Herman Firing Player Reaction Metathread

immamac

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Herman's best season was basically on the backs of Charlie guys.

Absolutely, when I say that I am referring to their attitudes/maturity. Took Herman coming in and instilling some basic understanding of football to get them to put together a solid season. You can hate the guy but also recognize he did a better job for you and your team than Charlie; instead dudes like Elliot and Omenihu have gone out of their way to badmouth the program because they dislike the coach, which I find pretty lame.

I’m gonna go bathe in battery acid now, because defending dipshit in any capacity is gross.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Absolutely, when I say that I am referring to their attitudes/maturity. Took Herman coming in and instilling some basic understanding of football to get them to put together a solid season. You can hate the guy but also recognize he did a better job for you and your team than Charlie; instead dudes like Elliot and Omenihu have gone out of their way to badmouth the program because they dislike the coach, which I find pretty lame.

I’m gonna go bathe in battery acid now, because defending dipshit in any capacity is gross.

Perhaps if Tom had treated those guys well instead of like shit then they’d have a different opinion of Tom. It has nothing to do with instilling a culture because Tom Herman didn’t do that 3 years later. He just treated them like shit because they weren’t his recruits. 

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Perhaps if Tom had treated those guys well instead of like shit then they’d have a different opinion of Tom. It has nothing to do with instilling a culture because Tom Herman didn’t do that 3 years later. He just treated them like shit because they weren’t his recruits. 

Like I said, hate him all you want (hell, we all do). But also understand he’s not the entirety of the football program and taking pot shots to hurt him also hurts your former teammates and the university at large.

Youd think Elliott would at least appreciate the basic competence that led to him starting over Jason Hall. The incompetence of the Strong era is truly something to behold.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Like I said, hate him all you want (hell, we all do). But also understand he’s not the entirety of the football program and taking pot shots to hurt him also hurts your former teammates and the university at large.

Youd think Elliott would at least appreciate the basic competence that led to him starting over Jason Hall. The incompetence of the Strong era is truly something to behold.

Both eras are completely incompetent. Like I said he didn’t have to treat the strong guys like he did regardless and it was a fuck up on Herman’s fault. So ofc those guys are going to take shots because of how Tom treated them. 

The good news is former players who are not even strongs guys from our school like this hire a lot and even guys who played under sark who were and are currently in the nfl have nothing but good things to say about him. 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Both eras are completely incompetent. Like I said he didn’t have to treat the strong guys like he did regardless and it was a fuck up on Herman’s fault. So ofc those guys are going to take shots because of how Tom treated them. 

The good news is former players who are not even strongs guys from our school like this hire a lot and even guys who played under sark who were and are currently in the nfl have nothing but good things to say about him. 

Definitely going to be nice not having that fucked up dynamic going on anymore.. I don’t think any players are going to bemoan dipshit’s firing and regardless of how you feel about him as a hire, Sark doesn’t come across as a prick.

Lets get this thing rolling again 🤘

The difference between Sark and Herman will be like night and day.  One guy is genuinely loved by his players and he seems to truly care for them.  The other guy started his first team meeting with the words “sit the fuck up” and proceeded establish a my way or the Highway attitude.  Herman wants to be a meathead drill sergeant coach.  You think players liked eating burnt toast after practice?  Herman is and was a gimmick coach.  I think you’re going to see much better buy in and fewer transfers than you normally would during a transition.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

There’s a contingent of people who believe Saban may be retiring after this season

That'd be pretty surprising to me, Saban isn't *that* old. But stealing Bama's OC and OL coach the same year Saban retires would be pretty funny. Blake Brockermeyer would be beside himself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, SDG said:

Some reactions compiled by KVUE

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/ncaa/longhorns/texas-longhorns-herman-fired-reaction/269-3aa57ccc-5eeb-455c-a4fa-6dc4218a7a62

I dont see any threats to leave so that's positive.  

Sterns about to find out the business in the NFL is worse. That kid has some stupid ass thoughts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe the thread should be called Player and other reactions.  You didn't specify which players from when (all my post are former players) also thread was getting stale...

image.png.b5d33e5e7c7e2fb9f81b7e2f6edef8cc.png

image.png.1f70cfa1bd0b529bdda89aafce76dec9.png

and then was liked by several Cali HS football coach.  This is good for recruiting.  

image.png.7f34f2fffb9cd8ff9b496acee4b1538d.png

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm eager to see how this affects L.J. Johnson. Of course, after aggy's win for the ages against a depleted UNC last night, I'm sure they figure they have all the momentum they need in that one. 

Good thing Bijan keeps in constant contact with him. Might be able to reel him in after his talk with Sark today or yesterday. New future 

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Maybe the thread should be called Player and other reactions.  You didn't specify which players from when (all my post are former players) also thread was getting stale...

image.png.b5d33e5e7c7e2fb9f81b7e2f6edef8cc.png

image.png.1f70cfa1bd0b529bdda89aafce76dec9.png

and then was liked by several Cali HS football coach.  This is good for recruiting.  

image.png.7f34f2fffb9cd8ff9b496acee4b1538d.png

Sark recruiting 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Honestly I'd probably be more worried if players didn't support the position coaches that worked with them day in and day out.  Its frustration on twitter - nothing more.

And if it is more than that the new staff will take care of it.  Players have a free pass to portal wherever they find a spot.  If some players truly can't get over the idea of playing for a new coaching staff at Texas they have options.

As soon as the new staff is in place and had has a chance to meet with players - and set out what their expectations are for each of them - I don't think there will be any issues.

This of course assumes that Sark doesn't come in and immediately berate them and tell them what shitty human beings they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

what's bullshit about it? are you upset that players are being honest with recruits or upset that reality of the situation is so bad that the truth scares away most recruits?

More the latter, which you might have understood if you had quoted the second sentence. A coach who can relate to his players intervenes before things get that bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

More the latter, which you might have understood if you had quoted the second sentence. A coach who can relate to his players intervenes before things get that bad.

things only get "that bad" when it's clear the boss isn't capable of doing his job, and no amount of relatable matters when that's clear to all involved. it'll be the same with sark. the players might end up loving him, but if it's clear he isn't getting the best out of them, they will be honest with recruits.

nick saban is about as relatable to an 18 year old kid as pussy is to jerseyman. 

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Honestly I'd probably be more worried if players didn't support the position coaches that worked with them day in and day out.  Its frustration on twitter - nothing more.

And if it is more than that the new staff will take care of it.  Players have a free pass to portal wherever they find a spot.  If some players truly can't get over the idea of playing for a new coaching staff at Texas they have options.

As soon as the new staff is in place and had has a chance to meet with players - and set out what their expectations are for each of them - I don't think there will be any issues.

This of course assumes that Sark doesn't come in and immediately berate them and tell them what shitty human beings they are.

That’s why the snap conclusion to keep so many coaches and staff is really just misplaced.