Charley Pride is gone

cactusflinthead

I was gutted to hear this. I just love his music. And while this might be an unpopular opinion, I think his version of "Me and Bobby McGee" is the best that has ever been recorded. He makes you feel like you're right there with him, inside the song.

Godspeed, Charley.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking back through his catalogue to see where he got his songs.  Never knew Cowboy Jack Clement wrote this one.  Most of his 'hits' were by relatively unknown writers.  Some things I read were that Jack Clement didn't want him singing his songs at first.  I remember stories of him going to spring training with the Rangers a couple of times in the 70s.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Danced at the VFW in Corpus to his music, saw him at Billy Bob's numerous times, and met him in person at Caravan of Dreams when I worked there.  Nothing pretentious about the man and willing to talk to everyone who spoke to him.  The world lost a wonderful human being as well as a great singer.  RIP Charlie.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

^^hold up. For real?

I assume the CMAs?  Yeah--that's been the speculation.  They invited an octogenarian to a maskless awards ceremony to give him a lifetime achievement award, and made damned sure he didn't have any more lifetime to garner additional achievements.

37 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I assume the CMAs?  Yeah--that's been the speculation.  They invited an octogenarian to a maskless awards ceremony to give him a lifetime achievement award, and made damned sure he didn't have any more lifetime to garner additional achievements.

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Bbbut everyone was tested!

Uh huh. Sure they were.

Tom Grieve was on the little ticket last week talking about him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I heard an interview with him on NPR from some time back, tracing over his life history.

When his demos were first brought to record companies, they didn't know he was black, found out and signed him anyway.

So the interviewer was asking about his career in the negro leagues and being a black country star, and he just said, without any anger, just the impatience of listening to foolishness, something to the effect of "I was a baseball player, I am a country musician, black's got nothing to do with either one, the sooner we get over that business, the better."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1