Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

This. Restinmybones is a unimpeachable source on clandestine activities and what some might coin conspiracy theories. Please tell us more, where exactly does Texas stand in that group of “everyone”? Throw off the gloves and tinfoil hat, tell us what you know. 

I have no idea where Texas stands. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Either way this is great. We are going to get a god damn stud WR coach or OU is going to have to overpay like a mother fucker. Swing our fucking dicks

That feeling when you realize even the offer not being accepted or the "back up" option is not a bad outcome.

tumblr_pooprrKmPD1qe0nj4_1280.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have Jekyll and Hide feelings about the QB position and how it should be utilized. On one hand, you want a QB with a great arm and ability to execute a sophisticated passing attack. 

But on the other hand, a QB with great running ability, combined with a great arm and either a sophisticated or simple passing attack is the most difficult combination to defend.

Of course I want a QB that can do both, but those are really hard to find, so I understand the statement about not looking for a running QB. But at the same time I want utopia and Sark is telling me I’m not going to get it. 

its less hard to find those guys these days than when Brewster forced Mack to take Vince.  the best overall athlete on offense used to be at RB(almost exclusively).  now he's the QB(a lot but not always).  I'm sure Sark will run the QB.  It just won't be QB Power.

Edited by dcar00

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I couldn’t find 2020 but in 2019 Simmons made 460k. Now being offered in the neighborhood of 900k? He’s coming imo.

How does Oklahoma get close to that number without having to substantially boost all other assistants?

He’s really going to turn down double the pay? I fucking doubt it  

Drumm says yes Sark and Simmons are close, and the offer is close to double, but Riley is aware of their relationship and the offer amount, and will do whatever it takes to make sure he stays. Someone else said that Simmons is godfather to one of Riley's kids. 

Might as well make these schools pay top dollar to keep their best assistants 

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Not to piss in the Dennis Simmons money whip excitement here but..  TFB is still a bottom bitch covering ou, right?  Think they might be doing a solid for Simmons (source?) into getting a raise, or am I thinking too much here?

FCB a thing or is it TFB? These fucking names are confusing me. Who is the person with the direct line to CDC during this that is breaking all the names?

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Not to piss in the Dennis Simmons money whip excitement here but..  TFB is still a bottom bitch covering ou, right?  Think they might be doing a solid for Simmons (source?) into getting a raise, or am I thinking too much here?

You think TFB reporting this is how OU finds out as opposed to...Simmons just telling Riley this is my offer pay up or risk losing me

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

I'm less concerned about Sark in 2021 than I am about Sark in, say, 2023. I don't know the dude, but just in my experience as a recovering alcoholic, it's easier to be sober when things are going well: when things are calm at home, when things are going well at work (when you're winning Broyles Awards, promotions, coaching NCGs), etc. I just hope he'll stay strong when he hits a few tough losses, he starts getting criticized by the media, after a big disagreement with his ex-wife, or even if he's fired in 3-4 years for not meeting expectations.

Not that it's been a cakewalk professionally for him since he left rehab (see Atlanta Falcons), and I think he's shown enough to earn another HC gig, but I just hope he continues to maintain it.

He was fired from the Falcons.  He didn’t go on some bender and relapse.  He went to Bama and by accounts was the best coordinator they have had there under Saban.  I think we’re making too much of his battles.  He was 33 and young when he made some poor choices.  He’s 46, with a child, and seems to have a very good perspective about what he needs to do to get back to what his aspirations were.  

I also doubt our administration would hire him without vetting and investigating his history the last 5 years.  By all account, the people that work with him, believe in him.  There a reason the Bama coaches are possibly following him to Texas.  They wouldn’t jeopardize their careers if he was showed those red flags.  He’s also been at multiple big time programs so he knows what he’s walking into as far as pressure is concerned and probably has a very good support system with his wife, sponsors, and mentors.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FCB a thing or is it TFB? These fucking names are confusing me. Who is the person with the direct line to CDC during this that is breaking all the names?

FCB has been CDC's mouth piece.  TFB has a lot of OU sources since they have an OU site and that's where they started.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For reference here are the highest paid receiver coaches in 2020.

image.png.6930e506993c4cbfce6cc10fa042bf27.png

Looks like the top two on that list are also listed as their team's "passing game coordinator" to justify their price tag, Craig seems to be the highest paid pure WR coach. 

I'm assuming there are no rules to these titles right? You can have an OC, passing & running game coordinator, a two-minute drill coordinator and whatever other bullshit to appease the hire and justify their salary to the school board?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He was fired from the Falcons.  He didn’t go on some bender and relapse.  He went to Bama and by accounts was the best coordinator they have had there under Saban.  I think we’re making too much of his battles.  He was 33 and young when he made some poor choices.  He’s 46, with a child, and seems to have a very good perspective about what he needs to do to get back to what his aspirations were.  

I also doubt our administration would hire him without vetting and investigating his history the last 5 years.  By all account, the people that work with him, believe in him.  There a reason the Bama coaches are possibly following him to Texas.  They wouldn’t jeopardize their careers if he was showed those red flags.  He’s also been at multiple big time programs so he knows what he’s walking into as far as pressure is concerned and probably has a very good support system with his wife, sponsors, and mentors.

Apparently between he and his wife they have 7 kids.  But, to your point, 33 and handed the keys to UW?  Yeah, I'd be a drunk too.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FCB is Chip Brown at 247, the F is for Fuck that garbage piece of shit for always writing hit pieces on Texas. For some reason, he is CDC’s mouthpiece right now. TFB is a site that mainly covers recruiting at ou and Texas. 

Edited by TXRed
Words
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Drumm says yes Sark and Simmons are close, and the offer is close to double, but Riley is aware of their relationship and the offer amount, and will do whatever it takes to make sure he stays. Someone else said that Simmons is godfather to one of Riley's kids. 

Fuck it... Go down the list of top position coaches within our recruiting region that have some form of link to Sark and offer 1M a piece and see what shakes out. LSU DBs, OU WRs, any of them that might cause some discomfort to our rexruting rivals... do it.

Worst case they all get raises and then the rest of the staff wonders where is theirs.. Which is hard to get by with during COVID

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TXRed said:

FCB is Chip Brown at 247, the F is for Fuck that garbage piece of shit for always writing hit pieces on Texas. For some reason, he is CDC’s mouthpiece right now. TFB is a site that mainly covers recruiting at ou and Texas. 

Not at all surprised that CDC trusts Chip.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

No problem. Offer 1 mil and get a gang of assholes on here to make him their kids' godfather. Problem solved.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For reference here are the highest paid receiver coaches in 2020.

image.png.6930e506993c4cbfce6cc10fa042bf27.png

The other option for Oklahoma ... ole Cale Gundy's fate:

Trapdoor Simpsons GIF - Trapdoor Simpsons Burns GIFs

"Congratulations, Dennis - you now make $995,000!  Just handle those inside receivers too, mmkayy??"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have Jekyll and Hide feelings about the QB position and how it should be utilized. On one hand, you want a QB with a great arm and ability to execute a sophisticated passing attack. 

But on the other hand, a QB with great running ability, combined with a great arm and either a sophisticated or simple passing attack is the most difficult combination to defend.

Of course I want a QB that can do both, but those are really hard to find, so I understand the statement about not looking for a running QB. But at the same time I want utopia and Sark is telling me I’m not going to get it. 

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Trite as it sounds, we should do whatever plays to our QB's strengths. Simple as that.

In the video, Sark plainly states that he would rather morph his plan to meet the needs of the players, than coach the player to the needs of the plan. That's exactly what we've been bitching about for years, at least from Mack & co. to present. He will recruit players to his system and if he ends up with other choices, will tailor his system to fit their skill set. Talk about a breath of fresh air. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There’s always the chance that Saban really is retiring, in which case he doesn’t care that staff is leaving. Low odds, but one can dream. 
Thats not something I want right now, just opens the door for aggy since the rest of the SEC sucks shit through a straw. What I'd like is to get Texas to a level we can seek revenge for 09...then everything will come full circle for his post game retirement announcement.

Just now, JesusSweatDuck said:

He's better off staying at Cincy and waiting until next year.  LSU staff is going to get cleaned out at the end of next season IMO

If they're going to triple his salary it's probably not a bad gamble. 

The problem with running qbs is when they aren’t much faster than a fullback and get used as a battering ram instead of being quick enough to get around the corner and then out of bounds.  You can probably count the number of hard hits Vince took on your fingers.  And if he did lower his shoulder, the only bigger defenders than him were lineman. It’s the fullback Ellinger types or small guys that always end up hurt.  The other problem is that most qbs fall in to one of those categories.

Edited by kevwun

39 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Stating the obvious, but this process is such a breath of fresh air compared to the Shawn Watson/Derek Warhime/Drew Mehringer shit sandwiches we were forced to eat the last two times around. TBD how good the final staff will be, but we are at least shooting our shot.

I was ambivalent about the Sark hire, but this process is a positive sign.

I'll wait until all the ink is dry.

It looks good. Then again, we are mostly getting our info from $9.95ers. It ain't all the truth.