Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Foster signed with Baylor. Highest rated recruit in their abysmal class. They must have offered him a piece of the new Pappadeaux. 

I wonder why Texas didn't push. I thought they wanted a developmental piece. 

I think the money is there for a transfer, and development pieces usually don't stick around long enough to actually develop. And the new DL coach probably doesn't have a strong enough opinion or voice with Sark yet to make a strong case for Foster. So, the focus is going to be on the next recruiting class after we pick up the transfer.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Level of competition is a very valid point when it’s Traylon Shead or Jalin Conyers putting up huge numbers running in straight lines against 2A kids and then clocking 12 seconds plus in the 100m during track season.

When you see a dude making jump cuts that look like CGI effects, it doesn’t really matter what the competition is.

I saw Shead play his Sr. year,  he was good,  but   probably should have played defense in college.

It  was obvious that the best player on Cayuga's team that year was Malcolm Kennedy.  He went to aggy,  was productive and I think made it to the NFL? 

Stats will get in the way of good evaluation at times.  

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Was supposed to be and extra (“background), “Ghoul #2”, for an episode of some new spooky kids series around the year 2000 (or 2001) and the episode was being directed by Anson Williams… a.k.a. “Potsie”.

I was supposed to be quiet in the scene, but Potsie could tell that it would be stupid for the two ghouls in the scene to be quiet, so he gave me the line “ARRRRRRR!!!!”

That took my one day pay from about $130 to $800. I will always respect him for that.

SIDE NOTE: I had to sit in a chair in the Hair & Make Up trailer for 2-3 hours getting my ghoul face & head professionally done. 

During that time, some attractive teen actress popped in to get touched up. She was definitely a “15 will get you 20” age and that was much younger than I was, but I could see in the mirror that “the camera loved her.”

About two years ago, I discovered that that girl was about a 15 year-old Kaley Cuoco. Potsie had an eye for talent.

I think this.is the funniest scene in movie history 

93ce5473-be47-428d-ba71-ff3b6dac0557_text.gif

Edited by NorLa Horns
Cus
  • Hook 'Em 3

How Bobby ranks each player in our 2024 class:

2024 Texas Recruits

1. WR, Ryan Wingo

2. Edge, Colin Simmons

3. S, Xavier Filsaime

4. OL, Brandon Baker

5. CB, Wardell Mack

6. OL, Daniel Cruz

7. RB, Christian Clark

8. TE, Jordan Washington

9. Edge, Zina Umeozulu

10. QB, Trey Owens

11. RB, Jerrick Gibson

12. OL, Nate Kibble

13. DL, Alex January

14. LB, Tyanthony Smith

15. CB, Kobe Black

16. WR, Parker Livingstone

17. S, Jordon Johnson-Rubell

18. DL, Melvin Hills

19. WR/ATH, Aaron Butler

20. CB, Santana Wilson

21. P, Michael Kerns

22. WR, Freddie Dubose Jr. (inj.)

Note: I'm interested to see if Dubose heals further from his injury. I would rate him differently if I knew that for sure.

OTF Bobby links:

2024 Class: The Superlatives

https://ontexasfootball.com/news/thursday-the-superlatives-r169/

How I Would Rank Them

I always get asked how I would rank the Texas recruits within the recruiting class. I've been doing this for 20+ years now.

I've gotten some right and some wrong. So don't take what I say or how I rank these players as the gospel. It's just another man's opinion based on what I've seen and what I've been told.

https://ontexasfootball.com/news/how-i-would-rank-them-r165/

spoiler: he is very high on Cruz and Clark

Gerry in the comments on Clark:

image.png.ba1200a16310c028833f8bf40278666c.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

2024 Texas Recruits

1. OL, Brandon Baker

2. Edge, Colin Simmons

3. WR, Ryan Wingo

4. S, Xavier Filsaime

5. CB, Wardell Mack

6. OL, Daniel Cruz

7. RB, Christian Clark

8. CB, Kobe Black

9. CB, Santana Wilson

10. DL, Alex January

11. Edge, Zina Umeozulu

12. WR/ATH, Aaron Butler

13. , DL, Melvin Hills

14. RB, Jerrick Gibson

15. TE, Jordan Washington

16. QB, Trey Owens

17. LB, Tyanthony Smith

18. S, Jordon Johnson-Rubell

19. OL, Nate Kibble

20. WR, Parker Livingstone

21. P, Michael Kerns

22. WR, Freddie Dubose Jr. (inj.)

Actually Kerns should probably move way up because he will start early, but he is a punter so...

Edited by Bevo

11 hours ago, ousux said:
On 2/5/2024 at 3:44 PM, Bevo said:
And Buffalo Gap.

I know that place! Perrini ranch steakhouse, rehab center for celebs who don't like paparazzi and not much else. Steaks are good though.

Try their Sunday cowboy chuckwagon buffet.  Or their burger.

My favorite restaurant in this state.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Was supposed to be and extra (“background), “Ghoul #2”, for an episode of some new spooky kids series around the year 2000 (or 2001) and the episode was being directed by Anson Williams… a.k.a. “Potsie”.

I was supposed to be quiet in the scene, but Potsie could tell that it would be stupid for the two ghouls in the scene to be quiet, so he gave me the line “ARRRRRRR!!!!”

That took my one day pay from about $130 to $800. I will always respect him for that.

SIDE NOTE: I had to sit in a chair in the Hair & Make Up trailer for 2-3 hours getting my ghoul face & head professionally done. 

During that time, some attractive teen actress popped in to get touched up. She was definitely a “15 will get you 20” age and that was much younger than I was, but I could see in the mirror that “the camera loved her.”

About two years ago, I discovered that that girl was about a 15 year-old Kaley Cuoco. Potsie had an eye for talent.

Untitled.png.314641a8f1a5a56e53a068d3a4b350e0.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0661057/?ref_=nm_flmg_eps_tt_1

Only posting this because I'm pretty sure I'm not doxxing you.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Try their Sunday cowboy chuckwagon buffet.  Or their burger.

My favorite restaurant in this state.

I ordered a Prime Rib and they don't serve it w/ Au jus.

Big WTF for me. 

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Untitled.png.314641a8f1a5a56e53a068d3a4b350e0.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0661057/?ref_=nm_flmg_eps_tt_1

Only posting this because I'm pretty sure I'm not doxxing you.

Yep, I think that this was the one. 

No doxxing, because I would have had to contact IMDB and insert myself in the cast list. 

Would say:

[Napoleon]…………Ghoul #2 (Uncredited)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Yep, I think that this was the one. 

No doxxing, because I would have had to contact IMDB and insert myself in the cast list. 

Would say:

[Napoleon]…………Ghoul #2 (Uncredited)

If you said a line on camera, that’s SAG baby. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

If you said a line on camera, that’s SAG baby. 

Correct!

But I was already SAG after getting SAG Vouchers 2 out of the 4 days I was “Blue Collar Guy with Blue Collar Car” in the big Nicolas Cage jumping a flatbed tow truck by using its ramp up on the bridge over the Port of LA to get away from the cops as he was stealing his last car in “Gone In 60 Seconds” because I offered to keep the cooler of drinks for the extras up on the bridge in the back seat of my car. 

Then I got my 3rd voucher by hitting up my high school buddy’s suite mate from sophomore year at Princeton who cast me as an extra in an mental hospital in a scene from the cable show that he and his brother wrote & directed. 

Ahhhh… the glamour of Hollywood!

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Correct!

But I was already SAG after getting SAG Vouchers 2 out of the 4 days I was “Blue Collar Guy with Blue Collar Car” in the big Nicolas Cage jumping a flatbed tow truck by using its ramp up on the bridge over the Port of LA to get away from the cops as he was stealing his last car in “Gone In 60 Seconds” because I offered to keep the cooler of drinks for the extras up on the bridge in the back seat of my car. 

Then I got my 3rd voucher by hitting up my high school buddy’s suite mate from sophomore year at Princeton who cast me as an extra in an mental hospital in a scene from the cable show that he and his brother wrote & directed. 

image.gif.b429dfeb2b690e0acbf19100af4bf483.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Time to fire this thread down. Good class. Unjustly rated by On3 and 247 'gards repeating the old tired line, Texas doesn't develop talent. 

It's never stopped those dickheads from giving Shane Beamer recruits 5 stars. 

All our commits are actually five stars!  Okay, not all because we have to be realistic. We'll say 90 percent. If only the man didn't keep us down!

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Correct!

Are you still working in Hollywood?  I left in 2009 after 7 years working in management/producing.  Brutal business filled with egotistical children in adult bodies. Lol

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Are you still working in Hollywood?  I left in 2009 after 7 years working in management/producing.  Brutal business filled with egotistical children in adult bodies. Lol

Nope. Got distracted, lost sight of why I wanted to move there in the first place (write sitcoms), had no mentor and no focus and went to Argentina to take Spanish for two months in mid-late 2007.

Seven-and-a-half years later, I moved back to the USA full time after taking Spanish, teaching English, giving city tours, running a small tour company, and picking up 🇦🇷 citizenship among other things. 

That said, my roommate on this wedding cruise/yachting trip in the Virgin Islands a few weeks ago was a middle school/high school buddy who is an Academy Award nominated documentarian and was heading back to LA before going to Sundance at the end of the week.

Also on the wedding ship was the college suite mate of the groom who flew in from filming his Netflix (or Amazon?) series that he’s been doing for a few years. And a former roommate/Texas Ex from early in my time in LA has been a script supervisor, predominantly for kids shows, for over 20 years now. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Nope. Got distracted, lost sight of why I wanted to move there in the first place (write sitcoms), had no mentor and no focus and went to Argentina to take Spanish for two months in mid-late 2007.

Seven-and-a-half years later, I moved back to the USA full time after taking Spanish, teaching English, giving city tours, running a small tour company, and picking up 🇦🇷 citizenship among other things. 

That said, my roommate on this wedding cruise/yachting trip in the Virgin Islands a few weeks ago was a middle school/high school buddy who is an Academy Award nominated documentarian and was heading back to LA before going to Sundance at the end of the week.

Also on the wedding ship was the college suite mate of the groom who flew in from filming his Netflix (or Amazon?) series that he’s been doing for a few years. And a former roommate/Texas Ex from early in my time in LA has been a script supervisor, predominantly for kids shows, for over 20 years now. 

Cool. I live out here too tell em to hit me up if they need an old beefy dude 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Carter thought he should have the same NIL outlook as his teammate, Baker, and ultimately only Auburn was valuing IOL that way. 

I get that from all sides. I assume Carter thinks he is as good as Baker. Baker is an OT and Carter is a guard, though, and tackles are more highly sought after.

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, those guys think we care a lot more about Micah Hudson than any of us do. That guy said he could write a book about that recruitment, and I think he just did. Geez. I stopped reading that section in order to avoid nap time. Otherwise, there were some interesting snippets. I'll add some more color to a few of the names:

-Texas would have had their pick of any QB in the 2024 cycle had they not landed Manning in the 2023 cycle. I think it worked out better for Texas. Manning is a better prospect than any of the guys in the 2024 cycle and Owens is a damned good recruit for this cycle and the QB room.

Eh I think you're downplaying how much angst there was around the Hudson recruitment at the time (and I don't browse the 247 forums but I imagine it was even worse there). And now they're outright saying that it wasn't about the legacy aspect at all, really burning that bridge entirely down. Plus didn't he lie to Gerry (maybe more 9.95ers as well) which caused a whole flip on how they reported the recruitment? 

Agree on the QB situation, if Ewers had entered the draft this year we would have been talking ourselves into Cam Ward, Will Howard, or a true freshman best case. Always take the guy in an earlier class if it's remotely close. 

Edited by Teryor

Sounds a lot like the NFL if we're honest. At least CFB has the excuse of most of the players less than 2 years removed from HS.

Seven-and-a-half years later, I moved back to the USA full time after taking Spanish, teaching English, giving city tours, running a small tour company, and picking up citizenship among other things. 
Don't have to live there to write these days. A coworker has a cousin who recently moved back to Texas with her screenwriter husband, and they seem to be doing quite well in spite of my coworkers cousin not really having a job or much income that anyone can tell. They only lived in an apartment for 6 months before buying a decently nice house in the area and are now shopping in the Indianapolis area for another so they'll have their own place when they visit his parents. He's still actively screenwriting remotely (between strikes) and only flies to LA when he needs to a few times a year. Like everyone else that moved they got fed up with the taxes, cost of housing and ever increasing crime. They had an older Honda Accord when they arrived (windows replaced several times) and immediately bought a new BMW EV once they arrived and got settled.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Then in mid November I got a text from my most trusted source in East Texas telling me to be on the lookout for Hampton to announce a flip to Alabama in a few days. I passed it on to Texas who seemed to smooth things over for the most part and soon enough it was back to smooth sailing.

Obviously this happens and 9.95ers pass things (or try to at least) back to the staff through their sources. But I find it interesting he's willing to straight up put that out there that he passed info to the staff to help them keep a recruit.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good stuff.

-Bo Davis really wasn't super excited about McKinley. Both of those guys winding up at LSU will be interesting. I hope Bo doesn't yell too much.

-Jayden Jackson's agent told people that he was a $600k guy early on. No one confirmed that for him. Ultimately, OU decided they had to have him and went in with a presentation that both Ohio State and Texas heard about and said "yeah, you should go there if that's their offer" and never looked back. 

-The story isn't that dissimilar to the TJ Lindsey-to-Auburn recruitment.

-Texas felt like they were fine letting Becton head elsewhere.

-Okoye was a home school guy and folks who met him referenced a "weird vibe" about the guy. It will be interesting to see how he works out for the sooners.

-The entire Selman Bridges paragraph could be summed up like this: "He wanted to be the main priority at CB and he was going to be like the 5th DB in the class for Texas. He would rather go to a program that is in free fall because of the promise for early playing time was more important than being developed at Texas."

-Gipson had a bad knee injury this year. Clemson is going to have to develop that absolute shit out of that guy. Good luck to both sides. I'm glad he did not wind up in UT's class. One of the more hilarious misses by Nahlin in a long line of misses. His meltdown on that one was gold.

-You can see these guys really squinting to try to see why Texas didn't land Bussey. Other than Sarkisian being a little bit of a starfucker, Texas never made a strong push and liked other players better.

-Aeryn Hampton profiles as a predictable bust. 

This was a class in which Texas really did have many solid options and in many instances, decided to punt. Obviously some of those guys will work out. I'm interested in seeing how well it goes for everyone, because I think Texas got a lot of things right in this cycle.

Okoye is honestly a bit perplexing. Measurables check out, and his highlights kind of check out until you realize he is abusing future accountants and eSports "athletes". Is he a D1 player? Probably, but I think he is more likely to be the second coming of Trey Metoyer than to be an on field menace in the SEC. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good stuff.

-Bo Davis really wasn't super excited about McKinley. Both of those guys winding up at LSU will be interesting. I hope Bo doesn't yell too much.

-Jayden Jackson's agent told people that he was a $600k guy early on. No one confirmed that for him. Ultimately, OU decided they had to have him and went in with a presentation that both Ohio State and Texas heard about and said "yeah, you should go there if that's their offer" and never looked back. 

-The story isn't that dissimilar to the TJ Lindsey-to-Auburn recruitment.

-Texas felt like they were fine letting Becton head elsewhere.

-Okoye was a home school guy and folks who met him referenced a "weird vibe" about the guy. It will be interesting to see how he works out for the sooners.

-The entire Selman Bridges paragraph could be summed up like this: "He wanted to be the main priority at CB and he was going to be like the 5th DB in the class for Texas. He would rather go to a program that is in free fall because of the promise for early playing time was more important than being developed at Texas."

-Gipson had a bad knee injury this year. Clemson is going to have to develop that absolute shit out of that guy. Good luck to both sides. I'm glad he did not wind up in UT's class. One of the more hilarious misses by Nahlin in a long line of misses. His meltdown on that one was gold.

-You can see these guys really squinting to try to see why Texas didn't land Bussey. Other than Sarkisian being a little bit of a starfucker, Texas never made a strong push and liked other players better.

-Aeryn Hampton profiles as a predictable bust. 

This was a class in which Texas really did have many solid options and in many instances, decided to punt. Obviously some of those guys will work out. I'm interested in seeing how well it goes for everyone, because I think Texas got a lot of things right in this cycle.

Do you have any insight into the late signing of Butler? was that due to Hampton flipping? Felt like literally no one knew about him till he had a commitment ceremony.