Michigan overthrow attempt/kidnapping of governor thwarted

ztejas

“At the time, the FBI interviewed a member of the militia group who was concerned about the group’s plans to target and kill police officers, and that person agreed to become a (confidential source),” the agent wrote

Cops are really getting it from all sides nowadays. Damn.

Welp, couldn't help myself.  Googled the two most unique names on the list and both popped up with confederate flags. 

I didn't realize the Boogaloo Boys have already killed two law enforcement officials.  And surely had they attempted this kidnapping, it would have resulted in a few more deaths via firefight.  These guys know they'll never be allowed to buy a gun for the rest of their lives, right?  Assuming they all don't die in federal prison.  

But we're not gonna condemn or denounce them on TV though, right?  I mean, we wouldn't want to offend anyone who may agree with them, right?

Who knew those videos of militias screaming into cops' faces with automatic rifles at the Michigan Capitol a few months back wasn't going to end well?  

"What do you wanna call them?  Give me a name!  Who would you like me to condemn?" 

Uh---start with "Garbin"...because he goes by only one name, I'm assuming he's the leader.  Then condemn "Adam Fox, Barry Croft, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris, and Brandon Caserta."  I know they'll say they shouldn't be called out by name because it might taint their trial.  But they had a cache of weapons and detailed plans to kidnap and likely torture a sitting U.S. Governor.  They're fucked anyway, may as well make examples out of 'em.  

Edited by Lobo

I thought about it as I typed it, but then thought nah...that's the term you use to describe a currently serving elected official.  This thread is gonna get so heated, nobody's gonna notice.  

But then I forgot...Surly gonna Surly.  Pos rep.  

Back on topic, reading through the FBI affidavit it's fucking nuts how serious these crazies were. Highlights Lowlights from the affidavit below:

9. As reported by CHS-2 and confirmed by the FBI, the militia group periodically meets for field training exercises (“FTX”)2 on private property in remote areas of Michigan, where they engage in firearms training and tactical drills.3 CHS-2 told the FBI that, at a FTX on June 14, 2020, one of the founders of the militia group said he had been introduced to FOX. During that exercise, the militia group leadership had a call with FOX, who invited them to meet at his business in Grand Rapids, Michigan, later in the week.

10. FOX, in coordination with CROFT, met with members of the militia group at various times in June 2020. During one such meeting on June 18, 2020, which was audio recorded by CHS-2, FOX, militia group leadership, including Michigan resident Ty GARBIN, and CHS-2 met at a Second Amendment rally at the State Capitol in Lansing, Michigan. In an effort to recruit more members for the operation, FOX told GARBIN and CHS-2 he planned to attack the Capitol and asked them to combine forces.

12. On June 20, 2020, FOX, GARBIN, and several other individuals, including CHS2, met at FOX’s business in Grand Rapids. As part of FOX’s operational security, the attendees met in the basement of the shop, which was accessed through a trap door hidden under a rug on the main floor. FOX collected all of their cellular phones in a box and carried them upstairs to prevent any monitoring. CHS-2 was wearing a recording device, however, and captured the audio from the meeting. The attendees discussed plans for assaulting the Michigan State Capitol, countering law enforcement first responders, and using “Molotov cocktails” to destroy police vehicles. The attendees also discussed plans for an additional meeting during the first weekend of July when they also would conduct firearms and tactical training

13. On June 25, 2020, FOX live-streamed a video to a private Facebook group that included CHS-2, in which he complained about the judicial system and the State of Michigan controlling the opening of gyms. FOX referred to Governor Whitmer as “this tyrant bitch,” and stated, “I don’t know, boys, we gotta do something. You guys link with me on our other location system, give me some ideas of what we can do.” The video was preserved by the FBI.

15. Over the weekend of July 10-12, 2020, FOX, CROFT, GARBIN, FRANKS, CASERTA, CHS-2, and others attended a FTX in Cambria, Wisconsin. Attendees participated in firearms training and other combat drills. On July 11, at the exercise, CROFT and a member of the militia group attempted to construct an improvised explosive device (“IED”), using black powder, balloons, a fuse, and BBs for shrapnel. CROFT, GARBIN and the militia group member attempted to make a second IED using similar components. The construction of the devices was faulty, and they did not detonate as planned. CHS-2 provided FBI with video of the event. FRANKS also brought and fired a rifle with a silencer at the exercise. Attendees shared photos and video recordings of the exercise in Facebook discussions that included CHS-2.

23. On July 26, 2020, FOX told CHS-2 that he had not heard back from the “baker,” which the CHS understood to mean an explosives manufacturer. FOX told the CHS that he thought it might be better to focus on the vacation home and summer residence as potential targets. FOX also said, “Maybe we should just make a bunch of cupcakes and send them out,” in an apparent reference to a more widespread bombing campaign. CHS-2 understood these code words and phrases because the group often used such language when talking about explosives.

27. Over the weekend of September 12-13, 2020, FOX, CROFT, GARBIN, FRANKS, HARRIS, CASERTA, CHS-2, a UCE, and another individual attended a FTX at GARBIN’s property in Luther, Michigan. The location is approximately an hour and a half from the vacation home. CHS-2 and the UCE audio recorded the meetings and exercise. CROFT brought what he referred to as his “chemistry set,” which included components for an IED. According to CHS-2, CROFT constructed an IED by removing the cap from a commercial firework, adding additional black powder, and wrapping the device in pennies and electrical tape as shrapnel. During the exercise, the group set the device in a clearing surrounded by human silhouette targets, and CROFT detonated it to test its anti-personnel effectiveness.

28. At the exercise, FOX took aside CROFT, GARBIN, FRANKS, CASERTA, CHS2, two UCEs, and four other people. FOX briefed them on the plan to kidnap Governor Whitmer, and he told them about his first surveillance of the property. FOX selected CROFT, GARBIN, FRANKS, the CHS, the UCEs, and the four other people, to conduct a nighttime surveillance of the vacation home in preparation for the kidnapping. HARRIS, CASERTA, and another individual remained at the camp in Luther. HARRIS became aware of the surveillance the next day, and he expressed regret that he had not participated in the surveillance operation.

37. On September 14, 2020, FOX posted in the group’s encrypted chat that he did not want the exercise to be the last week in October because it would leave insufficient time to execute the kidnapping before the national election on November 3, 2020. The group agreed to use the time until the final training exercise to raise money for explosives and other supplies.

39. On September 30, 2020, FOX called CHS-2 on the phone and CHS-2 recorded the conversation. During the call, FOX discussed purchasing a taser for use in the kidnapping operation. FOX also told CHS-2 that CROFT, GARBIN, HARRIS, FRANKS, CASERTA, and others were aware of the $4,000 cost. On October 2, 2020, FOX confirmed he purchased an 800,000 volt taser in an encrypted chat message with CHS-2.

@Cajun you are trying to "both sides" an elected governor enacting public health policy, and a militia terrorist group that goes innawoods to practice tactical shooting drills, practice building IED's, and practice kidnapping said governor. This is unabomber type shit. Oklahoma City type shit. 

White extremists plotting to "make a bunch of cupcakes and send them out" in a widespread bombing campaign is pretty fucking indefensible, my dude.

Edited by Captainant
edit for accuracy
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Cajun's first reaction to the news that an armed militia is attempting to overthrow a state government is to point out that the governor of the state is basically the same thing as the domestic terrorists plotting to commit treason and that she really had it coming.

Totally normal.

Cajun vs. Surly Horns

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Semi-hot politician chicks are my wheelhouse.

I'd give AoC a few bills to meet me in the bathroom if you know what I'm sayin.

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Cajun's first reaction to the news that an armed militia is attempting to overthrow a state government is to point out that the governor of the state is basically the same thing as the domestic terrorists plotting to commit treason and that she really had it coming.

Totally normal.

Thank you.

We call these people terrorists.  That's what they are. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Totally normal.

And, yet, that wasn’t what I said at all.

But you do you brother

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Semi-hot politician chicks are my wheelhouse.

My BIL went to high school with her. Said her nickname was Stretchin Gretchen because she would only let guys fuck her in the ass.... Take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed the story. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

You started a political thread and then demand no politics.
That's about right for DT.

There’s a thread in the CR where you can discuss the political aspects of this NEWS story involving homegrown terrorists.

Maybe see if you can focus on the apolitical aspects of this story here.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Juicy said:

My BIL went to high school with her. Said her nickname was Stretchin Gretchen because she would only let guys fuck her in the ass.... Take it with a grain of salt, but I enjoyed the story. 

She goes by Big Gretch now.  Wonder why. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We get it. Everything is polticial to you. You're right about everything. There's no middle ground. 

So, if we make jokes about the aggy football coach's ex-wife fucking the tennis team, do we have to put it in the "Other Sports" forum, instead of the football forum?

[NO POLITICS!!!ONE!!!ELEVENTY!!!!]
not like a key motivation for these terrorists was politics or anything

Chicken sandwich has nowhere else he can make his drive by political posts. It’s a shame though because I have a really good retort but it would violate DT rules.

23 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Username checks out.

33 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Well i like her a hole heck of a lot better now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

A group of armed white dudes is always a militia but black dudes are thugs or gangs and muslims are terrorists? Hitler's militia tried to over throw the Munich government in 1923?

When I hear ‘militia’ it never conjures feelings of patriotism or just causes.   ‘Crazy’ is all that really comes to mind.

It's really not hard.

Not particularly political:

"a bunch of anarchist militia members plotted to kidnap and overthrow the Michigan governor because they didn't like her politics."

Polital:

"A bunch of mouth breathing Trump voters..."

"The Governor of Michigan is such an extremist that a bunch of Patriots got out of hand and..."

It's amazing that a bunch of supposedly smart people are unable to tell the difference.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

A group of armed white dudes is always a militia but black dudes are thugs or gangs and muslims are terrorists? Hitler's militia tried to over throw the Munich government in 1923?

Largely because they insist on calling themselves as such, and media/society stupidly goes along with it. They all think they're the fucking Minutemen, and referring to them as militia gives them their self-importance.

If everyone would just replace "militia" with "inbred rednecks" in their personal vocabularies, the world would be a better place.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2