COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Setrac.org (27 counties in SE Texas; 9.5 million people) is now only updating the Covid stats once a week.  They used to update it daily.  The last update showed about 4.7% of ICU patients were confirmed or suspected for Covid.  Admittances were trending down.  

On 8/14/2022 at 8:14 PM, Deej said:

Had my fourth draw this week. The first two were 0.0 for natural antibodies. The second two were both less than one, but higher than zero. Don't know what that means. 

I think it means you don't have a ton of natural antibodies.  Isn't under 1.0 below range?  Mine are not much higher.  1.6 if I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

So the new bivariant booster -- any word on effectiveness against contracting Covid at all? Or is it all about hospitalization/death?

Searched for a bit and couldn't find any stats on efficacy. Would love to know if this keeps you from getting Covid or just keeps you from getting serious Covid.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So the new bivariant booster -- any word on effectiveness against contracting Covid at all? Or is it all about hospitalization/death?

Searched for a bit and couldn't find any stats on efficacy. Would love to know if this keeps you from getting Covid or just keeps you from getting serious Covid.

i dont think any of the studies on humans are complete yet.  From what i understand, they approved the variant booster similar to how they approve the strain of the Flu vax each year and did not go through the whole approval process like they would for a new drug.

1 minute ago, gyroprotagonist said:

i dont think any of the studies on humans are complete yet.  From what i understand, they approved the variant booster similar to how they approve the strain of the Flu vax each year and did not go through the whole approval process like they would for a new drug.

Boo. I guess I'll get it but would like to know if it makes me bulletproof. Likely wait until closer to the holidays or if there is a spike in cases.

My 7yo daughter's school is being shut down early today.  They are being released classroom by classroom so there's not too many of them gathered in case the area sweep wasn't sufficient and somebody's lurking with a rifle far away.  And they will walk past active-shutdown personnel.  Not by teachers or staff, but officers from 4 different local and state law enforcement agencies due to an active shooter threat made against her school.  This will shock the children and give them anxiety for months.  But I want to thank so many of you who worried that wearing a mask or getting a vaccine would do to our kids psychologically.  I salute your bravery and love of freedom.  And I walk in your fucking shadow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, just this week (only 2+ days old), kids starting displaying some symptoms and me (a hint).  Not covid for them.  I proabbly need to a do another test, but flu bug is circulating a bit earlier and mom/teacher text threads confirm.  Here we were planning a family flu shot round in October, but da fuh?  

8 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Anybody else have people in their orbit getting bad flu symptoms and negative covid test?

IOWS, is flu going around.

Austin areA.

Couple weeks ago my 16-year-old daughter had something that knocked her on her back.  It was flu-like with heavy fatigue and loss of appetite, but she never got fever, home tests were negative, and she was back to herself in about 24 hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

My 7yo daughter's school is being shut down early today.  They are being released classroom by classroom so there's not too many of them gathered in case the area sweep wasn't sufficient and somebody's lurking with a rifle far away.  And they will walk past active-shutdown personnel.  Not by teachers or staff, but officers from 4 different local and state law enforcement agencies due to an active shooter threat made against her school.  This will shock the children and give them anxiety for months.  But I want to thank so many of you who worried that wearing a mask or getting a vaccine would do to our kids psychologically.  I salute your bravery and love of freedom.  And I walk in your fucking shadow.  

Hey Lobo. Go fuck up some other thread.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

And you are the bravest of all, scarecrow.  ;)  Have some rep.  

Same lady that ripped off a mask from a teacher last year was the first one on site yesterday to complain about lack of teacher protocol during what was, at the time, considered to be an active shooter event.  It ended up being a vague threat, thankfully.  So I came to vent somewhere.  You're young, you'll somehow bounce back from all this hookit.  Or don't.  This isn't real life on here you know.  

Edited by YGIFS

On 9/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, YGIFS said:

Tell your kids to stay off Tik Tok so that stupid shit (tik tok challenge fake shooter threats that happened all over the state yesterday) doesn't keep happening.  

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Couple weeks ago my 16-year-old daughter had something that knocked her on her back.  It was flu-like with heavy fatigue and loss of appetite, but she never got fever, home tests were negative, and she was back to herself in about 24 hours. 

Got back from Labor Day weekend dove hunt and had been fighting a cold (negative COVID test), had some mucus that was almost orange so I was worried I was about to get pneumonia again.   That goes away on Monday (Labor Day).  That night, I come down with a fever of 101.8 and have it for damn near precisely 24 hours.  Couldn't eat (couldn't really taste anything), super fatigued, body aching.  No COVID.  No Flu.  No fucking clue.  Went to work Wednesday morning tired.   

Thanks for the pro tip, dude.  She's 7.  She doesn't know what Tik Tok is nor has she ever used a smartphone.  We've shown her how to dial mom, dad, and 911.  That's it.  Was just a weird day, there actually was a staffer at our school going through some shit with an Ex who she has a restraining order against so they had to take the threat extra serious.  And then the fucking Covid mask-ripping mom from last year shows up at pickup to berate cops and staff who were trying to do a peaceful early pickup so as not to traumatize the kids.  Just a fucking sad comedy of errors, to your point...compounded with this social media/hoax shit.  But I guess it's the new normal.  We let the stupid people feel empowered so now we gotta ride that out. 

It did remind me to remind my mom to get her second booster for Covid.  There's been a slight uptick in hospitalizations/deaths for over 65 and she's in Chicago where the flu season starts earlier than here.  And she has so many co-morbidities.  Hopefully this new strain-specific booster will help her.  But we still don't know much about it, but either way---I'm making damn sure she gets it.

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Thanks for the pro tip, dude.  She's 7.  She doesn't know what Tik Tok is nor has she ever used a smartphone.  We've shown her how to dial mom, dad, and 911.  That's it.  Was just a weird day, there actually was a staffer at our school going through some shit with an Ex who she has a restraining order against so they had to take the threat extra serious.  And then the fucking Covid mask-ripping mom from last year shows up at pickup to berate cops and staff who were trying to do a peaceful early pickup so as not to traumatize the kids.  Just a fucking sad comedy of errors, to your point...compounded with this social media/hoax shit.  But I guess it's the new normal.  We let the stupid people feel empowered so now we gotta ride that out. 

It did remind me to remind my mom to get her second booster for Covid.  There's been a slight uptick in hospitalizations/deaths for over 65 and she's in Chicago where the flu season starts earlier than here.  And she has so many co-morbidities.  Hopefully this new strain-specific booster will help her.  But we still don't know much about it, but either way---I'm making damn sure she gets it.

Wasn't specifically speaking to you about your 7 year old and her Phone navigational skills.  It was moreso an extra warning to all of us parents to be weary of bullshit like TikTok and this fucking growing society of avant garde social narcissism.  

can I take "avant garde social narcissism" for my band name?  Yeah, social media for my daughters in a few years is a whole nother bucket of nightmare fuel.  For now, we're still making up lost ground on Covid.  I'm worried she's having some long-term respiratory effects.  And her last pediatric visit seemed to confirm a bit of that.  

What I'm seriously concerned about though is upticks up north in 65+ populations.  I figured we'd get there again in November, but not mid-September.  This is a Texas-specific thread, so I'll throw it back to y'all.  But I do wonder what this Winter/Flu Season holds in store for our Lone Star Seniors?  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

And you are the bravest of all, scarecrow.  ;)  Have some rep.  

Same lady that ripped off a mask from a teacher last year was the first one on site yesterday to complain about lack of teacher protocol during what was, at the time, considered to be an active shooter event.  It ended up being a vague threat, thankfully.  So I came to vent somewhere.  You're young, you'll somehow bounce back from all this hookit.  Or don't.  This isn't real life on here you know.  

You came to vent about an active shooter on the Texas Covid thread? Good job. You fucked this site up for days when you left because imma had to pull every one of your old posts. Maybe stop posting and save him the trouble this time.

Edited by justhookit
  • Haha 1

Yeah, he and I talked about it a few times.  It was a technical error that neither of us could control.  But it was a necessary scrub and he handled it brilliantly.  So what I recommend is you keep whining about it.  You seem really good at that.  Scroll past my posts or have me banned, one thing i don't do is incessantly bitch and moan about other posters.  Seems to be your skillset.  

^

Yeah, that shit is fascinating.  Read another paper about it last week.  I don't get it.  I know I had Covid-19 earlier this year.  Not hypocondriac version but whole family had it, a week later I popped a test positive after chills, extreme nausea, hacking, etc.  But 4 TexCares draws and a private study later, I show absolutely no natural antibodies whatsoever.  Not even for other seasonal virus (private bloodwork).  My PCP was even confused as to how I don't die from influenza.  I got a second booster but that was way after my family were all walking dead with it for a week this past Winter.  I know it misses some people and I'm thankful I haven't had it apparently.  But now my PCP and bloodwork lab want to bring me back in for more tests because not only did I miss it, I seem to have a bizarre profile given my blood type and co-morbidities.  Literally looks like I picked the right year to quit drinkin'.  /LloydMcCroskey

• 1 year later...

Tested positive for RSV yesterday.  I'm 61.  It is hitting me pretty hard.  It put me flat on my back for a couple of days with some very painful coughing/hacking, congestion, etc.  Feel a little bit better today and am hopefully over the hump.  Doc said no medication would help.  Just over the counter stuff and let it run its course.  The internets seem to say the same thing.  If anyone has any tricks that worked, I'm listening.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Tested positive for RSV yesterday.  I'm 61.  It is hitting me pretty hard.  It put me flat on my back for a couple of days with some very painful coughing/hacking, congestion, etc.  Feel a little bit better today and am hopefully over the hump.  Doc said no medication would help.  Just over the counter stuff and let it run its course.  The internets seem to say the same thing.  If anyone has any tricks that worked, I'm listening.

I had Covid in Oct then RSV in Dec.  Covid diagnosed via home test, RSV at urgent care because I thought I had caught strep from one of my kids.  Kids in elementary school are superb disease vectors.

RSV hit me way harder than Covid.  

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Norwegian Breakfast (coffee w/ vodka and 2 cigarettes).

But seriously, Mucinex DM. Don’t go for the Fast Max, it’s a gimmick with a lower dose of both Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin.

Shit, I've been a fool.  Thanks for this.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:33 AM, Incredulity said:

RSV at urgent care

Just FYI, RSV rapids can be done for kids under 7 and some can be done on adults over 60. If you are an adult under 60 getting a rapid RSV at a clinic, then the clinic is risking a CLIA (lab accreditation) no-no.  

Younger son has covid.  He probably caught it at the UT-Houston basketball game.  Good news is that I drove him around a bit two days later.  So far no symptoms for me, but he's got a killer headache, moderate fever, and intermittent gut issues.

I really don't want to get this thing . . . again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Just FYI, RSV rapids can be done for kids under 7 and some can be done on adults over 60. If you are an adult under 60 getting a rapid RSV at a clinic, then the clinic is risking a CLIA (lab accreditation) no-no.  

Wasn’t a rapid test.  They sent diagnosis next day.

They tested me for strep, covid, flu and rsv.  Only strep test was rapid.

• Like 1

My whole household had RSV from the week before Christmas until early January. We didn't even have family Christmas with my Mother until January 8th. The doctor put us on a z-pack and prednisone to keep from having a secondary infection and let it run its course.

CHIEF

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

My whole household had RSV from the week before Christmas until early January. We didn't even have family Christmas with my Mother until January 8th. The doctor put us on a z-pack and prednisone to keep from having a secondary infection and let it run its course.

CHIEF

I'm surprised actually at how hard this is beating me up.  No fever but coughing, sore throat, hacking up crap, headache and very fucking tired.

2 hours ago, smwhorn said:

I'm surprised actually at how hard this is beating me up.  No fever but coughing, sore throat, hacking up crap, headache and very fucking tired.

CHIEF Jr. had a mild sore throat. The only common symptom was like bronchitis, chest congestion with coughing up shit. If we would have had an empty swimming pool, we could have filled it with mucus and spit.

CHIEF

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Friend of ours is in the ICU today (stabilized an she’ll be ok). Started with a respiratory virus, turned to pneumonia.

Yup, son's girlfriend is on antibiotics for pneumonia.  Seems to be getting better.  Son has covid, no idea if that's what started her downhill slide.