COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Adult in our house has been rocking a fever for 36 hours with a severe headache.

Two rapid antigen test negatives, yesterday noon, today noon.

I don't believe it.

what good is  the testing, then?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Her brother popped positive at 48 hours, same symptoms.  I wouldn't be surprised if these retail test kits struggle to pick up omicron earlier in the infection.  I'm making her stay locked up in her room, regardless.

agreed, and wasn't meaning to question your situation; but rather the inexact results of much of the  testing.

It's not uncommon at all to hear of 1 or 2 negatives and then they pop positive.  I think that might be a little part of your doubt too.

Edited by slorch

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

agreed, and wasn't meaning to question your situation; but rather the inexact results of much of the  testing.

It's not uncommon at all to hear of 1 or 2 negatives and then they pop positive.  I think that might be a little part of your doubt too.

To elaborate, we know that antigen tests register 40% or more false negatives; i.e., a person with covid tests negative.

If one tests positive on an antigen test, it's a pretty good bet they have covid.  Testing negative should not be interpreted with nearly so much confidence.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can’t speak to Pfizer/Moderna combo, but 2500 is super high. I scored like 750 in mid December after second Moderna in April and was scheduled for a booster this week but the Chron beat me to it. My only question is how/if a booster helps someone already at 2500.

Same question here. Just popped another 2500+ on my 2nd cares draw. Not boosted yet. Last dose was in early February (2x moderna)
  • Hook 'Em 2

My wife tested lightly positive and one negative on rapid tests. She also got a pcr the same day that was negative. Three days later, she was clearly positive on a rapid. That was five days ago and I had a PCR today but won’t know for a day or two.

We slept in the same bed all last week until Sunday night so I cannot believe I’d be negative but I am totally asymptomatic. She’s over the sniffles and slight cough. It did not slow her down at all.

We both had our boosters recently and I will lord it over her if I continue to be negative.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Coming up on 2 weeks treblevaxxed, which means all the 5G antibodies have kicked in?  Internet speed still sucks.  What the heck.

Compared to the unvaxxed (zero shots), how much lower are my chances of getting sick, hospitalized or dying?

Between 0 and 100% on all counts 

• Haha 1

I’m sure it’s been discussed upthread but got dang the Pfizer booster sucks ass. Got it at about 3 yesterday, and about 2a thru 7A I had to put drops in my eyes from being dry. Mouth dry as well but I keep water bedside. Pretty stopped up this morning early and then from about 10a until 4ish a terrible sinus headache. May have been a coincidence but I don’t get sinus headaches ever.

Feeling better now except for my shoulder where it still feels like I got hit with a bat if I touch it on something.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Coming up on 2 weeks treblevaxxed, which means all the 5G antibodies have kicked in?  Internet speed still sucks.  What the heck.

Compared to the unvaxxed (zero shots), how much lower are my chances of getting sick, hospitalized or dying?

A lot lower 

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/characteristics-of-vaccinated-patients-hospitalized-with-covid-19-breakthrough-infections/

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/15/health/cdc-covid-risk-higher-unvaccinated/index.html

Double Pfizer then Moderna booster. Promptly tested positive 3 weeks after booster.

Symptoms day 1. Negative at home test day 2. Positive at home test x2 day 3 (Christmas Eve).

Mayo on call RN on Christmas Eve says 50% false positive rate on in home tests. But since I have symptoms she’s betting it’s accurate. Says to come into Mayo to get real test for records.

Test positive day 6 at Mayo Clinic.

Had short fever evening of day three. Just cold symptoms other wise which are mostly gone now. Tested positive on at home test again today - day 8.

No biggie because not doing shit until Monday - day 13. Takeaway is everyone on the planet will have left me the fuck alone for 10 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Double Pfizer then Moderna booster. Promptly tested positive 3 weeks after booster.

Symptoms day 1. Negative at home test day 2. Positive at home test x2 day 3 (Christmas Eve).

Mayo on call RN on Christmas Eve says 50% false positive rate on in home tests. But since I have symptoms she’s betting it’s accurate. Says to come into Mayo to get real test for records.

Test positive day 6 at Mayo Clinic.

Had short fever evening of day three. Just cold symptoms other wise which are mostly gone now. Tested positive on at home test again today - day 8.

No biggie because not doing shit until Monday - day 13. Takeaway is everyone on the planet will have left me the fuck alone for 10 days.

Rapid antigen tests have a very low false positive rate. Problem is false negatives around 40%

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Austinvines said:

My wife tested lightly positive and one negative on rapid tests. She also got a pcr the same day that was negative. Three days later, she was clearly positive on a rapid. That was five days ago and I had a PCR today but won’t know for a day or two.

We slept in the same bed all last week until Sunday night so I cannot believe I’d be negative but I am totally asymptomatic. She’s over the sniffles and slight cough. It did not slow her down at all.

We both had our boosters recently and I will lord it over her if I continue to be negative.

PCR was negative. My immune system is a rock star. It will be interesting to see my third UT CARES draw to see if I have a natural antibody response that overwhelmed the virus, or if I slept in the same bed with my Covid+wife for over a week and just never got it. I was over the 2500 spike protein AB limit 3 weeks post-Moderna booster on 12/10/21.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

PCR was negative. My immune system is a rock star. It will be interesting to see my third UT CARES draw to see if I have a natural antibody response that overwhelmed the virus, or if I slept in the same bed with my Covid+wife for over a week and just never got it. I was over the 2500 spike protein AB limit 3 weeks post-Moderna booster on 12/10/21.

It's possible you 1) had the virus and it was eliminated quickly, or 2) it was Omicron and evaded PCR detection. PCRs are supposed to pick up any genetic material associated with the virus, but given Omicron's bizarre genetic profile, who knows.

I caught a breakthrough right (PCR positive) about the time I got boosted, but had none of the classic COVID symptoms other than fever, chills, and aches.  This was pre-Omicron.  I hypothesized I actually had a flu virus lurking and that's what my symptoms were, but had enough COVID-19 virus in my system to flip a positive PCR. I re-tested negative on the same PCR less than week later.

Edited by SizzleChest

1 hour ago, Caponata said:

joker-the-dark-knight.gif

They already kind of have, with different quarantine recommendations for exposure.

IMO, they need to tread lightly on this.  There are lots of people who gladly got the vaccine over 6 months ago, but haven't felt the need to get the booster yet.  You start telling those people they are going to be treated the same as unvaxxed unless they go get the booster right now, there's going to be backlash.  Especially if those people have tested for high antibody levels, or just had a mild case of Omicron.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

They already kind of have, with different quarantine recommendations for exposure.

IMO, they need to tread lightly on this.  There are lots of people who gladly got the vaccine over 6 months ago, but haven't felt the need to get the booster yet.  You start telling those people they are going to be treated the same as unvaxxed unless they go get the booster right now, there's going to be backlash.  Especially if those people have tested for high antibody levels, or just had a mild case of Omicron.

Wonder what % of people on this board would support redefining what is considered vaccinated. 

On 12/22/2021 at 1:59 PM, Buzzrock said:

Talked to a neighbor who had a sales call with the CEO of an Indiana hospital yesterday. He said they are at their highest number of admissions and 25-30 percent of them are vaccinated. Anecdotal of course but concerning.

This is waaaaay off from everything I've read.  That seems like a very high percentage. 

I hope I don't get Covid-19 tonight at this business function.  I'm arriving late, leaving early, and spending most of the time on the terrace.  

God bless y'all.  We tried.  My family and I...we really fucking tried.  We did more than most.  And didn't do more than most.  If that makes sense. 

I can't just say "Si Dios Quiere."  He knows that.  Take care of one another.  I'll see y'all in 2022.  

Onward...Thru the Fog...

48 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I hope I don't get Covid-19 tonight at this business function.  I'm arriving late, leaving early, and spending most of the time on the terrace.  

God bless y'all.  We tried.  My family and I...we really fucking tried.  We did more than most.  And didn't do more than most.  If that makes sense. 

I can't just say "Si Dios Quiere."  He knows that.  Take care of one another.  I'll see y'all in 2022.  

Onward...Thru the Fog...

Give your feet an oat bath if you feel it coming on

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Picked this up Christmas Eve.   Been a shitty holiday.  This certainly isn't a "mild cold" but I'll live.....remarkable how scarce the tests are...I would kind of listen to this on the news before, and saw the "lines for testing going around the block" on the news, but "until it hits home" .......   Looking forward the immunity this affords me coming out the other side, but for now it's quarantine, "Z-Stack" and chill.

Not a virologist, but I'm of the belief that everyone on the planet will be infected with some variant of this or two until its endemic like the other viruses and our life goes on.   Kind of arrogant to believe that MRNA or Astrazeneca are going to eradicate this thing with boosters.

Wishing those who have contracted this and their families good strength and quick recoveries. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, m00t607t said:

Kind of arrogant to believe that MRNA or Astrazeneca are going to eradicate this thing with boosters.

I don't think anyone serious has said that we will eradicate COVID. The whole point of the vaccines are to reduce severe illness and death through exposure to a defused version of the virus (J&J) or it's infection mechanism (mRNA vaxes), rather than fighting off the virus with a naive immune system

47 minutes ago, m00t607t said:

Not a virologist, but I'm of the belief that everyone on the planet will be infected with some variant of this or two until its endemic like the other viruses and our life goes on.   Kind of arrogant to believe that MRNA or Astrazeneca are going to eradicate this thing with boosters.

I think omicron might get us there.  I fully expect to get infected.  It's just a matter of when, and how much it disrupts my schedule at this point.

There is not eradication in play. Animal reservoirs and non-sterilizing vaccines. It's not even on the board at this point.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, it’s everywhere and everyone is going to get it. Pretty sure my wife has it, but we can’t get in to see a doc for a few days, so I guess we wait. The crazy part is we called all our friends to cancel our New Year’s eve party and… they were having none of it, people are really looking to party. 

1 hour ago, Caponata said:

Should I get boosted? Under 40, JJ vaxxed, had covid (wasn't aware until I tested for antibodies). 

Not necessary and don't let anybody bully you into getting one, unless you have a health condition or over 50...unless your goal is to avoid ANY illness or mild cold.

We've lost our fucking minds freaking out over testing positive when all of us are going to get it at some point.  

And all of this bullshit of boosting everyone is ultimately killing our ability to fight off Covid worldwide.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 4

This is what I would like to know: out of everybody that has gotten covid with at least moderate symptoms and who are not immunocompromised, what percentage has gotten it more than once, WITH SYMPTOMS? It has to be a positive test AND symptoms.

Not necessary and don't let anybody bully you into getting one, unless you have a health condition or over 50...unless your goal is to avoid ANY illness or mild cold.
We've lost our fucking minds freaking out over testing positive when all of us are going to get it at some point.  
[/url] And all of this bullshit of boosting everyone is ultimately killing our ability to fight off Covid worldwide.

Interesting. What line of work are you in? I ask because Anastasis seems to have the diametrically opposite view on this specific point.