Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

answering my own question:  Akers 9 losses, Mack 7 losses, DKR 5 losses.  Brian Kelly's record of 8 losses is better than Akers and right in line with the two head coaches in our history who have won National Championships.  Case closed, IF Urban says no. 

Urban's best four years in a row:  4 losses. better than DKR.  

21 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

answering my own question:  Akers 9 losses, Mack 7 losses, DKR 5 losses.  Brian Kelly's record of 8 losses is better than Akers and right in line with the two head coaches in our history who have won National Championships.  Case closed, IF Urban says no. 

Urban's best four years in a row:  4 losses. better than DKR.  

Whispers to himself: The Big 12 was shit before 2008. Mack bullied outmatched opponents. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Anyone bitching about ND beating “nobodies” is stupid as fuck. We’ve all seen how difficult it is to go undefeated with ANY schedule. Not to mention that the bottom third of this conference is dogshit and the “middling” teams should be shit on yearly by Texas. OU is the only fucking obstacle here and Texas with Kelly would do fine in that matchup more often than not. 

I’m holding out hope for the grand conspiracy that we’re getting Urban Meyer, but if we aren’t - Kelly is probably the best of the rest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It would never happen so there’s no point in talking about it, but it’s laughable to think that there is even one person on this board that would take Matt Campbell over this Brian Fucking Kelly. He isn’t perfect, and he’s kind of a douche, but he’s a really good coach. I’d sign up for that in a fucking heartbeat, but again, it ain’t happening. 

2 hours ago, TheWellofInformation said:

A lot of 8-5 seasons and playing in the Music City and Pinstripe Bowls.

Pretty much what we have now with Tom Herman.

This is a pretty terrible take. Kelly's 43-7 over the past 4 seasons with 2 playoff appearances. How is that anything like Herman?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Absolutely no, he wouldn’t be. Brian Kelly couldn’t hold the jock strap for a properly motivated Mack Brown. Kelly isn’t coming here, anyway, and neither is Urban. I’m sick of all this stupid rumor mongering started by nerds like that fuckhead Jesus Shuttlesworth. Anyone who says “The University of by God Texas” should be kicked in the nuts.

Any fanbase this large will have its share of idiots, but the Mackenzie Kellys of us are the loudest and most social media savvy these days. It’s fucking embarrassing.  Fuck you, fuck this thread, fuck FitLump, fuck everybody. 

And this post reminds me why this site is called surly

5 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Whispers to himself: The Big 12 was shit before 2008. Mack bullied outmatched opponents. 

Says loudly:  It still is.  OU has continued to bully outmatched opponents at the same rate.  We stopped bullying and started wallowing in the shit in 2010.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

One of Kelly's best attributes is his ability to find coaching talent. Some names that he has hired in the past include Mike Elko, Bob Diaco, Robert Saleh, Matt Lafleur, Jeff Quinn, Clark Lea, and a few others that were at one time or another hot commodities. With Texas money to pay and keep guys he'll build the best staff we've seen in awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

What the actual fuck is going on here you surly shits.  I take off for a weekend of in-law bullshit, long fucking drives in traffic down I35,  entertaining ideas of how murder every fucking person responsible for Waco construction, and endlessly boring conversation with old people who's names I can't even fucking remember, and the only booze in their "liquor cabinet" was some shit called Yellow Rose...and this is what I come back to?

Kelly?  The guy currently in the playoffs?  Why on God's green earth would he be entertaining any offers other than goosing ND for a big ass bump in pay.  One of the most underpaid coaches in CFB, who my guess is thinks his name needs to be in the best coaches category?  This guy?   

source.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

The amount of people raging on hiring Kelly is fucking stupid. Half the posters this board are made up of the guys who spend the entire night at the bar simping on the 11/10 chick who isn’t in to them and then goes home and jerks it to her Facebook. Instead of going home with 8/10 girls and actually getting laid.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

The amount of people raging on hiring Kelly is fucking stupid. Half the posters this board are made up of the guys who spend the entire night at the bar simping on the 11/10 chick who isn’t in to them and then goes home and jerks it to her Facebook. Instead of going home with 8/10 girls and actually getting laid.

You think people here fuck 8s?

Do you know Vic?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Kelly?  The guy currently in the playoffs?  Why on God's green earth would he be entertaining any offers other than goosing ND for a big ass bump in pay.  One of the most underpaid coaches in CFB, who my guess is thinks his name needs to be in the best coaches category?  This guy?

I think you may have answered your own question. According to the googles, Kelly makes 1.665 million a year? Can that be right? Fuck that seems low. He's been there for 11 years and just signed a 4 year extension, so I'm guessing if he could have milked more money out of ND, he would have by now. At first blush, I don't know why he'd leave ND to go to Texas, but if the difference in money is somewhere around 4-5x, that could be a pretty easy call for him.

Peel back the layers a bit, and Kelly's probably a great fit at UT.  Here's a good article about academic recruiting restrictions at ND. I can easily see the UT admin loving that philosophy and sales pitch, with where UT wants to be academically. Only difference being that they don't really have the same restrictions so BK could sprinkle in some higher level recruits who would have never gotten into ND, while still pitching the same opportunities.

The more I think about this, the more I think Kelly might be a great plan B to Urban. Maintained 2+ programs, has experience handling high level recruits and player egos, and high level programs, boosters, pressures, etc. Has made some great assistant hires over the years. Isn't an immature jackass who just happens to be the hot flavor of the year. Okay, he hasn't won a National Championship, but nobody we can get who's worth a damn has. So, outside of Urban, I think he'd have to be in the conversation for the obvious first choice. I think I like it.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

I think you may have answered your own question. According to the googles, Kelly makes 1.665 million a year? Can that be right? Fuck that seems low. He's been there for 11 years and just signed a 4 year extension, so I'm guessing if he could have milked more money out of ND, he would have by now. At first blush, I don't know why he'd leave ND to go to Texas, but if the difference in money is somewhere around 4-5x, that could be a pretty easy call for him.

Peel back the layers a bit, and Kelly's probably a great fit at UT.  Here's a good article about academic recruiting restrictions at ND. I can easily see the UT admin loving that philosophy and sales pitch, with where UT wants to be academically. Only difference being that they don't really have the same restrictions so BK could sprinkle in some higher level recruits who would have never gotten into ND, while still pitching the same opportunities.

The more I think about this, the more I think Kelly might be a great plan B to Urban. Maintained 2+ programs, has experience handling high level recruits and player egos, and high level programs, boosters, pressures, etc. Has made some great assistant hires over the years. Isn't an immature jackass who just happens to be the hot flavor of the year. Okay, he hasn't won a National Championship, but nobody we can get who's worth a damn has. So, outside of Urban, I think he'd have to be in the conversation for the obvious first choice. I think I like it.

No doubt, but with an extension woefully under market value, second playoff appearance, and a roster full of his boys, this reeks of a fishing job from his camp for a fat pay raise.  We'll see...

4 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Yeah, bowl game results are better a much comparison. Kelly is slightly above .500 with 6-5. Mack is around 14-5.

Yes and Tom is undefeated in bowls.  

what random arbitrary stat should we do next?  Win percentage vs FSU and ou?

Edited by closetohumping

14 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I’ll pass on Kelly. His plodding offense wouldn’t fare well in the Big12. It’s only powerful when he has a dominant QB. 

You can put that to rest. He's on record saying his style is dictated by the players he has and the ones he can get. He's run different styles before.

I'm all for BK as a plan B. I don't know that he would recruit as well (or quick) as Meyer would but feel he's every bit the coach Meyer is and is capable of running a top level program/expectations bubble like Texas. I also feel like he's a guy that can get the right assistants in place quickly.

11 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

This thread should take an interesting turn if/when ND gets blown out by 30+ Friday night.  

Huh? That’s the expectation and one of the key reasons the notion of him leaving ND for another college gig is remotely plausible. He cannot get the talent at ND being obtained at better locales with self-inflicted no competitive  disadvantages regarding who they can take academically. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Yeah, bowl game results are better a much comparison. Kelly is slightly above .500 with 6-5. Mack is around 14-5.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/brian-kelly-2.html shows him as 7-5

2 of the 5 losses are the title game loss to Alabama and the playoff loss last year.

Only once has Kelly lost a bowl game as the higher ranked team (2008 Orange Bowl when he was at Cincinnati).

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? That’s the expectation and one of the key reasons the notion of him leaving ND for another college gig is remotely plausible. He cannot get the talent at ND being obtained at better locales with self-inflicted no competitive  disadvantages regarding who they can take academically. 

Exactly...just let em’ go, they’re on a roll.