Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

He kicked the fg against Oklahoma and y’all shit on him, damned if he does damned if he doesn’t lol. I need to change my username to “CoachingIsHard” haha 

I think the calls from today are being blown way out of proportion but if you can’t see the fundamental situational difference between the decision at the end of the OU game and the fake FG vs Houston or the FGs that were passed on today, then I don’t know what to tell you.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think the calls from today are being blown way out of proportion but if you can’t see the fundamental situational difference between the decision at the end of the OU game and the fake FG vs Houston or the FGs that were passed on today, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Nobody, and I mean nobody in their right fucking mind thought Dillon Gabriel would March down the field and score that fast. He will never, ever play that good again. His average is closer to what Kansas held him to than what he did against Texas. I agree that we fucking suck for not scoring from the 1. It’s an abomination. I thought the fg won us the game. Turns out on their best day and our worst…they could beat us. That’s a quote from a colts player who lost to the jets in Super Bowl III. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If Sark is building a champion here, we don't need an insurance FG against BYU. We obviously need work on our goal-line offense. So we beat BYU by four touchdowns and got more live practice toward figuring out how to punch it in. Some people seem honestly to believe that BYU, who scored zero TDs against us, was enough of a threat to beat us that we should be kicking FGs against them for insurance. We've spent way too long weathering storms, outlasting surges, and setting our sights on eeking out wins against second-rate opponents. I'm not satisfied with our goal-line offense, but I'm glad we're still trying to find/establish one.

• Hook 'Em 8

4 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

He kicked the fg against Oklahoma and y’all shit on him, damned if he does damned if he doesn’t lol. I need to change my username to “CoachingIsHard” haha 

10 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If Sark is building a champion here, we don't need an insurance FG against BYU. We obviously need work on our goal-line offense. So we beat BYU by four touchdowns and got more live practice toward figuring out how to punch it in. Some people seem honestly to believe that BYU, who scored zero TDs against us, was enough of a threat to beat us that we should be kicking FGs against them for insurance. We've spent way too long weathering storms, outlasting surges, and setting our sights on eeking out wins against second-rate opponents. I'm not satisfied with our goal-line offense, but I'm glad we're still trying to find/establish one.

The OU and BYU games aren’t even comparable. In one, you have your starting QB and a better opponent. In the other, it’s an inferior opponent and you have a QB in his first-ever collegiate start. First, you have to win the game to keep all of your goals on the table. I maybe understand going for it the first time. But you need that damn FG to make it a 3-score game. I also think he’s become WAY to reliant on Savion Red/Wildcat. Running it four times in a row is dumb AF. Kick the FG the second time. Or here’s a thought, put #24 back out there.

At any rate, I like Sark. I want him to do well. He’s recruiting like a motherfucker. If he could clean up his in-game coaching, I think we’ve got something we can win some hardware with.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

This was my hopeful takeaway from BYU as well. 

They had NOTHING going on , our D was playing lights out and he took the opportunity to work on red zone offense 

55 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Texas is 7-1, covered the spread, and has everything to play for this year. The team's recruiting is lights out. The coaches have prioritized recruiting in the trenches. 

Are there things to work on? Of course. But consider where we were a few years ago. 

Agreed.  But, being stoned twice latish in the game, a fg to make it a 3 score lead makes it a 3 possession lead.  That last non attempt was meaningful at the time.  
He is beginning to irritate me with this.

Yall can say what you want but I felt like Sark called a great game. Not his best but we had an opportunity to blow this open!!! 
if not for player fuck ups, we blow this open!!! 

Yes I wish he would do things differently but I felt like he won the headsets today. 

YALL call for him to run the ball with 10 in the box!!??! Really!?!  Come on man y’all are too critical 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'm pretty convinced the path to playing for a NC with Sark is the QB and offense evolving to a Joe Burrow like state where they negate the game day boneheaded stupidity of Sark the way Burrow did for O. 

I agree, but I have significant doubts Steve can ever win a conference, let alone a NC.  Prove me wrong Sark, and then I'll gladly bump this post for the negs.  

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'm pretty convinced the path to playing for a NC with Sark is the QB and offense evolving to a Joe Burrow like state where they negate the game day boneheaded stupidity of Sark the way Burrow did for O. 

Sark called a good game. Wanna be upset get mad at the ones turning it over on basic plays.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He still hasn't had a truly experienced QB so this isn't a bad thing

14 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I agree, but I have significant doubts Steve can ever win a conference, let alone a NC.  Prove me wrong Sark, and then I'll gladly bump this post for the negs.  

I think Sark is a mediocre game day head coach. But at the same time, he recruits well and it appears our staff does a pretty good job evaluating talent. If slapdicks like Miles, Coach O, Jimbo, and Chizik can win it all with the right QB, Sark/Texas absolutely can. It would be nice to have  both talent and a good X's and O's guy on the sideline, but if you have to pick one, you obviously go with the guy that acquires top shelf talent. 

Sark getting run out of town within 5 years, Sark winning a national championship, or Sark winning a national championship and then getting run out of town within the next 5 years ....all of those scenarios seem plausible to me. But holy shit, the guy is a clownshow on gameday. He kind of reminds me of Lesticles in that regard. He does several things a game that make me want to throw shit at the TV.

At least he doesn't eat grass, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Holy shit. Sark called a good first half. His 4th down calls in the red zone are dumb. His second half calls were odd and MM.didn't help

Honestly, I don't understand how you guys blame things on the coach. Sark had a solid gameplan. He knew KSU would come out and load the box. He appropriately had deep plays dialed up. KSU then backed off but Murph still forced it downfield. We ran the football but we kept getting ourselves behind the chains with penalties. Then Murph, who lost his confidence after a few boneheaded decisions, started holding the ball to be sure before throwing it, and then throwing the ball behind the receivers. At that point, seeing our QB was rattled, KSU came up and challenged the running game again.

I saw a coach trying to flip momentum by being aggressive but we just couldn't execute. If Quinn is in there we blow KSU out.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Honestly, I don't understand how you guys blame things on the coach. Sark had a solid gameplan. He knew KSU would come out and load the box. He appropriately had deep plays dialed up. KSU then backed off but Murph still forced it downfield. We ran the football but we kept getting ourselves behind the chains with penalties. Then Murph, who lost his confidence after a few boneheaded decisions, started holding the ball to be sure before throwing it, and then throwing the ball behind the receivers. At that point, seeing our QB was rattled, KSU came up and challenged the running game again.

I saw a coach trying to flip momentum by being aggressive but we just couldn't execute. If Quinn is in there we blow KSU out.

And the reason he didn't take the points against a very disciplines tough team that just shut out the team you struggle with?

Just now, nineliveslost said:

And the reason he didn't take the points against a very disciplines tough team that just shut out the team you struggle with?

The same reason kleiman let his OC run Howard into the strength of our defense then not take the points and keep getting chances against our wore out defenses. They are human. Which “game day” coach can you point to that doesn’t do some head scratching shit? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

The same reason kleiman let his OC run Howard into the strength of our defense then not take the points and keep getting chances against our wore out defenses. They are human. Which “game day” coach can you point to that doesn’t do some head scratching shit? 

Nick Saban didn't run Milroe vs us. All coaches have a couple head scratchers, but they are only head scratchers  when they don't work. We were all cheering when we called the 4th and 1 Baxter run.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, WinningIsHard said:

Come on man. I would be cool if it was once. But 3times?4times . twice in the same game? I like the guy but for fucks sake it doesn't have to be all black or white. His a great play caller that has been making too many dumb decisssions lately.

And fuck his bullshit "all gas and no brakes " even with Ewers. Be ruthless like Steve Spurrier . punish teams and run it up

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Come on man. I would be cool if it was once. But 3times?4times . twice in the same game? I like the guy but for fucks sake it doesn't have to be all black or white. His a great play caller that has been making too many dumb decisssions lately.

And fuck his bullshit "all gas and no brakes " even with Ewers. Be ruthless like Steve Spurrier . punish teams and run it up

Had Kansas state came out and thrown for 4 quarters we get blown out bro. I mean like shit stomped. There aren’t any perfect game day coaches. Urban, saban, Mack, stoops, Dabo, Kirby, Pete carrol…they just out talent people. I promise you can go to any fan base in America and ask them to name a play during a national championship winning season that was a wtf are you doing moment and they will give you a dozen. 

31 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Fully agree here. There's a lot of Sark critics around here melting down and pointing fingers in the wrong direction because they can't separate play calling from execution.

Only thing you can fault Sark on in this game is not taking the fieldgoal to continue building momentum instead of giving it back to KSU.

...and maybe he could be a better Maalik whisperer to calm him the fuck down in the 2nd half.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Fully agree here. There's a lot of Sark critics around here melting down and pointing fingers in the wrong direction because they can't separate play calling from execution.

Only thing you can fault Sark on in this game is not taking the fieldgoal to continue building momentum instead of giving it back to KSU.

...and maybe he could be a better Maalik whisperer to calm him the fuck down in the 2nd half.

Mother fucker, the other guy not taking the points is why we just won. I just watched Venables turtle and kick a fg in this bedlam game. He should have went for the TD. He would have been more aggressive against us I guarantee it. It’s a game by game basis, it’s a tough job. We are 8-1. 

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Mother fucker, the other guy not taking the points is why we just won. I just watched Venables turtle and kick a fg in this bedlam game. He should have went for the TD. He would have been more aggressive against us I guarantee it. It’s a game by game basis, it’s a tough job. We are 8-1. 

Sorry. You seem kinda arguementative but you're making my point for me. Am I missing you here?

-When a fieldgoal ties the game as the clock expires, you kick the fieldgoal.

-When a fieldgoal puts you up by 20 and demoralized your opponent at halftime, you kick the fieldgoal. 

-when your D ain't stopping shit and the fieldgoal doesn't give you a 7-point lead, think twice about the fieldgoal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:26 PM, WinningIsHard said:

That problem wasn't the call for a FG, it was the play calling that got him into a third and nine, or whatever. He took his foot off the gas for just a moment. On third and nine, he ran the football with a QB who had just completed 17 in a row. He had to kick the FG.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

15 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Sorry. You seem kinda arguementative but you're making my point for me. Am I missing you here?

-When a fieldgoal ties the game as the clock expires, you kick the fieldgoal.

-When a fieldgoal puts you up by 20 and demoralized your opponent at halftime, you kick the fieldgoal. 

-when your D ain't stopping shit and the fieldgoal doesn't give you a 7-point lead, think twice about the fieldgoal.

Kleiman is a pretty good coach, he made a bad call and it cost them the game. Sark didn’t take the fg in an attempt to slam the door, we should be able to get a few yards with our OL. I’m saying when the call works out nobody complains, when it doesn’t everybody has this hind sight is 20-20 take. Sark is aggressive and goes for it on 4th….he should take the points because he’s a dipshit. He kicks the fg and the other team scores…he’s a dipshit who should have went for it on 4th. There’s no winning in that endless mind fuck loop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Repeatedly makes the same game day mistakes game after game. Last week refused to take the 3 to make it a 3 score game, twice, and this week refused to take the 3 to make it a 3 TD game. All with a red zone offense, irregardless of the QB, that ranks among the last in the nation. That's sheer stupidity and not knowing your team. 

But honestly the most egregious was not getting split snaps for both QBs against BYU knowing full well Ewers would miss this game and one or both of them would have to play it. ESPECIALLY when Maalik showed to be careless and turnover prone early in that game. By accounts inside the program it's a question which backup QB is more ahead of the other and as a HC in this situation it's your job with the playoffs and conference title still on the line to exhaust all options at that position. He failed to do that and that's probably the 1 largest factor that had us in a situation to lose that game if Klieman doesn't make one of the most boneheaded decisions by any coach in the CFB season. Sark failed to prepare and found his team in OT with a QB that could not be trusted to make decisions with the ball. 

I'm ecstatic with the win and believe we may be charmed to survive until the big 12 title game but it's kind of happening in spite of Sark's decisions in some ways and there's mounting questions on why he's making these mistakes. The best HC in any sport know their team, know their opponent, and coach to their team's strengths and opponent's weaknesses and adjust to what's happening in real time. Sark seems oblivious to that much of the time. 

I believe he can still win a title here if he continues to recruit and hit the portal at an elite level and maintains top quality assistant coaches but he's showing he can derail a season with his mistakes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Kleiman is a pretty good coach, he made a bad call and it cost them the game. Sark didn’t take the fg in an attempt to slam the door, we should be able to get a few yards with our OL. I’m saying when the call works out nobody complains, when it doesn’t everybody has this hind sight is 20-20 take. Sark is aggressive and goes for it on 4th….he should take the points because he’s a dipshit. He kicks the fg and the other team scores…he’s a dipshit who should have went for it on 4th. There’s no winning in that endless mind fuck loop. 

That's not true at all. He's failing to coach to the team he has. His team is nearly last in CFB in red zone percentage yet he still keeps trying to force it like they're the best in the country in red zone. He's even forcing it with a backup QB. That's not coaching to your strengths and that's being oblivious to your weaknesses. 

That's poor coaching. Just like Klieman today. He knew Texas has about the worst red zone offense in the country and a backup QB who has 4 turnovers in 2 games and has thrown an additional 4 or 5 balls that were in defenders hands but dropped and he's in a red zone competition with them. His team is one of the best in the conference in red zone conversion rate. He completely failed to properly assess his team, the opponent, and the situation there. That's why it's a failure as a coach and cost his team the win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I would agree with you, if we had converted any of the 4th and fieldgoals in the last 3 weeks. But our 'Horns have a terrible track record in that time frame. I'm not saying a coach should never roll the dice from time to time, but when you know you're playing with  weighted dice, it's a terrible fucking call.

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That's not true at all. He's failing to coach to the team he has. His team is nearly last in CFB in red zone percentage yet he still keeps trying to force it like they're the best in the country in red zone. He's even forcing it with a backup QB. That's not coaching to your strengths and that's being oblivious to your weaknesses. 

That's poor coaching. Just like Klieman today. He knew Texas has about the worst red zone offense in the country and a backup QB who has 4 turnovers in 2 games and has thrown an additional 4 or 5 balls that were in defenders hands but dropped and he's in a red zone competition with them. His team is one of the best in the conference in red zone conversion rate. He completely failed to properly assess his team, the opponent, and the situation there. That's why it's a failure as a coach and cost his team the win. 

I’m agreeing with you man, what I’m saying is you are expecting some shit that only comes to light when it costs you the game. Sark may get better but he has some warts and I’m ok with them. I think the scenario you’re portraying where a coach makes the right call way more often than he doesn’t is non-existent. The teams that make the CFP year in and year out just out talent everybody. This board hates BoB but saban hired him lol. Look at the situation Dabo let himself get into, Ryan day is in the same situation. These are guys who win, and win a fuck load. Their starting qb’s are normally why they win, this year the rest of the team is dragging the qb down the road. It’s much easier to fuck up the call than it is to hit it right. 

10 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

I would agree with you, if we had converted any of the 4th and fieldgoals in the last 3 weeks. But our 'Horns have a terrible track record in that time frame. I'm not saying a coach should never roll the dice from time to time, but when you know you're playing with  weighted dice, it's a terrible fucking call.

We are 61% on 4th down, pretty fucking good. If you take away the non competitive games like rice, byu, and Kansas we are 10-14 on 4th downs. I’m not real good at maths but that’s 71% on 4th down in games where it was close. You want him to go less when we are at a 71% clip or go more when you think it’s a good call to score 7? That’s impossible to please man. Most college football coaches make bad calls there, the ones with Georgia talent are rewarded for their bad calls and their good calls.