Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Soloman Williams still a take?  Smith/Filsaime/Black all are obviously, and we are still trying to add another DL.  Haven't heard much on the OL front, maybe we stick with the three we have.  

Most of the IT updates indicate Texas isn’t pushing for Williams. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

so much fishiness with him.

Not really, he took one trip that he didn't tell the staff about. According to Gerry he has been above board ever since. Florida desperately wants him so they are going to keep trying until signing day. I think their defensive class starting to fall apart really helps us down the stretch, particularly after the Mack flip and potential flip of Filsame. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Per Gerry/Justin

2024 EE's
QB - Trey Owens
RB - Jerrick Gibson, Christian Clark(Maybe - Working through all the HOOPS you have to jump through out of Arizona)
WR - Ryan Wingo, Parker Livingstone(Wells notes that Livingstone should be able to go through spring ball)
TE - Jordan Washington
OL - Brandon Baker, Daniel Cruz
DL - D'Antre Robinson, Alex January(will be 17 when he steps foot on campus)
Edge - Colin Simmons, Zina Umeozulu
LB - NA
DB - Jordon Johnson-Rubell, Wardell Mack
Players of Note: TJ Lindsey, Xavier Filsaime, Tyanthony Smith, Kobe Black

13 commits confirmed EE's but If Clark makes it in early that is 14. With Kobe's upcoming commitment and potential flip of Filsaime and Smith that would push the number to 16-17.

Tyanthony Smith not visiting this weekend was a Texas decision that way the visit doesn't feel rushed. 

Not sure if he will still be in the class but Dubose is graduating early. His play definitely could use improvement.

36 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Not sure if he will still be in the class but Dubose is graduating early. His play definitely could use improvement.

First year back from an ACL I’d cut him some slack. How bad are his numbers?

I know he qualified for state in track (400m) and finished 3rd, so it sounds like he’s at least got his straight line speed back. 

4 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Not a ton, but it shows great conditioning and a willingness to work hard.

He is going to get a redshirt year most likely, so he will be three years out from his injury by the time he has opportunity to compete for playing time. I am not too worried about his athleticism. 

First year back from an ACL I’d cut him some slack. How bad are his numbers?
I know he qualified for state in track (400m) and finished 3rd, so it sounds like he’s at least got his straight line speed back. 

Been to every game he played this season and it’s not been good. Shows flashes but has had a real bad case of the drops and attitude that is less than ideal. Doesn’t look anywhere close to pre-injury quickness imo.
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Been to every game he played this season and it’s not been good. Shows flashes but has had a real bad case of the drops and attitude that is less than ideal. Doesn’t look anywhere close to pre-injury quickness imo.

That's too bad, but he'll get a chance to make a case for himself here before transferring to UTSA or Incarnate Word if it doesn't work out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

The people that remember Lam Jones are now eligible to collect social security. 

FYI to the Lam Jones witnesses, the hot band not only has a new album out, but you are part of a select group who can buy tickets to their concert in Houston 2 days before the general public.

IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0467.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't shit about the draft , but I'm sure some dumb GMs are going to pass on one of most significant defense players since Suh .

Sweat requires double teaming and still has crazy stats 
The really crazy part is he hasn't played his best football yet. Even last year his skills weren't developed enough to consistently dominate like he's been doing this year. I could be wrong, but I think he gets picked higher than most here think. That said I think Murphy is probably the first Longhorn defensive player off the board, and possibly before Worthy, Mitchell and Sanders depending on team needs. (I have no idea about that, the NFL can suck a fat one)
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ousux said:
On 11/21/2023 at 8:52 AM, BigHornedLurker said:
I don't shit about the draft , but I'm sure some dumb GMs are going to pass on one of most significant defense players since Suh .

Sweat requires double teaming and still has crazy stats 

The really crazy part is he hasn't played his best football yet. Even last year his skills weren't developed enough to consistently dominate like he's been doing this year. I could be wrong, but I think he gets picked higher than most here think. That said I think Murphy is probably the first Longhorn defensive player off the board, and possibly before Worthy, Mitchell and Sanders depending on team needs. (I have no idea about that, the NFL can suck a fat one)

Byron murphy? Murphy is a try hard, 6’1” DT with short arms. NFL scouts, gms, and size queens are going to hate murphy. Let I remind you Poona ford went undrafted. And you think he’s the first longhorn defender off the board?

So you have a ‘shroom guy. Share the hookup. Otherwise I’ll bet you 10k right now that Murphy isn’t the first dude off the board. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

Byron murphy? Murphy is a try hard, 6’1” DT with short arms. NFL scouts, gms, and size queens are going to hate murphy. Let I remind you Poona ford went undrafted. And you think he’s the first longhorn defender off the board?
So you have a ‘shroom guy. She’s the hookup. Otherwise I’ll bet you 10k right now that Murphy isn’t the first dude off the board. 

I don't bet on anything, but if it's either Murph or Sweat that goes before any others.

Just now, ousux said:
14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:
So you have a ‘shroom guy. She’s the hookup. Otherwise I’ll bet you 10k right now that Murphy isn’t the first dude off the board. 

I don't bet on anything, but if it's either Murph or Sweat that goes before any others.

I think Worthy, Mitchell, Ewers and Sanders (whoever declares) go before Murphy, but he'll still go 3rd or 4th round. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Worthy, Mitchell, Ewers and Sanders (whoever declares) go before Murphy, but he'll still go 3rd or 4th round. 
Everyone was watching when Sweat and Murphy worked Bama's O-line, and that includes some NFL scouts and GM's. Having said that, I don't follow the NFL until it's playoff time so I have no idea which teams need players at what position, or even the quality of players declaring from other programs.

13 minutes ago, ousux said:
27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sweat maybe. Murphy? He won’t go before the 3rd round. So it sounds like you’re basing your predictions on personal feelings, or whatever BillFromLakeTravis consumes regularly, which I just assume is gasoline fumes or his own farts mixed with nitrous oxide. 

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
12 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Everyone was watching when Sweat and Murphy worked Bama's O-line, and that includes some NFL scouts and GM's. Having said that, I don't follow the NFL until it's playoff time so I have no idea which teams need players at what position, or even the quality of players declaring from other programs.

You also have no clue about what the nfl values in  players it drafts.

• Hook 'Em 1