Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Someone can (and I'm sure, will) correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Finkley is running second string behind Sorrell on the strong side and Guilbeau is second string behind Barron. I expect both to be more than depth this year. Guilbeau got hurt last year but he looked like a player when he was healthy.

Both fair quibbles. Guilbeau has done enough stupid shit that I'm not counting on him for anything more than depth. Finkley played out of necessity, will play out of necessity again, and will likely be out of a job next year. Hence, depth. 

16 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He was actually 1st team before the injury. He is starter quality depth if healthy.

I'm still a little confused as to how he was in front of Barron at the beginning of last year. Am I forgetting a JB injury or something? I think Guilbeau's speed looked like a liability against Bama

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Both fair quibbles. Guilbeau has done enough stupid shit that I'm not counting on him for anything more than depth. Finkley played out of necessity, will play out of necessity again, and will likely be out of a job next year. Hence, depth. 

I'd say before he got to campus this is true, but since then I haven't heard anything negative about the guy. He's an absolute dawg on the field, and has been repeatedly brought up as someone who makes wow plays when he's been healthy. We'll see if this trend continues.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Seems to align with the staff's pecking order that was discussed yesterday (maybe switch Mack and Black)

With everyone in this list calculator'd, we would have a projected score of 293.12.

That would slot us second in the current (2024) pecking order and third in last year's final. 

Gruntled.

Also, NSIAP:

http://i.imgur.com/97GUAlP.png

Edited by derpyhorndog
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He was actually 1st team before the injury. He is starter quality depth if healthy.

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Guilbeau is going to be really good for us....in one of the IT videos recently they talked about how good he has looked behind Barron. Essentially said they don't see much, if any drop off. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Guilbeau is going to be really good for us....in one of the IT videos recently they talked about how good he has looked behind Barron. Essentially said they don't see much, if any drop off. 

He was actually starting over Barron before he got hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

SiAP

Gerry Hamilton: Texas has top targets remaining with #AllGasNoBrakes momentum

Duncanville, Texas – When On3 Industry Ranking 5-star+ Colin Simmons announced for Texas over LSU Thursday, the Longhorns suddenly had the momentum needed on the recruiting trail. Steve Sarkisian and staff didn’t just get the best pass rushing prospect in the country in Simmons, but a strong voice with national reach.

With Simmons now headlining a class that already featured some strong voices such as Jordon Johnson-Rubell and Jerrick Gibson, Texas now carries the needed momentum with other top targets remaining on the board. Inside Texas takes a look at what’s still possible for the Texas staff, with the understanding that a new prospect or two will likely emerge over time.

Wide receiver

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 6 (5-star)
The skinny: Texas Tech leads Texas. Hudson watched Simmons announcement Thursday.

Ryan Wingo, WR, Saint Louis (Mo.) University
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 24 (5-star)
The skinny: Missouri has gained steam if you listen to those close to the Tigers program. Texas will have Wingo and family back on campus September 17 for the Wyoming game. Tennessee still has a legit shot too. Texas A&M is in the mix on some level. Georgia and Michigan are still in contact.

Terry Bussey, WR, Timpson (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 19 (5-star)
The skinny: Texas A&M held a big lead for the majority of the summer. LSU made a push. Now it’s Texas’ turn to make a push, if the Horns are all in. Oklahoma also remains a hat at the table.

Offensive line

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 22 (5-star)
The inside skinny: Texas continues to do well with the family. Ohio State, Oregon and Nebraska are the competition. Baker is scheduled to officially visit Nebraska September 16. Texas is working to get him back on campus September 30th weekend.

Blake Ivy, IOL, League City (Texas) Clear Springs
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 113 (4-star)
The inside skinny: Texas A&M has led LSU and Texas for weeks. The Horns haven’t thrown in the towel as of Sunday.

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 146 (4-star)
The inside skinny: Auburn feel fairly confident. Texas continues to receive positive feedback from DeAndre and family. Carter is scheduled to be in Austin September 30 for an official visit. Michigan State and USC are in it.

Weston Davis, OT, Beaumont (Texas) United – Texas A&M verbal
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 101 (4-star)
The inside skinny: Texas continues to have communication with the very athletic tackle prospect. A fall visit to a Texas game is not out of the question.

Defensive Line

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 23 (5-star)
The inside skinny: McKinley will announce September 1 out of Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU and Texas A&M. Oklahoma and Texas continue to receive the most chatter. Ohio State feels like they have a legitimate chance with Dominick, but distance could be a factor. The picks coming in for Texas right now are premature per a source I spoke with twice in the last 24 hours.

EDGE

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 243 (4-star)
In play: Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oregon and LSU

Danny Okoye, EDGE, Tulsa (Okla.) NOAH Homeschool
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 190 (4-star)
The inside skinny: Oklahoma has an official visit set for the first weekend in September. The Sooners have continued to surge since the end of July. Tennessee, Texas, Alabama and possibly LSU remain in the mix. Okoye is scheduled to be in Austin September 17 for the Wyoming game.

Solomon Williams, EDGE, Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 256 (4-star)
The inside skinny: Alabama has the most momentum behind the scenes prior to August. Texas, Oregon, Texas A&M and UCF are in the mix. Williams has been talking to Texas about a fall official visit. He will be in Tuscaloosa for the Alabama-Texas showdown.

Defensive back

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 25 (5-star)
The inside skinny: Texas has a healthy lead over Texas A&M, LSU, Oregon and Ohio State.

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 72 (4-star)
The inside skinny: Texas, Florida, LSU and Florida State are where the decision will come from with the Longhorns and Gators receiving the most mention in recent weeks.

• Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I baffled on how aggy bungled Bussey. Did somebody shit in the pool?

Bussey and Ivy have seemed like a&m locks for months. If they lose those two then some of the shit that they swept under the rug must have burned a hole through the bottom. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Bussey and Ivy have seemed like a&m locks for months. If they lose those two then some of the shit that they swept under the rug must have burned a hole through the bottom. 

Anyone know how hard Texas is recruiting Bussey? I am not under the impression that Bussey is priority, but I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Anyone know how hard Texas is recruiting Bussey? I am not under the impression that Bussey is priority, but I could be wrong. 

I don't think he becomes a priority unless we don't get Black or Mack. But I'm honestly not even sure if we want him as a defensive prospect.

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I baffled on how aggy bungled Bussey. Did somebody shit in the pool?

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am with you guys on these two. I've never gotten a good answer in terms of what in the fuck is going in either of these recruitments. Bussey wants to stay away from a big city. No one felt like serious headway had been made when that dude last visited Austin. It's really weird. 

As to Ivy, apparently the depth chart is an issue. It's like a reverse Shanahan where we'd really like to get the guy but he seems to be resigning himself to the idea that he's going to ATM by default. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wingo and Okoye are visiting for the Wyoming game.

I will be surprised if Okoye makes that visit. It's a weird recruitment, so who the hell knows? OU is working to make it really, really hard for that dude to leave the state. My bet is on them, and they lock it up before the guy makes his rounds this fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I will be surprised if Okoye makes that visit. It's a weird recruitment, so who the hell knows? OU is working to make it really, really hard for that dude to leave the state. My bet is on them, and they lock it up before the guy makes his rounds this fall.

If he does, it will be interesting if he brings his mom along. I recall during the summer al the visits he went on his mom did no accompany him on any. 

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Agreed. Which reminds me, does anyone remember that 1999 game where we lost to NC State bc of THREE (3) blocked punts?

God damn it. I was at that game. I haven’t thought about that game in at least a decade. Keep this shit to yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

I thought he said second round.

I thought the way he phrased it is he needs to improve some part of his game(I can't remember which part) and could work himself into a late 1st to second round grade.

Another Gerry note just now is Texas is going to stay on Tyanthony Smith until the finish line.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I thought the way he phrased it is he needs to improve some part of his game(I can't remember which part) and could work himself into a late 1st to second round grade.

He said a scout had him at a second round grade right now. That's the way I heard it anyway.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Agreed. Which reminds me, does anyone remember that 1999 game where we lost to NC State bc of THREE (3) blocked punts?

True story- I got so drunk after that game I walked back to West Campus to see my girlfriend, showed up at my ex girlfriend’s place and the next day I broke up with my girlfriend and played it off like it was an intentional move to get back with the ex girlfriend. That’s how much alcohol I consumed to deal with three blocked punts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

True story- I got so drunk after that game I walked back to West Campus to see my girlfriend, showed up at my ex girlfriend’s place and the next day I broke up with my girlfriend and played it off like it was an intentional move to get back with the ex girlfriend. That’s how much alcohol I consumed to deal with three blocked punts. 

Woke up under a rug on the floor of Jester….I lived off Riverside. Had to go get my car after it was towed because I hurriedly parked in the wrong spot trying to make it back from a family function to my first game as a student. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

I thought he said second round.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

He said a scout had him at a second round grade right now. That's the way I heard it anyway.

I heard Henry James,  BurntOrange&White and Longhornlove don't know what the hell he said.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

Hey motherfucker, remember when that local radio host missed multiple field goals in the Cotton Bowl vs UGA?!?

Well now I remember because of the your post sending me down dark memory lane!

26 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

Hey motherfucker, remember when that local radio host missed multiple field goals in the Cotton Bowl vs UGA?!?

Well now I remember because of the your post sending me down dark memory lane!

Ward did miss two field goals but being that he hit on three of them for all of Texas' scoring that day and being that he still holds the NCAA record for game-winning field goals I'm willing to let him slide.

21 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Ward did miss two field goals but being that he hit on three of them for all of Texas' scoring that day and being that he still holds the NCAA record for game-winning field goals I'm willing to let him slide.

Had he hit one of the missed field goals Texas would have won the MNC '84.

And whenever I've heard him talking about that game he usually talks about the ineptitude of the offense but never brings up the missed field goals.

Anyway, moving on.

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

Blocked on the same exact protection breakdown... Coaches had the genius idea to switch to a new snapper without actually fixing the protection.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by satyanash
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 23
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Woke up under a rug on the floor of Jester….I lived off Riverside. Had to go get my car after it was towed because I hurriedly parked in the wrong spot trying to make it back from a family function to my first game as a student. 

Username checks out. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls