Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

24 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Five Star Plus+ 

Season 3 Ugh GIF by The Office

Ten years from now we'll have Five Star Plus++(^2), Five StarMax and finally, Super Five StarMax+ Ultimate Edition recruits. 

My wife tells the story of her notoriously frugal dad being proud of himself for finding a "6 star" hotel in Mexico to take the family one year.  Even though it was super cheap, he was still dismissive when people told him there was no such thing as a 6 star hotel.  Turns out when you market yourself as a 6 star hotel with nothing to actually back up that claim, there isn't any sort of standard you have to hold yourself to.  My wife said "2 star if I'm being generous".

This has nothing to do with recruiting other than Five Star Plus+ sounds totally made up.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

My wife tells the story of her notoriously frugal dad being proud of himself for finding a "6 star" hotel in Mexico to take the family one year.  Even though it was super cheap, he was still dismissive when people told him there was no such thing as a 6 star hotel.  Turns out when you market yourself as a 6 star hotel with nothing to actually back up that claim, there isn't any sort of standard you have to hold yourself to.  My wife said "2 star if I'm being generous".

This has nothing to do with recruiting other than Five Star Plus+ sounds totally made up.

image.png.33de332fd58314b9ba569e5227f9458a.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

It is made up, but in this case it does have a definition- it’s when a player has a 5 star rating at each rating service. As opposed to only some of them or only the composite. 

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Gibson, Johnson-Rubell, Kern, and Lacey will all be on ESPN or ESPN2. I'm a bit shocked Duncanville - SOC won't be televised.

Just another example of aggy paranoia. They believe the Texas AD controls the UIL. The UIL controls what TXHS games can be on TV. Yet… the mighty tuIL can’t get Colin Simmons on ESPN. 

Once again, I wish we were all powerful like aggy thinks we are. 

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just another example of aggy paranoia. They believe the Texas AD controls the UIL. The UIL controls what TXHS games can be on TV. Yet… the mighty tuIL can’t get Colin Simmons on ESPN. 

Once again, I wish we were all powerful like aggy thinks we are. 

TBF it is part of UT:

The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1910 the UIL has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world. 

image.png.eb9cc08d2c2547aee69cfc9987d2312e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

TBF it is part of UT:

The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1910 the UIL has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world. 

image.png.eb9cc08d2c2547aee69cfc9987d2312e.png

Duh. But aggy accuses us of manipulating the UIL for our benefit. 

24 minutes ago, Getafix said:

While I feel LSU has made up some ground since the Bayou Splash and the medical event that followed with Jimmy Lindsey, there is still more work for Frank Wilson and co. that lies ahead over the next week.

Frank Wilson and co is the new Jimbo Fisher and co?
If I had the personality of Brian Kelly, I would let all of my assistants do the recruiting too.

Baker's film shows that he's got the total package. Great size/frame, quick feet, mean streak.

He's the most important recruit left on the board. We don't have a Kelvin Banks heir apparent on campus, don't have an obvious Plan B at OT in the 2024 recruiting class, and those guys don't show up much in the portal. As we've seen this offseason, having a badass locking down one tackle spot is so, so beneficial to the depth chart because it allows the coaches so much flexibility to fill out the other 4 spots.

Really interesting that positive news has picked up in the last few weeks with Baker, around the same time as the Simmons commitment. I haven't heard if Baker is a big NIL recruitment or not, but I wonder if we did something to really turn his head.

• Hook 'Em 2

Something interested I just noticed. Here's the complete list of uncommited guys from the composite top 50:

6. David Stone

9. Micah Hudson

19. Terry Bussey

21. Brandon Baker

24. Ryan Wingo

25. Kobe Black

35. Aydin Breland

38. Dominick McKinley

39. Jordan Seaton

48. Guerby Lambert

So out of 10 guys left uncommitted in the top 50, we are heavily involved/leading for 4 of them, and at least nominally still recruiting 2 others. Coincidence? Intentional strategy by Sark?

29 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If we land McKinley, between '23/'24 we'll have stolen 3 of the top 4 LA prospects from swamp aggy. That's crazy considering, but may become the new norm if they can't pull NIL together in a meaningful way. LSU will load up on in-state 4-15, and it will be open season for the top 3. 

Donald Glover Good GIF - Donald Glover Good - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 5

The fact that they have to keep referencing "Wilson and company" and not like, Brian Kelly or the position coach, kind of gives away a big part of their weakness here, doesn't it?

Yes, but also, Bran Kelly makes Tom Herman look bubbly. Can’t imagine he’s a great closer anywhere that isn’t the LSU facilities.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls