the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Unfortunately not quite as common as it should be. 

QFT.  I have seen some fairly prominent judges get kind of suckered by what I call an "interstitial" argument, one that doesn't fit neatly into the analytical boxes -- because it's bullshit.  They ultimately reached the right conclusion, but things were prolonged waaaayyy past the sell-by date.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I likened this whole thing to a 1/16 seed NCAA tourney game where 16 seed puts scare in 1 seed

I don't think this is like that at all. It's the opposite. 

This is like a 16 seed talking shit in the run up to the game, then falling behind big to the 1 seed and still talking shit as they are getting run out of the building. They are getting blown out and are still talking shit like they have a 50 point lead when they are actually 50 points behind, and the 1 seed just did an alley oop posterizing to go up 60.

When it's over they will still talk shit about how they weren't at their best and that the 1 seed really isn't that good. 

Just now, Gil Bang said:

They aren't just wrong.  They are SEVERELY wrong.  That has BIGLY legal meaning.

Also....nearly half have joined his effort.  Let's put that another way: a MAJORITY of US States either oppose or do not support Texas's bullshit efforts.

Fuck off, Ken.  

If it were possible to take a vote right now, statewide of every eligible person on whether Paxton should have done this, do I want to know the answer? I took an informal highly biased sample, and it was 0-6 that he was pardon fishing on our time and should stop.These were fairly rational people though, and were able to see it was stupid and dangerous.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They aren't just wrong.  They are SEVERELY wrong.  That has BIGLY legal meaning.

Also....nearly half have joined his effort.  Let's put that another way: a MAJORITY of US States either oppose or do not support Texas's bullshit efforts.

Fuck off, Ken.  

Press releases/tweets regarding ongoing litigation from the ATTORNEY GENERAL is now a thing.  JFC

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck off, Ken.  

See, he should have ALL CAPPED a few of his key words for emphasis.  Missed opportunity indeed.

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Republicans have been coddling this lunacy for decades. Republic of Texas, anyone? Yeah... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Didn't catch the name but saw/heard a comment this morning about Republicans would slap their mothers if Trump told them to and explain to their mothers later why they did it...  He wasn't wrong. 

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My point was probably lost:  people who think Donald Trump will be dead in 4 years are probably suffering from the same affliction I did when I figured 1997 was my last shot to see The Rolling Stones.

i was at that show.  if i remember correctly, the bill was Matchbox 20, then Dave Matthews Band, then Smashing Pumpkins, and then the Rolling Stones.  i remember being pissed at Matchbox 20 because some stops had Third Eye Blind as the opener.  much better band.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

His tweets today makes me think he knows the Supreme Court is about to reject his last minute hail mary out to half court. Now we'll get to watch him flail about and claim he's not leaving. 

he probably does have first hand knowledge, which is a problem in itself.  SCOTUS is typically as secretive as the Stasi.  they're supposed to lock shit down like Fort Knox.  but it wouldn't surprise me if Trump has some back channels to get information from the justices to the clerks to the Oval Office.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

My guess is a one liner at 5:00 pm when we're all at happy hour and have the weekend to get drunk and stop caring.

That is a regular move of mine when I have to send an email with negative news or information.  I have one tee'd up today in fact where I am informing a tenant that the adjacent tenant is going to take their space at the end of his lease, so he is out of there.  I'm going to send at 5:30 and I'll shut my computer down 30 seconds later.

17 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, what's the part of California that is now "New California State"? Is it Bakersfield? Because I bet they'd let Bakersfield secede without a fight.

Oh I wish a mother fucker would.

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

The 50+ cases that lost were all on the plaintiff's (trump campaign) dime, right?  Do the states then have to file a civil suit to recover defense costs?  

But the Texas suit is funded by the state, can they also be charged for court expenses and whatever?   

On the Nebraska AG's site, there is a form where you can report complaints that you want his office to investigate.  I asked that they arrest the Nebraska AG for theft of State property.  

How to deal with it?  Imo, education is how you deal with it.  Scientific and critical thought education.  

I don't know if education can reverse the damage, but I know damn well that defunding public schools is extremely dangerous.  Fuck school vouchers.  Fuck state efforts reducing funding for higher education.  I look at those initiatives with an entirely different lens now. 

Edited by Tuco
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i was at that show.  if i remember correctly, the bill was Matchbox 20, then Dave Matthews Band, then Smashing Pumpkins, and then the Rolling Stones.  i remember being pissed at Matchbox 20 because some stops had Third Eye Blind as the opener.  much better band.

I completely forgot about the opening bands.  Weird.  All this time I thought I had never seen Smashing Pumpkins . . . but I remember them and DMB now.

And no, I wasn't high or drunk.  Well, I wasn't high.

40 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That is a regular move of mine when I have to send an email with negative news or information.  I have one tee'd up today in fact where I am informing a tenant that the adjacent tenant is going to take their space at the end of his lease, so he is out of there.  I'm going to send at 5:30 and I'll shut my computer down 30 seconds later.

Delayed send is your friend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So we can just create websites for made up states now? And add them to the US because they have a website?

And lol at the borders of “New California”;

image.thumb.jpeg.2997ff3874c3f179ccc053787bd93b21.jpeg

Now let’s compare to actual vote results:

image.thumb.jpeg.ee13a660b19da1cb2b172c173a32539c.jpeg

As usual, dumbshits severely overestimate the appeal of Trumpland in this state.