Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sounds like Jaylon Jones got beat a lot today 

The Ministry would like to have a word with you. 

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

8:26p

Staff

Jason and I spent all afternoon at The Star in Frisco for the first day of The Opening Finals. A lot of A&M commits and targets were participating. Here are our quick thoughts on the day from watching the workout and talking to sources...

Howell's Notes

- First things first, let's talk about Demond Demas. That guy was having some fun and he was doing some work. He had the fifth highest overall SPARQ rating, he has one of the fastest 40s of the day and I am almost certain he would've won his heat in the Fastest Man Competition if not for a slow start, and just for fun he threw a 62-yard bomb in the Longball competition which would've put him among the best of all the QBs (Anthony Richardson won with a throw of 67 yards). Oh and he was flipping everywhere. It was crazy and he looked like he was having a blast. I didn't see all of his one on ones but he had no problem blowing by defenders. If anything QBs had trouble getting him the ball.

- I have to say Noah Sewell was as impressive as anyone o saw today. No way that guy looks or moves like he's 270. I saw a guy who looks like a true ILB. He's physical, he has lateral quickness, he's smart, and can drop deep into coverage. It was easy to see why he is a high priority target for the Aggies. 

- Texas A&M commit Jaylon Jones had a solid day. He was very physical and he plays through the end of the play. I don't think I saw him get burned at any time today. Overall it was a solid day.

- On the d-line 2021 DT Maason Smith caught my attention in a big way. His hands were more violent than anyone I saw and he is already one massive dude. Texas A&M offered early and he visited in the spring. I get the feeling he is going to be a priority target for coach Elijah Robinson.

- Vernon Broughton arrived late and didn't participate in any drills today. He and his family plan to sit down at a nice restaurant and discuss the pros and cons. Some of the factors high on his list are how he fits in, how he's like living there, and how they treat his family. He didn't declare his leaders out of his top group. 

"Texas A&M it's amazing. It's nice. The culture and everything is nice there but the college itself, the people it's a great place. And coach Price and coach Jimbo and all of them are all good people. I've talked to coach Price here lately discussing where he sees me at and the depth chart and am that. It's nice."

He does not have any concrete plans to take any other visits this summer but he did say it is a possibility he takes a visit after the meeting with his family to discuss his decision.

- I heard From a few sources that OU commit Ryan Watts could visit Texas A&M for the BBQ/pool party, and the Aggies remain in communication.

- a couple of more guys to look for at the BBQ/pool party are 2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire and 2022 LB Kobie McKinzie

Few more of my takeaways

- We didn't know at the onset, but Troy Omeire is fighting a knee issue. He looked a bit hobbled in his forty, and movement became more of a problem as the day went on. He went and got it taped and sat out for a small portion of the workout but did go through the paces in one-on-ones. He then went down after a rep, and it looked like he was in some pain. He carried on, but it wasn't an ideal start for the gifted wideout, but I admired his toughness and willingness to compete. 

- OL commit Akinola Ogunbiyi looked pretty sturdy in my eyes. He's progressed so much from this time last year, particularly in his pass blocking. Remember, he plays in a heavy run, split veer system at Ft Bend Kempner. There's still work to do with his feet, but you have to be encouraged by his progress. There's no doubt he can fire and run block. Those skills aren't showcased in these settings though. Overall, a solid days work for the newest A&M commit. 

- Lots of buzz surrounding the upcoming announcement from CB Josh Moten. Feeling better and better about the Aggies adding to Jaylon Jones in the defensive backfield. 

- Speaking of DB, Xavion Alford had a great day, especially in coverage which can often be tough for safety prospects. Alford was fluid and displayed good change of direction and feel for routes as they developed. Sounds like Bama has surged to the front as of today. 

- It was my first time seeing Haynes King as I arrived up here last night, but he was as advertised. He's clearly among the nation's elite. There's no arguing that anymore. Demas and Jaylon Jones were both working on him throughout the day. Jaylon even mentioned in our interview how important a piece Haynes was to the 2020 puzzle. 

- Howell mentioned it, but Demas is a total stud. He's as much of a superstar as a HS player as you could be, and he's been a lot of fun to cover. 

- October decision for Manor DL Princely Umanmielen who should be back in town for the July recruiting event. I'll have an interview with him tomorrow evening.

6 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

The Ministry would like to have a word with you. 

Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

8:26p

Staff

Jason and I spent all afternoon at The Star in Frisco for the first day of The Opening Finals. A lot of A&M commits and targets were participating. Here are our quick thoughts on the day from watching the workout and talking to sources...

Howell's Notes

- First things first, let's talk about Demond Demas. That guy was having some fun and he was doing some work. He had the fifth highest overall SPARQ rating, he has one of the fastest 40s of the day and I am almost certain he would've won his heat in the Fastest Man Competition if not for a slow start, and just for fun he threw a 62-yard bomb in the Longball competition which would've put him among the best of all the QBs (Anthony Richardson won with a throw of 67 yards). Oh and he was flipping everywhere. It was crazy and he looked like he was having a blast. I didn't see all of his one on ones but he had no problem blowing by defenders. If anything QBs had trouble getting him the ball.

- I have to say Noah Sewell was as impressive as anyone o saw today. No way that guy looks or moves like he's 270. I saw a guy who looks like a true ILB. He's physical, he has lateral quickness, he's smart, and can drop deep into coverage. It was easy to see why he is a high priority target for the Aggies. 

- Texas A&M commit Jaylon Jones had a solid day. He was very physical and he plays through the end of the play. I don't think I saw him get burned at any time today. Overall it was a solid day.

- On the d-line 2021 DT Maason Smith caught my attention in a big way. His hands were more violent than anyone I saw and he is already one massive dude. Texas A&M offered early and he visited in the spring. I get the feeling he is going to be a priority target for coach Elijah Robinson.

- Vernon Broughton arrived late and didn't participate in any drills today. He and his family plan to sit down at a nice restaurant and discuss the pros and cons. Some of the factors high on his list are how he fits in, how he's like living there, and how they treat his family. He didn't declare his leaders out of his top group. 

"Texas A&M it's amazing. It's nice. The culture and everything is nice there but the college itself, the people it's a great place. And coach Price and coach Jimbo and all of them are all good people. I've talked to coach Price here lately discussing where he sees me at and the depth chart and am that. It's nice."

He does not have any concrete plans to take any other visits this summer but he did say it is a possibility he takes a visit after the meeting with his family to discuss his decision.

- I heard From a few sources that OU commit Ryan Watts could visit Texas A&M for the BBQ/pool party, and the Aggies remain in communication.

- a couple of more guys to look for at the BBQ/pool party are 2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire and 2022 LB Kobie McKinzie

Few more of my takeaways

- We didn't know at the onset, but Troy Omeire is fighting a knee issue. He looked a bit hobbled in his forty, and movement became more of a problem as the day went on. He went and got it taped and sat out for a small portion of the workout but did go through the paces in one-on-ones. He then went down after a rep, and it looked like he was in some pain. He carried on, but it wasn't an ideal start for the gifted wideout, but I admired his toughness and willingness to compete. 

- OL commit Akinola Ogunbiyi looked pretty sturdy in my eyes. He's progressed so much from this time last year, particularly in his pass blocking. Remember, he plays in a heavy run, split veer system at Ft Bend Kempner. There's still work to do with his feet, but you have to be encouraged by his progress. There's no doubt he can fire and run block. Those skills aren't showcased in these settings though. Overall, a solid days work for the newest A&M commit. 

- Lots of buzz surrounding the upcoming announcement from CB Josh Moten. Feeling better and better about the Aggies adding to Jaylon Jones in the defensive backfield. 

- Speaking of DB, Xavion Alford had a great day, especially in coverage which can often be tough for safety prospects. Alford was fluid and displayed good change of direction and feel for routes as they developed. Sounds like Bama has surged to the front as of today. 

- It was my first time seeing Haynes King as I arrived up here last night, but he was as advertised. He's clearly among the nation's elite. There's no arguing that anymore. Demas and Jaylon Jones were both working on him throughout the day. Jaylon even mentioned in our interview how important a piece Haynes was to the 2020 puzzle. 

- Howell mentioned it, but Demas is a total stud. He's as much of a superstar as a HS player as you could be, and he's been a lot of fun to cover. 

- October decision for Manor DL Princely Umanmielen who should be back in town for the July recruiting event. I'll have an interview with him tomorrow evening.

Ha. In the span of like 20 posts in the 247 opening thread, he got beat about six different times 

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ha. In the span of like 20 posts in the 247 opening thread, he got beat about six different times 

Like he said, he didn’t see him get beat. He just by chance happened to not be looking each time.

Edited by Enchubben

National top-100 DT Broughton nearing decision

VIP ByBRIAN PERRONI 50 minutes ago

FRISCO, Texas – Houston Cy Ridge four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton was not with the rest of the prospects when they arrived at check-in for The Opening Finals on Sunday.

The 6-foot-5, 286-pound defender had long had a family reunion planned for this past weekend, so he did not arrive in Frisco until Monday afternoon. The nation’s No. 70 overall prospect will hit the field on Tuesday but he is also focused on recruiting as well.

Having taken his five allotted official visits over the past couple of months to Arkansas, LSU, Ohio State, Texas and Texas A&M, Broughton is nearing a decision.

“Right now - I think…a week from now - me, my mom and my grandmother are going to go to a nice restaurant, bring a notebook and pencil and write down and see where I’m going,” he said of a timeline and figuring out his future destination.

As for whether a particular school was standing out as he prepared for the meeting with the two main women in his life, Broughton was not quite ready to say that.

“I mean, I have several, to be honest,” he said of schools sticking out. “But one? No, not really. That’s why we want to sit down, write it all out and see where I’m really focused at.”

Broughton says he is looking for an environment that feels like home to him.

“Every school is nice, so it’s really where I’m going to fit in at,” he said. “Living, see if I’m going to stay in Texas or not. That’s the majority things. And, a big family thing. I know every school shows that they love my family, but see where it’s really down.”

A&M received the final official visit, hosting Broughton just before the dead period began last month.

“It’s amazing. It’s nice,” he said of Aggieland. “The culture and everything is nice there. The college itself, the people – it’s a great place. Coach Price and coach Jimbo, they’re all good people.

“I’ve been talking to coach Price here lately. We’re just going over things. He sent me a depth chart and everything else like that.”

A couple weeks prior to his official visit, Broughton camped at A&M and then spent the night in College Station. He says it helped the Aggies in his mind quite a bit.

“They have,” Broughton said about things picking up with A&M as of late. “They’ve been off for a minute but they got back on the wagon.

“Still talking to coach Price. Letting him coach me at that camp and just walking around. I’ve been to Texas A&M plenty of times.”

Broughton weighed in at 286 pounds this past March and is ranked as a defensive tackle by 247Sports. However, A&M is recruiting him as a defensive end. That is his preferred spot, but he is more open now to playing on the interior.

“That’s a good question. I know I’m going to grow some more so [some] people are saying d-tackle,” Broughton said. “But I don’t care, to be honest. I just want to be on the field. That’s all I’ve got to say.”

Broughton has narrowed things to the five schools where he took officials so it’s not surprising that he mentioned coaches from each program as the ones he communicates with the most.

“There’s several,” he said. “Coach Giles from UT, coach Johnson from Ohio State, coach Price from Texas A&M. And I’m good with coach Morris from Arkansas. He and I are like cool friends. And coach DJ, the defensive line coach at LSU.”

Broughton’s younger sister is a recruit in her own right as a basketball player. Whoever lands him could be getting both siblings.

“She does want to follow me,” he said. “My mom wants us to stay close to each other. It could be a good chance (we go the same place

• Like 1

Spoiler

A few things from Joshuah Moten

Jason Howell

9:19p

Staff

I spoke with Fort Washington (MD) National Christian Academy CB Joshuah Moten tonight. He is down to Nebraska and Texas A&M, and he plans to announce his college choice at 2 pm ET tomorrow (July 2).

"Nebraska, I love their tradition, Coach Frost and the coaching staff and I love all their players too. And I just like their vibe. They're pretty chilled and laid back. They don't do too much to impress me. They give you the real run down.

"Texas A&M, I liked the coaching staff too, and I like how they prayed. Before every meal they prayed and that's a big thing for them and a big thing for me and the other players as well. And what they run would fit me. 

He says he has known it was between two schools for awhile now, and he is excited tomorrow. He does plans to sit down with his family tonight to discuss the pros and cons one more time before his announcement. 

14 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

A few things from Joshuah Moten

Jason Howell

9:19p

Staff

I spoke with Fort Washington (MD) National Christian Academy CB Joshuah Moten tonight. He is down to Nebraska and Texas A&M, and he plans to announce his college choice at 2 pm ET tomorrow (July 2).

"Nebraska, I love their tradition, Coach Frost and the coaching staff and I love all their players too. And I just like their vibe. They're pretty chilled and laid back. They don't do too much to impress me. They give you the real run down.

"Texas A&M, I liked the coaching staff too, and I like how they prayed. Before every meal they prayed and that's a big thing for them and a big thing for me and the other players as well. And what they run would fit me. 

He says he has known it was between two schools for awhile now, and he is excited tomorrow. He does plans to sit down with his family tonight to discuss the pros and cons one more time before his announcement. 

That sounds like a kid going to pick Nebraska.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The comp I liked the most was Clowney. Clowney is certainly athletic as hell, and when he hasn't been injured, has been a pretty damned good pro.

But in college? He had one good play and a lot of naps. If he's another Clowney, they shouldn't be happy about it at all.

i say this carefully with the gravity it commands, but this might be your worst take ever.

• Like 2

He's basically the next Deion. 

Spoiler

Some thoughts on the Ags' most recent commitment, Fort Washington (MD) cornerback Joshuah Moten‍:

• Here's a young man that Mike Elko and Mo Linguist absolutely fell in love with during the evaluation process, passing over several cover men who were more well-known on A&M message boards and, instead, going halfway across the country to nab one of the top defensive backs on the East Coast. 

What the Ags saw in Moten was probably the same thing James Franklin and Penn State saw while clinging to his commitment for four months before Joshuah opened things up. The dude can flat out cover, has an uncoachable knack for locating and making a play on the football and is an instinctive playmaker on the island. He's a pure cornerback blessed with terrific feet and all-around athletic skills. 

When watching Moten's tape, the words smooth, instinctive and fluid come to mind. Whether he's flipping his hips and turning to run downfield with would-be pass-catchers, going up to intercept a pass (and usually coming down with the catch thanks to wide receiver-caliber hands), stopping on a dime and breaking on the ball or jumping a route, Joshuah makes it all look very natural and oftentimes, easy. The four-star commit is also a reliable open field tackler who always seems to maintain balance and leverage. More than anything else, however, he's a ballhawk and playmaker, with eight interceptions and ten turnovers forced as a sophomore and junior at National Christian Academy just outside of D.C.

Elko is also looking for (at least) plus size and length at the position and Moten checks both of those boxes. He's got very long arms and reach and, at just under 6-0 and (a still relatively skinny) 170 pounds, is probably going to be a 6-0 (plus), 190-pound cover man by the time he's done growing.

• Moten ultimately chose the Aggies over Penn State and Nebraska but held offers from the likes of Michigan, OU, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Oregon, Virginia Tech, UNC and Arkansas, among others. He becomes A&M's 14th commit and is the second cornerback pledge, joining longtime Class of 2020 ringleader Jaylon Jones‍. Jaylon and Joshuah are very likely to be joined by another Joshua about a month from now, as Aldine MacArthur's Josh Eaton‍ is set to announce August 6. 

From there, I'd expect Elko, LInguist and the Aggies to attempt to add one more corner and all signs point to them targeting a pair of OU commits in Ryan Watts‍ and Missouri burner Dontae Manning‍ for the final spot. For those wondering about numbers, consider this: The Aggies did not sign a single corner in 2018 (and only one DB total) and inked just one high school cover man in '19 (215-pound specimen Erick Young). By the end of the 2020 season, the Ags will have lost Charles Oliver, Roney Elam, Debione Renfro, Myles Jones and incoming JC standout Elijah Blades. In other words, the on-campus experience following next season will feature Young (if he hasn't grown into a nickel or safety by then) and whoever the Aggies sign this December/February. That's it. And that's why being able to pull Moten out of D.C. (which has been a surprising hotbed of activity for the Ags in recent cycles) was such a big deal for the Ags.

• The addition of Moten also means that A&M has now landed 2020 commits from six different states - Texas, North Carolina, Maryland, New Jersey, Georgia and Tennessee. While cherry-picking from out-of-state will continue, all eyes are now focused on a pair of upcoming decisions, with Longview QB Haynes King expected to decide between the Aggies and Tennessee Vols sometime in the next week or so and Fort Bend Bush LB Kenneth Phillips announcing his decision in just two days.

9 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

It’s going to be really funny watching all these north East Coast kids try and assimilate into Bryan life. 

Won't be that hard. It's pretty shitty here too. Probably why theyre tapping that pipeline 

4 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

It’s going to be really funny watching all these north East Coast kids try and assimilate into Bryan life. 

The year was 2002; the scene was our daughter's first day at the Montessori pre-school near the Bryan Municipal Golf Course. My wife gets pulled aside by one of the other mothers, who introduces herself, says, "You're new to town, right?" and proceeds to deliver the line we quote to this day, with hoots and howls, when discussing what life in this community is like:  "It's really hard to break into Bryan society."

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Here's a young man that Mike Elko and Mo Linguist absolutely fell in love with during the evaluation process, passing over several cover men who were more well-known on A&M message boards and, instead, going halfway across the country to nab one of the top defensive backs on the East Coast. 

Lap it up aggies. Lap that shit up.

• Like 4

Let's try some truth ::

Joshuah Moten is 5'11" 165 pounds.  At that size he had a 4.3 shuttle and a fucking 28 inch vertical. He was a combo deal with his high school teammate OL Aaryn Parks. 

9 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

He's got very long arms and reach and, at just under 6-0 and (a still relatively skinny) 170 pounds, is probably going to be a 6-0 (plus), 190-pound cover man by the time he's done growing.

If you add 25 pounds to a kid that can't change direction or jump now, you don't have a "cover man". 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The year was 2002; the scene was our daughter's first day at the Montessori pre-school near the Bryan Municipal Golf Course. My wife gets pulled aside by one of the other mothers, who introduces herself, says, "You're new to town, right?" and proceeds to deliver the line we quote to this day, with hoots and howls, when discussing what life in this community is like:  "It's really hard to break into Bryan society."

She was being really literal.  The lack of windows on aggy's brutalist architecture makes the building virtually impenetrable to the ordinary thief.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

I'm still pissed we missed out on this kid. 

It feels like this kid is trying to convince himself and others that he loves aggy.  I could see him getting turned off during the season by aggy fans and actually signing somewhere else. He is way over the top with it. 

11 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Elko is also looking for (at least) plus size and length at the position and Moten checks both of those boxes. He's got very long arms and reach and, at just under 6-0 and (a still relatively skinny) 170 pounds, is probably going to be a 6-0 (plus), 190-pound cover man by the time he's done growing.

of all the dozens of billy's long-running bits, the random growth spurt is my favorite. 

5 minutes ago, texaslong said:

It feels like this kid is trying to convince himself and others that he loves aggy.  I could see him getting turned off during the season by aggy fans and actually signing somewhere else. He is way over the top with it. 

I dunno, man. Sometimes the guy in the garish clown makeup isn't wearing it for sinister reasons; sometimes, he's just a guy who really likes looking like a dork.

27 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

A&M has now landed 2020 commits from six different states - Texas, North Carolina, Maryland, New Jersey, Georgia and Tennessee. While cherry-picking from out-of-state will continue, 

5776cddbfd82a92f266f8b38e2357671.jpg

We found a better way to pick cherries, Uncle Jed!

DSC5960.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Like the aggswag guys that lead the charge before they all jumped ship.