Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I played against Brees in high school and he absolutely strafed us. The most accurate QB I have ever seen in person. He was so small, when I got to him I literally flipped him on a sideline run, but the problem was you just never could get there because he had an enormous line and he dropped 12 yards back. I knew he was going to be awesome for some school but wasnt sure if his size would be an issue for the major teams. 

Going back to Mahomes, I did call that he was going to be a star going into the draft over Deshaun Watson and whoever else, but I could not have made that call coming out of high school. I have always had a bit of a sixth sense on QB scouting. I can call busts from a mile away and generally hit on the good QBs with fairly good frequency, but its not scientific, it is all feel.

what school did you attend in HS?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@Armybrat remembers watching Red Grange in high school and thinking he wouldn’t amount to shit. 

Actually, I never saw any football game until the Texas-Maryland game in 1959. 
It was raining, and the sparse crowd of maybe 30,000 saw the Horns win 30-0.

• Hook 'Em 7

Late night recruiting notes on several top priority skill position targets

Jordan Scruggs

Spoiler

Late night recruiting notes on several top priority skill position targets

Jordan Scruggs

— If you’ve been staying updated with Horns247 and tuning into twitter lately, you’ve likely read the tea leaves on the recruitment of Lake Belton five-star Micah Hudson. 

With Texas Tech having all of the momentum and the Horns falling behind with Hudson, Texas won’t give up on the five-star, but more attention will undoubtedly be turned to other receiving targets to join Chris Jackson’s first signing class alongside Texas commit Freddie Dubose.

Ryan Wingo is the obvious answer for the name now atop the board, and every source we’ve spoken to has indicated Texas has as good a shot as anyone for the No. 7 overall player in the nation according to 247Sports. Wingo’s recruitment has been a nationwide war between blue-bloods since it began, but with Wingo only having step foot on the Forty Acres twice, I think the Longhorns could increase their chances much more if they were to get the five-star back in Austin at the end of July when the dead period opens for a handful of days.

Terry Bussey has been one of my favorites in the state ever since Hudson Standish painted the picture of an almost mythical figure that Bussey is amongst TXHSFB circles. As of late Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M have had the attention of the five-star with talent to play on either side of the ball, but after taking trips to Norman and Baton Rouge this past week the Longhorns will have a chance to step up to the plate and potentially establish a lead for Bussey while he's on campus for an official visit this weekend.

We’ve been high on the Longhorns chances of landing Lovejoy four-star Parker Livingstone for some time, and our confidence rose even higher when the four-star told 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach that he had canceled his long planned official visits to Arkansas and LSU. With Texas getting the last visit ahead of Livingstone’s commitment date set for July 1, we expect Steve Sarkisian to continue the trend of crushing official visits and ultimately put the nail in the coffin for the talented receivers recruitment this weekend. 

Gekyle Baker and Joseph Stone are both names that Texas was high on at one point throughout the spring, and with four receivers expected to depart from the Texas roster in the spring of 2024, I could see Chris Jackson and Steve Sarkisian circling back on both later on in the summer. Baker is still uncommitted but looks to be narrowing it down after taking official trips to Oklahoma State, TCU, and Kansas State earlier this month while Stone has been pledged to LSU since July of last year, but has still taken officials to Louisville and UCF this summer along with a trip to Baton Rouge this past week.

— For some time Horns247 has viewed Oregon and Georgia as the main competition to Tashard Choice and Texas for composite four-star running back Christian Clark, and after speaking with a source this evening the race has slimmed down as Clark has canceled his official trip to Athens that was scheduled for this weekend. We’re always going to be confident in Tashard Choice landing his priority targets, and with the defending national champs now out of the way we expect Choice to reel in yet another talented out of state back.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

I wonder if the zulu at the end of his name indicates a connection with that magnificent people. 

spacer.png

I've had dreams where I run with the Zulu impis. Had Europeans not landed or had the Zulus got their start back in the days of Rome, there is no telling how a Zulu empire would have evolved. Profiency at combat seems to, ironically, be a key civilization starter.

I highly recommend The Washing of the Spears which South Africans I have known also recommend.

Sorry. I almost feel like changing my user name to ZuluVicta, but I'm not worthy.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I wonder if the zulu at the end of his name indicates a connection with that magnificent people. 

spacer.png

I've had dreams where I run with the Zulu impis. Had Europeans not landed or had the Zulus got their start back in the days of Rome, there is no telling how a Zulu empire would have evolved. Profiency at combat seems to, ironically, be a key civilization starter.

I highly recommend The Washing of the Spears which South Africans I have known also recommend.

Sorry. I almost feel like changing my user name to ZuluVicta, but I'm not worthy.

It's a Nigerian name, so alas it's probably a coincidence.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's a Nigerian name, so alas it's probably a coincidence.

Fuck the Nigerians. I hate those guys.

I thought this was an obvious joke in contrast to my post about the Zulus. Four negs tell me I'm way off.

Sincere apologies for offending anyone. 

Particularly:

@USMCHorn @D3zii @celebrityhottub @Sgt Hulk and @TheContractor

I have no such opinion about Nigeria or Nigerians. The Nigerians who have come to play at Texas have all been exemplary Longhorns.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Fuck You 4

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

civ_ii_zulu.png.33def0a9b1704d4387208364025f554a.png

Oh, I know EXACTLY how a Zulu empire would have evolved. They'd have won bloodthirsty wars all over the continent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

The middle guy looks like he could play some ball.

15 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I just on Texas Homer's latest video that dropped today that WR Parker Livingstone ran 22.4 MPH via catapult. What does that translate to in the 40-yard dash time or 100-meter time?

1 minute ago, Yesh said:

22.4 mph is 32.85 feet per second.  40 yards is 120 feet.

120 / 32.85 = 3.65 seconds holy shit he is the fastest human alive

Should be pretty fast if he got assisted by a catapult!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls