Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

21 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I love what Deion has done for Colorado. Hopefully, it will be sustainable over time. I don’t see him going to the NFL as he loves mentoring to that age group. This is fun. Would love to see them beat USC as Riley has always had suspect defenses. Hoping that game will be fun.  as far as CSU, why not try and spar prior to the game? This is good for the sport imo. 

20 hours ago, txhorns said:

Deion does not care about mentoring to these kids, he cares about his kids.  He is there to help increase the profile of his own kids.  Once they have graduated  he will be gone from Colorado.

Meh, he's somewhere in the middle. He has always been first and foremost about promoting himself, and his kids by extension. Remember when he said his purpose was to raise the profile of HBCU's in football then bailed after just a few years for a P5 job? Doesn't mean he was a bad teammate or a bad coach or that he doesn't care about his other players. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He's no saint who is in this to mentor kids, but I don't doubt he wants his players to succeed both on and off the field. His approach to motivate his players through drama and conflict rubs a lot of people the wrong way, myself included to some extent. I really think it's going to backfire on him soon and he'll either soften or change the approach or double down and go off the rails. Way more likely its the former, in my opinion. I was a kids raised as a Cowboys fan in the 90s so I have plenty of love for Deion. He's also the one who had dinner with Dez Bryant which got him disqualified for an entire season. I still blame the NCAA way more but Deion should have at least looked up some rules to avoid even the possibility of getting Dez in any trouble. Kind of rambling there, but I guess I just hate extremes. I find this whole thing fascinating though and am interested to see how he handles his first big loss. 

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. College football has always had big personalities and outlandish nonsense. Catholics versus Convicts. Brian Bosworth. The turnover chain. Spurrier's trash talk. 

And if anyone wants to bemoan what he is doing to the college game, I hope they look first at what bullshit television and money has done to the sport to where literally 100-year-old conferences are torn down overnight to where UCLA is now in a conference with Rutgers.

At least Deion gives me something I care about watching. 

Oh definitely there's a history to it. In the NFL you had Buddy Ryan versus Jimmy Johnson and a bunch of others as well. But to be honest I never liked those and I don't like this either. It's just not my thing. If I want theatrics I'll watch movies or pro wrestling. I watch football to actually watch the damn football not to hear a bunch of idiots run their mouth. The game is the greatest on Earth and a true fan of the game doesn't need extracurricular bullshit to enjoy it. 

Spurrier and Bosworth and Buddy Ryan were all just as big of buffoons as Deion is, and they eventually went by the wayside when they stopped winning. The only thing that matters in this sport is winning. 

Agreed with the above. We just see it more now because of the 24/7 news reporting and social media. But sports has always had theatrics. It's just now the players and coaches have more of a voice with how often they are interviewed, podcasts, appearances, their social medias. I enjoy it sometimes. I don't get consumed in all the day to day stuff leading up to games like I used to but it's fun to follow at times.

You had Jimmy Johnson in the early 90s tell the media to print it in big letters that they will beat SF in the playoffs. You have had brash personalities going back to the 70s in all sports.

My problem with Deion at Colorado specifically comes from how he treated the players at the school when he took over.  He treated them like dogshit.  They were terrible players who he needed to purge but he could have at least been a decent human being to them.  In some cases he was intentionally hurting their chances at getting opportunities elsewhere.  That is why I say that he is not in this to mentor young male adults.  The only players who matter to him are the ones who can help him win.  He’s not unlike most college head coaches in that manner but this is a thread dedicated to him.

I don’t care for all of his antics and his current victim mentality with his team but since I’m not a Colorado fan my opinion on that does not matter.  I do find it funny that people on here made fun of the aggy players for showing up to SEC media days wearing sunglasses indoors but then turn around and defend Deion for doing the same thing.  Opposing coaches who even bring up his name or the Colorado program are idiots at this point.  While none of them have been demeaning so far, it is clear that Deion is going to take anything said and twist it into an insult to be used as motivation for his players.  Why give him that ammo?

• Fuck You 2

27 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

It's your prerogative, but if you are going to gloat, don't be mealy-mouthed about it. Say it with your chest.

I’m not being mealy mouthed. I’m being a dick

plus this ain’t over.  They will be dogs in at least five games

Edited by closetohumping

12 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Shedeur Sanders is a legit top level P5 QB.  How many more years of eligibility does he have?  It will be interesting to see a Deion team without his son at QB.  If they can recruit a replacement look out because he going to continue to stack depth everywhere else.

Shedeur is eligible for the draft after this year.  I hope he sticks around for one more.

9 minutes ago, txhorns said:

My problem with Deion at Colorado specifically comes from how he treated the players at the school when he took over.  He treated them like dogshit.  They were terrible players who he needed to purge but he could have at least been a decent human being to them.  In some cases he was intentionally hurting their chances at getting opportunities elsewhere.  That is why I say that he is not in this to mentor young male adults.  The only players who matter to him are the ones who can help him win.  He’s not unlike most college head coaches in that manner but this is a thread dedicated to him.

I don’t care for all of his antics and his current victim mentality with his team but since I’m not a Colorado fan my opinion on that does not matter.  I do find it funny that people on here made fun of the aggy players for showing up to SEC media days wearing sunglasses indoors but then turn around and defend Deion for doing the same thing.  Opposing coaches who even bring up his name or the Colorado program are idiots at this point.  While none of them have been demeaning so far, it is clear that Deion is going to take anything said and twist it into an insult to be used as motivation for his players.  Why give him that ammo?

College football is big business, if you weren't aware.  I'm sure feelings were hurt, but we don't have time for that.  Every major college program operates in a similar fashion (the winners do, anyway), you just don't see it on Youtube.

11 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Most of those players would’ve left Colorado for a better program or more pt if they had a chance 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Most of those players would’ve left Colorado for a better program or more pt if they had a chance 

Exactly.  First they are adults, and they were dog shit and their dog shit was on film for every coach to see that they were worthless.  They had no where else to go and their free ride at Colorado was over, and it was all that asshole Sanders fault.  Easy to notice how none of the coaches that didn't think a purge was the correct path weren't there to scoop up these poor mistreated kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I honestly think the Prime Prep Academy stink still lingers for some folks and colors opinions on his motives and ethics. By all accounts he's a great guy and cares about kids, etc. but that old saying about how you can be a great guy for 20 years and do 1 thing and you are always known as that 1 thing, I think is at play.

Full Disclosure: A family friend had a kid (and to be fair, the kid was a punk and n'erdowell) go to Prime Prep in Dallas and it was an unmitigated disaster that I got to see second-hand. Lots of folks in Dallas remember and remember it as pure grift and hanging kids out to dry.

anyone who knows anything about prime prep or had anything to do with that school knows what a shitshow it was.

as far as i know zero classes from prime prep ever were accepted by the NCAA clearinghouse for students, they stopped paying the IRS, they had their TEA charter yanked, they didn't pay a TON of people when it closed - top to bottom including teachers and they never were able to play as a UIL school.

they fucked over a TON of kids, teachers and parents on the way out.

the stink should stick on deion until the end of time. if it carries your name, literally as the name of the school, you have a pretty high level of responsibility to make sure it isn't a disaster of that level.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Correct.

Most of the real talent left after the 2021 season.

All he did in that meet was challenge them and some chose to bolt and 10 survived.  The starting safety Trevor Woods (from Katy, TX) was one of the 10 and had a pick in the endzone against TCU

1 minute ago, NoName said:

anyone who knows anything about prime prep or had anything to do with that school knows what a shitshow it was.

as far as i know zero classes from prime prep ever were accepted by the NCAA clearinghouse for students, they stopped paying the IRS, they had their TEA charter yanked, they didn't pay a TON of people when it closed - top to bottom including teachers and they never were able to play as a UIL school.

they fucked over a TON of kids, teachers and parents on the way out.

the stink should stick on deion until the end of time. if it carries your name, literally as the name of the school, you have a pretty high level of responsibility to make sure it isn't a disaster of that level.

Yep. That's the more graphic version of what I was implying-- Deion screwed over a lot of folks, wittingly or unwittingly, and Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

Maybe it wasn't an active or purposeful thing, but like you said, his name and likeness was the marketing and on the building. No different than Trump University.

• Hook 'Em 1

In what world are college coaches doing what you want Deion to do?

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I've gotten dozens of negs in this thread.  Lots of panties wadded up over the thought that a former Confederate state might still have lots of racist people in it.  Crazy thought, I know...

lol, because Colorado was lily white in this whole thing. from literally a two second google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory_in_the_American_Civil_War

image.png.a2b812cd188b38cae7dfe8914ec2700a.png

this whole thing is dumb. stop saying dumb shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

You seriously think Deion doesn't know he has to win for this to keep working?  #1 2025 QB in the country (Bryce Underwood) will be in Boulder for tomorrow's game.  That's how you keep it working.  Buffs don't have to go undefeated for this season to be a huge success for him.  A bowl game does that.

it would be pretty shocking if Bryce Underwood went anywhere but Michigan just based on visits.

image.thumb.png.a2d4e0fc16124e5ca334d24024e7a1e2.png

keep in mind that OVs are now unlimited as of June or July. so why not take a trip, see what's going on.

he ain't going to Colorado.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Some here thought he’d be 0-2 by now

mean girls raise hand GIF

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

it would be pretty shocking if Bryce Underwood went anywhere but Michigan just based on visits.

image.thumb.png.a2d4e0fc16124e5ca334d24024e7a1e2.png

keep in mind that OVs are now unlimited as of June or July. so why not take a trip, see what's going on.

he ain't going to Colorado.

People said the same about Cormani.  Where did he end up?  I'm not saying they get Underwood for sure, but the fact that he's seen what is going on in Boulder and wants to check it out for himself is a very good thing for the Buffs.  Prime has said his phone is ringing off the hook with players calling him wanting to play for the Buffs.  I hope a lot of them are OL and DL.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

People said the same about Cormani.  Where did he end up?  I'm not saying they get Underwood for sure, but the fact that he's seen what is going on in Boulder and wants to check it out for himself is a very good thing for the Buffs.  Prime has said his phone is ringing off the hook with players calling him wanting to play for the Buffs.  I hope a lot of them are OL and DL.

if you don't see the difference between Travis Hunter or Cormani McClain (both defensive players and CBs) vs the #1 QB in a class, top 5 overall player who has visited one school 10x on his own dime (that school was the 3rd to offer him btw) - idk what to tell you. he's a class of 25 guy so there is no hurry.

CU offered him in January and he didn't talk to Sanders at all until last week.

as someone who follows recruiting much, much more closely than you: he isn't going to be attending college in Boulder.

Edited by NoName

1 minute ago, NoName said:

if you don't see the difference between Travis Hunter or Cormani McClain (both defensive players and CBs) vs the #1 QB in a class, top 5 overall player who has visited one school 10x on his own dime (that school was the 3rd to offer him btw) - idk what to tell you. he's a class of 25 guy so there is no hurry.

CU offered him in January and he didn't talk to Sanders at all until last week.

as someone who follows recruiting much, much more closely than you: he isn't going to be attending college in Boulder.

If you don't see what is happening in Boulder right now, idk what to tell you.  Underwood is just a small part of it.

57 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Exactly.  First they are adults, and they were dog shit and their dog shit was on film for every coach to see that they were worthless.  They had no where else to go and their free ride at Colorado was over, and it was all that asshole Sanders fault.  Easy to notice how none of the coaches that didn't think a purge was the correct path weren't there to scoop up these poor mistreated kids.

Read somewhere most of them left well before Deion was about to let them go. Not saying Deion is a saint

Just now, Chewbacca said:

If you don't see what is happening in Boulder right now, idk what to tell you.  Underwood is just a small part of it.

my guy they have played a soft schedule so far and that only gets worse Saturday.

Bryce Underwood will absolutely totally and completely not be attending class at Colorado as a freshman. It's cool you think he will, but he won't.

i have outlined the issues that they have, and will direct you there:

the tl;dr - literally any drop in offensive effectiveness/success rate, any increase in turnover rate (currently 0 basically), any decrease in explosive play rate, any team that slows down - not shuts down, slows down - the run, any team that can run even halfway decently means they are fucked.

they have to go toe to toe against any decent offense (they just gave up 340 yards to a baaaaad Nebraska team that threw for like 100 yards total in a game they trailed 13-0 at the half. they punted 4 drives in a row against a not great Nebraska defense then couldn't do shit on the next drive even though they got the ball in the red zone after a fumble. the next drive they got the ball at the 30 and threw for a TD.

against a not great defense they won 36-14. keep in mind they got 17 points off of turnovers. they got another 7 points off of nebraska turning it over on downs at midfield.

their offense is 100% absolutely not sustainable - sorry but that's the truth.

C1IxeIjh

they are a BAD p5 rushing team on offense 113th in the country out of 130 teams. their defense is BAD against the run. their defense is BAD against the pass - its #90 of 130 in the country on success rate allowed overall. the #74 FEI defense had a havoc rate of in the 84th percentile against them.

so sure, maybe they keep this up all year. maybe they are able to thread every single needle that exists in front of them - efficiency, road games, injuries, scheme adjustments they have to make later on in the season, players stepping up, Travis Hunter playing the most snaps in modern history without getting any injury or slow down at all, the lack of depth not biting them at any position, not getting fucked in a single weather game (in November they play at Boulder, Pullman and SLC), and hitting on every single recruit they are after.

you just keep believing its going to be some kind of black swan event and they will learn how to avoid every single potential adverse event over the next like 5 months.

jep12847-fig-0002-m.jpg

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Huh? Travis Hunter was the #1 player in his class and Deion got him to play FCS ball. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think the Norvell/Deion back and forth was orchestrated by both to get even more attention/talking points about this game. It gets both of their teams fired up. Deion's team is now fired up to play well for their coach and Norvell's players are now fired up to be the ones to knock them off first. It's a win/win for both teams. Colorado State are huge underdogs and really have nothing to lose. And I don't think it is really poking the bear with Colorado as they aren't hibernating at all. They have a clear mission to win every game they can and ride this wave. I can't see them losing any game because of the fact they weren't ready to go and unprepared. 

Not everything is a conspiracy. No way Deion went along with the idea of a white man criticizing the way he looks, how he dresses himself, and implies that he’s immature. A child. A “boy,” if you will.

What possible motive would Deion have to take part in that? Fox Big Noon Kickoff has already been to both of his games and they’ll be back again on Saturday. This week ESPN is coming too. He’s on 60 Minutes this week. He’s got the media coverage down. Do you think Deion called Norvell to suggest he insult him? Or do you think Norvell called Deion and Deion said yeah, that’s a great idea, I need the press? Sure Jay, give me an excuse to run up the score on your team. That’s a brilliant idea.

You suggested it would get Colorado fired up and then said they’re on a mission and you don’t see them losing a game because they weren’t ready to go. So you already know they don’t need a contrived insult to get them up for the game. No, Norvell said something stupid and gave them bulletin board material. Deion just did what any coach would do. It wasn’t orchestrated. It’s just what it appears to be. 

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think the Norvell/Deion back and forth was orchestrated by both to get even more attention/talking points about this game. It gets both of their teams fired up. Deion's team is now fired up to play well for their coach and Norvell's players are now fired up to be the ones to knock them off first. It's a win/win for both teams. Colorado State are huge underdogs and really have nothing to lose. And I don't think it is really poking the bear with Colorado as they aren't hibernating at all. They have a clear mission to win every game they can and ride this wave. I can't see them losing any game because of the fact they weren't ready to go and unprepared. 

If you mean orchestrated individually, I could maybe see that. But them doing it together? No way. Norvell is nowhere on Deion’s radar. When he said he didn’t know him personally, I fully believe that. 

Now, I could see a situation where Norvell was trying to get some attention on his team because I fully believe media in Colorado is 200% focused on CU and has left CSU in the dust, but that’s also part of CSU’s own doing. And as we saw, Norvell is terrible compared to Deion. 

First Take was there this morning, and so was Pat McAfee with The Rock. The Rock is the guest picker tomorrow. I can see Norvell being mad because no one is there because of CSU. 

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

He let go a small % of player's. Most of them quit.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Lincoln Riley already done made it personal with his bull junk. We just don't know what bull junk it was yet.

He's dropped "bull junk" on us twice. It's become part of the lexicon. I've already used it multiple times. I had forgotten just how entertaining he could be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

If you mean orchestrated individually, I could maybe see that. But them doing it together? No way. Norvell is nowhere on Deion’s radar. When he said he didn’t know him personally, I fully believe that. 

Now, I could see a situation where Norvell was trying to get some attention on his team because I fully believe media in Colorado is 200% focused on CU and has left CSU in the dust, but that’s also part of CSU’s own doing. And as we saw, Norvell is terrible compared to Deion. 

First Take was there this morning, and so was Pat McAfee with The Rock. The Rock is the guest picker tomorrow. I can see Norvell being mad because no one is there because of CSU. 

He's gonna get blown out anyway. He made the comments to appeal to the CSU boosters in attendance who clapped like goons because if you can't beat 'em, you can always make yourself feel morally superior to 'em

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Meh, he's somewhere in the middle. He has always been first and foremost about promoting himself, and his kids by extension. Remember when he said his purpose was to raise the profile of HBCU's in football then bailed after just a few years for a P5 job? Doesn't mean he was a bad teammate or a bad coach or that he doesn't care about his other players. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He's no saint who is in this to mentor kids, but I don't doubt he wants his players to succeed both on and off the field. His approach to motivate his players through drama and conflict rubs a lot of people the wrong way, myself included to some extent. I really think it's going to backfire on him soon and he'll either soften or change the approach or double down and go off the rails. Way more likely its the former, in my opinion. I was a kids raised as a Cowboys fan in the 90s so I have plenty of love for Deion. He's also the one who had dinner with Dez Bryant which got him disqualified for an entire season. I still blame the NCAA way more but Deion should have at least looked up some rules to avoid even the possibility of getting Dez in any trouble. Kind of rambling there, but I guess I just hate extremes. I find this whole thing fascinating though and am interested to see how he handles his first big loss. 

Says the poster who celebrates the coach who threw the bitchiest, drama-queen meltdown of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Enjoy GameDay tomorrow. If that doesn't do it for you, I'm quite sure Mark Jones will on the pxp. He's a beating on a normal broadcast, can't imagine what's in store tomorrow. 

Jones is awful. I didn’t know who Louis Riddick was but I caught the two of them doing the Wisconsin - WSU game. Riddick is no prize either. That was just brutal. 

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
15 hours ago, ztejas said:
Huh? Travis Hunter was the #1 player in his class and Deion got him to play FCS ball. 

And Cormani was also the #1 player (or maybe #1 defender, I don't remember) in his class and Prime got him to come to 1-11 CU. But sure, CU has no shot with Underwood.

Lol you really are this dumb about recruiting. 

Ok.

He has no shot at the number 1 player in a class who is a qb, not a CB, who has visited one school more than almost every other school combined, who lives twenty miles from that school, who is set to earn a ton of NIL money at that schools program, and who didnt talk to sanders until last week.

cornerbacks getting recruited by one of the best defensive backs of all time is one thing. 

This isn't complex. Come join us in the real world. This isn't a deion thing or a Colorado thing or a boulder thing it's a recruiting thing.

• Hook 'Em 1