Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, TheContractor said:

LSU football was asleep in the 80s and 90s. That state produces to much talent. That talent is brainwashed more than any other single state in america to stay home and play for LSU. LSU has no problem doing anything to compete with NIL or under the table. That program is not going anywhere. They have 3 straight different coaches that have won a title. They might have some up and downs but will not be down more than 1-2 years in the foreseeable future. As someone who spend their childhood in Baton Rouge and has a lot of friends still there, you are wishful that Lsu will become irrelevant. They will take the gambling $, make up a new state tax, rob a cancer hospital but they will not let anyone out bid for a football player in state. 

Two of those titles came PNS at Alabama, the other won to the greatest offense in the history of college football and we nearly beat them with Herman. Now the power of the SEC is leaning to Georgia. LSU is unique in that two walking morons won titles, but I don't see Brian Kelly winning one with Alabama and Georgia being the elite teams in the conference.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Two of those titles came PNS at Alabama, the other won to the greatest offense in the history of college football and we nearly beat them with Herman. Now the power of the SEC is leaning to Georgia. LSU is unique in that two walking morons won titles, but I don't see Brian Kelly winning one with Alabama and Georgia being the elite teams in the conference.

LSU/Mumbles struck gold with Burrow, kinda like how Mack struck gold with VY, kinda like how Chizik struck gold with Cam Newton. Sometimes shit happens.

Kelly's teams always lose a WTF game to a lesser opponent. He may win one in the distant future, but a lot of stars will have to align (Georgia and Bama will have to shit the bed) including being blessed with a transcendental QB. They'll continue to get Louisiana pride players to stay in state, but no one but an idiot thinks they'll be able to seal off most of the state like they used to. Louisiana is poor as shit. Now that it's legal open bidding for recruits, they'll lose more than usual to the market. When you are that poor, you're thinking of gobs of money to put your family in a better place. 

58 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Oh I understand slick.  As one of the founders of what is now the Texas One Fund, I can explain the "how" and exactly what we did to show we want this team to win and subsequently had every single fucking school in the country follow our model.

Now you go.

its great what Texas has done and what Texas is doing. The comment isnt about Texas or any other school not named Lsu. The point was Lsu would decline like Nebraska and that imo simply wont happen for many of the reasons listed. 

Keep up the good work, slick

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Also - nobody is going to remember who the fuck Livvy Dunne is in 5 years.

Wrong. Livvy is on her way to becoming the next Ghiselle. How many college students have 7 figure modeling contracts and have already been in the sports illustrated swimsuit edition?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Of course getting guys into the NFL matters. Of course conferences matter. Of course brand and tradition matter. Of course coaching brand and history matters. That’s why Bama isn’t in the toilet. That’s also why Oregon isn’t in danger of signing a top 3 class. But things are shifting, bit by little bit, against Bama, LSU and Clemson, among others. I think Bama fractures this season the way FSU suddenly did in early 2000’s but for more complicated reasons with Bama. 

I don't know man, they just signed another beast recruiting class. Yes, they have some real issues on the offensive side of the ball. They may be younger than in previous years, but I don't anticipate an FSU style melt. For one, Saban has not been spitefully poisoning the well and quiet quitting two years ago like Jimbo. He is too much of a perfectionist to do shit like that. Georgia has definitely taken the lead, but I anticipate Bama to be a top 10 team until they cart Saban's desicated corpse off the sideline. But when that day comes, the law of averages is going to be a mother fucker for them. 

Edited by Vertigo

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't know man, they just signed another beast recruiting class. Yes, they have some real issues on the offensive side of the ball. They may be younger than in previous years, but I don't anticipate an FSU style melt. For one, Saban has not been spitefully poisoning the well and quiet quitting two years ago like Jimbo. He is too much of a perfectionist to do shit like that. Georgia has definitely taken the lead, but I anticipate Bama to be a top 10 team until they cart Saban's desicated corpse off the sideline. But when that day comes, the law of averages is going to be a mother fucker for them. 

I’ve posted my reasons for my thinking on multiple threads about Bama including this one. It’s certainly not a mainstream view, so people are welcome to laugh at it. Regarding this past class, it’s the closest in the Saban era to a Mack Brown late era class as Saban could sign. There’s halo effect with it and everything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Counterpoint. Nick Saban is 71 years old, has just watched Kirby Smart kick his ass two years in a row, and sees the inevitable NIL train barreling down the tracks.

Maybe he decides to hang 'em up, with no good succession plan behind him (he should give it to Shiv, not Kendall). And perhaps as soon as he retires, the portal opens up and all those 4 and 5 star recruits on the roster decide to scatter.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Saban's on the same trajectory as Mack. Still signing high level classes where the 5-star busts are becoming more commonplace, not to mention the turnstile that is his staff and making some questionable coordinator hires. If Ty Simpson doesn't work out at QB, he's going to be hurting.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably too soon but Terry Price has passed away. Does this change outlooks of Aggie's current roster? What about their 2024 recruiting?

There is very little overlap at edge between aggy and Texas this cycle. Not sure about the portal, because most of the aggy DL talent is interior.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably too soon but Terry Price has passed away. Does this change outlooks of Aggie's current roster? What about their 2024 recruiting?

Fuck. I thought that was some sort of euphemism. Coach Price really is dead. He's burning ribs with the angels now.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He’s the only guy that has some folks scratching their heads in this cycle. Texas is swinging for the fences across the board and then they’re on an OKG like Livingstone. He’s hopefully not jagger level. 

My view of this weekend is that we’ll see something similar to last weekend.  A few commits that will go public on Sunday-Tuesday. 

Both weekends have been set up in order to create an avalanche of momentum into the dead period. If the gamble pays off, I assume Texas will have 16-20 recruits by the end of July, and Texas will be trending towards a top 5 finish if Seven Loss Steve can stay home and Steve Sarkwinsagain shows up with 10+ wins. 

You took one poster’s fantasy of a future regarding LSU and decided to educate the board with platitudes about LSU’s desires and behaviors to win. You haven’t been around here long, at least in this incarnation, so maybe it would help to read and lurk for a bit. 

I say that because we all fucking know everything you wrote and you’re becoming a bandwidth drain while you also fail to pause and consider what other people are actually saying about the current state of affairs. 

I’ll be a little more specific and if it doesn’t help you, it’s at least illustrative to others who aren’t imbeciles. $250-$750k in the bag game was annually competitive. LSU was rarely on the high side of that. Bama, Georgia, Clemson, OSU, and occasional interlopers like Auburn could usually play to the higher side. Then the 2022 cycle happened. ATM went 4-5x high side of that. Hence the aftermath from all parties and angles, much to this board’s entertainment. Meanwhile, NIL unfolded and people with plans started going to work. The landscape today for a roster when playing poker at the big boy table is trending towards 8 figures. The ATM shit from the 2022 cycle is now what gets programs into the arena for a normal top 10 recruiting and portal cycle. 

Now if you think LSU is able to make that work, you do you. To everyone else, that isn’t what’s happening. What I said is happening is happening. They’re little better off than when the bag game was being played. So are others that I already mentioned. I asked a friend inside the inner circle at Bama if they could match $4-5M per cycle in recruiting against the market. They gave a long pause and then simply said “there’s no fucking way.” And then, time passes, and all Nick Saban does is beg and plead with authorities and the media about NIL. Tough luck, little man. 

Of course getting guys into the NFL matters. Of course conferences matter. Of course brand and tradition matter. Of course coaching brand and history matters. That’s why Bama isn’t in the toilet. That’s also why Oregon isn’t in danger of signing a top 3 class. But things are shifting, bit by little bit, against Bama, LSU and Clemson, among others. I think Bama fractures this season the way FSU suddenly did in early 2000’s but for more complicated reasons with Bama. 

Like I said, you can agree to disagree and make your points but you do it like a whiny bitch but that’s just seems to be who you are. Lsu paid $180k for Vadal Alexander a non top 150 but really good recruit. Yes before NIL but they will be one of the bigger players, especially on the state. Disagree , you can laugh like you said in a different post of yours with my pov but i too know insiders at Lsu and how the passion for lsu is in that state. 
this will be my last reply to you on this bc you seem to not understand what im saying and vice versa. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Like I said, you can agree to disagree and make your points but you do it like a whiny bitch but that’s just seems to be who you are. Lsu paid $180k for Vadal Alexander a non top 150 but really good recruit. Yes before NIL but they will be one of the bigger players, especially on the state. Disagree , you can laugh like you said in a different post of yours with my pov but i too know insiders at Lsu and how the passion for lsu is in that state. 
this will be my last reply to you on this bc you seem to not understand what im saying and vice versa. 

Passion doesn't pay for NIL. God knows how passionate aggies are. Just ask the sheep in College Station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ummm ya probably too soon to start looking for positive recruiting developments in this dummy

what the hell man. he literally died like 12ish hours ago and BO&W is trying to capitalize on his death?

what a sad, sad, sad human being.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls