2020 Alamo Bowl: Texas vs. Colorado

immamac

We have as many Alamo Bowl appearances in the last 30 years as we do Conference Championships.  Maybe football in Texas isn't as important as we think it is.  

Hardware, Championships, Titles.  These things used to mean something at Texas.  Now it's fucking t-shirts.  

Extrapolating?  We pay a guy $6mm for 4 years to average 5 losses per year.  30+ years.  That's not extrapolation.  That's more than a generation.  In that time, our program has taken home just 5 conference titles to match 5 Alamo Bowl bids.  That's insane.  We embrace mediocrity here because being "classy" is more important than hardware at UT.  

I said it when we signed him for an insane amount of money.  I said it again when we gave him a wildly undeserved extension.  Tom Herman is a damn good coach, but he was never worth the insane amount of money we paid/are paying him.  And I was neg repped into Bolivia for it.  And after 4+ years, I am still completely oblivious as to why y'all were so fascinated with him to begin with.  He has fucked us for another half decade.  But yeah, class.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Extrapolating?  We pay a guy $6mm for 4 years to average 5 losses per year.  30+ years.  That's not extrapolation.  That's more than a generation.  In that time, our program has taken home just 5 conference titles to match 5 Alamo Bowl bids.  That's insane.  We embrace mediocrity here because being "classy" is more important than hardware at UT.  

I said it when we signed him for an insane amount of money.  I said it again when we gave him a wildly undeserved extension.  Tom Herman is a damn good coach, but he was never worth the insane amount of money we paid/are paying him.  And I was neg repped into Bolivia for it.  And after 4+ years, I am still completely oblivious as to why y'all were so fascinated with him to begin with.  He has fucked us for another half decade.  But yeah, class.  

If a coach was 22-4 at his first head coaching job after winning a blowout national championship as an offensive coordinator and with blowout wins over FSU and OU in the same year as a head coach, would you think he had at least some potential if he came back to his alma mater?

Edited by Randolph Duke

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I wouldn't go extrapolating much from last night. Colorado might have been one of the worst teams we faced all year. Their QB Noyer was horrible.

This but Thompson still showed that he’s a good QB that can make good throws and decisions.

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

If a coach was 22-4 at his first head coaching job after winning a blowout national championship as an offensive coordinator and with blowout wins over FSU and OU in the same year as a head coach, would you think he had at least some potential if he came back to his alma mater?

I would love to see Herman coach at Cal Lutheran.  For a guy so well versed in higher ed., I'm surprised you don't know what "alma mater" means.  

Edited by Lobo

8 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

This but Thompson still showed that he’s a good QB that can make good throws and decisions.

Better than expected arm for sure. It was so refreshing to see a QB hit his receivers in stride. Almost forgot what that looked like. Sam would have massively underthrown Dixon on that long pass play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Damn good coach? What the fuck are you talking about?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I would love to see Herman coach at Cal Lutheran.  For a guy so well versed in higher ed., I'm surprised you don't know what "alma mater" means.  

I stand corrected. I didn't know "alma mater" was now restricted to only undergraduate degrees. Can you forward me a copy of the memo that instituted that policy? It will save me a fair amount of money that I would have otherwise donated to my alma mater graduate degree granting institution.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Better than expected arm for sure. It was so refreshing to see a QB hit his receivers in stride. Almost forgot what that looked like. Sam would have massively underthrown Dixon on that long pass play. 

My money is on taking a sack while he waited for Dixon to get more open, or tucking it and plowing into the backs of his blockers.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

It's not restricted, just general usage.  Just giving you shit man, relax.  You do enough work in the space to know that 99% of the time, the term refers to undergrad.  

We're all quite impressed with your graduate degree.  ;)

Just now, Irieguy said:

Or maybe somebody could have degrees from multiple colleges, genius. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks genius.  In polite society, "alma mater" almost exclusively refers to undergrad.  But thanks, I only attended UT for 2 years so I didn't know.  

Jesus, the point was that Tom Herman should go back to Cal Lutheran, or Houston, or Ohio State.  Anywhere, but fucking Texas.  He was an overpaid never-was when he was hired and I called him out on it to much shaggy/surly dismay.  He can go get fucked.  I regret every day he's spent on this campus.  

1 hour ago, LarTXHorn said:

You missed it. The ghost of Davy Crockett came out and bitch slapped the buffaloes for putting that picture with the Colorado flag at the Alamo. Was actually a great game to watch and sad when you realized what could've been 

I just finished watching the 2nd half since I slept through it last night - I also watched it after catching up on the thread fully.

You guys are hilarious, Bijan is the truth and all of us knew that coming in.

Sam definitely not hurt and chewed turtle out in front of the team, got benched and coach listened to Sam's advice with other players because butthurt.

A bit early to bust out the anointing oil on either of the backups we saw, but they definitely don't suck and look pretty fucking good. While the long ball was great to Kelvontay Dixon, he had the CU defender beat by a whole 5 yards and adjusted his gait to make the catch. The ball was thrown nice, but if you are telling me even Sam couldn't make that throw you you are projecting negative memories and I have plenty of film to show you otherwise. 

I thought Ash coached a hell of a game with some mistakes that need to be improved on, but for the most part for how long the defense was on the field a very good showing there. 

MVP to Bijan easily. Wish they would have dumped gasoline on Tom.

I'll remind you all of my prediction pre-game:

Before kickoff tonight the Longhorns come without all year starters at many skill positions. Sam will try his bestest to run away from the buffaloes that will surely be crashing through the decimated offensive line. RoJo will be the key to victory with his trusty sidekick Bijan Robinson who need to rush for a combined 200 yards to win the game. Colorado will come out in a strange cloud of skunky smelling smoke and be lethargic asking for snacks on the sidelines and throughout the game. Tom Herman will do his best turtle impression and fully display his completely limp dick energy in what is certain to be the final game as his coaching career at Texas. 

Seems pretty accurate.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Irieguy said:

Or maybe somebody could have degrees from multiple colleges, genius. 🤷🏻‍♂️

In the whole "Tom Herman" saga, the one thing I am truly enjoying is Tom's inability to understand that having a degree from Cal Lutheran doesn't necessarily make someone the smartest person in the room. One of Tom's biggest issues since becoming head coach at UT has been grasping the fact he is no longer the smartest person in the room.

At some point, bullshit doesn't count, only competence matters. He should have grasped that when his team got trucked by Ed Orgeron.

That being said, fuck it. It's in the books. Casey left us with a positive feeling. The guys who stuck with the program played well. We're baaaaack! (too soon?)

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I just finished watching the 2nd half since I slept through it last night - I also watched it after catching up on the thread fully.

Sam definitely not hurt and chewed turtle out in front of the team, got benched and coach listened to Sam's advice with other players because butthurt.

A bit early to bust out the anointing oil on either of the backups we saw, but they definitely don't suck and look pretty fucking good. While the long ball was great to Kelvontay Dixon, he had the CU defender beat by a whole 5 yards and adjusted his gait to make the catch. The ball was thrown nice, but if you are telling me even Sam couldn't make that throw you you are projecting negative memories and I have plenty of film to show you otherwise. 

I thought Ash coached a hell of a game with some mistakes that need to be improved on, but for the most part for how long the defense was on the field a very good showing there. 

Seems pretty accurate.

As we talked about yesterday, at least it was a fun game to watch. And not from the perspective of an ardent supporter of the program. My biggest complaint about Tom Herman is that he doesn't put a product on the field that is fun to watch as a fan of the game of college football.

Last night was one of the few UT football games in the Tom Herman era that was truly fun to watch.

I did an RCA on the slowness last night - apparently the search engine does not like it when I change the titles of big fast moving threads. Guess I'll stop doing that or figure out a better solution. It reindexes the whole thread when I do it causing about a 300-500ms slowdown to the thread in question.

image.thumb.png.434d5bf58936d1253ad52159dc3c8e6c.png

changed thread name at ~21:51

image.thumb.png.8f59cd7a6e0056f4d965d0aea9169627.png

image.thumb.png.f67da690055f6d3d704747a0aced6266.png

bunch of poopoo garbage collection happening

image.thumb.png.18c15d8916e2f2a2a5a07e86f1ee1412.png

causing a spike in query time (for searches which power the activity feed) and indexing time (which is the biggest slowdown after hitting the submit button for a new post)

10 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

As we talked about yesterday, at least it was a fun game to watch. And not from the perspective of an ardent supporter of the program. My biggest complaint about Tom Herman is that he doesn't put a product on the field that is fun to watch as a fan of the game of college football.

Last night was one of the few UT football games in the Tom Herman era that was truly fun to watch.

Calling the TD play is always a good way to get people to enjoy the game

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Thanks genius.  In polite society, "alma mater" almost exclusively refers to undergrad.  But thanks, I only attended UT for 2 years so I didn't know.  

Jesus, the point was that Tom Herman should go back to Cal Lutheran, or Houston, or Ohio State.  Anywhere, but fucking Texas.  He was an overpaid never-was when he was hired and I called him out on it to much shaggy/surly dismay.  He can go get fucked.  I regret every day he's spent on this campus.  

Yeah, but this is Surly

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think you're the first person to ever call Mensa classy, which kind of invalidates you're point.  I think.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Thompson's ball has pop and velocity.   Ehlinger's throws can occasionally be fair caught.    Watching the 2 throw last night was night and day.  Above and beyond, Thompson has some burst and elusiveness.  I don't want a QB having to run over LBs to get 5 or 6 yards.    Want a QB who can get 15 by making others miss and outrun them.   It's been many years since Texas had a QB that scared other teams and Thompson has that promise.    Doesn't matter if it was a shit defense last night - the difference between the two QBs was dramatic. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Do we have anyone who can cut up game film to highlight Casey's stellar play? Dude just makes plays. I like how decisive he appears to be. At least for this game, anyway.

YT TV cuts up all the key plays I don't know if they have those as youtube clips post game I'll look though. 

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

Seems pretty accurate.

Where are you hearing Sam chewed out Herman? Thought he looked pretty dinged up 

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Where are you hearing Sam chewed out Herman? Thought he looked pretty dinged up 

the announcers telling viewers that Sam went to the bench put the headphones on and asked if we were going to take the foot off the gas followed by him just not even letting the clock run down and running off the field and not coming back after halftime is pretty fucking indicative, but I also have no actual source. I wish he would have come and posted on surly though would have been golden.

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

the announcers telling viewers that Sam went to the bench put the headphones on and asked if we were going to take the foot off the gas followed by him just not even letting the clock run down and running off the field and not coming back after halftime is pretty fucking indicative, but I also have no actual source. I wish he would have come and posted on surly though would have been golden.

pretty. fucking. indicative.

I mean, I’m not gonna lie, I speculate that Sam also yelled at Herman and probably punched a wall which injured himself. 

but to say Casey wasn’t good or to even put him in the same sentence with Card last night is a complete joke. Casey went 8-10 for 170 and 4 TDs. Fuck off about the Dixon throw. It was completed, and not overthrown or extremely underthrown. He came in and torched the buffs. This shit about film showing Sam could make that throw..yeah I fucking hope so for a 4 year starter. I’ve also seen Sam miss guys 10 yards away so let’s just leave it at, Casey did a great job and show him the gratitude he deserves for sitting on the bench 3 years, not transferring and coming in when we needed him too. And fuck off to anyone that wants to take the position of Herman and act completely ignorant 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think they were talking about him saying that at last year's Alamo Bowl. Loved hearing that story though. Even Sam sees the Turtling

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

Got it. I thought that was another game they were referring to with the "are we gonna take our foot off the pedal" comment, and "let the coaches coach" retort.

Either way, I'm sure some words were exchanged. I personally like the punching wall or locker theory. 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Got it. I thought that was another game they were referring to with the "are we gonna take our foot off the pedal" comment, and "let the coaches coach" retort.

Either way, I'm sure some words were exchanged. I personally like the punching wall or locker theory. 

It *was* another game they were referring to. The announcers said nothing about Sam arguing with Herman this game. 

Sure feels like Sam has played hurt (shoulder, ribs) a huge chunk of the year and finally had enough. I don’t blame him. He has a future to think about. 

Tom, the POS he is, probably encouraged all year to play hurt to save his job.  

Him coming out on the sideline in a sling is going a long way to sell the injury bit for a guy who would not have a lot of reason to do so in that scenario
  • Hook 'Em 3