Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

27 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Maybe just a giant head fake to drum up some excitement similar to Simmons. 

I really don't think that's how McKinley rolls, but, sure, I hope you're right.

24 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Regardless of McKinley, do we think the staff will look to the JUCO ranks for a DT?  We are going to need another body ready to play meaningful snaps next year, wether it's from the portal or JUCO.

I could see Robinson maybe factoring in being an EE, but Hills and January more than likely red shirt.

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Portal is tough at DT. It isnt like WR. There are not a lot of game changers at DT in the portal, programs do everything to keep them on the roster. The few that get away are just as tough to land, as 5 star DTs. 

I don't see JUCO, but I'm not as down on the portal for a DT as I once was. Carter has been a quality pick-up. Bear Alexander was a quality draft pick for USC. Gone are the days that every DT's college transcripts look like a rat's nest. 

I think the depth chart and experience will be okay next year, albeit not a team strength. If they are successful in the portal with a difference maker, that part of the roster suddenly looks excellent with what's coming and presumed to be coming back.

• Hook 'Em 7

Was thinking about this earlier, but there are probably fewer 5 star interior DL than any other position most years outside of maybe TE. So when you have 30 five stars in a cycle and only 3 or 4 of them play DT, the margin for error becomes slim. Then add in the fact that this state only produces 5-star interior DL maybe every couple of years. So you are oftentimes looking out of state and going against school like Bama and Georgia who get who they want in the front 7 right now. And then add in whatever the hell you want to call what A&M does. 

Just not a recipe for consistent success in reeling in 5-star DT. This doesn't even factor in the suckage of the last 13 years which hasn't help. 

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Was thinking about this earlier, but there are probably fewer 5 star interior DL than any other position most years outside of maybe TE. So when you have 30 five stars in a cycle and only 3 or 4 of them play DT, the margin for error becomes slim. Then add in the fact that this state only produces 5-star interior DL maybe every couple of years. So you are oftentimes looking out of state and going against school like Bama and Georgia who get who they want in the front 7 right now. And then add in whatever the hell you want to call what A&M does. 

Just not a recipe for consistent success in reeling in 5-star DT. This doesn't even factor in the suckage of the last 13 years which hasn't help. 

There just aren't many programs that consistently land that level of talent in any reliable way.  I saw a report that the only 5-star DL signed last cycle outside of the SEC were Woods at Clemson and Adebawore at OU.  That's it for everyone not named Bama, Georgia, and LSU.

Interesting so far that we haven't seen any picks get flipped or roll in for any team about McKinley. Only recent picks are from Rivals and that is Ketch and Landyn(A&M guy).

Landyn Rosow's college football & basketball recruiting forecasts and  articles
Landyn 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Congratulations, you're fucking Saytanash. Your pussy is gaping so wide that the lips could catch a breeze and sail you to Cuba.

Would you like a bottle of Havana Club and a cigar? 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Interesting so far that we haven't seen any picks get flipped or roll in for any team about McKinley. Only recent picks are from Rivals and that is Ketch and Landyn(A&M guy).

Landyn 

That guy doesn't know shit.  Just looks at what other sites/picks are and goes off that.  He flipped his pick on Simmons back and forth numerous times from Texas to LSU.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Landyn 

Would you like a bottle of Havana Club and a cigar? 

Cigars are disgusting, but if you want to bring back Ana De Armas I'll consider your board vaginitis forgiven. 

• Drool 1

I dont know how much this has been discussed wrt McKinley, but from the moment I heard that he wanted to major in Engineering (at first) and now computer science the difficulty of him actually getting into his preferred major at UT was a problem I've had lurking in the back of mind and it seemed weird that it wasnt being discussed. Say what you want, but he won't have anywhere near the problem getting into those departments at OU or A&M as he would have at UT and I cant help but wonder if this fact is playing a factor in his final decision.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I dont know how much this has been discussed wrt McKinley, but from the moment I heard that he wanted to major in Engineering (at first) and now computer science the difficulty of him actually getting into his preferred major at UT was a problem I've had lurking in the back of mind and it seemed weird that it wasnt being discussed. Say what you want, but he won't have anywhere near the problem getting into those departments at OU or A&M as he would have at UT and I cant help but wonder if this fact is playing a factor in his final decision.

Surely if he's a smart kid who tests well they can get him in.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

I don't get this whole Comp Sci hangup. Wasn't Joseph Ossai a Comp Sci major?

Joseph Ossai was still listed as undeclared his final season.  https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/joseph-ossai/9802

According to reports, he wss "looking to major in Arts and Entertainment Technology with a minor in Computer Science"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

difference makers at DT are important but they are not required to get where we want to go. Find enough 3 and 4 stars who are big enough to hold the point of attack and let your LBs and DEs do the rest. A difference maker at DE and at CB is much more important to overall success. Dont get me wrong, i hope we get this guy and every other 5 star at DT. but they arent necessary to have a great defense like difference makers at DE and CB are. Competent big bodies that can stand up the other team's OL while the other guys make the play will do just fine. and if every now and then we get a great one, thats icing on the cake.

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Now, for the rest of you, I will remind you that McKinkley wasn't even the top guy on our DL board, and we got those guys. We have questions about his motor and dedication, and everyone absorbed that information when it was delivered at the time, but fast forward a few weeks and most of you are back here wringing your hands because you're chasing star rankings and want another five star to add to the class for recruiting bragging rights. Pull youselves together. That being said, I also want him to sign with Texas because I think this staff can develop guys like him and the culture will help, unlike say at aTm. I'm also not going to draw a hot bath to slit my wrists if he chooses aTm either. 

This is true. I personally have had questions about his motor ever since I heard A&M is surging into the lead… 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty sure our college players get into whatever college they want to try their hand at...

Hmmm, I can only think of a handful of UT football players who majored in engineering over the last 20 years.  Shit, UT athletes for that matter. I believe there's current freshman Olinemen majoring in engineering (cant remember who) and Bryan Pickeryl majored in some sort of engineering although i dont know how much his medical redshirt allowed that to be a possibility. Then there was Gabe Muoneke and Lamont Hill on the basketball team. Those are literally the only athletes in our 2 major sports who i can think of who majored in engineering over the last 25 to 30 years.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hmmm, I can only think of a handful of UT football players who majored in engineering over the last 20 years.  Shit, UT athletes for that matter. I believe there's current freshman Olinemen majoring in engineering (cant remember who) and Bryan Pickeryl majored in some sort of engineering although i dont know how much is medical redshurt allowes that to be a possibility. Then there was Gabe Muoneke and Lamont Hill on the basketball team. Those are literally the only athletes in our 2 major sports who i can think of who majored in engineering over the last 25 to 30 years.  

Even Hayden Conner switched down to Geography: https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/hayden-conner/12416

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hmmm, I can only think of a handful of UT football players who majored in engineering over the last 20 years.  Shit, UT athletes for that matter. I believe there's current freshman Olinemen majoring in engineering (cant remember who) and Bryan Pickeryl majored in some sort of engineering although i dont know how much his medical redshirt allowed that to be a possibility. Then there was Gabe Muoneke and Lamont Hill on the basketball team. Those are literally the only athletes in our 2 major sports who i can think of who majored in engineering over the last 25 to 30 years.  

Yeah, but thats not what I said.  I'm pretty sure that they are allowed to try their hand at any school they want...this doesn't correlate with "not many athletes want to be an engineer." I'm not surprised 30% of the football team isnt lining up to play ball and be a fucking engineer. And that's before you consider the tremendous company engineers, getting to hang around in groups of people who are always certain, seldom right and have egos far bigger than most of their accomplishments. Who wouldn't want to spend their time away from football doing math with THOSE guys, amirite?

For all of those engineers on this thread who's veins are popping out of their heads and are having a Mitch McConnell moment, it's just a little rubbin'. And rubbin', son, is racin'.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

A&M signs a lot of players who want to be engineers. Then they arrive in College Station and find out that the coursework doesn't actually qualify them to drive trains. They end up majoring in Chicken Fucking instead.

This made me google what a Train Conductor can make as a salary. I grew up thinking that it was a good, valuable blue collar job that was somewhat sought after. I'm not sure how much of that was just my perception from some snippet I read or entirely my fantasy, but holy shit it sure as fuck isn't the case anymore, if it ever was...

Solid aggie job, imo. 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

the only one on the current roster with a set major in engineering someone named Thatcher Milton is majoring in mechanical engineering. i think he was/is a PWO

image.thumb.png.93b429c86c8052187dea85af0e767686.png

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster?view=2

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

maps-ad.gif

Buster studied cartography, not geography!

here is a longer cut but it's better than the original one i had linked:

Lucille: Out of my way. Out, out, out. Lindsay, take the wheel. Buster, find us a channel to the ocean.

Buster: Gee, I don’t really have any of my mapping equipment with me.

Lindsay: You’ve had $80,000 worth of cartography lessons. Get us a channel to the ocean.

Buster: Okay, okay, okay.

George, Sr.: Can you hear me now?

Buster: Okay. Obviously this blue part here is the land... and that would mean...

the best part is that he studied cartography at...Stanford

yMvyn50.jpg

now, wonder who has a better Cartography program - Stanford or Texas?

e2: Tony Hale is a genius.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

This focus on majors is so weird to me. How many of you are actually working in the field you majored in? Am I the weird one because I'm a lawyer (history major)?

Lawyers always like to tell the rest of us that the choice of major in undergrad doesn't matter. They do this because of their chronic, myopic narcissism. People all over the world are using their majors in their careers. Engineers, Accountants, Finance, Corporate Management, PR people, people in marketing and advertising, social services, teachers, etc. 

This is almost as bad your take regarding business school degrees from a few months ago. Maybe sit the next few degree/education discussions out for the sake of the rest of us, RP.

16 minutes ago, Bamboozled73 said:

I would not be surprised if it comes down to NIL.   They narrowed it to 2-3 schools based on education, compatibility, and proximity.   Now let the bidding process play out.  

This isn't what's happening on this one. I've already laid out for you what's happening. It's not an NIL thing. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

This focus on majors is so weird to me. How many of you are actually working in the field you majored in? Am I the weird one because I'm a lawyer (history major)?

I'm pretty sure Government, English, History, etc. liberal arts majors are basically just pre-law.

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This made me google what a Train Conductor can make as a salary. I grew up thinking that it was a good, valuable blue collar job that was somewhat sought after. I'm not sure how much of that was just my perception from some snippet I read or entirely my fantasy, but holy shit it sure as fuck isn't the case anymore, if it ever was...

Solid aggie job, imo. 

It's the train Engineer Salary you are looking for. That position is above a conductor.

image.thumb.png.90783051c55460e1c78851337e85e8b2.png

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Solid aggie job, imo. 

Last I heard, JD Reininger was driving trains.

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Solid aggie job, imo. 

Buddy of mine went to do some electrical work for a guy in town. When he got to his house the client had a heavy French accent. He asked the guy what he does for a living and he told him he was a conductor. My buddy responded that he always wanted to drive a train. The client responded that he is the conductor of the local symphony. 

• Haha 7

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

the only one on the current roster with a set major in engineering someone named Thatcher Milton is majoring in mechanical engineering. i think he was/is a PWO

image.thumb.png.93b429c86c8052187dea85af0e767686.png

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster?view=2

Wait, that dude is black? Our walk-on WR named Thatcher Milton? Huh. 

From listening to almost all of the IT stuff, I've gotten the impression that McKinley probably has the best relationship with Bates and Larry Johnson.  tOSU is too far.  ou may be to far as well.  I think the family probably very much likes Texas.  Mom likes the graduation rates.  While I think Texas is far superior in every way academically, athletically, culturally than aggy.... mom may be fine with their academics.  Gerry has mentioned a million times that distance is a big factor as she will need to drive after seeing younger brother play Friday nights.  Maybe that was the deciding factor.  Either way, Jackson is not a guy that will be an impact player next year.  He needs development like Alfred Collins.  Also for all you pussies that may meltdown... the IT guys mentioned Texas has more active interior DL in the league than UGA.  We also have more active safeties in the league than Georgia as well.  We will also have Murphy, Collins, and Sweat get drafted.  DL is still a position that requires a ton of development whether they are 5 stars or 3 stars.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

It's the train Engineer Salary you are looking for. That position is above a conductor.

image.thumb.png.90783051c55460e1c78851337e85e8b2.png

I know two guys that are engineers. It's a tough job with horrible hours and frequent furloughs. They were both truckdrivers in the past and speak much more fondly of those days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls