Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

49 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Five actually. Simmons, Black, McKinley, Baker and Wingo. 

Just about everyone seems to consider us comfortably leading for Simmons and Black at the moment. Same can arguably be said for McKinley following his visit and the more we hear that travel distance + academics are going to be crucial to his decision the more you have to love our chances. Obviously there is a lot of hype about us and Wingo as well; personally I think all of that is irrelevant until he takes his OV to Tennessee (our real competition) later this month but even still we have a good shot. Finally we pretty much know Baker is a coin flip between ourselves and Ohio St. 

Crazy thing is unlike past years where we would do these 'dream scenario' type lists none of these really require a bunch of things to fall our way. We could land all five and it wouldn't even be an upset (not that I expect that to actually happen). 

Could be six if Gibson gets bumped up.

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Five actually. Simmons, Black, McKinley, Baker and Wingo. 

Just about everyone seems to consider us comfortably leading for Simmons and Black at the moment. Same can arguably be said for McKinley following his visit and the more we hear that travel distance + academics are going to be crucial to his decision the more you have to love our chances. Obviously there is a lot of hype about us and Wingo as well; personally I think all of that is irrelevant until he takes his OV to Tennessee (our real competition) later this month but even still we have a good shot. Finally we pretty much know Baker is a coin flip between ourselves and Ohio St. 

Crazy thing is unlike past years where we would do these 'dream scenario' type lists none of these really require a bunch of things to fall our way. We could land all five and it wouldn't even be an upset (not that I expect that to actually happen). 

And an outside shot at Bussey

• Hook 'Em 2

Austin, Texas.  Big city, huge fan base.  No pro team.   World class university with a blueblood football program.  NCAA neutered as to NIL in Texas.  Texas Exes and fans all over Texas, America and the World.  I am glad I have lived long enough to see this.  

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Brian Kelly has to be puckering right now.

He’s more likely just parking there until Jimbo is gone. He’s thinking retirement and and he knows just where he can find the best deal and put in the least effort.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, anyone moving money around ahead of a guy getting to campus is playing the bag game and is dealing with someone really short sighted in the recruit’s camp. There’s so much more possible in real NIL. 

Texas doesn’t do the bag thing, still. It’s less and less relevant anyway. 

From the NIL, there’s a lot of variability once a guy gets to campus. Corporate also plays a big role. The coaches and admin will generally know what they can pitch about opportunities on a case by case basis and then the player usually has someone working on their behalf for the bigger picture. That works in UT’s favor. You have something well-heeled and strongly organized on one hand, and then way more corporate oops than most schools on the other. The agents figure all of that out really quickly. There’s also the fact that other schools have made shit up about NIL and tried to lie about UT too, but players at each school will tell recruits the truth. That’s happened already in this cycle more than once. 

One of the basketball stars’ agents encouraged his guy to not worry much about collective NIL comparisons between schools because he’d already figured out that the corporate opportunities in Austin dwarfed the other schools the guy was looking at on that end. I imagine that is happening in football more now too. 

Honest question, when can players sign with an agent?  Can they sign in HS or is it all a wink and a nod type deal.

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

Also, didn’t LSU just buy the ever loving shit of their recent baseball title on the NIL market? I think their best 4 players including the top 2 upcoming draft picks in the MLB draft were bought transfers. Fuck all the way off , lying Cajun trash.

Dylan Crews isn't a transfer.

• Hook 'Em 2

If we land McKinley, that should set off every single alarm bell in the LSU fan base. Guys like him have been a lay up since 2000. 
Could BK be the first LSU coach in a really long time that actually has to recruit? Please baby jeebus make it so

9 hours ago, TXRed said:

Aggy saying they’re getting Simmons to visit for the last weekend of July. 

IMG_8008.thumb.jpeg.779129fb2a98c3faa03bb315fe27d657.jpeg

That visit was previously on his schedule posted at the beginning of June. Seems like the hope is he commits to us before then and shows up in Austin instead, but if he is elsewhere then this will be a long ride to the finish.

E4EFEC2D-4471-446B-82D0-43690EEE4E17.thumb.jpeg.c46c0a5846c816e0864635abc6354570.jpeg

38 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

That visit was previously on his schedule posted at the beginning of June. Seems like the hope is he commits to us before then and shows up in Austin instead, but if he is elsewhere then this will be a long ride to the finish.

Or he shows up to A&M and that experience confirms his decision to attend The University of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

E4EFEC2D-4471-446B-82D0-43690EEE4E17.thumb.jpeg.c46c0a5846c816e0864635abc6354570.jpeg

This one will be a long ride no matter what he does this month imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, EyeSlapMidgets said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t one of the $9.95 say they were expecting 3 more commits before the end of America’s birthday (after our last string of commits)? Should we be expecting 3 commits today?

At least 3 by Sunday, but not by today. That’s my view, and I haven’t seen any $9.95ers say anything more bullish than that. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, EyeSlapMidgets said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t one of the $9.95 say they were expecting 3 more commits before the end of America’s birthday (after our last string of commits)? Should we be expecting 3 commits today?

Situation is fluid yada yada yada that’ll be $9.95.

tv show 90s GIF

17 minutes ago, EyeSlapMidgets said:

I must have read it wrong. Got something completely wrong on my first post… I’m gonna fit in just fine

Just don't keep admitting you're wrong and you'll be ok. 

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls