Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

I'd go to that game as a guest. It will be a wild scene with maximum Aggie regimented school spirit, and you get to see a Nick Saban coached Alabama team which will make a good memory.

I'm not worried about the Aggie pride in their yelling and standing. I'd prefer the feel of a big game at Memorial-DKR than that of Kyle Field. College football should be fun and festive. We've got that and Memorial rocks for big games.

While we obviously want Black, isn't he something like 4th on the staff's board behind Santana Wilson, Mack, and Selman Bridges?

Black would vault the class ranking, but if aggy wants to blow a load of cash on a guy our staff thinks is fungible, I'm all for it. Their evals resulted in taking (and playing) Tony Grimes, so.......

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

While we obviously want Black, isn't he something like 4th on the staff's board behind Santana Wilson, Mack, and Selman Bridges?

Black would vault the class ranking, but if aggy wants to blow a load of cash on a guy our staff thinks is fungible, I'm all for it. 

No. 

I believe they liked Mack the most followed by Black.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No. 

This is what I was referring to

On 8/10/2023 at 6:56 PM, closetojumping said:

As SC already referenced, Mack is higher on the board than Black. That said, I can't 100% say that he's viewed as more important, simply since Black is a Texas player. It's probably splitting hairs and they want both. Whether anyone else sees it this way or not, they have Wilson as high on the board as either other guy.

Point being, landing 2 of the top 3 on our board is still in play and the staff considers Black to be fungible among those 3. 

58 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Fong was on youtube yesterday saying Kobe would be there but he still likes where UT sits.. lol

The visit has been scheduled for 2 months. If he goes, it doesn't sound like his parents will be there. They'll be wherever OSU is playing, watching his big brother. And remember he had a long-planned visit to cajun aggy that he ended up canceling near the last minute.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Black would vault the class ranking, but if aggy wants to blow a load of cash on a guy our staff thinks is fungible, I'm all for it. Their evals resulted in taking (and playing) Tony Grimes, so.......

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No. 

35 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is what I was referring to

Point being, landing 2 of the top 3 on our board is still in play and the staff considers Black to be fungible among those 3. 

They'd take Mack before Black, but neither is fungible. They really want all 3 of those guys and they damned sure don't want Black going to ATM. Bridges was behind all of those guys. Black is a silent to Texas, but Fisher has a blank check if he beats Bama and they're talking to recruits like it's already done. It isn't just about one recruit, either. I posted new intel on it on the aggie thread.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As others have stated, aggy thinks by denying Texas quality DL it’ll lower our program ceiling. 

If I'm the aggy "brain trust," by now I might have concluded that Sark is going to keep assembling offensive firepower in Austin no matter what we or anyone else does, and that the best use of resources is to try to keep aggy better stocked on the defensive side than Texas is. A fully weaponized Longhorn team on both sides of the ball (e.g., 2005) is tough for anyone out there  to compete with. If this reality has dawned on aggy, I guess I salute their clarity of thought. 

On 10/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, SydneyCarton said:

In regards to handwringing over Williams, or A&M recruiting, man, I'm having a hard time giving a fuck right now. This shit will come correct. I feel like we're actually witnessing true development of players on this roster basically since...at least Mack Brown. Maybe better than him. Our defensive line is chock full of 3 stars, and they're playing like fucking monsters. Sweat, Murphy, Sorrell. And the asccension has been visible year over year. When was the last time we saw that from players that basically weren't just self-starters like Brian Orakpo and Colt McCoy? 

We're seeing linebackers develop. Ford was a 3 star, and now we see Gbenda improving. Our DBs are a factory of fucking studs, for fucks sake Michael Taffe is out there making plays. The only motherfucker who isn't deloping is Kitan Crawford, and apparently he's immune to learning, not out of ego or laziness, but an actual psycholgical disorder. We were worried about Finkley and Tapp having low ceilings or high bust rates, and low and behold those motherfuckers are out there every week looking better and better. I'd have liked to see us sign more guys on the DL to date this class, but shit, I'm a lot fucking less worried about getting the most of the guys that get here. Wait until the baseline is a bunch of 4 star talent to work with. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.gif 

Love this post. We have a top 10 defense with a ton of 3 stars right now, I'm really not too worried about recruiting with the coaching/development we're finally seeing. Meanwhile Jimbo has developed his players about as well as Turtle Tom.

Plus, the portal kinda makes HS recruiting a lot less important. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Its not just about the Alabama game. The Ags for sure want to keep as many recruits away from Dallas this weekend as possible, because who wouldn't want to play in that game

Visit experience for a neutral site game also isn’t the same as an on-campus game. Can’t go on the field, talk to the coaches, go in the locker room, etc.

2:30 game is also a little bit easier for guys to travel in for who have to drive quite a bit.

6 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Unless there are enforceable changes to NIL, the balance of power in college football is going to move away from Tuscaloosa and squarely to Austin and College Station. 

Aggy hasn't demonstrated the ability to win away games... Even if they beat Bama, they'll 100% lose 2 out of 3 of Tennessee, Ole Miss and LSU.

• Like 1

Honestly if anything yesterday showed us we need safety help. Our CB’s outside of Holmes played good. Brooks looked good imo but Thompson, Crawford and Taffee are liability’s. Williams is going to be a dawg but even now might be our best Safety. 

we also need a difference maker on the edge position. We need a Dog , hoping Simmons comes in ready to make an impact 

Idk what Gideon is doing but he needs to get off his ass and go find a Safety to pair with Williams 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

What?

Blake isn't the issue regarding recruiting. We've got the best secondary we've had in a while. DW and Muhammad are going to be All-Americans by the time they leave the 40.

Idk whose fault it is but somebody needs to do something. We knew Safety was going to be a weak link in the off-season that’s why we got Catalon, but is no reason we have 3 of the top ten Safety’s in the Nation in the state of Texas and only 1 has a Texas offer 🤷🏽‍♂️ and I never remember hearing us even really recruit him . 

I mean I get it with the portal but jeez is dangerous putting all your eggs in one basket. We need some athletes on the back end. Hopefully Roberson or one of the other Freshman pans out to pair with Williams 

Honestly if anything yesterday showed us we need safety help. Our CB’s outside of Holmes played good. Brooks looked good imo but Thompson, Crawford and Taffee are liability’s. Williams is going to be a dawg but even now might be our best Safety. 

we also need a difference maker on the edge position. We need a Dog , hoping Simmons comes in ready to make an impact 
Idk what Gideon is doing but he needs to get off his ass and go find a Safety to pair with Williams 
Safety could be better but I believe the staff knows that and this is why D. Williams is playing ALOT for a freshman.

Ray Charles has better eye discipline than Crawford and Taffee is a liability for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Idk whose fault it is but somebody needs to do something. We knew Safety was going to be a weak link in the off-season that’s why we got Catalon, but is no reason we have 3 of the top ten Safety’s in the Nation in the state of Texas and only 1 has a Texas offer and I never remember hearing us even really recruit him . 

I mean I get it with the portal but jeez is dangerous putting all your eggs in one basket. We need some athletes on the back end. Hopefully Roberson or one of the other Freshman pans out to pair with Williams 
We also knew Catalon was made of glass but you take that chance with someone of his caliber regarding talent.

Stop star chasing bud, you're caught up in Mack-level thinking. Sark and crew are bang-up talent evaluators, I give two shits about the stars. The fit, culture, and mental make-up are more important than stars in my opinion.

• Like 1

Relying on a guy we all knew was made of glass to be the physical enforcer, paired with a guy that runs 4.7 or greater that is not stoutly built and has poor open field tackling ability, backed up by Dylan Haines but without the INTs, and a special teams contributor... then calling that a deep room where we are comfortable with any of them rotating in big games... that doesn't sound like a particularly bang-up honest talent evaluation.  We've had worse no doubt, but talking about championships and then running into a rival in year 2 that has Bowman and Bowen smells like an underperformance of where we should be in year 3.  IDGAF who the land thieves have behind those 2, but I just know they came up with goal line stops, turnovers, and limited YAC on what we expected to be a plus matchup with our WR.  Unfortunately, this isn't some vast overachievement on their part, if anything they'll be even better by the time we maybe meet for a rematch.  Is Texas going to be a force on the back end to subdue WR with physicality, speed to cover the deep ball, and discipline to sniff out athletic QB run by years end or are we going to wonder why goal line offense is such a challenge for us and why scrambling QBs get 100 yards on us?

• Hook 'Em 1

We desperately need Black and Mack. Holmes is a good try hard kid, but he was torched yesterday. Just flat-footed and missed several tackles that turned into huge gains. Texas really missed Watts yesterday.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Speaking of catalon, any news on his injury?  Looked like a knee hyperextension, hoping for no structural damage. 

I thought he returned later in the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We desperately need Black and Mack. Holmes is a good try hard kid, but he was torched yesterday. Just flat-footed and missed several tackles that turned into huge gains. Texas really missed Watts yesterday.

I thought he returned later in the game.

Yea we missed Watts!!!! I don’t think Holmes got the memo were a physically team.  Idk my eyes may have deceived me but it looked like on one run he let the WR block him instead of making a tackle. I really hope that wasn’t the case. I thought Holmes would be a better start with his speed (thinking OU would go deep) but nah give me Watts 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol “Gideon get off your ass and get someone to pair with this 5 star safety that you just got out of LOUISIANA. Lazy bum”

I believe that was more Terry than Gideon but hey if I’m wrong I stand corrected 

• Hook 'Em 2