Texas at Kansas: 11 am on ESPN2. [84-59 FINAL TEXAS]

SDG

I was only able to watch the last 10ish minutes, but that was the most disrespectful ass-beating I can remember Texas ever handing out. Shaka had starters in the game until the final whistle and guys were pulling up for 3 in transition up 20 with 2 minutes left.

I guess if you're going to smack KU in Kansas then might as well REALLY smack them. More than doubled the margin of Self's previous worst home loss at Kansas. (Granted it was more of a home* game this season)

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I was only able to watch the last 10ish minutes, but that was the most disrespectful ass-beating I can remember Texas ever handing out. Shaka had starters in the game until the final whistle and guys were pulling up for 3 in transition up 20 with 2 minutes left.

I guess if you're going to smack KU in Kansas then might as well REALLY smack them. More than doubled the margin of Self's previous worst home loss at Kansas. (Granted it was more of a home* game this season)

It was probably pretty damn cathartic

And we only rolled 8 deep today anyhow due to 2 COVID, Febres still out and Lidell who left the team.  That’s why starters were in 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We only had 8 guys available. The Liddell transfer brought our roster from 12 to 11. Then Royce and Hepa were out due to Covid which brought us to 9. And I forgot that Febres hasn't been cleared yet which left us with 8. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It was probably pretty damn cathartic

And we only rolled 8 deep today anyhow due to 2 COVID, Febres still out and Lidell who left the team.  That’s why starters were in 

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We only had 8 guys available. The Liddell transfer brought our roster from 12 to 11. Then Royce and Hepa were out due to Covid which brought us to 9. And I forgot that Febres hasn't been cleared yet which left us with 8. 

Good point(s). Doesn't change the way we were playing. We were going for the jugular. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Kentucky is fucked. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

They are terrible. We should win convincingly 

Would probably be a more competitive game against the UK women's team.  

Nice Blueblood trifecta if Texas pulls it off against UK. 

12 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Was not able to watch today.  Looks like Greg Brown had (another?) off game — what was up with him today?

I haven't looked at a box score but watched every minute of the game.  It felt like he didn't get a lot of PT.  I think other guys were just hitting shots and he wasn't so Shaka kept him on the bench.  I think he had a good impact while he was in the game, but was just off today.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

I’m not down on him.  Watched him play a couple of times when he was in HS.  Just seems like he hasn’t hit a consistent stride yet, but hopefully it will come.

Brown has been on a tear the last 5 games. This was his first quiet game in a while.

3 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I’m not down on him.  Watched him play a couple of times when he was in HS.  Just seems like he hasn’t hit a consistent stride yet, but hopefully it will come.

I understand. Freshmen have their ups and downs but he is a major contributor in many different ways.

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It just occurred to me that Texas has now beaten Kansas, indiana, and North Carolina already this year.

This is fun to think about.  Granted IU and UNC aren't as top-tiered this year as they usually are, but both are good teams and UNC is gonna make some noise in the post-season (if there is one).  And we beat those three blue-bloods on the road (not that the FEC has some sort of built-in advantage, it barely has built-in plumbing).  And we've still got to travel to Kentucky.  That would be damn impressive to beat those four elite programs on the road.  Only other one to toss in there would be UCLA (maybe in March?). 

I think back to 2012, losing the Maui Invitational in just tremendous fashion.  We come out of the gate with a 13-point loss to Chaminade.  Who I don't think even has an actual athletics program.  We were seeded as a favor with them, and then opposite Illinois who was a bottom-half conference performer that season.  We were set up to storm to the championship finals.  But we fucked it up and lost to Chaminade and then a shitty USC team in OT (who would go on to win only 14 games that year).  That tournament was the beginning of the end for Coach Barnes...much as I hated to see him go.  And it took a really, really, really long time for Shaka's footing to take hold here at Texas.  And as stated upthread, he is a helluva good guy (unlike Herman who was a cunt from day one).  And the season is still young and it's gonna be hard for him to make up for so many years of subpar performance that cost us a shit-ton of money.....but Shaka took home the Maui Invitational title, just beat the ever living shit out of Kansas in Lawrence, and this team is looking really fun for the first time in nearly a decade.  

Uh, hook 'em and so forth...

Watched this glorious game yesterday in disbelief. Didn’t post because I was focused on the Herman announcement. But let me say now, that was absolutely incredible. 

“Go with the Fro!”

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Watched this glorious game yesterday in disbelief. Didn’t post because I was focused on the Herman announcement. But let me say now, that was absolutely incredible. 

“Go with the Fro!”

I told a KU buddy that if we shot 3s like that every single game, we'd be unbeatable. Of course, I followed it up with saying we'd shoot 2 for 24 next time against the Jayhawks...but it was indeed glorious to watch. 

That little sequence in the beginning of the 2nd half when Kansas brought it within 4, then Texas turned around and hit 4 three pointers in a row and never looked back is no joke the best sequence in Texas basketball history.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigXII said:

That little sequence in the beginning of the 2nd half when Kansas brought it within 4, then Texas turned around and hit 4 three pointers in a row and never looked back is no joke the best sequence in Texas basketball history.

I prefer the last 5.12 of the second half of the great sooner buttfucking of 2016. 

always worth a watch

• Hook 'Em 2

I re-watched the second half today... you know, just to gloat or whatever.  

Kansas' shot selection in the second half was just horrid.  They didn't go right at the rim, because Texas is really long and athletic.  They ended up taking a lot of running shots where they were sweeping across the paint or down toward the baseline... but not really AT the rim.  Very low % shots.  Must have been frustrating to be a KU fan and think about how much NBA talent was on the roster, and yet *those* were the shots you were getting.... ugh.  

No reason this Texas team shouldn't be playing in a regional final on the second tourney weekend.  

Really just depends on two things, IMO... 1)  Shot selection.    I think the Bilas commentary was 100% on-the-money.  A big part of why Texas was on fire from behind the arc is because we were being patient and using dribble penetration to set up teammates.  Our 3's were in-rhythm squared-up catch-and-shoots.  There were very few hero-ball step-backs.   2). Don't pick up a bunch of stupid reach-in fouls 30 feet from the basket in the first 5 minutes of every half.  Our team looks really good this year, but we still like to give away cheap fouls by slapping at the other team right after they secure a rebound, or when they're setting ball screens way out near half court.  

• Like 2