is 100 million with existing immunity via having had the virus. 

1 million vaccines a day. Accounting for the vaccine being 90% effective, and accounting for ~30% of vaccinations being "wasted" on people who already have immunity, that means every day we add about 630,000 new immune people.  At that rate, by April 1st, 65% of Americans over the age of 18 will have immunity. If we increase our output to 1.5 million per day which is not only doable but probably lowballing it some, that number is 74% of adults. These estimates are likely on the low side of reality, because they're also not accounting for new cases between now and April 1 which would be a few million more.

By April 1st, here's what things are going to look like:

- 2/3 of adults in America have Covid immunity
- Almost every senior citizen (who wants it) vaccinated. Everybody with risk factors who wants it vaccinated
- Hospital admissions are going to be almost rock bottom, onesy-twosy type stuff.
- Deaths are going to be the same way. Near-zero regionally.
- The weather will be warmed up which helps transmission

If ya'll think we're not opening up basically fully at that point, ya'll are insane. Memorial Day is going to be the biggest party weekend our country has seen in a long time.

This guy FUCKS

Yeah, I just don't understand the continued idea that we're not going to be back to (fairly) normal very soon. Just back of the napkin math:
Right now a conservative estimate is 100 million with existing immunity via having had the virus. 
1 million vaccines a day. Accounting for the vaccine being 90% effective, and accounting for ~30% of vaccinations being "wasted" on people who already have immunity, that means every day we add about 630,000 new immune people.  At that rate, by April 1st, 65% of Americans over the age of 18 will have immunity. If we increase our output to 1.5 million per day which is not only doable but probably lowballing it some, that number is 74% of adults. These estimates are likely on the low side of reality, because they're also not accounting for new cases between now and April 1 which would be a few million more.
- Almost every senior citizen (who wants it) vaccinated. Everybody with risk factors who wants it vaccinated
- Hospital admissions are going to be almost rock bottom, onesy-twosy type stuff.

Isn’t 100,000,000 worldwide? Maybe I’m misunderstanding but switching from worldwide stats to America only vaccination rates is confusing me.

Isn’t 100,000,000 worldwide? Maybe I’m misunderstanding but switching from worldwide stats to America only vaccination rates is confusing me.
25 mill confirmed here. The consensus in the scientific community is 2-5x that worth of unconfirmed and asymptomatic cases. So 75mm to 150mm total real cases.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
9 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

25 mill confirmed here. The consensus in the scientific community is 2-5x that worth of unconfirmed and asymptomatic cases. So 75mm to 150mm total real cases.

But consensus is also that natural immunity wanes as early as 2 months post sickness. So a good portion of that 100MM is back to being susceptible. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But consensus is also that natural immunity wanes as early as 2 months post sickness. So a good portion of that 100MM is back to being susceptible. 

Where are you seeing that? Everything I've read says that immunity essentially has lasted the entire time window that we have data on - ~8 months at least.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html

How long might immunity to the coronavirus last? Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study — the most hopeful answer yet to a question that has shadowed plans for widespread vaccination.

Eight months after infection, most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness, the new data show. A slow rate of decline in the short term suggests, happily, that these cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.

Lots more out there showing the same findings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well let me see if I can find it now 

it was probably this or some medium referring to this 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.02.20224824v1.full.pdf

which was issued prior to peer review and is a few months old, so I may be operating with outdated or bad information. 

most of the other links that came up that were about short antibody lifespan were articles written off of this study. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I want to believe. 

I have a friend that had Covid and it kicked his ass. He’s a Hispanic man, 60, overweight, and diabetic but he survived without having to hospitalized. He mentioned he was signing up for the vaccine and I asked him why. He said that he had been told he was only immune for 4-6 weeks. That doesn’t seem right to me, but that is what he was told. I would think that natural immunity from having had it would be much better than immunity from the vaccine, but that doesn’t appear to be accurate.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I have a friend that had Covid and it kicked his ass. He’s a Hispanic man, 60, overweight, and diabetic but he survived without having to hospitalized. He mentioned he was signing up for the vaccine and I asked him why. He said that he had been told he was only immune for 4-6 weeks. That doesn’t seem right to me, but that is what he was told. I would think that natural immunity from having had it would be much better than immunity from the vaccine, but that doesn’t appear to be accurate.

The vaccine isn't a vaccine, it will keep people from developing full blown covid. I'm sorry about your friend and hope he pulls through. My in-laws had covid in late march - tested positive for antibodies and the whole thing. Last month they tested negative for antibodies. 

I still get fuzzy on this whole "vaccine isn't a vaccine" thing.  I mean don't most vaccines (if not all) work on the notion of conditioning ones immune system to recognize and kick the ass of an invader.  In other words aren't what we traditionally call vaccines all prophylactic in nature.  I guess what I am saying is I get the notion that you can still carry and maybe even spread a virus whilst your immune system is in the midst of said ass-kicking and that for the time being with the unknown of how effective a vaccinated person is at spreading the virus and the large numbers of folks that remain unvaccinated that you have to basically do unto others as if you are not vaccinated BUT when that flips I feel like the vaccine is a vaccine and things should get back to normal.  

So somebody educate me.

18 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I still get fuzzy on this whole "vaccine isn't a vaccine" thing.  I mean don't most vaccines (if not all) work on the notion of conditioning ones immune system to recognize and kick the ass of an invader.  In other words aren't what we traditionally call vaccines all prophylactic in nature.  I guess what I am saying is I get the notion that you can still carry and maybe even spread a virus whilst your immune system is in the midst of said ass-kicking and that for the time being with the unknown of how effective a vaccinated person is at spreading the virus and the large numbers of folks that remain unvaccinated that you have to basically do unto others as if you are not vaccinated BUT when that flips I feel like the vaccine is a vaccine and things should get back to normal.  

So somebody educate me.

If the virus can freely go from vaccinated person to vaccinated person and the only effect is the person is an unaffected host, then the “vaccine” isn’t limiting the proliferation of the virus at all.  

If the virus can freely go from vaccinated person to vaccinated person and the only effect is the person is an unaffected host, then the “vaccine” isn’t limiting the proliferation of the virus at all.  

Understand that also reading several definitions of what a vaccine is none of them put this requirement forward. They all speak a lot to things such as

prevent or ameliorate the effects of a future infection by a natural or "wild" pathogen)

Or

a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases

Or

The efficacy or performance of the vaccine is dependent on a number of factors:

the disease itself (for some diseases vaccination performs better than for others)
the strain of vaccine (some vaccines are specific to, or at least most effective against, particular strains of the disease)
whether the vaccination schedule has been properly observed.
idiosyncratic response to vaccination; some individuals are "non-responders" to certain vaccines, meaning that they do not generate antibodies even after being vaccinated correctly.
assorted factors such as ethnicity, age, or genetic predisposition.

Nowhere am I finding that the role of a vaccine is absolutely to eradicate the ability of a virus to spread (and thus one would think the virus itself although I’m sure that has happened)

It's an immunotherapy that prevents the virus from turning into the disease we all refer to as covid-19. The virus still incubates and replicates and is communicable by those who are "vaccinated". I think everyone should go get the immunotherapy, but let's stop with this bullshit of calling it a vaccine when it clearly isn't and you can and will still test positive and spread the virus. 

My money is on the vaccine preventing spread like every other vaccine in history. The media is acting irresponsibly here. They hear a scientist say "right now we don't have enough data to decisively conclude that the vaccine prevents spread", and the headline is "Covid vaccine doesn't prevent spread zomg". Dumb.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, immamac said:

The vaccine isn't a vaccine, it will keep people from developing full blown covid. I'm sorry about your friend and hope he pulls through. My in-laws had covid in late march - tested positive for antibodies and the whole thing. Last month they tested negative for antibodies. 

The good news for them is that the antibodies are only one of the immunological agents that organize to fight the virus.  T-Cells and B-cells are also responsible for that duty, and a recent study suggests that those don't drop off much over time, and in some cases even continue to increase.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/06/1015822/covid-19-immunity-likely-lasts-for-years/?fbclid=IwAR3OsYeoygBf22fn4N0sP4pHmZb9Lleg9sGzpMCFVrteyo7oWpyOM2Mujhc

Covid-19 patients who recovered from the disease still have robust immunity from the coronavirus eight months after infection, according to a new study...

“There was a lot of concern originally that this virus might not induce much memory,” says Shane Crotty, a researcher at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology in California and a coauthor of the new paper. “Instead, the immune memory looks quite good.”...

The new paper studied blood samples from 185 men and women who had recovered from covid-19—most from a mild infection, although 7% were hospitalized. Each person provided at least one blood sample between six days and eight months after their initial symptoms, and 43 of the samples were taken after six months. The team that ran the investigation measured the levels of several immunological agents that work together to prevent reinfection: antibodies (which tag a pathogen for destruction by the immune system or neutralize its activity), B cells (which make antibodies), and T cells (which kill infected cells). 

The researchers found that antibodies in the body declined moderately after eight months, although levels varied wildly between individuals. But T-cell numbers declined only modestly, and B-cell numbers held steady and sometimes inexplicably grew. That means that despite decreases in free-flowing antibodies, the components that can restart antibody production and coordinate an attack against the coronavirus stick around at pretty high levels. Crotty adds that the same mechanisms that lead to immune memory after infection also form the basis for immunity after vaccination, so the same trends ought to hold for vaccinated people as well. 

As always, of course, the situation is fluid.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The last page of this thread seems to have quite a bit of misinformation.  Here is what the data shows so far:

The vaccine very likely prevents spread.

Immunity after recovering from infection or receiving the vaccine likely lasts at least 6 months.

You can have immunity without testing positive for antibodies.

The vaccine very likely works against the known variants.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm a lawyer, so I clearly know everything.  But can you explain, for the benefit of others on this thread, the difference between the COVID-19 "vaccine" and the flu shot?  And I've always called it the "flu shot" and not the "flu vaccine," but maybe I've been doing it wrong.

I think the functional difference between the COVID vaccine and a flu shot is that the COVID shot appears to be generally effective against strains with the spike protein, whereas the flu shot really only helps with a specific strain of flu 

10 hours ago, immamac said:

It's an immunotherapy that prevents the virus from turning into the disease we all refer to as covid-19. The virus still incubates and replicates and is communicable by those who are "vaccinated". I think everyone should go get the immunotherapy, but let's stop with this bullshit of calling it a vaccine when it clearly isn't and you can and will still test positive and spread the virus. 

Where did you get that "the virus still incubates and replicates and is communicable by those who are vaccinated"?

8 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Has anyone closed their original account and received their second stimulus check yet? My ex and I closed our joint account in August and we haven't received it yet.

I means it's absurd to me that im receiving one, but when I checked the IRS page last week it said mine was scheduled to be mailed Jan 6. I clicked over to the FAQ and under, "Will I get a second economic impact payment?" It literally said "maybe." which is hilarious to see as an official IRS answer to anything. Further down it said it may take 3-4 weeks if your status is "mailed" 

16 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Where did you get that "the virus still incubates and replicates and is communicable by those who are vaccinated"?

I made it up like fox news.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know

Basically no one knows, and the only safe assumption without hard evidence proving otherwise is to assume that it now becomes a "common cold" at it's worst when vaccinated. 

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

I means it's absurd to me that im receiving one, but when I checked the IRS page last week it said mine was scheduled to be mailed Jan 6. I clicked over to the FAQ and under, "Will I get a second economic impact payment?" It literally said "maybe." which is hilarious to see as an official IRS answer to anything. Further down it said it may take 3-4 weeks if your status is "mailed" 

Thanks so it should be updated to "anytime" lol.

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

Basically no one knows, and the only safe assumption without hard evidence proving otherwise is to assume that it now becomes a "common cold" at it's worst when vaccinated. 

I think we just wait and stay careful but not fearful until we have the data. I am also hopeful, even confident, we will develop anti-virals in oral form like Tamiflu and Xofluza for influenza that can mitigate viral replication and minimize both symptoms/severity and transmission once sick. We have some incredible scientists around the world and if government red tape and greed can get out of their way, they can do amazing things.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Has anyone closed their original account and received their second stimulus check yet? My ex and I closed our joint account in August and we haven't received it yet.

First one was direct deposited. This one was mailed, we didn’t receive it until 2 weeks after the mail date on the irs site, and it’s a debit card. 

Edit: our Mail date was also 1/6 and we got it on Saturday 1/23.

Edited by Pato del Muerto

35 minutes ago, XYZ said:

As immamac says above, the correct answer is: we don't yet know.

Phase 3 trials have a large number of people (40,000 in the J+J trial).  In the Modera and Pfizer trials, after you got your 2nd shot, you would get periodic phone calls asking if you had symptoms.   This isn't going to catch people who got Covid-19, were asymptomatic, and their body fought it off (with the help of the vaccine).   In order to see if it the vaccines prevent you from ever catching it and shedding the virus, they would have to do constant monitoring.  Eventually someone will probably do that, but it doesn't scale for a phase 3 trial in a pandemic.    

The downside of not knowing is that even if you are vaccinated, it's still not safe to be around olds who haven't been vaccinated. 

To be clear, the science is not saying that vaccines do not prevent the spread of COVID-19 - so even if you are vaccinated please act like you are still able to spread it. 

Once we get hard data proving that it makes people not able to spread it that will be great. I hope for that day soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

So somebody educate me.

This guy has been very good in his covid coverage. He is the beat writer for the utah jazz and basically got shifted to covid coverage when the season got postponed last year. 

It's about as good of an explanation as I've found regarding the types of immunity and what we know (as of a couple weeks ago) 

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/01/14/can-vaccinated-people/

If it's behind a pay wall just open in a private tab. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

To be clear, the science is not saying that vaccines do not prevent the spread of COVID-19 - so even if you are vaccinated please act like you are still able to spread it. 

Once we get hard data proving that it makes people not able to spread it that will be great. I hope for that day soon.

We'll almost certainly be getting good data from Israel soon.  I believe they should be at or above 1/3 fully vaccinated by end of February

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I think that this is the right way to message it.  Stay the course with risk reduction measures (mask wearing and social distancing) until we have a strong grasp of the data. Once we loosen up those measures, the genie doesn't go back in the bottle.

3 hours ago, pops said:

This guy has been very good in his covid coverage. He is the beat writer for the utah jazz and basically got shifted to covid coverage when the season got postponed last year. 

It's about as good of an explanation as I've found regarding the types of immunity and what we know (as of a couple weeks ago) 

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/01/14/can-vaccinated-people/

If it's behind a pay wall just open in a private tab. 

So after you get covid-19 you produce IgA and IgG antibodies. We also know that the vaccine is food at making you produce IgG antibodies but they don’t know if it’s good at making you produce IgA antibodies. I guess my question is, doesn’t the antibody test tell you what type of antibody it finds? Why don't they do antibody tests on people a month after they were vaccinated and see if they find IgA?

Siap
Can someone explain the Veterans Affairs reported deaths from COVID? Is that from those in full time VA care? Retirement communities, mental health institutions, assisted living facilities? Does it also include any veteran who shows up to a VA hospital, admits, and then dies from COVID? Does it include veterans who admit to a non VA hospital and die from COVID? We’re nearing 9000 deaths reported by Veterans Affairs. I’m just curious if that is out of the 40,000 (from VA website) full time residents in VA facilities or including any veteran at any hospital/care facility. Difference would be 9,000/40,000 or 9,000 out of 4.5 million veterans.

702 cases in Travis County (down ~130 from last Tuesday. 84 admits (vs 114 last Tuesday).

Still over indexed in the 60+ groups which I do not like seeing.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 1/25 vs  vs 1/24 2 26 94 153 129 101 93 56 30 18 702
% of Daily Change 0.28% 3.70% 13.39% 21.79% 18.38% 14.39% 13.25% 7.98% 4.27% 2.56%  
% of Total Cases 0.58% 3.79% 9.82% 26.17% 20.91% 15.08% 11.44% 6.76% 3.26% 2.20%  

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

So after you get covid-19 you produce IgA and IgG antibodies. We also know that the vaccine is food at making you produce IgG antibodies but they don’t know if it’s good at making you produce IgA antibodies. I guess my question is, doesn’t the antibody test tell you what type of antibody it finds? Why don't they do antibody tests on people a month after they were vaccinated and see if they find IgA?

Good question. No clue. I think we will get more data as this progresses. We've only been vaccinating people here for about a month. Maybe that will be part of the research. 

As someone above said I think we are going to get great data from Isreal in the near future as they are killing it with their vaccination. 

No CR, but if I was in charge,  give the shot to everyone 65 and over. Protect those most vulnerable first then deal with everyone else. We need to stop the deaths.  I also get vaccinating doctors, nurses and staff to prevent sick days for those people to prevent not having people in the hospitals to treat the sick. Complicated problem. We will figure it out because we always do. 

Over 80 admits again today and 650 cases for Travis County. We have our third age cohort hit >10k cases with the 40 to 49 group joining the 20 to 29 & 30 to 39 cohorts in the >10k club.

Of concern is that folks >80 make up ~2x their normal share. I expect to see in upcoming weeks 8-11 deaths from today's cases

New Cases 1/27 vs  vs 1/26 3 42 98 144 103 86 74 47 26 27 650
% of Daily Change 0.46% 6.46% 15.08% 22.15% 15.85% 13.23% 11.38% 7.23% 4.00% 4.15%  
% of Total Cases 0.58% 3.81% 9.87% 26.13% 20.86% 15.06% 11.44% 6.76% 3.27% 2.22%