Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

3 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

1. Like Gerry has said, most kids have already decided when they set their dates and a&m wasn’t being mentioned when he set his decision date.

18 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

If the kid himself is to be believed, which I'm more inclined to do given his distain for the recruiting circus, he recently told Sam Spiegelman that he decided on a school "about a month-plus ago." What schools other than Texas were under serious consideration about a month ago? A&M was viewed as a blip on the edge of the radar, largely written off in the "just a hat on the table" category with LSU. 

2. Once you set that date it puts a target on schools to ramp up their pressure and if this was an NIL recruitment then I would weigh that late push pressure more, but I believe CTJ that it isn’t, which means a late push wouldn’t present any new info vs when he made his mind up and set his date.

If CTJ and certain 9.95'ers are to believed, this isn't an NIL-focused recruitment, such that one wouldn't expect this to be a last minute bag battle with schools jockeying for position down to the wire. If this was a NIL-focused recruitment, the alleged A&M "resurgence" would mean a lot more.

So it seems the most likely explanation is this a&m hype is for show, which I like bc fuck them.

All of the last-minute 9.95'er reporting is noise for clicks.

l-intro-1686144123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve noticed Gerry is now putting the order as a&m first and ut second when talking about McKinley and which schools it is down to. I am guessing the whole surge in a&m seems is manufactured in order to pump up the win against them for a couple reasons.

1. Like Gerry has said, most kids have already decided when they set their dates and a&m wasn’t being mentioned when he set his decision date.

2. Once you set that date it puts a target on schools to ramp up their pressure and if this was an NIL recruitment then I would weigh that late push pressure more, but I believe CTJ that it isn’t, which means a late push wouldn’t present any new info vs when he made his mind up and set his date.

So it seems the most likely explanation is this a&m hype is for show, which I like bc fuck them.

Texas has zero need to manufacture anything, especially against a&m. McKinley will be a beast, but if we miss on him we still have a damn good DLine class. They are largely irrelevant to what we are doing on the recruiting trail. They got a couple of guys we wanted, but 90% of the time they are an afterthought. 

12 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I don't post on the recruiting board very often, but I am going to make a general statement about recruiting and academics. Poster tend to make comments based on their own personal experiences. I can give examples but will focus on academics.

Let's say that a highly recruited young man from a small east Texas town takes a visit to OU. He wants to major in business and is serious about getting a good education. He takes a trip to OU and the first thing that the OU coaches do is take him to the academic center where he sees more computers and other devices than he has seen in his entire small town. He sees dozens of tutors working with some of the football players and he is incredibly impressed. 

Then he meets some of the business professors and they knock his socks off with their business presentations. Then, the coaches take him to meet Michael Price. Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago, but he was OU's Red McCombs. Price tells him how his OU business education helped him become the huge success that he became. The kid is in awe and comes home and raves about the OU education. Poster laugh at the kid because they are making assumptions based on their own personal experiences and not on the young man's recent experiences.

In my personal experience, Columbus is closer to Lafayette than College Station. Advantage, Buckeyes

Edited by TotallyLegit

Gerry with some thoughts on McKinley

Spoiler

On3 Industry Ranking 5-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley is about 48 hours away from his announcement.

The 6-foot-5, 280-pounder will announce his decision at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Acadiana High.

College coaches currently scheduled to attend are Oklahoma’s Todd Bates, Texas’ Bo Davis (McKinley and Melvin Hills playing) and an assistant from LSU. Of course, it’s possible Texas A&M’s Elijah Robinson ends up making the trip as well.

Inside Texas takes a look at the programs ahead of the decision.

Texas Longhorns

As of Wednesday early afternoon Texas has not been informed either way by McKinley or family. With that said, the feeling in Austin is less confident in the last 48 hours in a recruitment that has revolved largely around Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M since the June visits.

What does Texas have going for them? It’s the drivable distance from Lafayette for one family member. With little brother Darryus McKinley having two years left of Friday night football after Dominick graduates, that travel has been a topic of conversation for weeks. Texas is also strong in computer science, the planned major. McKinley and the circle has been in contact consistently with Steve Sarkisian and Davis the entire way through. That includes in the last 24 hours. Texas moving to the SEC has been a positive too.

Texas A&M Aggies

Texas A&M has had differing levels of confidence, or lack thereof throughout the summer headed into the decision. At times, there wasn’t much chance given. That includes for a time in July. That has increased in the last two weeks, obviously.

What does Texas A&M have going for them? After LSU, which is not expected to be the pick, College Station is closest to Lafayette. The sizes of College Station and Lafayette are very similar, and there is a feeling of comfort. Texas A&M is also strong among the Power 5 football universities considered in computer science. The SEC appeal is there, obviously.

Oklahoma Sooners

Coming out of June official visits, Texas and Oklahoma were the top two. When Inside Texas visited Acadiana High two weeks ago, the schools mentioned by someone very close to the recruitment were Texas A&M, Texas and LSU. In fact, Oklahoma defensive line coach Todd Bates had put in calls to multiple coaches on the Acadiana High staff to get a feel for where the Sooners were sitting.

What does Oklahoma have going for them? The McKinley’s are a very religious family. Dominick and Darryus leave Tuesday practice and head to Bible study weekly. Both Bates and Director of Player Personnel and Recruiting JR Sandlin have hit home runs in that regard. Norman also has a size and feel similar to Lafayette. And the Sooners will be in the SEC. What Oklahoma has been having to overcome is tough travel after Friday night high school games in Lafayette to Norman.

Ohio State Buckeyes

Larry Johnson’s resume. Columbus, Ohio is just thought to be too far from home by some in the circle. Ohio State’s history of winning and NFL Draft picks since McKinley was old enough to watch the Buckeyes play has been a positive.

LSU Tigers

LSU has proximity in its favor, in a big way. The Tigers aren’t expected to be the pick Friday, as of today. But they will continue to recruit McKinley. Tigers assistant Frank Wilson doesn’t generally walk away from the top in state targets.

• Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

On3 Industry Ranking 5-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley is about 48 hours away from his announcement.

The 6-foot-5, 280-pounder will announce his decision at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Acadiana High.

College coaches currently scheduled to attend are Oklahoma’s Todd Bates, Texas’ Bo Davis (McKinley and Melvin Hills playing) and an assistant from LSU. Of course, it’s possible Texas A&M’s Elijah Robinson ends up making the trip as well.

Texas Longhorns

As of Wednesday early afternoon Texas has not been informed either way by McKinley or family. With that said, the feeling in Austin is less confident in the last 48 hours in a recruitment that has revolved largely around Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M since the June visits.

What does Texas have going for them? It’s the drivable distance from Lafayette for one family member. With little brother Darryus McKinley having two years left of Friday night football after Dominick graduates, that travel has been a topic of conversation for weeks. Texas is also strong in computer science, the planned major. McKinley and the circle has been in contact consistently with Steve Sarkisian and Davis the entire way through. That includes in the last 24 hours. Texas moving to the SEC has been a positive too.

Texas A&M Aggies

Texas A&M has had differing levels of confidence, or lack thereof throughout the summer headed into the decision. At times, there wasn’t much chance given. That includes for a time in July. That has increased in the last two weeks, obviously.

What does Texas A&M have going for them? After LSU, which is not expected to be the pick, College Station is closest to Lafayette. The sizes of College Station and Lafayette are very similar, and there is a feeling of comfort. Texas A&M is also strong among the Power 5 football universities considered in computer science. The SEC appeal is there, obviously.

Oklahoma Sooners

Coming out of June official visits, Texas and Oklahoma were the top two. When Inside Texas visited Acadiana High two weeks ago, the schools mentioned by someone very close to the recruitment were Texas A&M, Texas and LSU. In fact, Oklahoma defensive line coach Todd Bates had put in calls to multiple coaches on the Acadiana High staff to get a feel for where the Sooners were sitting.

What does Oklahoma have going for them? The McKinley’s are a very religious family. Dominick and Darryus leave Tuesday practice and head to Bible study weekly. Both Bates and Director of Player Personnel and Recruiting JR Sandlin have hit home runs in that regard. Norman also has a size and feel similar to Lafayette. And the Sooners will be in the SEC. What Oklahoma has been having to overcome is tough travel after Friday night high school games in Lafayette to Norman.

Ohio State Buckeyes

Larry Johnson’s resume. Columbus, Ohio is just thought to be too far from home by some in the circle. Ohio State’s history of winning and NFL Draft picks since McKinley was old enough to watch the Buckeyes play has been a positive.

LSU Tigers

LSU has proximity in its favor, in a big way. The Tigers aren’t expected to be the pick Friday, as of today. But they will continue to recruit McKinley. Tigers assistant Frank Wilson doesn’t generally walk away from the top in state targets.

Sigh, he’s going to A&M isn’t he

• Rage+1 1

Spoiler

Texas Longhorns
Texas A&M Aggies
Oklahoma Sooners
Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers

giphy.gif

https://247sports.com/article/dominick-mckinley-commitment-top-schools-texas-am-texas-lsu-oklahoma-ohio-state-215076417/

The important parts:

Regarding Texas

Dominick: “I love how Coach (Steve) Sark(isian) is really honest and he’s honest with all his players and his coaching staff, and how Coach Bo (Davis) is energetic and honest with you as well and they can get things rolling.”

Angie: “We were able to visit them twice. A great staff. Coach Bo was very welcoming, was knowledgable, able to answer all our questions. Coach Sark he just text me a couple days ago. He’s always in touch. I feel confident they could grow Dominick in every aspect.”

Regarding Texas A&M

Dominick: “Love how Coach E(lijah) Robinson, Coach Tony (Jerod-Eddie) they treat all their players like they’re their own family. They have a great community and they take care of their players.”

Angie: “I not only got to know the coaches, I got to know their families as well, where I knew they would text me after church, ‘how was church, we did that at church today.’ It was really like a family. I know that Coach Robinson has a great personality, one that Dominick can connect with. Coach Mason (Smith) is always texting Dom and keeping in touch. Even with me, they became like family as well.”

Angie said her son has gone “back and forth” on his final two.

“We’ll see what his final decision will be,” she said.

Edited by TXRed

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls