Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

22 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think he does all that more to get his face and message out there for the recruiting angle.  

Yeah, but if the product suffers, then the media tour isn't worth it.   Going on an interview spree when you have a game ahead with an undefeated team that already took down a P5 conference member wasn't the best plan.   Unless he got a VY or Bijan recruit out of the deal.

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Yeah, but if the product suffers, then the media tour isn't worth it.   Going on an interview spree when you have a game ahead with an undefeated team that already took down a P5 conference member wasn't the best plan.   Unless he got a VY or Bijan recruit out of the deal.

And yet Texas won by 21 and was a one play run bust from covering 28.

How about a Wingo recruit? How about a string of recruits starting to see a run of Texas’ being omnipresent for good reasons?

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

You have to strike while the iron is hot (i.e., after beating Alabama).

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

There’s something about this season that deserves mention. Just about every player - black and white - holds their Horns up for The Eyes Of Texas. The culture under Sark is largely to credit for this. 

Complete 180 turnaround from the arrogant sack of shit that Herman was. Seems like Ehlinger was the only glue keeping those teams from completely checking out.

• Hook 'Em 3

All I can say is Sark has made Texas football fun to watch like it hasn't been in almost a decade and a half. I love where the Horns are right now and fully expect the program to continue to improve.

Also best thing about Sark being worthy of the hype as an offensive guru is that we don't have to worry about an offensive coordinator being stolen away to HC some school and our offense suddenly regressing. We finally have stability on that side of the ball, for the first time since the Mack Brown glory years.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2023 at 2:34 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

All I can say is Sark has made Texas football fun to watch like it hasn't been in almost a decade and a half. I love where the Horns are right now and fully expect the program to continue to improve.

Also best thing about Sark being worthy of the hype as an offensive guru is that we don't have to worry about an offensive coordinator being stolen away to HC some school and our offense suddenly regressing. We finally have stability on that side of the ball, for the first time since the Mack Brown glory years.

The Greg Davis glory years. 

34 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Before the season we all said that the one key missing ingredient from Sark's repertoire was game-day coaching, and second half adjustments. He appears to have answered that question this year, at least through the first five games. So what are his weaknesses now?

Poor play-calling at times - getting away from the things that are working. And clock management at times. But these things haven't caused us to lose and my opinion is he continues to improve on it because he's got the athletes to make the mistakes within the margin for error. 

It's fun to watch, that's for damn sure.

33 minutes ago, TOR said:

Sark wanted to practice the 2 minute offense under game conditions at the end of the half just because.  That is the only sane reason that explains keeping those TOs in your back pocket.  

That's pretty much every game. He has an aversion to using his timeouts at the end of halves.

Before the season we all said that the one key missing ingredient from Sark's repertoire was game-day coaching, and second half adjustments. He appears to have answered that question this year, at least through the first five games. So what are his weaknesses now?

It’s more depth on the lines than it is adjustments to me. Every other team is done in the 4th.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jw4381 said:

Poor play-calling at times - getting away from the things that are working. And clock management at times. But these things haven't caused us to lose and my opinion is he continues to improve on it because he's got the athletes to make the mistakes within the margin for error. 

It's fun to watch, that's for damn sure.

The thing people forget about playcalling at this level is that you have to call plays to keep people in the program. You can't NOT throw X the ball, or anyone for that matter. So sometimes Sark is calling plays to do just that. 5 and high 4 star kids will go somewhere else if they feel like they aren't going to shine here. The last couple games we could've run the ball exclusively, but we sure got Cook in and went to him. If you didn't notice towards the end of the game we got Worthy the ball. We got Mitchell 10 balls and only 7 to Worthy. I am sure he had a lot to say about that. At the end of the game we drew up some balls for Whitt, because he only had 2 catches.

If you've ever been part of a program with bit time players they are always on the sideline complaining about not getting the ball. From HS to the pros. Sark has a lot of hungry babies he has to feed and these are the games to do it. Not next week. Which I think is part of the reason we look so much more fluid during big games.

See how Steve Sarkisian and the Texas Longhorn football team put up 34 points in their upset victory over Nick Saban's Alabama Crimson Tide defense (with Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele). We'll see what makes Saban's defense so unpredictable and difficult to attack, and how Sarkisian was able to use compressed formations to make it more predictable, opening up the downfield passing game and delivering the win. 

00:00 - Intro

01:28 - Saban's Defensive Complexity

09:53 - Using Formations to Make Saban Simple

13:24 - Xavier Worthy's TD (2nd Quarter)

16:50 - Ja'Tavion Sanders Long Completion (3rd Quarter)

21:26 - Adonai Mitchell's 2nd TD (4th Quarter)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:56 PM, TOR said:

Sark wanted to practice the 2 minute offense under game conditions at the end of the half just because.  That is the only sane reason that explains keeping those TOs in your back pocket.  

Late on this conversation but it seems pretty obvious he doesn't like to use timeouts at the end of the half after getting a first down when the clock stops. It's happened a few times now since he's been here. He seems to want to get another play in while the chains are being set. I noticed on Saturday that after the completion to Mitchell in the middle of the field Sarkisian went straight to a number call and Quinn looked at his wristband for a play.

All that being said, I've seen much worse from other coaches around the country when it comes to clock/end of half management. I really haven't seen anything super egregious since he's been here. And in several games he's done a good job managing the clock late to ice games. You really don't see many turtle moments late where we need a first down or two and we run 3 plays for 2 total yards. Or Charlie Strong moments of going tempo with a lead and 4 minutes left against UCLA.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL. While some of y'all have been clowning Sark ever since UT hired him by calling him "7-win Steve", I just found out the national CFB talking heads on the Cover 3 Podcast call him "Big Game Sark".

Don't like , reminds too much of Big Game Bob which was NOT a positive title but well earned title.   

If Sark wins some combo of big12, ny6, playoff, mnc he deserves and upgraded moniker and a huge salary bump though 

Edited by BigHornedLurker

2 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Don't like , reminds too much of Big Game Bob which was NOT a positive title but well earned title.   

If Sark wins some combo of big12, ny6, playoff, mnc he deserves and upgraded moniker and a huge salary bump though 

We shall call him ....Steve.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL. While some of y'all have been clowning Sark ever since UT hired him by calling him "7-win Steve", I just found out the national CFB talking heads on the Cover 3 Podcast call him "Big Game Sark".

Let’s not get ahead of ourself.  He’s still a couple wins away from deserving his “7-win Steve” moniker.

Seriously though, it’s a great story thus far. From the ups and downs of his career and off the field issues, he’s weathered the pressure to win immediately and built the program the right way.  I hope a recipe for long term success.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/24/2023 at 10:27 AM, USNALonghorn said:

Complete 180 turnaround from the arrogant sack of shit that Herman was. Seems like Ehlinger was the only glue keeping those teams from completely checking out.

Sam deserved to have a coach like Sark.  He ain’t perfect (nobody is), but he’s a great combo of humility and confidence.  Guys will want to play for him.  Huge tipping point opportunity on Saturday.  Open the floodgates Sark.  Beat OU. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/2/2023 at 4:52 PM, LTtxfan said:

Golden is worthless... Nice response by SARK

Golden has an article today titled "Why I asked Sark if Texas is the best team in the country"

"Look at me!"

Statesman sportswriters are the fucking worst. 

• Rage+1 1