Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

Personally, I want Sarkisian calling plays. If it turns out the he can’t do that and game day management, hire or assign someone who can. I’m not yet convinced he can’t, but some who can trace every failure back to him or his doing both are convinced he can’t. 

I don’t really understand the calls for an OC anyway. Sark is renowned for his abilities as a OC. You don’t lean into his weakness by taking that away. You lean into his strength by featuring that and hiring whatever support you need on the game day management side.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2022 Bama game was lost by our D?

Yeah, you coulds say that it was. You can argue it was the refs - I wouldn't dispute that a lot. You can argue it was Ewers' injury - I wouldn't dispute that a lot, either.

The fact is, though, the offense handed our D a 2-point lead with a minute and a half to go, and Bama on their own 25. Get a stop, we win. But no, they give up two 20+ plays, and Bama doesn't miss their FG.

Complain about using "lost" to describe what they did... or didn't do, to be fair. It's like the 2008 Tech game, where our current Safeties coach had a tipped pass hit him right in the hands, and dropped it. He could have won the game, but he didn't. Being behind 19-0 before we really got going, and outscoring Tech 33-13 the rest of the way, and giving them the ball with that same minute and a half of time left, all we had to do was get a stop... but we didn't. Many Shaggies opined that Gideon lost the game, and at least one of the arguments was that other DBs lost because they couldn't tackle Crabtree inside our five just moments later, and the DBs were blamed for that. But they needed to hold him up without tackling and let the clock run out, because Tech had a timeout and coulda-woulda used it, kicked the XP-distance FG and won anyway.

Giving the D against Bama the same treatment: they could have won the game, but they didn't. They played a great game, they held Bama to their lowest total of the year. But when the chips were down, they couldn't do it.

Did the D lose the game? They had the opportunity to win, and they didn't. Call it what you like.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex Long said:

Yeah, you coulds say that it was. You can argue it was the refs - I wouldn't dispute that a lot. You can argue it was Ewers' injury - I wouldn't dispute that a lot, either.

The fact is, though, the offense handed our D a 2-point lead with a minute and a half to go, and Bama on their own 25. Get a stop, we win. But no, they give up two 20+ plays, and Bama doesn't miss their FG.

Complain about using "lost" to describe what they did... or didn't do, to be fair. It's like the 2008 Tech game, where our current Safeties coach had a tipped pass hit him right in the hands, and dropped it. He could have won the game, but he didn't. Being behind 19-0 before we really got going, and outscoring Tech 33-13 the rest of the way, and giving them the ball with that same minute and a half of time left, all we had to do was get a stop... but we didn't. Many Shaggies opined that Gideon lost the game, and at least one of the arguments was that other DBs lost because they couldn't tackle Crabtree inside our five just moments later, and the DBs were blamed for that. But they needed to hold him up without tackling and let the clock run out, because Tech had a timeout and coulda-woulda used it, kicked the XP-distance FG and won anyway.

Giving the D against Bama the same treatment: they could have won the game, but they didn't. They played a great game, they held Bama to their lowest total of the year. But when the chips were down, they couldn't do it.

Did the D lose the game? They had the opportunity to win, and they didn't. Call it what you like.

YOU said the D was responsible for the loss. Then YOU said it was the O’s failure to convert in red zone. You.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t really understand the calls for an OC anyway. Sark is renowned for his abilities as a OC. You don’t lean into his weakness by taking that away. You lean into his strength by featuring that and hiring whatever support you need on the game day management side.

Yeah. I don’t see why that would be especially controversial. 

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You lean into his strength by featuring that and hiring whatever support you need on the game day management side.

I'm not sure how accurate this was, but awhile back it was mentioned in an On Texas Football video that Joe DeCamillis would helping both with special teams and some game management areas.

Found this in an old On3 article...

“What a wealth of knowledge and experience DeCamillis provides,” Sarkisian said. “He’s been around some great coaches, been around some great players. A year ago, Dave Brock was on our staff (as a senior analyst) and he’s now with Rutgers. Dave worked with us on offense and then worked with me on a weekly basis from a game management standpoint. Joe D is going to assume some of that responsibility with me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

YOU said the D was responsible for the loss. Then YOU said it was the O’s failure to convert in red zone. You.

Yes. Yes, I did. Why not both? Dot jpg.

Better yet, why not all teams? O only scored 6, ST only scored 13, and D didn't score at all Yeah, I know... the D did score, but the refs took it away.

The O put us ahead, by a single point, but ahead. The D had to not let Bama move the ball close enough for a FG. They didn't. They coulda won it. They didn't.

The O stumble-fucked around, scored more times than Bama did, but only got it over the goal line once. They coulda woulda won it if they scored more. They didn't.

ST shoulda given us the winning margin with a FG right at halftime. They didn't. Auburn was atrocious, he only hit 4 out of 5.

I say it was on the D, because they had the opportunity to close it out. They didn't. Maybe you'd like to blame the O because they didn't score with 10 seconds left, only got 25 or 30 yards when they needed 75.

Just now, Tex Long said:

Yes. Yes, I did. Why not both? Dot jpg.

Better yet, why not all teams? O only scored 6, ST only scored 13, and D didn't score at all Yeah, I know... the D did score, but the refs took it away.

The O put us ahead, by a single point, but ahead. The D had to not let Bama move the ball close enough for a FG. They didn't. They coulda won it. They didn't.

The O stumble-fucked around, scored more times than Bama did, but only got it over the goal line once. They coulda woulda won it if they scored more. They didn't.

ST shoulda given us the winning margin with a FG right at halftime. They didn't. Auburn was atrocious, he only hit 4 out of 5.

I say it was on the D, because they had the opportunity to close it out. They didn't. Maybe you'd like to blame the O because they didn't score with 10 seconds left, only got 25 or 30 yards when they needed 75.

You didn’t say “both.” You said three of the four losses were on the defense, including Alabama. Until you blamed the offense for not converting in the red zone. 

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You didn’t say “both.” You said three of the four losses were on the defense, including Alabama. Until you blamed the offense for not converting in the red zone. 

Who do YOU blame, then?

O took the ball close enough for a FG attempt. ST made the FG to put us ahead with a minute and a half to play. D failed to stop Bama, and gave up two explosive plays in the process.

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Who do YOU blame, then?

O took the ball close enough for a FG attempt. ST made the FG to put us ahead with a minute and a half to play. D failed to stop Bama, and gave up two explosive plays in the process.

I’d say it was a team loss. The offense didn’t convert the chances it had. Missed a field goal. The defense, despite being screwed out of an earlier safety and an uncalled holding that allowed it, didn’t make the necessary stops on Alabama’s last possession. A lot of plays were made, but not enough to seal the deal. I think Texas wins if Ewers doesn’t get hurt, just like Texas wins if McCoy doesn’t get hurt. But they did.

All things considered, though, if you hold a team to 20 points you need to come out with a win. This isn’t 1983 anymore.

Then again, I’m not the one who, two days ago, said the Alabama game was one of three that were the fault of the defense and who today said it was the fault of the offense failing to capitalize in the red zone simply, apparently, just to argue against whatever point was being made at the time. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Pointing out your contradictory positions on the same question isn’t arguing.

First, they're not contradictory, they're complimentary. Second, your understanding of "argue" is lacking. It's hard to believe you were an English major at Texas.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:52 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

I’d say it was a team loss. The offense didn’t convert the chances it had. Missed a field goal. The defense, despite being screwed out of an earlier safety and an uncalled holding that allowed it, didn’t make the necessary stops on Alabama’s last possession. A lot of plays were made, but not enough to seal the deal. I think Texas wins if Ewers doesn’t get hurt, just like Texas wins if McCoy doesn’t get hurt. But they did.

All things considered, though, if you hold a team to 20 points you need to come out with a win. This isn’t 1983 anymore.

Then again, I’m not the one who, two days ago, said the Alabama game was one of three that were the fault of the defense and who today said it was the fault of the offense failing to capitalize in the red zone simply, apparently, just to argue against whatever point was being made at the time. 

Definitely a team loss. All three phases of the game were coached and put in a position to win and could have probably done so had any one of the team units executed on just one more play. Not each, just one play amongst them.

Throw in the two obvious blown calls (safety and k Robinson faskmask) and refs got in on the action too.

Sark's failure to call a to before the chip shot miss just before half also pics up the coaching blame as well without considering any other more subtle errors.

All in all there were 5 plays that were a combination of easy ref calls that were not made or simply completing a perfectly set up play to it's seemingly routine and inevitable conclusion that resulted in a net point differential of 15 points.

Bama had theirs too, but they were more of the garden variety where the poor execution had more than one factor involved and Texas had enough of those too, to balance that out.

When Bama had the perfect opportunities, they executed and that was the difference, Ref fuckery aside.

3 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Definitely a team loss. All three phases of the game were coached and put in a position to win and could have probably done so had any one of the team units executed on just one more play. Not each, just one play amongst them.

Throw in the two obvious blown calls (safety and k Robinson faskmask) and refs got in on the action too.

Sark's failure to call a to before the chip shot miss just before half also pics up the coaching blame as well without considering any other more subtle errors.

All in all there were 5 plays that were a combination of easy ref calls that were not made or simply completing a perfectly set up play to it's seemingly routine and inevitable conclusion that resulted in a net point differential of 15 points.

Bama had theirs too, but they were more of the garden variety where the poor execution had more than one factor involved and Texas had enough of those too, to balance that out.

When Bama had the perfect opportunities, they executed and that was the difference, Ref fuckery aside.

I’d include at least one other in the referee shenanigans. 

IMG_2373.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’d include at least one other in the referee shenanigans. 

IMG_2373.jpeg

I was trying to keep it simple. Also, I would say the other two calls were much worse and more obvious and occurred at the ball...calls that have to be made. Refs miss holding all the time. Also, I think this hold would have been irrelevant had Young been tackled on the blitz that he wriggled out of...I think.

4 hours ago, Da Fino said:

I doubt they used circulatory arrest for a simple valve replacement. Article said he had an aortic aneurysm. That’s the reason they did circ arrest. There was no room to put a cross clamp on the aorta to prevent blood flow back into the aorta while the surgeon was working on the aneurysm and aortic valve.

source: 20 years (and ongoing) of experience as a cardiovascular Perfusionist (I run the heart and lung machine in open heart surgery and I’ve participated in hundreds of aortic valves, around 100 circulatory arrest cases).

Sorry for the rant. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Edited by lilMAC25

3 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

I doubt they used circulatory arrest for a simple valve replacement. Article said he had an aortic aneurysm. That’s the reason they did circ arrest. There was no room to put a cross clamp on the aorta to prevent blood flow back into the aorta while the surgeon was working on the aneurysm and aortic valve.

source: 20 years (and ongoing) of experience as a cardiovascular Perfusionist (I run the heart and lung machine in open heart surgery and I’ve participated in hundreds of aortic valves, around 100 circulatory arrest cases).

Sorry for the rant. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Interesting... Thanks

7 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Thanks...  Here's a tweet about it

• Hook 'Em 3

I didn't like the Sark hire when we made it and have been down on him for most of the last 2 seasons. One win doesn't bring the program "back," but I have more hope now than I've had in a long time. That said, what separates good coaches from great one is the week-to-week preparation. If Sark truly has that focus and discipline, our days of wandering the desert may finally be over.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Sark's best game he's called at Texas.  Kept Bama off balance, adjusted after the half.  Stayed aggressive even when we brainfarted a few times. Managed the clock well.  Could have been 50 points if our receivers caught everything.

PK killing it with that robber safety picking the fuck out of Milroe right after getting beat on that deep ball fucking SWEET

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/6/2023 at 4:59 PM, Tex Long said:

They allowed 20 points vs an offense with two top 15 picks.  The D didn’t lose that game

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TXpride said:

I didn't like the Sark hire when we made it and have been down on him for most of the last 2 seasons. One win doesn't bring the program "back," but I have more hope now than I've had in a long time. That said, what separates good coaches from great one is the week-to-week preparation. If Sark truly has that focus and discipline, our days of wandering the desert may finally be over.

This

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

100% a believer in Sark

I’m not (not 100%). I still need to see the rest of the season and I still say we have to play in the BigXii CG for it to be a successful season.

do that, and I’m a believer.

This was a huge win though. Biggest since UGA. Maybe biggest since beating OU in 08.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

The 4th down fumblerusky call was fucking ballsy as fuck. 

From the first series it was evident that Sark came to win and was going to be aggressive all night. He'd been waiting a fucking year for this game.

Was a bad call though, they were going to stuff the middle. Run something outside or something.  Other than that I think it was a great call offensive game.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1