COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Had two Pfizer in January, booster in August. First cares came back >2500, 2nd came back >2500 but also apparently had a completely asymptomatic case of Covid in between as it came back at 2.8. Does the 2500 refer to both natural and vaccine induced antibodies or just vaccine?  Wife had 2488 on her first cares and a 271 on her 2nd. No covid detected.

Edited by rpspeed
  • Like 1

I can't find an appointment anywhere for the next few weeks. Where are you guys going to get boosted? Any place doing walk ins? We tried walkin at Walgreens for 2nd shot and they said we had to book it via the app sitting there in the store (but there are no appts to book now.)

If you're in Austin, use UT Public Health @ 16th & Trinity.  They talk walk-ins starting at 9:00a on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays.  In the last 10 days, I've learned that several people I know have been there for a booster (it's Pfizer), and not a single one of them had to wait more than 5 minutes.  Anyone wanting to do it before Christmas gatherings, this is the best option I know of in Austin.  Most pharmacies and clinics that run on appointments, are completely full until after Christmas.  

Anybody had to show proof of vaccine for international travel? Lost my card but have a digital copy from Walmart...I just have no clue if they look at my phone and are happy? It's got a barcode, but I'm traveling from Mexico to Colombia, so I'm assuming whatever system is used for that barcode is not accepted globally? How the fuck does all of this work?

19 minutes ago, used2b said:

I can't find an appointment anywhere for the next few weeks. Where are you guys going to get boosted? Any place doing walk ins? We tried walkin at Walgreens for 2nd shot and they said we had to book it via the app sitting there in the store (but there are no appts to book now.)

I got one through our family physician - walk-ins for all COVID vaccines for current patients. See if that's an option.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anybody had to show proof of vaccine for international travel? Lost my card but have a digital copy from Walmart...I just have no clue if they look at my phone and are happy? It's got a barcode, but I'm traveling from Mexico to Colombia, so I'm assuming whatever system is used for that barcode is not accepted globally? How the fuck does all of this work?

I had to for my Egypt trip in September.  They just looked at card and waved me thru.  I have been travelling a lot this last year.  Cozumel, Roatan, Utilia, Egypt and girlfriend just took me on my first cruise. (Yuck)  Not once did I have issues as all the places just glance at proof of test and the card.

1 hour ago, TexasGrunt said:

I had to for my Egypt trip in September.  They just looked at card and waved me thru.  I have been travelling a lot this last year.  Cozumel, Roatan, Utilia, Egypt and girlfriend just took me on my first cruise. (Yuck)  Not once did I have issues as all the places just glance at proof of test and the card.

It’s the check-in agent in your departing city that checked it, right? As opposed to customs at your arrival city…

Go back to that same Walmart. If they have records of your shots, they’ll probably fill out a new card for you with minimal hassle.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Go back to that same Walmart. If they have records of your shots, they’ll probably fill out a new card for you with minimal hassle.

Unfortunately not an option. The problem is my full name isn’t on my digital card and I’m little worried they’re going to give me shit that it doesn’t match my passport. Only option at this point is showing a digital copy, just curious if anyone has done that yet…

All except for Egypt.  Egypt was different, they required PCR not rapid and they wanted to see card and proof in Egypt but like I said they just saw US card and passport and said welcome to Egypt.  Didn't look that hard.  As for using image on phone not sure about that.  We  are behind, other countries have bar codes for scanning and look better then our cards.  I did my vac at Fort Bend county site and my card is in pencil that I filled out, no one has questioned me on it, even on the cruise I took.

Edited by TexasGrunt
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TexasGrunt said:

All except for Egypt.  Egypt was different, they required PCR not rapid and they wanted to see card and proof in Egypt but like I said they just saw US card and passport and said welcome to Egypt.  Didn't look that hard.  As for using image on phone not sure about that.  We  are behind, other countries have bar codes for scanning and look better then our cards.  I did my vac at Fort Bend county site and my card is in pencil that I filled out, no one has questioned me on it, even on the cruise I took.

sounds like no one gives a shit and jumping through all these hoops is just for show. cool, cool.

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

This is encouraging data out of S. Africa where it all began weeks ago. Data seems to back up the omicron variant is indeed much less deadly. They also have a much lower vax rate than the US and obviously not the medical system. 

FG0isA-VkAka2HJ.jpg

This is important. Omicron will hit us hard. It is incredibly contagious. We will see case numbers like never before. 

It is not as lethal as prior strains. I’m going to assume that it is still more lethal than a bad flu, unless shown otherwise. I expect lower fatality numbers than prior peaks (but more than current baseline). There will be a shitload of breakthrough cases. 

My hope is, as a community and nation, that we take it seriously but don’t overreact. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

This fucking sucks. 

Any word on Moderna  approval for the little ones?

Wondering if my 15yos should wait until Feb when they're 16 to get a booster at 8 months out, get a "booster" now, or not worry about it.  Some of the stuff about "broader" protection - like the set of tweets from Balazs Lab above - makes me think they need one now if at all.

It’s not as urgent for the little ones. That’s why the focus on the first vaccines, over a year and a half ago, was on adults. It wasn’t that we cared less about kids, but that they are at much less risk. The small kids that had problems had lots of comorbidities. 

I don’t see any need to stress about getting a vaccine for any child younger than 15 unless they have comorbidities (including obesity), as long as the adults at home are all vaccinated and boostered. 

8 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

8 hours ago, TexasGrunt said:

Has anyone traveled back from Mexico fairly recently?  We were there last spring and I recall the gate agent gave a passing glance at the test results.  Anyone have recent experience?

1 hour ago, Marcusshelton said:

Fully vaccinated in April (Moderna). Tested positive late October/early November. One day of fever and generally feeling shitty (like after second shot). Then lost taste and smell for like a week. Was going to get booster over holidays, but not sure now. 

Get the booster. 

30 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Get the booster. 

I know. Being lazy and avoiding that day of shittiness. Day after 2nd shot and the one day I felt bad with Covid felt exactly the same. Not fun at all fever, aches, chills, etc. So I know I’m gonna lose that day after the shot. My wife had no symptoms after shot and had uneventful bout with Covid at same time. 

Kids need their first shots too, we will make a family trip like we did with the flu shot. 

Edited by Marcusshelton
Clarify

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

If we catch up with the rest of the world and have new, secure vaccination cards…can we make the fucking thing the size of a credit card so it fits in my wallet?  The current size is stupid in regards to having it with me frequently.  

Can't you just keep a digital copy?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, statsman said:

It’s not as urgent for the little ones. That’s why the focus on the first vaccines, over a year and a half ago, was on adults. It wasn’t that we cared less about kids, but that they are at much less risk. The small kids that had problems had lots of comorbidities. 

I don’t see any need to stress about getting a vaccine for any child younger than 15 unless they have comorbidities (including obesity), as long as the adults at home are all vaccinated and boostered. 

We still stress about it though.  I have a 14 month old grandson I see every day, he will get it at some point but I really don’t want to be the one who gives it to him.  Particularly not knowing the long term effects.   

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

CVS does and apparently there's a state digital registry they report to.

And that registry is controlled by?  

You guessed it!

The Jews!  (judges would have also accepted Frank Stallone)  

19 hours ago, field said:

Has anyone traveled back from Mexico fairly recently?  We were there last spring and I recall the gate agent gave a passing glance at the test results.  Anyone have recent experience?

We came back after Thanksgiving (Cancun). The airport line was horrendously long, and eventually an airport employee walked around and took a look at peoples' vax cards and neg results before we got up to the check-in agent.

This may be a dumb question. My spouse got the J&J gimp shot in March. Got a Moderna booster 6-8 weeks ago. 

Is there any synergistic effect with the J&J and Mrna booster, or is it just like you get the shit protection from J&J and then you're basically partially vaxxed with Moderna?

I haven't found anything official that recommends J&J people get 2 shots of mrna to boost. Does she need another shot, esp. bc Omicron? 

So question.  At this point rather than continue pounding away resources at making an "original" version of  the vaccine work for 2-5 year olds that so far have seemed very very low risk outcome wise would it not make more sense for the Pfizers and Modernas of the world to be figuring out how to make some form of a trivalent, quadrivalent? vaccine/booster.  Is that even possible?  Just seems like they would do something like isolate the Alpha, Delta, Omicron and say one other spike that has been drifting around out there and create m-RNA that would get your cells pumping out all three varieties?  I'm sure it's more complicated than I just made it sound, or is it?  

Random immunology questions... Can someone explain why people are fretting so much about antibody levels when the B cells responsible for making them last the rest of your life? Is the concern that low initial levels during infection would allow the virus to gain a foothold before antibody levels rebound? Can the virus suppress antibody production?

1 hour ago, berlinerbaer said:

Random immunology questions... Can someone explain why people are fretting so much about antibody levels when the B cells responsible for making them last the rest of your life? Is the concern that low initial levels during infection would allow the virus to gain a foothold before antibody levels rebound? Can the virus suppress antibody production?

Your antibody level will determine how likely you are to become infected and also, to a lesser extent, how likely you are to have a severe case.  Keep in mind you need a lot more antibodies to prevent infection than you do to prevent severe disease.  Unfortunately we now know protection against infection is short lived after vaccination (a couple of months) whence why people are concerned about the numbers.  However, protection against severe disease and death are certainly going to last significantly longer and I think this protection is being undersold.   

The question is how long the B cells (and don't forget T cells!) will last to protect against severe disease.  They certainly will last more than a year, but we don't know if there will be appreciable numbers at 5, 10, 20 years or longer to protect against severe disease.  That's why some vaccines require regular boosters (like the Tdap that is given every ten years or after exposure) to replenish the B cell and T cell populations that normally die off.  It is too early to say what time periods COVID vaccines will be necessary going forward, and what the vaccination schedule will look like for optimal results.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see recommendations that mix different vaccine technologies like adenovirus vector (J&J), mRNA (Pfizer, Moderna), subunit (Novavax) and perhaps other technologies that are currently being explored (DNA vaccines, for example) and hammer down scheduling when the shots should be given.  We are a long way away from knowing what the optimal solution is here, and we are years, perhaps decades away from fully understanding it unfortunately.    

On 12/16/2021 at 11:51 PM, Anastasis said:

Click through to the thread for interpretation...

Affinity maturation doing work.

Edited by Dontshootrude
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

This may be a dumb question. My spouse got the J&J gimp shot in March. Got a Moderna booster 6-8 weeks ago. 

Is there any synergistic effect with the J&J and Mrna booster, or is it just like you get the shit protection from J&J and then you're basically partially vaxxed with Moderna?

I haven't found anything official that recommends J&J people get 2 shots of mrna to boost. Does she need another shot, esp. bc Omicron? 

The single shot she got from Moderna should have provided her with a substantial boost and will bring her up to roughly the same level of protection as someone who had 3 mRNA shots.  And I'm only talking about antibody response here.....her T cell immunity might be preferable, but we don't have solid data to know this for sure right now.  

boostershotchoice.thumb.png.763028405502815b9eed2f27ba8a1481.png

Source

Edited by Dontshootrude

14 hours ago, Marcusshelton said:

Fully vaccinated in April (Moderna). Tested positive late October/early November. One day of fever and generally feeling shitty (like after second shot). Then lost taste and smell for like a week. Was going to get booster over holidays, but not sure now. 

I wouldn't get the booster.  Your infection served as the booster.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

You should definitely take the medical advice of an anonymous poster on a football message board.

Citation: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2787447

Summary: you get a very robust immune response after a breakthrough infection, perhaps as good as the hybrid immunity we see after a recovered individual gets vaccinated.  And on top of that, there is a substantial increase in the class of antibodies (IgA) expressed on mucus membranes (like in your nose and respiratory tract) that is markedly better than what is achieved through vaccination that should do a better job at preventing infection.

This is pretty basic immunology.

Edited by Dontshootrude
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1