the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

But her qualifications:

As a man of faith, I'm not doubting her spiritual prowess.  I'm just genuinely curious---how does one prosecute traffic crimes 'through a biblical lens' (their words, not mine)??????

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of my partners . . . relentlessly used inter alia.  Drove me crazy.

Off topic (my apologies) but Interesting.

Inter alia is a handy tool for me. The phrase allows me to neuter arguments based on "other things" brought up by my opponents that may equally be as true, but not relevant to the issue at hand. It simplifies matters for the court and allows me to define the issues.

I don't have Garner in front of me - anyone know what he says about it? 

26 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I think that we can all agree that Jenna Ellis is only slightly better at being a lawyer than I am, and I never went to law school. 

Anyway:

She got paid without the assistance of a neck brace.  You go, girl.  Keep that grift going. 

15 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Off topic (my apologies) but Interesting.

Inter alia is a handy tool for me. The phrase allows me to neuter arguments based on "other things" brought up by my opponents that may equally be as true, but not relevant to the issue at hand. It simplifies matters for the court and allows me to define the issues.

I don't have Garner in front of me - anyone know what he says about it? 

No, but I know what Strunk & White say:  "omit needless words."  Most Latin in legal writing is needless words.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Well, seeing if I could find anything from Garner online, I see that Thomas Reavley died this week at age 99, the oldest still serving judge in the federal judiciary.  He is a "relic" of the time when the Fifth Circuit was one of the best of the regional courts of appeal.  RIP.

Back on topic, Wayne Schiess includes it in his 10 legal words and phrases we can do without. https://law.utexas.edu/faculty/wschiess/legalwriting/2008/06/ten-legal-words-and-phrases-we-can-do.html

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

As a man of faith, I'm not doubting her spiritual prowess.  I'm just genuinely curious---how does one prosecute traffic crimes 'through a biblical lens' (their words, not mine)??????

They didn’t say that. Read the sentence again...but slower. And less drunk 

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this satire?  I don't know who this guy is.

Yes. It is satire 

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wisconsin Justice Hagedorn spitting fire:

The judicial system still holds. 

I disagree strongly with many of the federalist society judges nominated over the years by our republican presidents. Many are in bed or at least aligned with corporate interests which is why they got nominated and confirmed in the first place.

But at least they still require such things as evidence and proof when it comes to important decisions such as elections. This is something that trump didn’t account for. Thanks to our federal judiciary, as flawed as it may be, for at least upholding the rule of law.

And I realize the Wisconsin Supreme Court is what is implicated here. But the point still stands. You can’t walk into court with bullshit and expect to win anyway. We ain’t russia. At least not yet anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

1000% a joke because the Trump campaign alleged a Biden/Harris marked van was delivering ballots 

That’s why I hope they are doing it now. Cruise up and down the strip tossing fake ballots out like a ticker tape parade just to rub it in the trumpers faces 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Sorry to thread jack, but this piqued my interest.

Do they use Strunk & White in law school?  Or any kind of writing guidance?

Sure.  Good writing is good writing.  Legal writing is usually by its nature dull, and also requires the use of a fair amount of jargon, but the usual principles still apply.

Texas Law Review puts out a little stylebook that explicitly references Strunk & White as a more general guide. https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Usage-Style-University-Texas-dp-1878674587/dp/1878674587/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

It was a little project of Charles Alan Wright.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's fucking obscene.

If that is in the nature of legal fees, as opposed to salary, that is very likely unethical and could be the subject of bar discipline.

If she works 40 hours a week that's $525 per hour.   Which is not a crazy rate if she were a great lawyer.  Working on a great case.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Three WI justices dissented and would have taken up that nutball petition.  You get the right court put together, and things will fall apart eventually.  

Tx Supreme Court says 'Hello !' 

shame they can't file their AZ, PA, GA and WI lawsuits in Texas, this election would be flipped 

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sure.  Good writing is good writing.  Legal writing is usually by its nature dull, and also requires the use of a fair amount of jargon, but the usual principles still apply.

Texas Law Review puts out a little stylebook that explicitly references Strunk & White as a more general guide. https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Usage-Style-University-Texas-dp-1878674587/dp/1878674587/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

It was a little project of Charles Alan Wright.

Any time Strunk and White is mentioned I like to remind everyone that “White” is E B White, who wrote Charlotte’s Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm doing this career all wrong.  Why the hell did my parents instill in me at least a scintilla of ethics and humanity?  It's a damned anchor, that's what it is.

You are doing your job. You are holding the door against the barbarians at the gate [stet - intentional mixed metaphor, you damn grammar natzis.]

I long for the days when grammar natzis pose our greatest threat. You are doing your job in our nation of laws. Our laws have served us well, but there will be a next time. Thanks for sounding the alarm. 

Edited by washparkhorn