Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

42 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I was on a United flight last week into Liberia, Costa Rica and they were trying to land during a particularly violent part of the afternoon monsoonal rain. Few things are as breathtaking in life as a rapidly aborted flight landing.

I've now been on 4 flights in my life that had an aborted landing - 2 due to weather and 2 in clear skies. One was during a tropical storm and flightaware showed that we dropped from 4000ft on approach at IAH to 300ft in like 15 seconds, and you could feel it on the plane while the pilot tilted the plane straight up and fucking gunned it back towards the sky. I watched the flight attendants, long after the flight had landed, hug the pilots while crying at the gate after getting off the plane.

I'm thinking Garmin would struggle under some of those circumstances. Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was on a United flight last week into Liberia, Costa Rica and they were trying to land during a particularly violent part of the afternoon monsoonal rain. Few things are as breathtaking in life as a rapidly aborted flight landing.

I've now been on 4 flights in my life that had an aborted landing - 2 due to weather and 2 in clear skies. One was during a tropical storm and flightaware showed that we dropped from 4000ft on approach at IAH to 300ft in like 15 seconds, and you could feel it on the plane while the pilot tilted the plane straight up and fucking gunned it back towards the sky. I watched the flight attendants, long after the flight had landed, hug the pilots while crying at the gate after getting off the plane.

I'm thinking Garmin would struggle under some of those circumstances. Fuck that.

My flight into Austin Mueller Airport was aborted back in the day when, as we approached on a rainy day and broke through the low cloud cover, I could see folks in their golf carts driving into the trees to open the fairway for us.  The pilot pulled up and did a better job in Round Two.

• Haha 4

A&M signs a lot of players who want to be engineers. Then they arrive in College Station and find out that the coursework doesn't actually qualify them to drive trains. They end up majoring in Chicken Fucking instead.
I have a relative who graduated from aggy with an engineering degree and after that happened any perceived status of their engineering program flew right out the window for me. This wasn't even that long ago (they were already on their way to diploma mill status) yet he had to go the Blindergarten route to get in to aggy. Smdh

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This made me google what a Train Conductor can make as a salary. I grew up thinking that it was a good, valuable blue collar job that was somewhat sought after. I'm not sure how much of that was just my perception from some snippet I read or entirely my fantasy, but holy shit it sure as fuck isn't the case anymore, if it ever was...

Solid aggie job, imo. 

A solid job for an A&M business graduate is making $15/hour as a used car salesman at Sewell Automotive

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:
A&M signs a lot of players who want to be engineers. Then they arrive in College Station and find out that the coursework doesn't actually qualify them to drive trains. They end up majoring in Chicken Fucking instead.

I have a relative who graduated from aggy with an engineering degree and after that happened any perceived status of their engineering program flew right out the window for me. This wasn't even that long ago (they were already on their way to diploma mill status) yet he had to go the Blindergarten route to get in to aggy. Smdh

Pardon me, boy
Is that the Chattanooga choo choo?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I only experienced one aborted landing and it was at DFW when coming in from DC. Everything was smooth as could be and we are about to touch down when the pilot guns it straight up. No explanation or nothing. After one loop we approach and land. I always assumed someone started to cross the runway.

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I mean, we all liked Thomas The Tank Engine and our model train sets, but you realize those things run on tracks, right?  You don’t exactly need to pay top dollar for Michael Schumacher to drive them. 

While they don't have to steer, that's a lot of weight to get started and maintain the right speed to make it over the next incline without going so fast you derail on a corner.   I got my son a train simulator a while back and thought like you did, until I tried it.    

23 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I member when some people said Napier was going to make Florida a monster and that they wished Texas had hired him. 

First Florida looks like absolute ass vs Utah, even with SEC ref helping. 

Then Nebraska runs into the Gopher Jinx!

IMG_6922.gif.c2a8801289dab244f60613f1e9fee4b7.gif

IMG_6920.thumb.jpeg.ce8fdc43e15c0081ffe7a494f3410f8b.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This Florida DL commit visited us a couple times earlier this year.  Maybe we've remained in contact?

https://247sports.com/player/kendall-jackson-46127843/

Also, they have a 5* Safety commit from Texas, but doesn't look like we ever even offered?

https://247sports.com/player/xavier-filsaime-46103308/

I was curious about Filsaime and why we don't seem to be recruiting him- and neither do aggy or OU - so I went and watched his HUDL. I am substantially less curious now. Absolutely nothing about his highlights jump out to me. What am I missing? Did he test super well or something? He doesn't seem especially fast or quick on tape but maybe he ran a FAT 10.2 or something and that's why the $9.95ers like him? But he looks like a Haynes King special to me with none of the regional powers seemingly pushing for him

http://www.hudl.com/v/2J8k2n

13 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I was curious about Filsaime and why we don't seem to be recruiting him- and neither do aggy or OU - so I went and watched his HUDL. I am substantially less curious now. Absolutely nothing about his highlights jump out to me. What am I missing? Did he test super well or something? He doesn't seem especially fast or quick on tape but maybe he ran a FAT 10.2 or something and that's why the $9.95ers like him? But he looks like a Haynes King special to me with none of the regional powers seemingly pushing for him

http://www.hudl.com/v/2J8k2n

Here you go:

- Originally from Florida, has family there

- He has a 10.52 and a couple of other sub 11 100m times

- Supposedly has only played the position for a year

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Here you go:

- Originally from Florida, has family there

- He has a 10.52 and a couple of other sub 11 100m times

- Supposedly has only played the position for a year

“Short, slower Tyler Owens” is a hell of pitch to coaching staffs. But ole’ Billy did a big ole’ line and went all in, I guess. 

• Haha 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls